The Day

Just One Day

 

 

No one else was here.

 

It was just Jaehee.

 

Jaehee sat alone and placed a bouquet of red roses on the grass near her love’s tombstone. She looked up at the marble-surfaced rock.

 

Jung Hoseok

February 18, 1994 – May 7, 2014

20 years and 76 days of a hopeful presence

 

She still feels the tightening of her heart as her wet, swollen eyes scanned across the writing on the stone. Jaehee promised herself not to cry anymore, but whenever she arrived at Hoseok’s graveyard, she can’t help but go blind from so many bitter tears blurring her vision.

 

It became a regular routine for her to stop by his grave every morning before going out to classes, or to work, or just to see him before starting her day of maybe just staying in. Today, however, because she had classes early in the morning, she decided to finish up her day by seeing Hoseok.

 

It’s been a rough week for Jaehee since Hoseok’s death. She now walked a lonely path. She now woke up to a cold, quiet room. The music she and Hoseok always listened to now brought tears to her eyes. The activities they used to share together haunted her memories.

 

She didn’t hear his cheerful voice anymore.

 

She didn’t see his bright smile anymore.

 

She couldn’t feel his warm touches anymore.

 

Jaehee could only find in her memory of her being happy only around him. She could only find her laughter and joyfulness when with Hoseok. She could almost remember how soothing his voice was.  She could almost remember how soft his touches were, and she could almost see the performing Hoseok every time she closed her eyes.

 

When Jaehee first heard of the news, she couldn’t believe her ears. When she saw him in his death bed, she still couldn’t believe her eyes. Jaehee couldn’t do anything but cry, cry, cry, and cry some more. It wasn’t like he was going to come back, but whatever it was, she had hope. She hoped that he would just wake up and tell her that it was just a prank he and his friends were playing on her like last time. It was the hope that he taught her to have. It was the hope that he gave to her, and even though he was really dead, she still had hope of him coming back.

 

Her tears fell onto the soil six feet above Hoseok’s coffin.

 

“Hoseok,” Jaehee started quietly, holding back the involuntarily urge to break down. “Just one day, if I can be with you,” her voice cracked. “Just for one day, if I can hold your hands again, I would do it all.”

 

She wiped her tears and placed her hands on the tombstone. “Hoseok, do you hear me? If I had just one day, it’s possible. I just need one more day, Hoseok. Give me one more day to tell you how much I love you. Give me one more day to tell you how much I miss you. If only we can be together, I’ll explain it all. I just need one more day, Hoseok.” Jaehee started crying. “Please?”

 

It seemed as if Jaehee took Hoseok’s death harder than everyone because they have been together for so long. They have been friends since junior high and started dating up until now. Jaehee has never had time to become friends with the girls her age because Hoseok was always there for her. He was her best friend and her boyfriend. Jaehee has never had any slumber parties with any girls and talked about how cute the new transfer student was because Hoseok was always the only one in her eyes. They had each other, and they only planned on having each other.

 

Jaehee lost track of time but when she actually realized so, she heard the clouds roaring from above, signaling that it was to rain soon. She forgot to check the weather that morning- rather since Hoseok’s death. The dark clouds covered up the sun as it began setting. Jaehee promised Hoseok she’ll visit again tomorrow morning before leaving the cemetery with a heavy heart.

 

I hope I can be with you for just one day,” Jaehee thought to herself as she looked back at Hoseok’s tombstone once more before entering her car. She started her driving to her apartment. She didn’t have anything to do anymore now that Hoseok was gone. Usually, even though they didn’t go anywhere, they’d at least watch an all-time movie together. Or, they could just sleep in together. There was nothing that they couldn’t do when they were together.

 

She realized the tiny rain droplets that fell onto the windshield of the car she and Hoseok always drove in. Jaehee didn’t think much of it, knowing that it was probably just another minor thunderstorm that she mentally predicted a while ago. However, as the seconds went by, the once small raindrops increased in size and more fell. Jaehee couldn’t see anything past her windshield due to the heavy rain pouring down on her. She realized that the sky totally turned dark as she the wipers at its highest speed. She couldn’t see anything but sudden short lightning light the sky.

 

By the time Jaehee got home, the wind was blowing at a very high speed. She literally thought that she wouldn’t be able to get inside her apartment building since it was such a struggle to walk against the wind. Jaehee’s clothes were soaked by the time she got inside to her room. Even though she didn’t pay attention to the weather forecasts, she didn’t think the weather would turn out this bad. The day before that day was just perfectly fine.

 

She looked out her window at the harsh weather passing by Seoul. This time, she saw lightning bolts shoot across the sky near her apartment. It was a usual thing in Seoul. The only unusual idea was that they were receiving such sudden weather.

 

Jaehee went straight to the bathroom to take a warm shower after fighting the rain. She got dressed in one of Hoseok’s baggy exercise shirts and a pair of her own comfortable shorts before coming out to the living room- only to find that she was hungry. She cooked herself some instant ramen before settling down in front of her TV. She changed the channel from Hoseok’s favorite show (Jaehee has watched nothing but Hoseok’s favorite show) to the weather channel. She stared at the screen but nothing the meteorologist was saying was being processed in Jaehee’s mind.

 

Even though she always thought Hoseok’s favorite show was boring, she watched it anyways with him because he liked it.  She liked what he liked, and he liked what she liked. Jaehee didn’t remember that eating ramen noodles was so boring. Whenever she ate food with Hoseok, regardless of if it was enough or not, it always tasted delicious. Jaehee couldn’t eat this boring ramen anymore. She walked up to the now dark kitchen and threw her food away. She washed her bowl and put it away.

 

Jaehee has never met anyone who glowed like Hoseok. He was someone who had the power to outshine everything and every obstacle in life. Because Hoseok was gone, every corner of their apartment was dark and room was filled with shadows.

 

As she walked out of the kitchen, Jaehee was frightened by the sudden ringing of her phone- still in her bag in her room. She went to her room and looked at the caller ID on her phone’s screen. Jaehee stopped answering calls from people other than her family. Sometimes, she wouldn’t even answer anyone’s calls. At times, Jaehee still calls Hoseok’s number because she misses his voice so much. No matter how many videos and pictures they’ve taken together, Jaehee still haven’t had enough memories with him yet.

 

Mom

 

The caller ID read to Jaehee. She hesitated, not wanting to pick it up. However, she decided to answer it because she has already decline so many of her mother’s phone calls.

 

“Mom?” She started.

 

“Jaehee!” She heard her mother’s concerned, high pitched voice through the other line. “Jaehee, you’ve finally answered!”

 

“Can I help you with something?” Jaehee asked, already tired of talking with her mother.

 

“Jaehee, are you doing okay? Are you home safely? The news said that tonight’s storm was unexpected. Everyone is surprised by the weather. You’re home safely, right?”

 

Jaehee knew this was going to be the results of not declining her mother’s call- questions. “Yes, mom.”

 

“That’s great.” Jaehee heard her mother release a sigh of relief. “Jaehee, are you doing okay?”

 

Jaehee was suddenly surprised at the question. She doesn’t remember her mother really asking her this question since Hoseok’s death. “Of course I am, mom. Why?”

 

“I’m just wondering, Jaehee, you know, since you’ve dismissed so many of my calls.” Her mother put the last part into a joking tone. Jaehee can see the amount of effort her mother was putting into making her feel better about the entire situation. “Are you still… You know, visiting Hoseok?”

