In the Wind -fin

In the Wind

Written in Jinyoung’s pov

 

Seoul, 05:17 pm.

The sun was glowing softly, golden in color, creating a beautiful shade in the sky. Every no and then, the wind blew softly, sweeping the fallen leaves. I took a deep breathe, inhaling the scent of autumn.

Holding a glass of coffee I just bought, I strolled along the park. I had nothing to do, anyway. I just felt like going out--the weather was too nice to just spent indoor. Seeing a bench near the pond, I decided to take a seat. I darted my eyes around. Evening was coming. This park isn’t as crowded as before.

“Excuse me,” a soft voice surprised me. I turned around, finding a young guy standing next to me. He looked tired. “May I sit here?” his voice sounded as if he was scared.

I nodded a yes. The guy thanked me with a voice barely above a whisper. He was slim and tall. Although he looked so weary, his face was lovely--I noticed the asymmetric imperfection of his face, but still, interesting.

“I’m sorry,” he said, voice shaking. “Do you know this address?”

I accepted a crumpled piece of paper he handed me. I read the address that was written on it. I dont really know exactly where that address was located. But I thought I know which direction to go.

“I think it’s still pretty far from here,” I said.

“Really?” the guy that I assumed wasn’t older than 20 year-old looked disappointed “Which bus I have to take to get there?”

I shook my head. I never go out by bus, hence I don’t understand any bus routes.

“Ah,” they guy looked hopeless. I noticed that his eyes got teary. “I don’t know what to do anymore.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I kept quiet. The sun started to set. The sky was getting darker. The streets and park lights were now on, shining with their dim lights. 

“That’s my mom’s address,” he said although I didn’t ask. “I...” he inhaled, holding back a sob. “I’ve been walking for two days straight from Seongnam, looking for her. But I still haven’t found her.”

What? Walking for two days straight? From Seongnam to Seoul? This guy must be insane!

I stared at the young guy. His head hung low. His body was shaking, but not because of the cold--he was crying, quietly. I felt sympathy filling up my chest.

“What’s your name?” I asked gently.

“Gongchan,” he sniffed. “Gongchan Shik.”

“Alright, Gongchan. I’m Jinyoung. I don’t know exactly the address you meant. But I know some places around there,” I said. “I can take you there if you want.”

Gongchan looked up. “Really?”

I nodded and smiled at his sweet expression. “What’s your mother’s name?”

“Lee Yeon-ae,” he sniffled again, although his tears had stopped flowing.

“Lee Yeon-ae,” I repeated the strange name. I re-read the address on that crumpled paper. “I’m not really sure I know this place. But we will find it together, ok?”

Gongchan nodded. “Thank you very much, Hyung,” he could smile then--apparently he had a very sweet smile. Then he blushed. “Umm... Can I... Can I call you ‘hyung’?”

I chuckled at his cuteness. I nodded my head and smiled to him.

The sky was completely dark now. I looked around. There were only the two of us in the park. I glanced at my watch. 6:48.

“Let’s go to my car, then,” I stood up, pulling up the zipper of my jacket, then grabbing my cold, forgotten coffee.

Gongchan nodded and stood up as well. He walked a bit behind me. My car was parked in front of the cafe where I bought this coffee earlier. It was located near the park, so we didn’t need much time walking there.

“Well, this is my car,” I said. “Come in.”

I opened the door and got in. Gongchan sat on the front passanger seat beside me. I turned on the engine, also the heater. The weather was getting colder. Autumn is going to end soon, I thought.

“Hyung,” Gongchan called. I turned. He was smiling, sincerely. “Once again, thank you.”

I returned the smile. “It’s ok. I have nothing to do, anyway.”

True. If Gongchan didn’t come to me, maybe I would just come back to my apartment, doing nothing, sitting quietly.

The car started moving, blended with the busy street of Seoul. For some moments. The two of us didn’t say anything. The song entitled with Good Love from B1A4 was playing softly from my car’s music player.

I glanced at Gongchan. He looked very tired. I could see dried tears on his cheeks.

“How old are you?” I asked, breaking the silence.

“Huh?” Gongchan looked startled, as if just woke up from a day-dream.

“How old are you,” I repeated, this time sounded more like a statement than a question.

“Oh. Nineteen,” he answered.

“Ah,” I nodded. “Two years younger than me.”

Gongchan didn’t say anyhing. But I wanted to keep this conversation, to talk to him. So I asked again. “Have you ever visited your mother’s place?”

Gongchan nodded. “But only once. And it’s been so long. I was only nine or ten year-old. I don’t remember.”

I nodded. “Have you eaten yet?”

He shook his head.

“Wanna grab some dinner first?”

He shook his head.

“Aren’t you hungry?”

He shook his head again.

“Fine,” I sighed. It’s alright if he didn’t want to talk. He must be very tired--both physically and mentally. Of course, he had walked for two days straight to a city he didn’t know, to find his mother. He really need a rest.

Gongchan took off his jacket and hugged it. He yawned, then leaned his head.

