Brat

When the Tables Turn

Crumpled pages littered the living room coffee table, some stray ones scattered on the floor. On the couch sat an exasperated Suho, Kris sprawled out on the cushion next to him. Suho's elbows rested on his knees, his hands clasped beneath his chin, and his gaze sternly fixated on one of the pages before him. His mouth formed an "O" shape as if he was about to speak, but no words came out, his face falling into an expression of defeat before sighing and turning to Kris, who now had one of the papers covering his face as he leaned back on the couch.

"...Kris?" Suho asked cautiously.

"Hm?" Kris replied, barely audible.

"Uh, how do you pronounce this again?"

"Ugh Joon, I've already told you like three times," Kris complained.

"I know but... I just want it to be perfect! I don't need all our Japanese fans laughing at me like the Korean ones already do," Suho pouted as he said that last part.

"Please, if they're laughing at anyone, they're probably laughing at me," Kris smirked in his reassurance, holding a proud air about him. He loved basking in the limelight, even if the reason was because he was a dumb giant.

"They laugh at both of you, hyung," a deep voice proclaimed from the hallway. Kris and Suho's heads bobbed up to face the source of the noise simultaneously, gazing upon a sleepy Sehun, with mussed blonde hair and a wrinkled oversized shirt that swallowed him up.

"Sehun ah!" Suho exclaimed, surprised. "I thought you would be out with all the others."

"You're not feeling sick, are you?" Kris asked, concerned.

"Nah," Sehun merely replied, wandering into the kitchen in search of food. He didn't look for too long before whining, "Hyunggg I'm hungry."

"There should be some chicken in the fridge. Eat that," Suho instructed. "So why didn't you go out with the others?" he prodded.

"Sleep," Sehun responded, mouth already full of chicken. "Sleep is good. Chicken is good."

Suho raised an eyebrow at the maknae, who was so far gone in the flavors of Kyungsoo's left over chicken. He hadn't even bothered to warm it up. Suho was about to address the latter issue, but was met with one of Kris' gigantic man hands, gesturing for him to keep quiet, ultimately because it would be a futile effort.

"It's 'kon-ban-wa,' by the way," Kris carefully enunciated for Suho.

"Kon-ban-wa," Suho repeated. "Nice to... meet you...?" he guessed hesitantly. He gathered from the smack on the head of a handful of papers that he had guessed wrongly.

"It means 'good evening!'" Kris scolded. "C'mon Joonmyunnie, get your head in the game."

"Mianhae, I'm not a super star who speaks four languages!" Suho complained, hoping to gain some sympathy from the older leader.

"Well you may not be as much of a super star as me," Kris bragged. "But you're still a super star. You're EXO's leader!!"

Kris' efforts to cheer up the frustrated leader became evident in the small smile curling on Suho's lips. Suho marveled at how eloquent and encouraging Kris could be, especially in contrast to his dense presence on screen or stage. Suho looked up from the paper to meet Kris' eyes, smiling at him a little wider now, his confidence regained. Kris returned the happy expression, playfully punching him in the arm.

"Ew, hyung, get a room," Sehun blurted, holding a bag of chips as he plopped on the couch right in the middle of them.

"Sehun ah, could you maybe hang out in your room for awhile? Kris and I are trying to practice our Japanese expressions and greetings for the fanmeet in a few days," Suho politely requested.

"No," Sehun replied bluntly.

"Sehun ah," Kris said sternly. "You should listen to Suho hyung. He's your leader."

"But Kris hyung," Sehun argued. "I wanna watch Supernatural."

"Sehun ah you don't even speak English! How can you understand the storyline?!" Kris disputed in disbelief, throwing his hands in the air at Sehun's idiocy.

"Hyung, I don't care about that," Sehun refuted as he reached for the remote control, turning on the TV, and mindlessly flipping channels. "I just like watching the two guys go around killing monsters and demons and stuff. It's cool."

"Aish, Sehun ah, you're so hopeless."