 

Jaehee sighed. Was her mother disappointed that she still was, or did she just feel neutral about the situation? “Yes, I am.”

 

“Jaehee,” her mother started. “Jaehee sweetie, don’t you think it’s time to let-“

 

“Mom, is there a reason why you called me?” Jaehee cut in before her mother can finish her question. She knew what her mother was going to ask, and she knew- very clearly, that she wasn’t ready to answer any of those questions.

 

“Jaehee…” Jaehee hated when her mother said her name like that. The entire emotion that her tone explained was disappointment. “Jaehee, I actually called to talk about that.”

 

Jaehee sighed, hating to talk about this subject. “Let’s just get to the main point.”

 

“Jaehee,” Jaehee’s mother’s voice called again. “Well, first of all, don’t think that your father and I aren’t upset at Hoseok’s death. We really are, and we are trying to understand you. But, we have been talking, and we’re thinking about bringing you home, Jaehee.”

 

Jaehee didn’t reply, she wanted to hear the rest of the plan. “Jaehee, what do you think?”

 

Maybe not. “Why?” Jaehee’s voice cracked.

 

“Well, because, we’re thinking that if you can’t support yourself living there alone, then you can always come home, you know, now that Hoseok isn’t there to help you with the rent anymore. Also, there’s no one to watch over you, and if you don’t mind then you can come home…”

 

Her mother went on, but Jaehee didn’t know what to feel about this proposal. She wasn’t sure if her parents were doing this because they didn’t think that she could do it alone, or just simply because they were worried about her. She didn’t want her parents to pamper her because of the death of her boyfriend. Jaehee didn’t want her parents to look over her as if she can’t do it by herself.

 

“Mom,” she stopped her mother once again. “Thank you to you and dad for worrying about me, but as of right now, I think I’m okay here alone. I’ll come live with you and dad when I feel I can’t do this anymore.”

 

“But Jaehee, I-”

 

“I said I got this, mom. Don’t worry.” Jaehee didn’t like raising her voice at her mother, but at this time of life, she just couldn’t hold it all in anymore. She was grouchier due to Hoseok’s death and the way the people around her reacted to her behavior.

 

Jaehee thought she heard her mother say something but stopped. “I understand, Jaehee. You’re always welcome home whenever you want to, Dear.”

 

“Thank you.” Jaehee hung up. Maybe her mother meant no harm, but Jaehee was slightly offended. She’s having mixed feelings about her life. She doesn’t know what to do anymore. In every one of her future plans, she had an open space for Hoseok, but now that he was gone she couldn’t see anything but darkness.

 

Jaehee walked out of her room and laid down on the Hoseok’s “side” of the couch. She stared at the woman on the weather channel blab on about finding shelter due to the intense thunderstorm.  However, her mind wasn’t concentrated on anything but the familiar scent that embraced her. She can still smell the natural scent of Hoseok’s but it was wearing down. It wasn’t as strong as it used to be when he was around anymore. It wasn’t as vivid as it was when he was still present.

 

No one understood her. No one knows the pain she’s going through of trying to rebuild her life. Her habit of visiting Hoseok and living alone was just a way for her to forget everything that has happened. Does anyone not understand that? Jaehee just wants to be left alone at the moment. If it’s not Hoseok, she doesn’t want anyone to comfort her. She doesn’t need anyone to comfort her.

 

She changed the channel to something that would at least keep her mind off the subject of Hoseok. She came across a channel with cartoon characters in it, only where happily ever after happens. Jaehee didn’t realize that she was actually so tired until she noticed that she was dozing off. It had been a long day for her- just like other days. Her eyes started closing as the scent of Hoseok still hugged her tightly against the couch. She yawned and looked at the clock on the wall near the television. She wasn’t surprised to be tired. After all, it was already 10:49.

 

 

 

Jaehee opened her eyes to a headache. She wasn’t sure if it was just another anxiety symptom or if it was because she was getting sick from the battle with the storm the night before. She made a mental note to close the curtains in her room the night before because of the sunrise. Wait, her bedroom? Jaehee stood up, surprised because she fell asleep on the couch the night before.

 

An arm around her waist slipped off and fell onto the bed beside her. She didn’t whose it was. The figure that apparently slept with her turned the other way. She didn’t who it was. Jaehee tried to think about what happened yesterday. She didn’t drink anything- even though it became another routine for her since Hoseok’s death. Could she be going crazy? Could she be losing her mind? What happened the night before? Jaehee was sure that she locked the door. She was sure she slept on the couch. She was sure she didn’t drink anything that could cause her to hallucinate.

 

Her heart beat quickly. Who on Earth is this? Jaehee couldn’t recall anything that happened the night before! All she knew was that she came home and slept on the couch- without anyone else home. Only she and Hoseok had the keys to their place, yet she didn’t let anyone in.

 

Jaehee pulled her hair back to one side- a habit she has when she’s nervous. She walked slowly towards the bed. She gently placed her knees on the bed to make sure she doesn’t wake up this mystery person. She started to really worry when she realized it was a man-like figure. She gulped nervously. Jaehee placed a hand on his shoulder and turned him her way.

 

His face came to Jaehee’s view.

 

Jaehee’s worried expression changed to a surprised expression. Her eyes widened.

 

It was Hoseok.

 

Her hand came to cover in an astonished gesture.

 

The person she thought was disguised as Hoseok budged. His head slightly shook. He was waking up.

 

Jaehee placed her shaking hands on his shoulders. “H-Hoseok?” Her voice quiet and weak, stuttering and cracking. “H-Hoseok?” She gave him a little shake. Tears filled her widened eyes as she observed her dead lover lay in her arms on their bed.

 

His right hand came to his head for a quick scratch before he actually opened his eyes. It was something Hoseok usually did before he woke up. Could it really be him? Jaehee withdrew her hands from his shoulders to see what he would do next. He opened his eyes and checked his surroundings.

 

“H-Hoseok? I-Is that y-you?” Jaehee felt her large droplets of tears fall onto his white wife beater.

 

“Jaehee.” He sat up and pulled her into his embrace. “Jaehee, I missed you so much.” He looked into Jaehee’s eyes that were already crying. He gave her a quick kiss on her lips before pulling her back into his arms. He kissed the top of her head before caressing her back and slowly patting her head.

 

“Why did you leave me?” Hoseok heard his girlfriend sob before weakly hitting his chest with her small fists. He smiled to himself and continued hugging Jaehee close. “Don’t cry anymore, okay? I’m back,” he put a hand on your head and gently pressed it against him. “Everything’s going to be okay for now, Jaehee.”

 

Jaehee started crying like a lost, scared child after he found his mother. Her arms encircled around Hoseok’s waist tightly. She didn’t want to let him go again. She didn’t want to be alone again. Jaehee wasn’t even sure herself if this was really happening or not, but if it was dream, Jaehee knew she definitely did not want to be woken up.

 

Hoseok smiled, happy to finally have Jaehee in his arms once again. He held her tight and even before he knew it, he felt his own tears falling onto the sheets of the bed he used to sleep in with her.

 

 

 

 

 

Hoseok placed a glass of refilled water in front of Jaehee who sat at their table, looking nowhere but him. She was sure that if it was a dream, she would’ve have woken up by now.

 

Even a reunion of tears, Jaehee and Hoseok came out to find something to eat. Even though he didn’t know how to cook, he volunteered to do it this time. Even though there wasn’t much, he was able to put together a decent breakfast of eggs and toast.

