Chapter 1

Model in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was sitting cross-legged, surveying Seoul in its finest glory. Dawn was approaching, and it tinted the sky gorgeous shades of red, orange and yellow, setting fire to the city landscape. Its beauty was undeniable, and -

My iPhone's ring tone completely interrupted my mental monologue that will totally win an Oscar one day. I have faith.

"Hello?" I asked, in my best "publicity" voice.

I was sitting on a bench in Namsan Tower, alone.

"Yoongie! It's me, Kris."

"Oh! Hey, Kris. What's up?"

"Darling, I heard about Jongin. Are you going to be okay?" he babbled, worry coloring his tone.

"I'll be fine," I said, smiling a little. Kris was my manager. He was totally adorable (even though he hated that word and preferred 'cool' instead), and was the absolute best. He was gay, you couldn't tell really by the way he acts, dresses, talks, it's unpredictable. Jongin was the most jealous guy I'd ever known, and I knew he would've flipped out if I didn't get either a gay man or a straight woman. That's right. He was afraid I could've turned gay and left him. I kind of wish I had, now. "He was always an idot."

"Yeah, he was," Kris said, laughing. "But he left you for that Sohee. I think that makes him go from idiot to totally brain-dead."

I laughed now, the first time I'd laugh since Jongin had packed up his bags and told me that we were too different and left me to pay for the rent on the new flat we'd just picked out. As in, the day before. He was such a jerk. A tear leaked from my eye, and I captured it between my fingers before it could ruin my mascara. I didn't need Jongin to break my heart and ruin my face in the same week.

"Well, this should cheer you up. You got a job."

"Well," I said, sighing, my smile gone. Before, the word job would have made my heart jump. Now, however... "Let me have it. Swimsuit modeling? Lingerie Catalog? TV ad for a small-time channel in Oklahoma? What?"

"No, darling, this is a big one. A really big one."

Forgetting my heart-brokeness, I sat up.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice completely over-the-top excited.

"You have been asked to be the lead in a film."

I almost fell off the bench, and tumbled down the hill.

"What?!" I screamed, jumping off the bench. "A FILM?!"

Was this the big break I needed? After my massive debut film eight years ago, I'd wrecked every single acting job I'd gotten. My first job had been too much pressure for me - I was only eleven at the time, though. I was completely and utterly certain I could beat the problem I had all those years ago.

"There's a catch."

I paused. I knew it was too good to be true. I sat back down onto the bench. I knew the catch would be something like - it's a geeky science documentary with a hundred words you wouldn't understand, or it's not a real film but a gay o, or you'll be the lead in spirit but you'll really only have two lines, et

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter