Saturday

Fall in love with me in seven days

Saturday                                   

Sungmin spent his morning cleaning up the house just to distract himself from his ‘date’ during the evening, even if he was not going to the fair alone with Youngwoon. At the appointed time Sungmin dressed himself and left to Youngwoon’s house from where they would go to the fair.

While he was almost arriving he received a text, he picked up his phone with a smile, but when he saw the sender was Heechul his smile fell, he thought about ignoring the text, but reconsidered, Heechul hardly ever contacted him out of the blue like that so he ended up reading the message. | I am going to call in five minutes, don’t meet up with Youngwoon yet. He is hiding something from you and you need to know.| Sungmin frowned. The previous day Heechul had been his usual playful self, why the older boy was once again being so annoying, coming up with stupid excuses like that?

The five minutes didn’t happen though, because when Sungmin took another step towards Youngwoon’s house his phone rang, when he saw Heechul’s name on the screen he decided to pick it up and end that story.

“Hyung, please. Yesterday didn’t you say you love me? Why you don’t want me with Youngwoon hyung? Why am I not good enough?” Sungmin deadpanned, already fed up.

“I am doing this exactly because I love you, this is for your own good, Sungmin. You are not the one for Youngwoon and I will show you that I am right. Youngwoon should really be with Kyuhyun. They have something that we, as their friends, have to strengthen.” Heechul replied from the other side of the line, Sungmin was about to retort when the older male added. “See for yourself. I will call him and tell him Kyuhyun got lost, and you will see who means most to him.” and after saying that he hung up.

Sungmin stared at his phone with a frown. “Crazy.” He mumbled at the device and walked the last steps to Youngwoon’s house, he rang the doorbell with a smile. Youngwoon opened up the door and smiled. “Hey, pumpkin, Jongwoon called me a while ago to say that he and Kyuhyun are already waiting for us there, no news from Heechul hyung yet, though.” Sungmin made a face at the mention of the oldest of them, but before he could say anything Youngwoon’s phone went off. “Talking about the devil.” He mocked before he answered the call. “Hyung, are you coming or not?” he asked but then his smile disappeared and a frown took place. Sungmin frowned along.

“What? No, don’t do that!” Youngwoon said, he looked at Sungmin with a pained and worried smile before turning to the street. “Hyung, listen, Kyuhyun will keep on walking until he finds somewhere he knows and then he will wait till someone finds him.” Sungmin still managed to hear as Youngwoon rushed out and ran to the fair not even registering that Sungmin stood there waiting for him to look back and ask him to hurry. Youngwoon turned left in the next intersection without looking back.

You will see who means most to him. Sungmin felt like crying.

“No, Jongwoon was playing with Kyuhyun’s phone, we are disconnected from him.” Heechul said behind Sungmin startling him. “Okay. I’ll keep on looking.” And, saying that, Heechul hung up. “You are a monster.” Sungmin deadpanned still trying to keep himself from crying, without looking back at his older friend. How could Heechul use Kyuhyun’s lack of sense of direction like that? Why was he doing that?

“I am really doing this for your own good, Sungmin. I can’t stand the fact that he still doesn’t want you to know.” He said with a sad tone. “Now come with me.” Heechul added holding Sungmin’s hand and forcing the younger to follow. Youngwoon had not had the mind to even lock the door.

Heechul took Sungmin all the way up to Youngwoon’s bedroom, taking to his advantage that nobody was home. “Get in and see for yourself why I get so annoyed at you when you start to talk about junior high. And don’t get me wrong, I get annoyed because it’s not even your fault! Get in and see for yourself why Youngwoon never invited you home, why he always told you no when you tried to invite yourself.”

Sungmin was confused, but when he was left behind like that, when he felt his emotions so messed up like that he felt tired from everything. Dejectedly he opened up the door and felt startled with what he saw, practically all the walls were covered with pictures, even a part of the ceiling had pictures. And most of them were of Sungmin. There were a few pictures of Heechul and Jongwoon, but even fewer of Kyuhyun.