 

“Come on,” Hoseok shook Jaehee off of her thoughts. “Drink up,” he sat on the chair opposite of her. “We need to go do some intense grocery shopping, there’s barely anything in the fridge. I’ll treat you out this morning, okay?” Hoseok’s smile was brighter than any other times. His sparkling eyes only looked at Jaehee’s.

 

Jaehee didn’t want to get too engaged into the fact that he was here. She didn’t want to wake up from another dream with her pillows wet. “Hoseok,” she started. Hoseok’s eyes were on her, but when she called his name, he still lifted his eyebrows. “Are you… Really Hoseok?”

 

He smiled and placed a hand on top of her cold hands. “Of course, it’s me. Do you not believe me?” He slightly pouted like he did before when she didn’t believe him.

 

“No,” Jaehee gave him a weak smile and looked down. “It’s just that…” She started slowly.

 

“It seems impossible, huh?” He placed a hand on her cheek and made her look into his eyes. “Jaehee, do you trust me? Do you trust my judgments?”

 

“Of course, I do, Hoseok.” Jaehee said, removing the hand on her face only to hold it. “Why do you ask?”

 

Hoseok shook his head and gave her another smile. “It’s nothing.” He looked down.

 

“When did you come back, Hoseok?” Jaehee asked, gaining back Hoseok’s attention again.

 

He leaned over the table to look at the clock. He stuck out his fingers, counting the number of hours since he arrived. “About… 8 and a half hours?”

 

His response made Jaehee also look up at the clock. “You were here at midnight?”

 

Hoseok nodded. “Ah, I have something to tell you, Jaehee.” He waited until he thought she was ready to hear the news. Even though their eyes were glued together, he was searching for the right time yet he was hesitant about telling her. “I’m here for… Just one day, Jaehee.”

 

“Just one day?”

 

“Just one,” Hoseok said, looking down to avoid the disappointment in his lover’s eyes. “But think of it as 24 hours,” he said, looking back up into her eyes, hoping maybe it’d fix her broken heart by one stitch. “It’s longer that way.”

 

No words were spoken for a few seconds. Nothing was exchanged. Jaehee only looked into Hoseok’s eyes. Hoseok only looked into Jaehee’s eyes. Jaehee thought Hoseok came back to stay with her forever. She thought was back to be with her forever. Jaehee mentally laughed to herself. It was already not possible for Hoseok to come back from the dead, and if he was able to give her just one day, she didn’t feel a thing for thankfulness.

 

Jaehee smiled, something she thought she forgot to do. “It’s okay.” She admitted, also receiving a lovely grin from Hoseok. “I’m happy as long as I get one more day with you.” Hoseok stood up and hugged his Jaehee. He thought she was going to freak out at him because it was only one day- roughly 24 hours. IT wasn’t going to be a surprise if she was angry at him. However, what shocked him more was that she was able to accept it. He knew his girl wasn’t the selfish kind.

 

“Then get ready and go,” Hoseok murmured into Jaehee’s ears. “I’ll clean up since it takes longer for you to get ready. I’ll come right away after I put the dishes away.” He playfully pushed Jaehee to their bedroom.

 

“Hoseok, but-”

 

“No buts, Jaehee.” He said, already walking into the kitchen. “We’ve already wasted about 8 hours.”

 

It hurt Jaehee to think that they did lose some hours, yes, but it didn’t stop Jaehee from also smiling due to the fact that Hoseok was come back. For what seemed like forever, Jaehee’s smiling again.

 

 

 

 

 

“Aren’t you curious to why I came back?” Hoseok asked, giving Jaehee’s hand a squeeze.

 

As he promised, Hoseok took Jaehee out for some light breakfast at a café shop down the street from their apartment building. Today, because it was a special day reserved to only Jaehee, according to Hoseok, he was going to treat her like the princess that he knew she was- although for some unknown reason, they’re going to be walking together as transportation today. It didn’t matter to Jaehee though, in fact, it was her who thought of walking the entire day by Hoseok’s side. “Yeah, the driver’s seat and the passenger’s seat is too far from each other anyways,” Hoseok agreed. Jaehee thought it was romantic to walk side by side and hold hands with your love mate, especially on a day like this. She wanted to do something that they’ve never done. She wanted to experience it at least one time with only Hoseok.

 

Hoseok also had Jaehee promise not to worry too much about time. “It’s only going to waste more time worrying about it.” Hoseok told her when he saw her putting on the watch (he got her) that morning. Jaehee promised not to do so as Hoseok wished. However, it doesn’t mean she wasn’t going to completely ignore time for the entire day…

 

“No,” Jaehee said, looking into Hoseok’s eyes. “I believe that I don’t need to know that. I think I should just be grateful that you’re back for today.” The smile on Hoseok’s face changed. He was slightly surprised by his girlfriend’s response. He placed a hand on top of Jaehee’s hand, giving her a pat. “But I’m curious about one thing.” Jaehee said.

 

“Hmm?” Hoseok rose one eyebrow.

 

“At midnight tonight,” Jaehee started as Hoseok playfully rolled his eyes not wanting to talk about this subject. “Are you just going to disappear out of the nowhere?”

 

Hoseok was hesitant about telling her again, but he figured it was best if he just told her the truth. “It’s going to rain.”

 

“Rain?”

 

Hoseok nodded. “It’s going to rain tonight, just like last night when I came.”

 

Jaehee’s eyebrows pinched together. “Oh, so that was-”

 

“I answered your question.” Hoseok reminded her, giving her another pat on the head before standing up. “To the restroom.” And with that, he walked off to the back of the café shop.

 

Jaehee thought for a while. So no wonder it was raining so much, it was the rude awakening of Hoseok’s comeback. Even so, Jaehee smiled to herself, grateful to have one more day with Hoseok. Heck, she was curious to why and how Hoseok came back like this, but she also didn’t want to know why. She was just grateful and happy that he was back with her even if that meant for just one day. Jaehee looked outside the large café window at the busy Seoul streets that were already filling up with people.

 

It was only the beginning of the day yet Jaehee couldn’t help but wonder what was going to happen to Hoseok that night. She couldn’t help but wonder what was going to happen to her that night. She’s been through the pain once, she doesn’t want to go through it again. If only she can make Hoseok stay with her, she wouldn’t ask for anything more- even if it meant that she was going to lose everything else. She only wants to prevent Hoseok from leaving again.

 

“I’m back,” Hoseok said, sitting down in front of Jaehee again. “Are you done?” Hoseok asked as Jaehee sipped the last of her delicious coffee. “If you’re done then let’s get up and go, today’s a big day.”

 

The couple left the sweet, little café shop. “Where do you want to go? The amusement park? The museum? The ice cream shop?” Hoseok asked, sticking out his fingers one by one as he called out the places where they always go for dates.

 

“In the morning?” Jaehee laughed. “Anywhere is fine as long as I’m with you.”

 

Hoseok pulled her into a quick hug. “When did you learn how to speak like this?” He ruffled her hair for a bit before fixing it back to its original splitting, knowing that she hated it when her hair was messy because of him. “Ah, I have an idea.” He snapped his fingers before looking into her mesmerized wondering eyes. “Let’s walk through the entire Seoul district.”

 

Jaehee wasn’t sure if Hoseok was joking with her or not. Usually, he disliked walking around the crowded streets of Seoul. Jaehee didn’t understand because he enjoyed dancing and exercising, but he didn’t like walking. “Sounds good to me.” Jaehee said, looking up at Hoseok. The looks in his eyes only confirmed it that what she wanted was what he wanted.

