Chapter 28

The Curse of the Mansion

Hyesung woke up from his deep slumber and he could feel the tingling pain on the back of his head. Once he opened his eyes, he blinked several times and he was surprised at his surroundings.

"What....." Hyesung could not believe that he was lying on a bed in a room. If Hyesung memories served him well before he was unconscious, he should be inside the woods and next to the old well; and not lying on the bed.

"You fainted in the woods. One of the servants, Jung, was going to the toilet in the middle of the night when he saw you roaming about in the woods. Jung was worried and he went after for you and found you lying next to a well." Eric was sitting on the chair next to the bed.

It seemed dejavu to Hyesung except that he was now the one lying in the bed but Hyesung knew that he did not have problem of sleep walking. Hyesung was sure that he was assaulted near the well and lost consciousness; and he did not faint.

"You are saying your servan,t Jung found me?" Hyesung felt his head was swarming with doubts.

For instance was it a coincident that Jung found him? And who was the assailant that hit him? What was his motive for doing so? Because he was about to unveil sonething? Or he had entered into a forbidden place? Hyesung's face turned pale.

Eric looked worriedly at him," Yes. Are you okay?"

Hyesung snapped back to his senses and faked a smile," Me? I am okay."

Hyesung was hesitating if he should tell Eric of what he saw last night because Eric would know this mansion better than him. About the stone statutes in the woods with the fourth statute pointing towards a well. The facial expressions on those statutes made Hyesung felt suspicious of the mansion.

"It is better that you do a thorough health checkup at the hospital." Concern could be sensed in Eric's voice.

"There is no need for that. I should be in a better position to know about my own health. Furthermore.... I am working in a hospital and I can ask my colleague to do a health check for me if it needs to, right?" Hyesung tried to avert the topic. His mind was still on the four statutes and the well in the woods. " Oh you mentioned that Jung found me lying by the well and so he must the one who helped me back into the mansion?"

Hyesung decided to keep mum about what he saw in the woods: the statutes, well, the thick undergrowth and the bones plus him being assaulted.

"Yes. Jung used a lot of strength to get you into the mansion." Eric chuckled. The sudden grin in his eyes disappeared and alarm was seen," Oh no. I am not saying that you are fat and heavy. Although Jung seemed strong but he is also quite skinny." Though the last sentence from Eric seemed to be a lame joke to lighten up the mood but it was not successful.

Hyesung managed a weak smile," I will have to thank Jung personally "

Just as Hyesung spoke, Jung came into the room with a tray.

Eric stood up from his seat and went over to Jung, taking the tray from him.  " I will take it and you can go."

Hyesung quickly spoke," Jung, I heard that you save me."

Jung was about to go off but he stopped after Hyesung spoke suddenly. Jung scratched his head bashfully, " It nothing. I was just getting to the toilet when I saw you, Mr Shin, going out of the mansion and into the woods. I was scared that you....."

Jung stopped abruptly as if he was speaking too much.

"Ya Sungie,  why did you ran into the woods in the middle of the night?" Eric intercepted nicely and continued from Jung.

"Er....." Hyesung paused before he continued," I was about to retire for the night but I saw something in the woods," Hyesung pointed a direction outside the window," There is a red light. I thought that it was fire and I ran out to check. However I lost my way in the woods and ...."

"I believed it was due to the biogas. " Eric continued and also looked at Jung.

Jung caught Eric's stare and nodded before he went out of the room.

"What?" Hyesung could not call out to Jung to stop him from leaving and was trying to understand what Eric was saying.

"The reason why you fainted in the woods was due the biogas of the swampy land."

Well the tree and undergrowth was thick in the woods and some area did not get sunlight. In addition, it was raining heavily some days ago. With the fallen leaves, the dead insects or little animals and it was known that certain gas was produced in the swampy land.

It was not due to the biogas! I was being hit on the head! Hyesung almost blurted out his thinking.

"I guess it could be it." Hyesung squeezed out another smile. Just then, Dongwan's words appeared in his mind but he was sure that Eric was not involved in the series murder cases. However, the strange things that happened in the mansion made Hyesung think twice and wondered if the suspect was in the mansion?

"Hey Sungie. " Seeing the look on Hyesung, Eric went to him and nudged Hyesung lightly.

"Huh?" Hyesung looked at Eric.

Eric passed a cup of tea from the tray," Sungie, are you sure that you are okay?"

"What?" Hyesung blinked his eyes and quickly straightened himself," Of course I am alright. Don't worry about me."

"I am glad to hear that." Eric heaved a sign of relief but Hyesung could still sense his worries.

Hyesung took the tea and sipped before checking," Eric ah, you do not have to worry too much about me. I am really feeling fine now. Oh by the way, before I lost consciousness I saw some weird statutes in the woods."

"Statutes?" Eric closed his eyes, trying to recall," Are you referring to the stone statutes under the big trees?"

"Hmm." Hyesung nodded his head and held his breathe, anticipating for Eric's next sentence.

"I am not too sure either. I heard some myths about the woods. You know that the woods was dark and I guess that the statutes are there to ward some evil or what? Just like some statutes in the shrines in Japan? "

From the reply, Eric did not seem to be bothered too much with the statutes and probably it was due to the fact that Eric hardly venture into the woods. Eric would be in the mansion when he came back except the time he was sleepwalking.

"Oh I see." Hyesung muttered but the doubts thicken in his mind.

The statutes were too unique and had a deep impact on Hyesung. The wide forehead, sharp teeth, striking ears, the crouching way and the spread out wings.....

"Oh Halmeoni told me to caution you not to go into the woods at late nights."

"Hmm." Hyesung acknowledged absent minded as he was still thinking of those statues.

"Sungie, it very important." Eric's sounded serious.

"I know." Hyesung sighed and he diverted the topic," Oh Eric, will you be free this afternoon? I will be taking leave from the hospital to accompany you to see Professor Cho."

"Er, I......" Eric was thinking "Okay I will ask my secretary to cancel my afternoon appointments. I will puck you up from the hospital?"

"Okay." Hyesung was battling in his mind if he should tell Dongwan about what he encountered in the mansion.

                                                                               ******************************************************************************************

"Look at your face, what happen? Got a lecture from your superior?" Minwoo asked after seeing Dongwan stormed into his office.

Dongwan shrugged," It is not something new anyway. These things bound to happen several times a year."

Minwoo chuckled and joked," Right. This ty  things alway happened to you several times a year. But not the series murder cases."

Dongwan groaned," You are right Minwoo."

"So any development into the cases?"

"Not much. The important leads are now being lost in the mist."

"Dongwan, maybe you like to review everything again together with me?"

"Right." Dongwan moved to a white moveable  board next to a metal cabinet and pushed it near to Minwoo's table.

"Minwoo, you recall the places that the first and second body were discovered?" Dongwan asked while he marked a spot on the whiteboard.

"Here and here." Following Dongwan, Minwoo also went to the white board and drew two black line. One of the line was near to the spot that Dongwan marked.

"Based on logical deduction, there is similarities right?" Dongwan stared at the spot and lines.

"Yup." It was clear that the black line on the left represent a river while the other one represent another river. " And the third body was found here." Minwoo drew another dot near the black line on the right.

Dongwan looked at the new dot and nodded," We have discussed this before. Why did the murderer dispose the bodies into the river?"

"To cover up something." Minwoo replied quickly.

This was the only reason for disposing the bodies into the river. Else no one would have discover the gruesome methods done by the murderer. By disposing the bodies into the river, it was far easier for the body to be discovered than to bury them in secluded places. The murderer was not that stupid not to know this.

"That's right!" Dongwan's gleamed and he slapped his hand on his tights. "Minwoo, listen to my deduction and see if they are sound."

"Okay."

"If I am the murderer, in order to avoid the Police to discover the gruesome method of my killing, I have to create something to throw the Police off their track. From the first 3 deceased and the 4th, Dr Jihoon's wife, the only thing was that their eye balls were burst out. As if something was struggling to escape from the eye balls and so causing the eye balls to be out of its place."

Minwoo nodded expressing his agreement in Dongwan's words.

Dongwan grinned, " The murderer tried to conceal this. No, or should I say the need to try to conceal this unique way of killing and so dumped the bodies into the river. There are billion of micro organisms in the river or even fish and insects. And when the Police found the bodies with the missing or bursting eye balls, it would be assumed that it was caused by the bodies being soaked in the water."

"You are right so far. The murderer was trying to hide but he made a mistake."

"The body of Dr Jihoon's wife confirmed our suspicion and deduction." Dongwan carried on," If I remember correctly, in your autopsy report, the death of Dr Jihoon's wife happened within 24 hours."

"Yes." Minwoo nodded.

"So, the burst eye balls of the deceased had nothing to do with the micro organisms, fish or insects in the river." Dongwan picked up the marker and drew a large circle on the white board," As for Dr Jihoon, if Professor Yoon's deduction was correct; the scene of crime at the basement carpark was specially set up. The reason for this was because Dr Jihoon's betrayal. Dr Jihoon's burnt face, dug out eye ball was part of a ritual."

"Yoon did mention about that." Minwoo's face sadden when he recalled his old friend.

"Two items that I sent to Professor Yoon were missing. They are the book and the DVD rom. " Dongwan closed his eyes and recalling the two items.

"Are you saying that the murderer took those things?"

"That's right." But why did the murderer took those two things away? Because these two things directly or indirectly expose his identity? " The murderer killed Professor Yoon because Professor Yoon knew of the identity. Plus the laboratory was the primary crime scene. So if we can find the primary crime scene, we may be able to discover the identity. "

Minwoo was silent," Poor Yoon. A life was lost like this."

Dongwan tapped on the white board gently," If our deductions are correct so far, how do you think that Professor Yoon uncover the identity of the murderer?"

Minwoo was stunned by Dongwan's question. Yes, how on earth did Yoon discover the identity of the murderer and got himself killed?

"If.... It lies on the two missing items."

"Bingo." Dongwan snapped his fingers and his fingers combed through his short hair," But those two things, I have examine them for several times and I did not find anything."

"Er....." The leads ended.

"There was something in Dr Jihoon's laptop." Dongwan thought for a while and it was the only thing that his investigation could go on. Dongwan was sure that if he could open up a dead knot, everything would surface and he could nab the murderer.

"What is in the laptop?"

"The list of his patients." Dongwan spoke.

"List of patients? How is that going to help?"

"Minwoo, don't forget that the first 3 deceased are Dr Jihoon's patients. And the fourth is his wife." Most importantly in Dongwan's mind was the website creator- Eric Mun.

"You are saying...." It seemed logical as Minwoo thought about it," But using the details of the patients for investigation seemed a bit unethical. "

"I do not want to see a 7th body to appear." Dongwan could not care about such thing and he did not want another victim to fallen prey. " And there is a website in the laptop and the creator of the website is Eric Mun. I think there is a need to watch him 24 hours."

"Eric Mun? You are referring to the young and promising CEO of Mun Enterprise?' Minwoo was shocked.

Dongwan grinned and nodded," Yes."

Minwoo frowned," Getting your men to keep observation on Eric Mun, what if it was discovered? Your superior will not let you off."

Dongwan shrugged," Not as if my superior is letting me off now."

Dongwan had already been called to his superior ' s office before he came to Minwoo. Dongwan could not be bother if he was to be called in for another session.