Sehun shrugged, ripping the bag of bbq potato chips open, popping one in his mouth and crunching obnoxiously as he settled on the right channel, which suddnenly flashed Dean's character on screen. The flickering lights were enough to distract Kris and Suho from their Japanese practice, drawing their eyes to the screen and engulfing them in the action of the show. At one point, some guy got his arm cut off and Sehun began giggling like a little girl.

"Sehun ah, I don't think that's supposed to be funny..." Suho said with disgust. He was never a fan of bloody things.

"Hyung, are you kidding?! He only has one arm now! Hahahaha," Sehun pressed himself deep into the seat cushion, his laughter subsiding a little. Sehun's crescent eyes shot wide open when the once colorful screen turned pitch black. "Yah?! What happened?!!" Sehun shouted. Clutching the now empty potato chip bag, Sehun looked up, finding a fuming Kris looming over him. Suho blinked rapidly, surprised that the usually chill Kris was finally taking action against the bratty maknae. He began to fill a little guilty since Sehun was technically his responsibility, but as has been apparent, Suho had no control over Sehun, so maybe Kris would have better luck.

"Hyung, you're in the way," Sehun stated, oblivious to what was happening here.

"Sehun ah," Kris started, exhaling through his nostrils to remain calm.

"What?"

"Suho hyung asked you to go somewhere else."

"Your point?"

"Now I'm TELLING you, Sehun ah."

"Kris hyung-" 

Sehun was cut off by a now angrier Kris. "Sehun ah, you should have some respect for Suho hyung and I! We're both your leaders and you need to learn to listen to us! This fanmeet is extremely important, and we need some peace to concentrate-" this time, Sehun cut off Kris.

"Aish, okay fine!" Sehun rose from the couch, storming off. "I'm going to take a shower," he said curtly. The door slammed when Sehun entered the bathroom, echoing through the empty house. Kris stood in the same spot he scolded Sehun from, scoffing and crossing his arms. He felt a soft tug on his shirt, originating from none other than Suho himself, urging him to sit back down next to him. Kris obliged, dropping to the couch next to Suho and resting his head on Suho's shoulder in defeat. Suho patted his head gently. "Thanks for trying, hyung. It's okay."

"It's not okay, though," Kris speculated. "He's been being a brat lately, and maknae or not, he should have some manners."

"Wakarimasu..." Suho nonchalantly stated, hoping that was the right Japanese translation for "I don't understand."

"Wakarimasen," Kris corrected.

"Dammit!" Suho muttered under his breath.

"So Joon," Kris offered. "What do you say to teaching that little brat a lesson?" The corners of Kris' mouth began to curl into a smirk.

"What do you have in mind?" Suho asked.

Kris leaned in closer, whispering his devious plan into Suho's ear.

"Kris hyung?" Suho inquired, slightly confused.

"What?"

"Why are you whispering? Sehun's not even here."

"Uh."

There was the dumb Kris Suho was used to.

"So?" Kris pressed. "What do you say?"

"Let's do it!" Suho exclaimed.

The two leaders chuckled to themselves, only slightly bordering on evil laughter. After the laughing calmed down, Suho picked up one of the papers and handed it to Kris fervently, his voice holding newfound enthusiasm, "Quiz me!"

Kris smiled at his fellow leader, taking the page from Suho's hands to assist him with more Japanese while they awaited Sehun's imminent return. As Kris prompted Suho for the translation of "hajimemae," Sehun shuffled back into the room again, ruffling his hair with a towel in attempts to dry it off. Kris and Suho set their papers down, watching the maknae as he aimlessly strolled into the room, his vision obstructed by the towel in his face.

"Hyung!" Kris called. Sehun stopped dead in his tracks, pulling the towel down from his face.

"Who hyung?" he replied.

"You hyung," Kris answered.

"Hyung, we're hungry. Make some food!" Suho demanded, playing along with Kris.

"Wait what. Aren't you guys gonna study Japanese?" Sehun asked, dumbfounded.