 

“Shall we start this way then?” Hoseok said, slightly bent at the waist with a hand out to indicate which way he meant, in a polite gesture. Jaehee rolled her eyes at his cheesiness before walking off in the direction he pointed to. Hoseok caught up to her and stuck his arm out for Jaehee to gladly hold onto.

 

They first stopped at a game arcade at the corner of that long street. Hoseok was particularly surprised when Jaehee asked to stop there. “What? It’s something we always did.” She reminded him, seeming more excited than the man himself. “Let’s go.” Jaehee walked ahead to the game station that was her and Hoseok’s favorite.

 

“Hoseok,” Jaehee said, putting a hand around his neck once they got their tokens and found their final destination. “Let’s make a bet.”

 

Hoseok paused, liking the idea of bets but know he’d always lose to his girlfriend. “Okay.” He smiled.

 

“The person with the least points at the end of the game owes the other a wish.” Jaehee winked, nudging his side.

 

“Sure,” Hoseok said, knowing he was at an advantage because he was the one who introduce the game to Jaehee- he’s had many more experiences with this game than she has. “Let’s do it.”

 

It was an hour after the two played. Hoseok and Jaehee usually played for long hours, but since they had other things on their agenda, they ended the game quick. “That was tiring,” Hoseok said as they got out of the game arcade into the bright sunshine, stretching a bit.

 

“I beat cha,” Jaehee said, proud of herself. She hooked an arm around Hoseok’s neck before pulling him and giving his head a nudge. “Now you have to grant me a wish.”

 

“Hey, hey, hey!” Hoseok yelled out in the public. “Be thankful I was going easy on you.” Hoseok replied, unhooking her arm that was around him. “If I tried really hard, you would have to pay for our next meal as my wish.”

 

“But you didn’t,” Jaehee counterattacked. “So, shh.” She placed a finger against her lips- in a gesture telling Hoseok to be quiet- and smiled at him. Hoseok turned the away way with a disgusted face. They started walking a few steps before he turned back to her. “So what should we do now?”

 

“Hmmmm…” Jaehee thought for a second. “Let’s do something outdoors, it’s a good day today.” She swung an arm around Hoseok’s back, pulling herself closer to him before laying her head on his broad shoulder. “Unless you want to stay in all day long.”

 

“Let’s go biking around the Han River, Jaehee.” He suggested. Her eyes lit up in excitement once more. Biking was what they did as their first few dates. Because it was awkward expressing their affection towards each other, they usually went biking around the Han River. “Let’s do it.” Jaehee said, grabbing hold of Hoseok’s hand. “Let’s ride a subway there,” she proposed. “We’re on the opposite side of the river. It’s going to take us the entire day to walk there.”

 

Hoseok laughed as they began walking to the subway station. What happened to ‘let’s just walk the entire day’? He thought, smiling outwardly. He wrapped an arm around Jaehee’s shoulders before quickly pulling her closer in.

 

They got onto the subway taking them to the Han River after they bought some tickets. It was crowded on the train because it was mid-morning and people were getting up and going to work. Jaehee and Hoseok stood up together and held onto the ceiling railing as the doors of the subway closed, not allowing any more to enter.

 

The subway quickly started and pushed Jaehee’s petite frame into Hoseok. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled, trying to back up to her original spot. “It’s okay,” Hoseok said, pulling her against him again. “We’re just giving them more room, anyways.” He smiled at her, hoping to receive one back. Jaehee looked away, blushing that she was so close against Hoseok.

 

“What? Do you hate me?” He asked, jokingly.

 

“Why? Does it look I like you?” She joked back to him. Hoseok clicked his tongue before lightly hitting his forehead against Jaehee’s. “Ah!” The bumpy ride made the hit more hurtful than its actual intention. They both rubbed their now red foreheads. “What was that for?” she whined, grabbing onto the mental bar behind them because of the sharp turn of the subway train, only to hit her chin on Hoseok’s chest again. “Sorry,” Hoseok apologized after he kissed away the pain on Jaehee’s forehead.

 

The trip to the Han River took longer than they both expected. The many people that were on the train were starting to leave one by one. The more people left, the more people came in. Jaehee and Hoseok had about 3 more trips until they reach the station near the Han River. The two sat down when there was enough room for both. Hoseok suggested that Jaehee go ahead and sit down but she insisted that she wasn’t going to wait until Hoseok got one too.

 

“Jaehee, do you love me?”

 

Hoseok asked out of the nowhere, confusing Jaehee for a second. Hoseok never actually asked Jaehee that, it was just always Jaehee who joked around with that phrase. “Well,” she looked at him. “It all depends on if you love me or not.” She gave him a cheeky smile. Hoseok’s eyes squinted at her and his lips curved downwards in a cute frown. “I’m joking, Hoseok.” Jaehee confessed, patting his head like an owner who does it to his puppy when he listens well. “Why? You don’t love me? I love you.”

 

“Of course, I love you.” Hoseok answered- he hated it when Jaehee doubted his love for her. “I love you so much, you have no idea what I’d do for you.”

 

“Awww,” Jaehee placed her head down on Hoseok’s shoulder as he encircled his arms around her. “How sweet of you.” She closed her eyes for one second. That pure, fresh scent that only Hoseok had, it was back. It made Jaehee happy. “Do you want to be with me forever, Jaehee?” she nodded, eyes still closed. “Forever and always.” She replied.

 

Hoseok and Jaehee got off the subway train when the feminine robotic voice announced that the passengers going to the Han River may get off. Jaehee was glad that they chose to go biking because she really needed something to work out her legs that have been sitting for about 45 minutes straight.

 

They walked hand in hand to the bike rental area. They started riding right away once they were able to the bikes out of their racks. Jaehee followed Hoseok because he knew which way to go, hopefully. Jaehee was happy to go biking once again with Hoseok. Like said, it was one of the first things they did when they started dating. The memories were coming back to Jaehee. It made her sad to think that they biked together when they first started, yet they were doing the same as a farewell to Hoseok.

 

Jaehee snuck a glance at her phone to check on the time. 1:36, she frowned, approximately 11 and a half more hours. She biked up close Hoseok’s side. “Oh, you scared me!” He exclaimed.

 

“You thought only you could lead?” Jaehee questioned. “Try to catch me.” She biked away ahead of Hoseok while chuckling at Hoseok who looked so dumbfounded.

 

“Hey, you think I can’t catch up?” Hoseok started pedaling faster. “I’m a dancer, I can do this.” He slowed down, “You know what, I’ll give a 3 second head start.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Aren’t you going to eat, Jaehee?” Hoseok questioned after stuffing a wrap of meats and sauces into his mouth.

 

After Hoseok and Jaehee returned their bikes, they went back to the city to have lunch since Hoseok was hungry. “I didn’t have anything to eat, you ate all of our food.” Hoseok playfully blamed Jaehee. “Then should I pay for this meal?” Jaehee asked, admitting to what she didn’t even do wrong. “No,” Hoseok went back to being real. “I’ll pay for us, let’s go.”

 

They stopped by a restaurant with a grilling bar. The two of them enjoyed this kind of restaurant the most.

 

“Yeah,” Jaehee said. “I’m just still cooking more meat, Hoseok.” Hoseok looked at Jaehee. “I’ll cook, start eating.” He grabbed her hands and set it down on the table. “It’s okay,” she said. “You said you were hungry earlier. I’ll cook since I didn’t pay.”