“What the hell?” Sungmin felt a sudden fear, when Heechul spoke again he felt goose bumps all over. “I don’t know why Youngwoon is so adamant in not letting you know this, Sungmin. When Youngwoon was in his first year of high school, he suffered a car accident. His brain was damaged and he lost every memory he had of his friends, all but Kyuhyun’s. Yet that was not all, after that, up till now, he is still suffering collateral damage from that accident, every Saturday to Sunday, Youngwoon’s memories of his friends are reset and the only person he still remembers is Kyuhyun. He is desperately trying to live a normal life, that’s why from that accident onwards he had been writing diaries, to tell himself the things he had forgotten.” Heechul said slowly, softly, he put his hands on Sungmin’s shoulder and continued. “Every time you show him how sad you are for him not remembering you from junior high, can you imagine how he actually feels? He can’t remember you from last week, Sungmin.”

Sungmin looked around the room again, that was when he noticed that there were notes on the pictures, dates everywhere. Up the table there were a set of notebooks organized by dates. When he looked behind at Heechul he felt another tug of pain because Heechul had closed the door. There Youngwoon had placed a board with the title ‘these are my friends’ the first photo was of Sungmin, beside it was his basic information, birth date, likes, dislikes, and some other small notes such as his school schedule, compared to the information written for Heechul and Jongwoon it seemed Youngwoon was obsessive with Sungmin.

“Before you showed up, Sungmin, this room was not like this. But when you told him you had been friends, when he saw the sincerity of your feelings, he vowed to himself not to hurt you again, that’s why he focuses so much in recording information on you.” Heechul spoke softly, he took a stronger hold of Sungmin's shoulder and made the younger face and focus on him. “This is why I am telling you that you are not healthy for him, you value your memories too much, you are a perfectionist, Sungmin, you pay too much attention to details and details are something hard for Youngwoon to keep up in his current situation. If you truly love him, you will understand that even if he accepted to date you, it’s not good all the pressure you’re putting on him.”

The room fell in silence and Sungmin felt its weight. Heechul’s words kept revolving in his head and the first thing he remembered was that Tuesday at the pool, when Sungmin showed up the record book he had kept for years, how much that must have hurt Youngwoon, how much pain had he been feeling when he said he was sorry for something he had no control over? Then Sungmin remembered the hesitation before their first kiss, remembered Youngwoon saying he was not deserving of Sungmin’s love. He would remember all that, but by the end of the day Youngwoon would forget everything, the time spent at the rooftop and at the music room, everything they had talked about, every moment that had brought so much happiness to Sungmin would disappear from Youngwoon’s memories.

When the first tears left his eyes Sungmin walked to the board and tried to erase all the information Youngwoon had written there, but he had used a permanent ink.

Sungmin groaned in frustration, so he walked over to the desk and picked up the notebook that had been closer, it was the one Youngwoon was still writing on, Sungmin searched for the page with the records for that Monday, he held it with all the intention to tear it apart, but then he read the first paragraph.

|Sungmin asked me out. Jongwoon and Heechul were not surprised when I told them, so it must mean they had noticed, if they had noticed how could I not? Why there was no ounce of speculation in my previous notes, I felt so lost when he asked me out. He is confident he can make me fall in love with him though. I wonder if I should have rejected him… he is already hurt I had forgotten about two years of friendship in junior high… I wonder if I’ll just keep on hurting him from now on. He tried to win me over by showing he is not possessive and that he is open to share me with our friends, that was quite cute. I was worried though, because at lunch Heechul hyung told him about Kyuhyun’s crush on me. Hyung almost messed up everything with that.|

The more he read the more he understood Heechul’s point, in a moment of despair Sungmin ended up tearing the page out, he had reached to the second marked as Tuesday but before he did so his phone started to ring, Sungmin didn’t have to look to know it was Youngwoon, he had set a different ringtone for him. Sungmin breathed in twice before he picked up the call.

“Pumpkin, where are you?” Youngwoon asked with a highly worried tone. “I thought you had followed after me but when I looked behind you were not there.”

“I suddenly felt ill, hyung. Did you find Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asked back, trying to even his tone.

“What’s wrong with your voice?” Youngwoon disregarded the question. “Nothing, I’m just really not feeling well.” Sungmin replied closing his eyes and valiantly willing his tears away.

“Sungmin, did you go home?” Youngwoon asked with a soft tone, some edge of sadness into it. “Yeah… sorry for not calling, I figured that Kyuhyun was more important at the moment.” Sungmin replied without missing a beat. There was a moment of silence before Youngwoon spoke again.

“Then I am going back home, happens Heechul hyung had prank me. I don’t want to go to the fair without you.” The older boy replied and that had scared Sungmin, so he left the notebook up the table and rushed to the door.

“No, hyung, you should go have fun with Kyuhyun…” Sungmin was saying as he opened the door but he came face to face with Youngwoon, who was laying against the wall in the corridor. Sungmin felt lost for words.

Youngwoon ended the call with an overly hurt expression. “Sungmin…” he called reaching a hand but the younger evaded the touch. “I’m sorry!” Sungmin shouted no longer able to hold back his tears. “I am sorry I lied, I am sorry I invaded your house like this… I am sorry, hyung… but why you didn’t tell me? Why was I the only one left in the dark?! You could have told me ‘I forgot you because of an accident and hey every week I will keep on forgetting who you are’, if you had told me… if only you had told me…” Sungmin relayed, trying to gather the pieces of his broken thoughts. “I am such an idiot… but no more… Hyung… I can’t take this, I can’t keep on hurting you like this, so please… you no longer have a friend called Sungmin. You never had… we never dated…” he blurted then “I really just want you to remember me, hyung… please, from now on only talk to me if you remember who I am when you wake up on Sundays.” He added and not being able to withstand the situation any longer he ran away.

The older boy still tried to reach out for him, he called with a desperate tone, not at all believing he was actually living that. Why Heechul had that awesome ability to mess everything up? Youngwoon tried to hold Sungmin back, tried to tell him what he had realized during that week, but the younger used his black belt against Youngwoon and managed to run away, Heechul also helped holding Youngwoon back.

After Sungmin slammed the front door behind himself, Youngwoon cried out. “Let me go, Heechul! Damn it!”

“Youngwoon-ah! Listen to me! Sungmin understands now, so just get it too. How can you be together with someone you don’t remember? Just accept Kyuhyun’s feelings and live the normal life you want.” Heechul tried to reason but instead of getting his friend to see his point, he actually got a hard punch on the face. “Are you blind, hyung?! Kyuhyun moved on he is actually dating Jongwoon for months now! Trying to hide it from me, from all people, that klutz. Get this straight, hyung. I freaking love Lee Sungmin.” Youngwoon thundered and Heechul could only stare agape.

Youngwoon sat on the floor in a desperate heap. “What have you done, hyung? Everything was so well planned… tomorrow I was going to tell Sungmin ‘congratulation. You made me fall in love’ I was going to prepare the ground slowly, I was going to let him know slowly, I wanted to show him how he had been making me fall in love with him every damn week.”

“What?” Heechul asked dumbly.

Youngwoon smiled bitterly. “It was something he told me last Wednesday… the more you want to know about someone, the deeper you fall. When I got back home from the date, I really looked at my bedroom, hyung, I picked up old diaries and read what I had written about Sungmin when he first showed up again… the difference in detail, the difference in the tone… the reason why I had been trying so hard to keep record of every detail about him… was no longer because I was guilty but because I wanted to know everything about him… because I didn’t want to forget… because I love him.”

Heechul kept looking incredulous at Youngwoon. The younger picked up his phone and tried to call Sungmin again, but the call was immediately redirected to voicemail. |Sungmin, please. I love you, I truly love you. Don’t listen to Heechul. Please. Call me back, let’s talk this through.| he left the message and hopped Sungmin would listen to it soon, would come back to him soon.

With an impromptu resolve, Youngwoon picked himself up and left the house, he got his motorcycle and went after Sungmin. He had less than six hours to find Sungmin and fix everything.

First Youngwoon went to Sungmin’s house, but everything was dark, he knocked on the door and called hopping Sungmin was trying to hide, he once again proclaimed he loved Sungmin, but nothing. Sungmin was truly not home. In his panic he couldn’t recall from his notes anything regarding to places Sungmin used to run to when he was sad. He could only recall Sungmin saying the rooftop was his refuge but the school was locked, even if Sungmin had a master key the school should be off ground.

Nevertheless Youngwoon gave it a shot, but was faced with a heavy traffic jam because of a car accident. He even went to check the accident to make sure it was not Sungmin laying there hurt, so desperate he was, but at seeing nothing of the sort had happened Youngwoon got to the school, yet the gates were locked, he couldn’t shout from there, Sungmin wouldn’t hear anyway.

At that Youngwoon tried calling Kyuhyun, he didn’t explain what happened or why they had ditched the secret double date, he only questioned about the places Sungmin tended to go to when he was sad, Kyuhyun gave him a list of five places, all of them scattered around the city. “Go to the sauna, hyung, if he is not home he probably wants to spend the night there. His parents are aboard right now, so he is on his own.” Kyuhyun said also worried.

Youngwoon looked at his clock, it was one hour and a half to midnight and he was already feeling a dull headache. Nevertheless Youngwoon went after Sungmin at the sauna, praying hard that his brain wouldn’t let him down at such an important moment, but the minute he opened the sauna’s door his vision and he fell forward unconscious. When he woke up again people at the sauna had been looking after him. Youngwoon frowned because he couldn’t remember what he was doing there. Or why he had gone there.

Embarrassed Youngwoon excused himself saying that he was feeling okay, with a confused mind he headed back home and found lights , his parents must have been worried since the illuminated house was a sign he had not told his folks he was going to come home late.

When he opened the door, though, he felt even more confused at seeing not only his parents but also Kyuhyun there, with two other guys that he didn’t know, they all had worried faces. “Who are you?” Youngwoon asked tentatively, he looked at his parents and then at Kyuhyun and asked. “Kyu, are they people I should know?”

The silence was heavy. “We’ll leave it in your hands.” One of the guys said with a sad tone as he patted Kyuhyun. He then walked to Youngwoon and patted his shoulder too. “No hard feelings, buddy, whatever you choose, I’ll be on his side.” And after saying that he bowed to the others and left, after him the red haired dude walked to him too, but instead of patting him as well, the guy actually held him tightly. “I am sorry, Youngwoon, for being an overprotective idiot, we are going to fix this, I promise you, we are.” He said before also leaving after a bow to Youngwoon’s parents and another claim that he was utterly sorry.

Youngwoon was dumbfounded. “Can someone explain me what just happened here?” he asked taking off his shoes. “Why did I go to a sauna this late at night.”

“We also don’t really know what’s happening, but Kyuhyun does. He will sleep here and will help you through this.” Youngwoon’s father answered with the only words he could find.

“C’mon, hyung, let’s get some rest first.” Kyuhyun beckoned pulling Youngwoon upstairs into his room. The moment Kyuhyun the lights Youngwoon frowned, there was something off about his bedroom, he couldn’t really pinpoint what but there was something really different.

He couldn’t tell then, that Kyuhyun really felt like crying when he looked into the room as well. While Youngwoon was away, Heechul had called him and Jongwoon there and explained what happened, and they had prepared the ground to the possibility Youngwoon would not be able to clear the misunderstanding with Sungmin and thus they put away all the photos, Kyuhyun confiscated all the diaries. That Sunday would be a long day ahead.


Comments! VIOLENT REACTIONS! are well appreciated! please give me them! And if you think 'what the hell it's saturday already!' well don't freak out, I never said this fic would only have 7 chapters *goes hide under a table while grinning evily* also I believe that this fic will end up with about 15 chapters but this length is still uncomfirmed *grabs Heechul and goes hide before the bricks start flying*