I looked at him from the corner of my eyes. “You can sleep if you want to.”

Gongchan shook his head. “I want to memorize the way to get there.”

I smiled hearing his answer.

I took a glance at the signpost we just passed. We had to turn right to reach our destination.

I turned my car to the right. The street was smaller and much less crowded than the main road (it was almost empty, actually. I didn’t see any ther vehicle around). It was darker too. Although not far from the main road, it was very different here.

After about 15 minutes or so, Gongchan said, “I think I know this road.”

I slowed down my car so Gongchan could take a closer look to our surroundings.

“Ah! Over there!” Gongchan said. He looked enthusiastic yet nervous.

I stopped my car. Once the engine was off, Gongchan hopped off immediately. I got out as well.

Gongchan ran across the small, empty road, joggeed, then stopped before a small house nearby. The house was dark. There was only a dim lamp on its porch. Gongchan turned aroung to find me already there.

“Yes, this is the place!” Gongchan smiled widely. I could see his eyes got teary again.

“Hyung, let’s go inside and see my mom,” Gongchan said.

I refused. “No, thanks. I better go home.”

Gongchan didn’t force me. He smiled, walked closer to me and held my hands. His two hands felt so cold against my skin. “Thank you, Hyung,” he said softly. Then a drop of tear rolled down his pale cheek, followed by another drop, and another drop. “Thank you very much. I will never forget this.”

I didn’t know what was gotten into me, but then, I raise my hand and wiped away the tears from his cheek. Just like his hands, his face was also really cold. Gongchan giggled because of the touch. I retreaded my hand awkwardly, then Gongchan wiped away his tears on his own.

“So...” I hang on.

Gongchan shrugged. “Yeah...”

I smiled. “I have to go home,” I checked my watch. “I have a puppy that needs to be fed.”

“Your puppy must be hungry,” Gongchan commented. “Okay, then. Thanks a lot, Jinyoung-hyung.”

“You’re welcome, Gongchan,” I smiled. “I’m going.”

Gongchan nodded. “Drive savely.”

I nodded. I walked back to my car across the road. Before entering, I looked at the house again. At the porch, Gongchan was hugging a woman, which must be his mother. I couldn’t see her face. She was back-facing me. It was Gongchan’s face that I could see. He was crying.

I smiled at the heart-warming sight. From here, I saw Gongchan catched my eyes, then sent me a sweet smile between his tears. He waved his hand at me. I waved back awkwardly. Gongchan closed his eyes and hugged her tighter, sobbing into her embrace.

I got into my car and drove home.

//

The next day, around 3 pm.

I was about to go to the public library when I saw something on the front passenger seat of my car. It was Gongchan’s jacket. I remembered he took off his jacket and got out from the car without his jacket. How come I didn’t notice the jacket when I went home last night?

I have spare time, so I decided to pay Gongchan a visit and return his jacket. He was too excited yeseterday--he might even didn’t realize his jacket was missing.

So, instead of going to the library, I drove my car to the small road to Gongchan’s place. Even in the afternoon, this road is almost empty.

I parked my car at the same spot as yeseterday. I frowned. The house wasn’t there. I was really sure I was at the right place.

I saw an old man sweeping the side of the road in front of the place where the house was supposed to be. I got off my car, deciding to ask the old man. I brought Gongchan’s jacket along. As I stepped closer, I realized that the place of the ‘missing’ house was a...graveyard?

What the...? I slowed down my steps, getting hesitated.

“Son? Son?” the old man waved his hand in front of my face. Looked like I was too shocked that I didn’t hear him talking to me.

I bowed in an apologizing way.

The old man asked, “What’s wrong, Son?”

Hesitantly, I asked, “Uh, Ajusshi, there is a house right here, right?” while pointing to the graveyard.

The old man frowned, then shook his head. “No, no... There is never any house here. I’ve been working in this grave yard for more than twenty years.”

What? Twenty years? Then...last night?

“You must’ve mistaken the place, Son,” said the old man again. “Whose house are you looking for?”

I tore my gaze away from the graveyard to look at the old man. “Lee Yeon-ae.”

“Lee Yeon-ae!” the old man almost yelled.

I frowned at his reaction.

“Let me show you something, Son,” the old man entered the graveyard. I followed with a strange feeling.

It wasn’t far from the entrance. The old man stopped. My eyes widened in surprise. Beside the old man, there was a tombstone with a framed picture of a woman. On the tomb was written, Lee Yeon-ae, June 25th - April 6th 2003.

What made me more speechless was the grave beside it. A new on. The date was only two days ago. A picture of a sweet-smiled young guy and some boquet of flowers were placed. I held the jacket in my arms tihtly, didn’t want to believe what was written on the tomb.

Gongchan Shik

August 14th 1993

-

October 6th 2012

 

//

It  I know T.T

It’s been a while since the last time I wrote. So... I’m sorry guys *bow*

Please let me know how’s your opinion.

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing ^^