 

“Well since I paid and you’re cooking, I’ll feed you.” Hoseok gave Jaehee a cheesy, big smile. He fed her a wrap full of delicious meats and vegetables. Jaehee gladly took it in, happy that it was made with not only good foods but also love from the bottom of her boyfriend’s heart.

 

“I’ll do it myself now, Hoseok.” She said, once she realized that Hoseok was no longer eating due to his occupation of feeding her. He’s fed her one wrap after another, yet she knew he wasn’t done with it.  “It’s my turn to feed you now.” She wiped the side of her lips that had remaining sauce from around the lettuce. “You’re so good at making those wraps, Hoseok.” She complimented. “Say ah, I’ll feed you now.”

 

It wasn’t enough to make Hoseok and Jaehee full, but it was enough to make them not be hungry. It wasn’t necessarily the best of Korea, but it made the satisfied. They had lots to talk about, lots to catch up on. They talked as they ate, trying to make their time longer.

 

“Why do you keep looking at me like that?” Hoseok asked, seeing that Jaehee kept looking at him nonstop.

 

She smiled and shook her head. “Nothing,” she started. “Just trying to remember every detail on your face, you know, while you’re still here.”

 

Hoseok looked into Jaehee’s sadden eyes as they made their ways down. He smiled, not wanting to bring the mood down… just yet. “You won’t need that, Jaehee.” He stood up and leaned over the table to kiss her head. “I will always remain in your heart even if you forget me.”

 

Jaehee smiled sourly inwards, knowing nothing more than the fact that she won’t even let Hoseok go. As Hoseok finished up the last of their meal, Jaehee remained still in her seat. She looked at the hardworking spirit that was still in Hoseok. Even though he knew it more than she did that he wasn’t going to be in bed the morning by her like that morning, Hoseok still tried to make everything happy and normal for her. He was willing to still make her happy like he always had.

 

They finished eating lunch at about three after noon. Hoseok paid as promised before they left the restaurant. They were headed to the karaoke rooms next. Jaehee remembered everything that took place within those rooms. It was a place where Hoseok can finish Jaehee’s duet, and Jaehee finish Hoseok’s. It was place where they can express themselves through music that they both loved so much.

 

Even though some of the activities were repeated events from before Hoseok’s death, Jaehee was still glad to do them all over again. This time, this day, it all felt different from the first time they did it. It had a different feel to every of the things they did together. Jaehee, herself, felt more grateful for this last chance. She felt more thankful for this one last time.

 

It was 8:15 by the time they finished performing their last stage together. This only meant one thing- roughly four more hours before Hoseok’s departure. Their time together was only getting shorter and shorter.

 

The last stop was the Seoul Forest Park. This place was especially special to both Jaehee and Hoseok because they shared their first kiss there. They walked to the bridge over a small pond where it happened to watch the sunset like their first time.

 

Hoseok hugged Jaehee from behind, he- himself, wanting to be engulfed in her scent. His weight was slightly leaning against Jaehee’s body that was upon the wooden bridge railing. Her hands held onto his that were around her waist. A light breeze blew across from the pond pass them.

 

No words were exchanged. They both knew what was going to happen to each of them within the short hours ahead of them. They both knew what was waiting for them. The sun was beginning to set at the far end of the world where it was only beginning to rise. She wished, just like the people on the other side of the world, that her day with Hoseok was just beginning again. She just wished for her time with Hoseok to be expanded, no, not expanded, but frozen. She wished she could only have one more day with him. She only wanted to be with Hoseok, the love of her life. Is that so wrong?

 

“Hoseok,” Jaehee started, turning back and gazing into Hoseok’s dark orbs.

 

“Yeah?” The wind blew pass them.

 

“Hoseok,” Jaehee looked down. Can you please stay with me?”

 

Hoseok stood up straight and turn Jaehee to face him. “Is that your wish?” He placed his hands on her shoulders. “Is that the wish you wanted me to grant from earlier?” Jaehee looked down, nodding her head slowly. Hoseok chuckled, pulling Jaehee in for a tight hug.

 

“I guess it’s too logically impossible, huh?” Jaehee asked, looking up to Hoseok’s face. They both knew it would never work out, but Jaehee still hoped that it did. Hoping has brought her as far as bringing Hoseok back for one day. Maybe, just maybe, if she gave everything into her one last hope, maybe Hoseok can stay with her.

 

Hoseok just smiled though tightening his grip around Jaehee. He didn’t say anything, but like said, they both knew the answer. They knew that he couldn’t stay. They knew that he had to leave within the coming hours. They knew that she was going to be alone again.

 

“It’s okay,” Hoseok said, trying his best to make everything go more smoothly for Jaehee when he leaves. “Just bury me in your heart.” He whispered, slowly pulling back Jaehee’s hair as he made her look up to him. He smiled into her eyes, once again trying to make things easier for Jaehee.

 

“I can’t,” Jaehee admitted. “I can’t.” She repeated, tears starting to form in her eyes as she tore the eye contact between her and Hoseok. “I can’t do that yet, Hoseok. I just can’t.”

 

“Yes, you can.” Hoseok replied, placing a hand under her chin and bringing her eyes back up to his view. “You can, Jaehee. I know you can.” He placed his hands on her shoulders, trying to make her come back to reality that he is dead and that he cannot stay.

 

“I can’t.” She said once again, shaking her head. “I’m not ready to go on without you, Hoseok.” She looked up to his eyes, not afraid to admit her love for him anymore. “I’m not ready to be without you, I’m not prepared to be alone.”

 

“Jaehee,” Hoseok started, trying to stabilize his shaking voice. “Jaehee, just think of a time when you really hated me. Think of that and let me go when it’s time.”

 

“But I’ve never hated you.” Jaehee fired back, not believing that he just said that. “After all this time with you, I’ve never hated you once. You’ve never done anything to make me hate you enough to let you go like this. Ever since the day I met you, I’ve fallen in love with you, and I’ve only been falling in deeper and deeper. I’ve never doubted my love for you, Hoseok.”

 

Jaehee looked into Hoseok’s eyes that were trying to avoid hers now. It wasn’t her intention to make him look like the bad guy right now, she was just expressing her thoughts.

 

I want to know you more. I haven’t gotten enough of you yet, Hoseok. I still don’t want to accept the fact that you’re dead or that you’re going to leave. I still want to be with you. I still want to hold your hands and be by your side. I still want to be with you. I want to be intoxicated in your sweet scent as I fall asleep and wake up to you still by my side.” Jaehee searched for any possible way of Hoseok staying in his eyes. She was searching for a possible answer to her lost question of why he cannot stay if he could for one day.

 

Jaehee was confused. She was desperate. She couldn’t let go of Hoseok again. She couldn’t let it happen again. “I still want to be your girlfriend. I still want to be your lover, Hoseok, don’t you still want to be mine?” she grabbed onto the sleeves of his shirt. “Don’t you still want to be my boyfriend, Hoseok? Don’t you still want to be with me?”

 

Cold tears ran down Hoseok’s eyes as he also held onto Jaehee. “It’s not that, Jaehee.” Hoseok started. “It’s not that I no longer want to love you. It’s not that I don’t want to be your lover anymore, Jaehee, but you have to understand that-“

 

“Hoseok,” Jaehee cut him off. “We can do this! You don’t have to go. You don’t have to do this. You don’t need to leave. Just stay, everything’s going to be okay.” Jaehee said, making up false hopes to cheer herself up, making up lies only for her to believe. She knew that wasn’t the case, yet at that moment, she could only come up with whatever came out of her anxious mind- rational or not.

