Love

Saranghaeyo, Amma

Tiffany stands near the window, the fresh air filling her lungs. She is an average girl with an average life; at the past, she just studies, eats and sleeps, and at the present, she just works, eats and sleeps. She continues with this routine for her whole life, emptiness evident in her heart. Even after twelve years, she has not gotten over her mother, Taeyeon's death. Her death had just come way too unexpected for the young 12 years old.

Tiffany remembered the times when she cried, Taeyeon would embrace her and comfort her, telling her that everything would be okay. Taeyeon was a single mother, but she still put in tremendous amounts of effort to raise her child. Taeyeon would take up various part-time jobs, sometimes tiring herself out in order to feed both of themselves. The jobs had taken a toll on Taeyeon's body, and even though she was only thirty years old then, Taeyeon passed away due to an illness. Young Tiffany was hurt deeply by her mother's death, but she had no choice other than to move on.

Tiffany loves her mother's smile. Despite all the problems she faced, Taeyeon still had youthful spirit, always smiling and laughing. To her, Taeyeon was an inspiration, a role model and everything in the world.

An incident happened when Tiffany was still eight years old. She was always teased, mocked and ridiculed at as she had no father. Tiffany really resented her father because of that; in her opinion, he left her and her mother behind, he was a horrible excuse for a father. She told Taeyeon about her frustrations and hatred, and Taeyeon just smiled. She would tell Tiffany about her father; how suave he was, how brilliant he was and all the wonderful adjectives that could describe him. As she talked about him, Taeyeon always seemed like an excited teenager who was totally in love with a man... even though he abandoned her.

Tiffany thought that Taeyeon was naive, and even until now, she still did. However, she really envied Taeyeon. Taeyeon never bore grudges with anyone; she was always kind-hearted and sweet to everyone. The fact that she could still talk about Tiffany's father happily was prove, prove that not only was she magnanimous, she really truly loved him. Tiffany wondered if she could still love someone who had betrayed her and left her all alone in a dark world. She wondered if she would still have the courage to live even if she was in Taeyeon's situation.

Tiffany sighed, thinking about the time when she received the news of Taeyeon's death. The memory faded slightly, but she clearly remembered her tears, the corpse of her mother and the sickening smell of the hospital. That is why she hates hospitals; hospitals always remind her of her mother without fail.

Ever since her mother died, Tiffany became an orphan and she was ridiculed even more. It became even worse when she was in high school; being pushed around, looked down at and being beaten up. She shuddered even thinking of those times, and she wondered how she could have survive those periods. She believed that it was due to her mother. As much as she wanted to join her, she knew that her mother would never tolerate her doing foolish things. Hence, she has never touched a knife.

Now that Tiffany was grown up and independant, she was also much stronger. She worked extra hard and gained recognition from her peers, even though some still mocked her now and then. But she never wanted to cry again. Like her mother, she was going to grit her teeth and work her way through the obstacles she faced. There are many different ways to love, and many definitions to love. True love means sacrificing for your loved ones, and Taeyeon did that, because she loved Tiffany.

Whenever Tiffany felt like giving up, she always thought of her mother, Kim Taeyeon. Her beautiful mother, Kim Taeyeon. Her loving mother, Kim Taeyeon. No matter how much she misses her, Tiffany wants to stay living in this world and do her mother proud. Because... she loves her mother, and she knows that Taeyeon would only be happy if she keeps on living in the world.

"Saranghaeyo, amma."