"Aish hyungggg, we don't want to!" Suho retaliated with his best aegyo (which wasn't really that good, but it was still better than Kris'. Actually, looking at Kris' aegyo... well... it may or may not classify as aegyo, but that's beside the point.)

"Uhh..."

"SEHUN HYUNG!" Kris shouted, impatient with Sehun's lack of action. "FOOODDD."

"Alright, geez! I'll get you some food!" Sehun caved into their whining, not knowing what else to do.

"Make sandwiches!" Kris called out to Sehun's back as he entered the kitchen.

"Neeehhhh."

A few minutes later, Sehun returned with a couple messily made sandwiches that look like they had been thrown together, rather than stacked neatly as a sandwich should. Sehun quickly shoved the plate into the two leader's faces, avoiding meeting their gazes because seriously, what the hell is going on right now? Sehun felt so confused and slightly embarrassed that his hyungs were acting so childishly towards him, but he decided to wave it off as exhaustion, since both Kris and Suho had been studying all morning. It's not that Sehun really had much sympathy for them because better them than him. It's not like he was going to talk much at the fanmeet anyway, so of course he should spend his day off sleeping in. Kris and Suho brought this upon themselves, he thought to himself. His thoughts were interrupted by a whiny Kris.

"Hyung," 

"Aish, why do you keep calling me that? I'm not-"

"There's tomatoes in here."

"Wait what. Yeah."

"I don't like those. Take it out," Kris demanded.

"Wait what. No!" Sehun denied. "Take them out your damn self. And seriously why do you keep calling me hyung?"

Suho responded to him, but failed to answer his question, instead just spewing out more demands. "Sehun hyung, you didn't cut off the crusts and don't take out my tomatoes because I like those but also add more lettuce." He managed to say all of that in just one breath. Impressive.

"What the hell is going on?!" Sehun questioned, more confused than ever.

"Nothing, hyung."

"I'M NOT YOUR HYUNG."

"Hyung, shut up and go fix these sandwiches," Suho waved him off, practically shooing him back to the kitchen.

"WHAT THE ?" Sehun groaned, very confused with what was happening. "WHY ARE YOU GUYS ACTING LIKE LITTLE ES?"

"TO SHOW YOU HOW ANNOYING IT IS!" Kris retaliated. "This is basically how you treat me and Suho hyung, Sehun ah."

"Yeah Sehun ah, it's not very nice and-" Suho was cut off by Sehun, who stopped paying attention immediately after voicing his question.

"Wait... So... If I'm your hyung, then you have to listen to me right?"

"Yep," Suho answered, ignoring the fact that Sehun had just disregraded his entire previous statement.

"Sweet," Sehun said, narrowing his eyes to hide the evil glint in his eye. "Then I want both of you to-"

Almost as if in sync, a simultaneous "No," came from both Kris and Suho.

"Wait what."

"No, Sehun hyung. I don't want to," Kris teased.

Suho added on to Kris' whining, "Yeah Sehun hyungggg, do it yourself."

"But I didn't even tell you yet!!" Sehun wailed.

"Yeah, we don't care," Kris stated as bluntly as Sehun would have, had the roles been switched.

"Ugh, you guys, not even listening to me," Sehun rolled his eyes.

"It's frustrating isn't it?" Suho prompted, his eyes shining with impeding success.

"Yes..." Sehun admitted, his gaze lowering to the ground and a small huff escaping his lips. 

"Now you finally understand how we feel," Suho declared.

"You're right Suho hyung. I understand."

"Good!" Suho crossed his arms proudly, looking over at Kris to acknowledge his brilliance in formulating this plan. Kris winked at him. Sehun pretended not to notice.

"So Sehun ah," Kris pushed. "What did you learn today?"

"Well, today I learned..." Sehun trailed off before giving his answer, looking thoughtful for a moment. His studious look was almost angelic. But the light only lasted a few seconds before his usual demonic face took over, targeting both Suho and Kris in his line of vision before stating, "That it to be you guys!" And with that, Sehun darted out of the room before either of the leaders could strangle him.

"AIIISSSHHHHH SEHUN AH!!!!"

(2123 words)