 

Hoseok slightly shook Jaehee whose shoulders were in his hands. “We can’t do that, Jaehee.” He pulled her in harshly for a hug before pulling out to look at her. “Why don’t you understand? I can’t do that, Jaehee. I can’t stay regardless of what the circumstance is.” It was hard for both of them to let go, Hoseok was struggling to let Jaehee go. “I can’t stay regardless of anything. You have to understand that, Jaehee.” He tried holding onto Jaehee’s hands, but she refused.

 

“Hoseok, I don’t understand why you’re being like this,” Jaehee asked, confused. The only way she saw out of this was if Hoseok was going to stay. There wasn’t another way out of this situation. She only wants him to stay with her, that’s all she’s asking for. “What happened to the Hoseok I’ve always known? The Hoseok I’ve always known always made it through every hard situations. Are you really Hoseok?” Jaehee grabbed onto his sleeves of his light coat again. “You said that we could always make it through everything, Hoseok. You said that we could do everything if we were together.” She pleaded. Hoseok tried to hug her but she refused him once again. “Hoseok, listen to me. It’s going to be okay if you stay, right? Everything’s going to be okay again,” she said, knowing it was false yet because it was what made her thought she was going to live, she said it. Jaehee looked into Hoseok’s saddened eyes and smiled, trying to give him the hope he planted in her. “Everything’s going to be okay again, just like before, right?” Her smile faded.

 

Hoseok shook his head. “No…” He said, really pulling Jaehee into a tight hug regardless of if she wanted to or not. “It’s not going to be like that, Jaehee. We can’t go back to before.” He whispered, closing his eyes to stop his eyes from leaking. “I can’t stay. I can’t do anything to make it alright anymore. When my time comes, I have to go, and you’re going to have to stay. I can only wish for you to be alright now, I can’t do anything else anymore, Jaehee.”

 

The sky turned dark as the sun has finally set, turning the sky into a blue color with some remaining pink from the sun. Jaehee sobbed in Hoseok’s tight arms as he couldn’t help his aching heart but do the same.

 

Jaehee looked up into Hoseok. “Hoseok,” Jaehee questioned. “Then take me with you, Hoseok. Take me with you, I just want to be with you. Please?”

 

Hoseok sadly scoffed at how desperate Jaehee was. He felt bad for her. He pitied her. He knew she was hurting, and he was hurting just as much. He hated that he couldn’t do anything. He hated that he couldn’t do anything to lessen his and Jaehee’s pain. “Jaehee, can’t you be grateful that I at least came back for one day?” Hoseok knew his words were going to hurt Jaehee a bit, but that was what was going to only bring Jaehee back to reality. She has fallen too deep in her fantasy that she forgot how reality felt.

 

Jaehee expression changed. She paused to listen to Hoseok for this one last time. She didn’t quite comprehend what Hoseok just asked her.

 

“Don’t you know that it’s hard for me too? Aren’t you happy that I came back to say a proper goodbye?” Hoseok asked again. Jaehee didn’t respond to Hoseok in any way. “If you aren’t happy, how am I supposed to feel? Because you’re acting like this, I feel like I did the wrong thing of coming back.” Jaehee sobbed as she only fell into Hoseok’s arms again. “I didn’t do the wrong thing, right?” She shook her head slowly from side to side on Hoseok’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sorry that I can’t stay with you forever, Jaehee.” Hoseok kissed Jaehee’s head. He looked into her red eyes that were starting to swell. Finally he has gotten her attention. “But I promise you that I can at least wait for you.” He smiled at her as he pressed his head gently against hers. “I promise you that I will never change my mind. I promise you that I will always be here.” He placed a hand on Jaehee’s heart. “No matter what, I will always remain here.”

 

Jaehee didn’t say anything as she placed Hoseok’s hand in hers. “Then can you please stay for one more day? If you can’t stay forever, can you at least stay for tomorrow? I promise, that’s going to be all I ever wanted. Please, Hoseok?”

 

Hoseok’s fingers slowly wrapped themselves around Jaehee’s neck before pulling her closer to him. He looked into her eyes that were filled with fear. He slightly smiled at her, nodding. “We will always be together.” He whispered. “It’s just a quick goodbye for now.” His wet eyes closed as his quivering lips pressed against Jaehee’s cold ones. Jaehee didn’t do anything until a second later. She closed her eyes after finally getting a grasp of what was happening. She guessed time really couldn’t wait nor can it be turned backwards. It couldn’t be expanded either. She realized that her time with Hoseok can only get shorter, and there was nothing she could do about it. There’s nothing Hoseok could do about it either. There’s nothing anyone can do about anything.

 

It hurt Jaehee a lot, but there was nothing left to do but let go. There was nothing left for her to do but let Hoseok go and let the memories go. There was nothing she could do but forget everything relating to Hoseok. She closed her eyes. Accepting reality as she surrendered and sealed her lips against Hoseok’s before encircling her arms around his neck.

 

It was really true love’s kiss. For moment, it felt like the earth stopped spinning. It felt like the time stopped. Everything in the world stopped at the moment for the kiss Hoseok and Jaehee shared. A moment of silence was raised for the parting couple. Tears still fell down Jaehee and Hoseok’s closed eyes.

 

The darkened sky roared as heavy droplets of rain started falling again. The two lovers broke the kiss and looked up into the sky. Hoseok closed his eyes and sighed. “It’s raining again.” Jaehee noted. They didn’t do anything but stared up into the sky. “It’s raining again, Hoseok.” Jaehee repeated as she tore her eyes off the falling rain and looked at Hoseok with a what-are-we-going-to-do expression.

 

“Let’s go.” Hoseok said, grabbing her hand and walking off the bridge to the city. Jaehee felt the rush of tears coming once again as Hoseok held onto her hands tightly and pulled at her. “Let’s go home, Jaehee.” Hoseok said, placing a hand on her cheek before giving her another quick kiss as the speed of the rainfall increased.

 

Jaehee didn’t say or do anything as Hoseok held her hand and led their way back to the subway station. Jaehee was already feeling the empty pain again. She was already feeling lonely even though Hoseok was still by her side. Eventually, Jaehee hoped, her tears will dry. Eventually, she would be able to let go.

 

Hoseok and Jaehee were both soaked by the time they got to the subway station. Because of the storm, the subway was more crowded than usual. Everyone wanted to get home quickly for safety. The line to buy one ticket was so long that it reached the entrance of the station even though there were multiple machines. There was nothing they could do about it but wait in line to get a ticket to home.

 

Hoseok smiled at Jaehee as he pulled her in for a hug while in line. “It’s going to be okay, alright?” He asked, kissing her head. Jaehee only looked down. She wasn’t sure what to respond. She didn’t know what she was going to become once he leaves her… again. She didn’t know what she was going to do once he’s gone. “We’re gonna get home safely.” He said, encircling his arms around her shaking petite figure.

 

Oh, that’s what he meant.

 

Jaehee didn’t respond. Jaehee just held Hoseok in her arms tightly.

 

“Are you mad at me?” Hoseok asked after a long while of standing in the never-moving line.

 

Jaehee looked up at Hoseok. “I’m not mad at you, Hoseok,” she said, giving him a fake silly smile.

 

“Why are you so quiet?” He questioned, pouting cutely. “Something’s wrong, tell me.”

 

Jaehee shook her head. “Nothing’s wrong,” she lied. “I’m just appreciating my last hours with you, Hoseok.” She laid her head onto his wet shoulder.

 

Hoseok knew it wasn’t true. He leaving her was tearing her up even though she didn’t say it. It was vivid by the way her eyes looked him. It was clear by the way she said that. It was known that she wouldn’t let go. Jaehee turned around as Hoseok wrapped his wet arms around her also wet figure.

 

“I’m going to go check over there if there’s less people over there, okay?” Hoseok told her. “Don’t go anywhere, if there’s more space over there then I’ll come get you.” Jaehee nodded as Hoseok squeezed himself past crowded lines.

 

Jaehee watched as Hoseok disappeared and mingled in with the mob of people. She took her phone out and looked to look at the time. 10:05, the numbers on the screen of her phone read. Jaehee sighed. Even though Hoseok couldn’t stay, she at least wanted Hoseok and her to be alone when she sees him off. She was afraid that he was just going to disappear without her saying goodbye. She was scared that he was going to vanish without her knowing.

 

What she thought was irrational was interrupted when she heard the crowd screaming and pushing backing up against her. Jaehee tiptoed to see what was going on but she couldn’t see anything. That’s when it struck her. Jaehee pushed past the crowd, struggling to get past them to see what the matter was. Jaehee’s hand cupped when she saw that it was Hoseok.

 

He was lying on the cement floor.

 

“Hoseok!” She screamed, getting down onto her knees and shaking his shoulders. “Hoseok, get up!” She screamed once again, not caring whether the crowd was judging her or not. “Hoseok! Wake up, we have to go.”

 

She wasn’t sure if he was still breathing or not, but it all only meant one thing. She was shaking as she dialed for the ambulance to come. “Hoseok! Hoseok!” She kept repeating. “You can’t do this to me! You can’t, get up! Get up, Hoseok!” Tears were coming to her eyes again.

 

Within what felt like hours of trying to get Hoseok conscious, the sirens of the ambulance finally was heard outside of the station. The transporters came out one by one and asked for the people to clear the way. They placed Hoseok on a stretcher and insisted that Jaehee go with them once they found out she was the one who called. They carried him back out into the van.

 

“What happened?” They asked the shaking Jaehee. Everything was happening so fast for Jaehee to comprehend. She was still in a state of shock, however, she didn’t hesitate to tell them what happened even though she really couldn’t. They told her to calm down, to take deep breaths before telling them yet she couldn’t. She was shaking in fear, crying in fear.

 

Jaehee sat still and watched as the paramedics of the team checked for anything wrong with Hoseok before whispering it to the registered nurse for her to jot it down. She was scared when she overheard them discussing to the nurses at the hospital about preparing an emergency check-up since his heart was beating abnormally slow. “It’s something I’ve never witnessed,” she heard the paramedic whispered to the phone.

 

This was definitely not how they were going to part again.

 

Time can wait.                                                                       

 

It has to wait. It can’t do this to her. She was already willing to let go only if she was given the full 24 hours. But she wasn’t, so time has to wait. It just has to. It cannot cheat her like this.

 

The ambulance finally arrived at the nearest hospital. The transporters quickly but safely took Hoseok out of the van as they escorted Jaehee into the hospital. They rushed Hoseok to the check-up room to see what was wrong with him. Jaehee’s heart dropped to the ground the second time in her life once they informed her that Hoseok was being sent to the emergency operation room.

 

She stood outside the operation room waiting for any news of Hoseok. She waited and waited, minutes after minutes. Even though there were seats in the waiting room, she refused to sit. Jaehee kept telling herself to calm down. She kept telling herself that no matter what happens, she was going to get that very special last hours with Hoseok because this cannot happen to her. She will not say goodbye like this again. She wouldn’t be able to live with herself if this was her only chance to say a proper goodbye to him and she spoiled it.

 

This can’t be happening. Even if their time together was cut short due to the accident, Jaehee still at least wanted to see Hoseok. She still wanted to see him one last time whether he was conscious or not. Maybe, just maybe, because of this, he was going to get to stay longer. Maybe, just maybe, the doctors were going to take him out of the operation room and tell her that the surgery went successful. Maybe they were going to tell her that he made it, and because of that, Hoseok can stay.

 

Maybe the accident wasn’t a bad thing after all. Maybe it was what was going to save Hoseok from leaving her. He can’t just disappear while they do surgery on him, right? He’s going to wake up after the surgery and Jaehee made sure she was going to be there. She made sure that she was going to be by his side forever and always.

 

Jaehee sat as she thought these things through. She breathed in and out to calm herself down. “Everything is going to be alright, right?” She can hear Hoseok’s voice tell her as she closed her eyes, replaying the way he always made her smile. Flashing pictures of their day together played like a movie in Jaehee’s head. She felt like she was on a time machine when she realized that the movie that was playing in her head was bringing her back to the start of her days with Hoseok. Jaehee smiled, eyes still closed. She remembered Hoseok being a shy boy in their high school days. She remembered their high school years. They were always together, and they never parted. She never hated him, he never hated her. It was touching love story, she realized, it was her and Hoseok’s story. The film kept playing and playing until it reached the point in life where everything went wrong. Jaehee remembered the shock that was given to her when Hoseok was announced dead. It was a terrible thought that came true.

 

Jaehee opened her eyes, not wanting to continue watching her hurting love story with Hoseok when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She quickly stood up, thinking that it was Hoseok.

 

It wasn’t.

 

“Oh,” Jaehee bowed realizing that it was a doctor of the hospital. “How did the operation go? Is Hoseok okay?” Jaehee also noticed that it was already the next day. The sun was already rising outside the large hospital windows.

 

The doctor gave Jaehee a puzzled look. “Hoseok? We didn’t receive a patient by the name of Hoseok any time between yesterday till right now. You’ve been sleeping here since late yesterday, are you okay, Miss?”

 

“What?” Jaehee asked, confused. “W-What do you mean?” She stuttered. “Yesterday, I came here with Hoseok. Jung Hoseok, the patient that fainted at the subway station? He had to get surgery due to an abnormally slow heart beating. Could he possible still be in there?” Jaehee asked, pointing to the operation room.

 

The doctor shook his head. “We also had a patient that fainted at the subway station, but it was a girl in her early 20s. Could that be the one you’re talking about?”

 

“No, no.” Jaehee said, getting annoyed as her voice started to rise. “It was a man also in his early 20s. He arrived here at about 10:30PM last night. Should we go check-?”

 

“I’m sorry,” the doctor said. “I think you have mistaken. We didn’t receive a male patient at that time of the night yesterday.” Jaehee was confused. What does he mean? Jaehee was sure she and the ambulance team took Hoseok in. “I think you better go home,” the doctor insisted. “Or did you want to get a checkup? I can send you to the psychiatric department.”

 

Jaehee shook her head in disbelief. “No,” she said to herself. “Can you please check again? Maybe they’re still in there,” she pointed to the operation room, walking over. “Maybe they’re still performing the procedure.”

 

“Miss,” the doctor said, grabbing onto Jaehee’s wrist. “You cannot go in there. I was the surgeon for yesterday’s female patient, and I was sure there was no one else here. I’ll call a taxi for you, come on.”

 

“But, I was sure-”

 

“Are you going to go or do you want me to call security?”

 

Jaehee sighed, frustrated. “Okay, okay, okay!” She said. “I’ll go.” Jaehee walked out of the waiting room hall uncertain. How can the hospital claim to have not gotten Hoseok when it was clear that both Jaehee and Hoseok arrived that night? Jaehee was angry. She was angered to the point where no tears came out. She just walked as that doctor made sure she left the hospital and into the taxi cab he promised he’d call.

 

After Jaehee gave her address to the driver, she sat and thought about all the possible and impossible ways the hospital would give her such a response. The only one she could come up with was that something happened to Hoseok during the surgery and he died so the doctor lied to her. Okay, let’s pretend that was the case, Jaehee told her. Then what happened to Hoseok to cause the surgery to go wrong?

 

The only answer to that that Jaehee could come up with was that it was the end of the day for her and Hoseok. Either way, nothing could say him. Nothing or no one. Jaehee realized, maybe because it was a new day, Hoseok was gone. Just like Hoseok said, by the end of the day yesterday, he would be gone with the rain.

 

Jaehee sat in the back of the taxi cab as she looked out the window, seeing the streets that she and Hoseok just walked through that very day before. Tears fell her eyes as she thought about how wise she chose to spend that day with Hoseok.

 

It was probably all just a dream. It was probably all a dream, or maybe a crazy thought. Maybe she’s going crazy. Maybe he really wasn’t there, yet she hoped that it was still true. She knew that it was too logically impossible for Hoseok to come back, yet she still hoped for it. She still wanted to see him. She wanted to feel him. She still wanted to hold him, to be with him.

 

 

She had really lost him to time. She had lost Hoseok to time. She admit defeat. She couldn’t go against life anymore. It was too cruel for her. It just really didn’t want Hoseok and her to be together. She couldn’t do this to herself anymore. She can’t suffer alone anymore.

 

Jaehee walked into her apartment unit like a zombie. She sat in the cold, quiet living room couch that she got used to alone. She closed her eyes as she tears raced out of her eyes. Jaehee covered her eyes as she sobbed. She cried like a mad child who didn’t get what he wanted. She felt the hole in her heart ache. Jaehee shamelessly admitted that she wanted to kill herself at that very moment. There was the gaping hole in her heart and all she needed to do in order for the pain to end was to stop it.

 

He had already warned her that he could only stay for one day, and when it rained he had to leave but why didn’t she listen? Why didn’t she just accept it? Why did she ask for him to stay forever? To stay for one more day, when she should’ve been happy about his coming of one day. It was all her fault, she shouldn’t have been selfish and enjoyed that special day with Hoseok. She shouldn’t have argued for Hoseok to stay and instead appreciated being in his arms. She should’ve gave something to Hoseok in order for him to remember her, something for him to keep so they could find each other when she came back to look for him.

 

Jaehee cried, hitting the arm of the couch hopefully to feel a little better. It hurt her so bad. It hurt her more than it did last time. She was given one more chance to say “goodbye,” she was given another turn to say “I love you” properly before their actual goodbye, yet she ruined it. Jaehee felt like she really was going to die.

 

It was childish to have suicidal thoughts, I mean, what would her mother do without her loving daughter? What would her father think if the daughter he had so much hopes for killed herself? It didn’t matter to Jaehee anymore. As long as she was able to escape this torturous life without Hoseok. All she wanted to do right now was see Hoseok. She wanted to apologize to him. She wanted to tell him she loved him. She wants to let him know how much it hurts. She was to the point where no one can stop her from being with Hoseok. She couldn’t see a light brighter than following Hoseok.

 

 

 

 

 

For the next days, Jaehee didn’t do anything but lock herself in her apartment room. It was a repeat of the first few weeks without Hoseok when the actual event happened. She turned off her phone, not caring if her mother called her or not, not caring if the world around her crashed and fell because her world already did. She didn’t eat a thing. She didn’t say a word. The only thing coming out of Jaehee was tears. She hated herself so much. She was disgusted by the reflection when she looked into the mirror.

 

The only way she thought would help her lessen her longing for Hoseok is if she went to visit his grave every day for hours again, and that was what she did that day. Jaehee finally stepped out of her room to realize what a mess she made while she was depressed about… Basically life. Even so, it didn’t bother her. She’d clean it when she felt better, if she did.

 

Jaehee brushed the hair on her head that was already falling out chunk by chunk. She looked at her face that became unhealthily slim due to her not eating food. The clothes in her closet that was small for her regularly was now too big her even. This time around, it was more intense than the actual event. Jaehee found something casual to wear, ignoring the fact that she was going out natural. After all, her heart was only set her Hoseok and she was only visiting the graveyard.

 

Jaehee checked her phone as she walked down the stairs to the parking lot where her car was parked. There were leaves all over the top of the car, telling her that no one touched her car if she didn’t drove it. She got in, settling down before using the wipers to swipe the leaves off her windshield before she started her journey to see Hoseok. It was strange, her phone didn’t ring for any kind of notifications. Usually, when she turned off her phone for a few days, she would receive a million calls from her family, but this time, it was different.

 

She arrived at the graveyard where there were many other cars parked there too. Jaehee concluded that maybe there was just a new comer to the graveyard. She put her glasses on, not wanting anyone to give her one attention.

 

It was funny though, how the group of people wearing black and white also had their person buried near Hoseok’s graveyard. As Jaehee easily made her way to Hoseok’s tomb, that was when she realized that they were burying their person next to Hoseok. Jaehee’s eyes widened when she realized who it was.

 

“Mom!” She said, crossing over the many people mourning to her mother. She took off her sunglasses to make sure it was her mother (even with them on, she was sure she would know). “Mom, what are you doing here?” Her mother gave her no response, she did nothing but cry. “Mom!” She called again. “Dad,” Jaehee started, noticing that her father was also there. “Dad, why are you and Mom here? What’s going on?” There was no response from her father either. It was as if they couldn’t hear her. “Dad! Mom!” She screamed at them, shaking both their shoulders. Jaehee, for some unknown reason why scared. She didn’t know why her parents were there. She didn’t understand why they couldn’t hear her.

 

Jaehee’s eyes followed their gaze to the freshly planted tomb on the ground.

 

Park Jaehee

August 25, 1994 – May 28, 2014

Happiness is where love is ~ You will be missed greatly

 

Jaehee’s took a step backwards, a hand coming to cover . Park Jaehee? May 28, 2014? That was the day Hoseok came back, could it be…?

 

"Do you trust me? Do you trust my judgments?”

 

 

“Aren’t you curious to why I came back?”

 

 

“Jaehee, do you love me?”

 

“Do you want to be with me forever, Jaehee?”

“Forever and always.”

 

“We will always be together.”

 

“It’s just a quick goodbye for now.”

 

“We also had a patient that fainted at the subway station, but it was a girl in her early 20s. Could that be the one you’re talking about?”

 

Jaehee couldn’t get a grasp of what was happening. She shook her head, completely staring at the tomb stone with her name on it. How did this happen? Why did it happen?

 

A hand was placed on Jaehee’s shoulder as it slid down and held onto her shaking hands. The other hand wrapped itself around her waist, giving her a tight back hug. “I would do anything, girl.” Jaehee turned her head.

 

Hoseok.

 

 

 


 

 

Author's Note:

 

Sorry if it was really long .

 

I hope that everyone enjoys reading my oneshot just as much as I enjoyed writing it .

 

Thank you to the judges for coming together and giving us an opportunity to write like this and also extending the due date .

 

Thank you for reading !