#1FINITE - From August 29th to September 1st, the M!Countdown Win

The Day They Were Waiting For

 

Note, this is a fictional story, but does include many true facts. The way Infinite is depicted in this story may or may not be true. I do not know Infinite's religion, nor do I know their exact thoughts. This is, again, my take on their epic week. (:

 

August 28th

On this day, thousands of women and a handful of men, spent their Sunday, not going to church, but instead slaving away on their computers. On this day, thousands of posts calling, "Last Minute Voting" were viral on websites like Tumblr and Twitter. On this day, thousands clicked on Infinite's name to cast their one vote-of-the-day on them, in hopes that they would claim the number one spot. On this day, we Inspirits strived to get Infinite their long-awaited award.

Somewhere, deep in Seoul, Korea, seven men glued themselves to a single laptop. The seven pairs of eyes couldn't remove themselves from the shiny, glowing screen. They laid on the wooden, living room floor, densely crowded together. Hoya constantly tapped the trackpad, clicking the refresh button. Every second, they watched their numbers fall then rise again. The seven men were on the edge of their seats. The poll was going both ways: good and bad. Just a few days ago, they were battling MBLAQ for the number one spot, but now Teen Top has replaced MBLAQ, and let me say personally that Teen Top's Andromeda fan-club was a force to reckoned with. Teen Top's 38% was slowly catching up to Infinite's 43%.

Infinite only needed to keep this lead for a few more hours. Then the voting would be closed. They needed time to pass faster. 

"We can't be doing this," Sunggyu nagged, "we need to get back to practice! We have that special 'Before The Dawn' performance, remember?" Sungggyu sighed as he pulled himself off the floor. He tapped his foot loudly and waited for his other members to follow his lead. When he saw that no one moved, he pulled on his best friend, Woohyun's collar, bringing him off the floor. 

"Let's go guys," whined Woohyun as he followed Sunggyu, "before Sunggyu hyung breaks Hoya's laptop."

Hoya's eyes widened as he immediately shut the laptop, "Let's go, Sunggyu hyung might actually do it."

One by one, the members of Infinite picked themselves off the floor and walked out of their small, three bedroom dorm. As six of the seven Infinite members waked down the street to their rehearsal room, one stayed behind and sat silently on the couch. He closed his eyes and clasped his tiny, feminine like hands together. 

"Lord, please let this Thursday be our day," prayed Sungjong. He smiled to himself, tied his shoes, then happily walked out of dorm.


August 29th

In a corner of their living room, Hoya, Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Sungjong, and Dongwoo gathered around Hoya's laptop. Just like the day before, their eyes locked themselves on the M! Countdown page. Across the screen, their name flashed in bright silver letters. They won the voting. The five sighed sighs of relief; one, because they beat Teen Top in the poll. Two, because Sunggyu hyung hadn't caught them on the laptop again. 

"Step one of winning, accomplished," mumbled Dongwoo

The five smiled and highfived each other, rejoicing in their small, yet big accomplishment. It really was their first step in winning the prize and they couldn't contain their excitement.

"YAH!" yelled a looming voice, "YOU ARE ON THE COMPUTER AGAIN?! LEE HOWON, HAND ME THAT LAPTOP!"

The five turned to see their leader enraged. The five began to cower in fear; In fear of their leader's excessive nagging. Out of the five, Hoya was the most afraid, not because he was frightened by Leader Gyu, but because his poor laptop was at risk of being smashed. Hoya gripped the thin, metal device in his muscular arms. As Sunggyu took a step towards Hoya, Sungyeol stood up.

"Let's go practice!" Sungyeol said changing the topic.

"Yeah! See you there, hyung!" yelled Hoya as he ran out of the dorm, his laptop in hand. 


 

August 31st

The time was twelve am. Twelve was the time everyone fell asleep, but for Infinite, the night had just begun. Wait, you're saying that this was a late time? I doubt it, because this was the time Infinite came to practice. They did this every night. Yes, just like every other idol, Infinite had long, late night practices. As we speak, Infinite's van rolled up to the rehearsal room. 

"Let's hurry and finish this rehearsal," whined Sungyeol, "I'm tired." He sluggishly walked into the building with Myungsoo trailing behind him. 

Following the Myungyeol couple was the other members. They quickly walked into the building and began their intense practice. Even though they dressed in thin, comfortable clothing the seven men still sweated bullets. Especially, Myungsoo. 

"Let's take a five-minute break?" asked Sunggyu. 

The other members readily agreed and headed towards the back of their small rehearsal room. Myungsoo and Sungjong walked towards the fan and attempted to dry off their sweat. Woohyun, Dongwoo, and Hoya walked to the corner of the room and grabbed towels. Sunggyu, on the other hand, sat on the floor and watched his fellow members. A sense of admiration flowed through his veins. These people were s. Together they made it so far.

"Gather around kids," called Sunggyu. 

The other six took a seat on the floor next to Sunggyu. 

"Tomorrow, could be a big day for us," stated Sunggyu. The other six nodded, smiled, and highfived each other, "But there is also a chance that tomorrow won't be what we expected. And I'm not saying this to flatten our spirits. I just want to remind you guys of how far we've come. I don't want to sound arrogant, but we've made it a long way! We have a fan-base that's dedicated to us."

"Anyway, I just want to say that even if we don't win tomorrow, I'm proud of you guys, I'm proud to be a member of Infinite, and I'm proud to have met all of you. Together, we became Infinite. And till death separates us, we'll be Infinite. Let's promise to work hard, and tonight we'll pray that September 1st will be our day," said Sunggyu. He smiled and nodded his head, the way he does whenever he speaks seriously to the other members. 

"TOMORROW WILL BE OUR DAY!" yelled Dongwoo, breaking the silence. His laughter flooded the room and excited the other members. 

"Tomorrow is our day!" yelled Woohyun.

"YEAH!" "LET'S DO THIS!"

Hoya stood up. He made his hand into a fist, making it seem as if he was holding a microphone. He smiled at the members, giving a hidden signal to them. He brought his fist to his mouth, "When I say 'INFI', you say 'NITE'. INFI--"

"--NITE!" 

"INFI--"

"NITE!"


 

September 1st

This was the day. The day that could change everything. Infinite nervously sat in their dressing room, waiting for their turn to go on stage. In the corner of the room, Hoya danced away to unheard music. Woohyun, Sungyeol, and Dongwoo got their hair done by the stylists. Myungsoo and Sungjong visited other dressing rooms, greeting their fellow idol friends. Lastly, Sunggyu was seated next to his manager, speaking about changing their dorm. 

The boys were dressed in their old BTD outfits. "It's been a long time since we've worn these. This outfit used to burn me up on stage," Woohyun reminisced. 

"Its time to get on stage, you guys," called their manager, "get on stage while I get the two maknaes." 

---

After they performed and recorded their one-minute performance of "Before The Dawn", the boys hurried back into the dressing room to change into their "Be Mine" costumes. After an hour of dressing up and re-styling their hair, Infinite walked out back onto the stage. They rocked their performance with the usual swagger. Their vocals were on point. The dance moves were synchronized, as always. Hoya was intense as usual. The performance went as planned. 

"Good job boys," complimented their manager, "now, just relax and wait for the ending." 

Infinite nervously nodded and took the chance to rest.

--

Sunggyu woke up his sleeping members. One by one the members stood up, wiped their faces, and checked their appearances in the mirror. Sunggyu had a little trouble waking up Dongwoo, but with the help of the other members, Dongwoo rose from his hibernate-like sleep. 

"Its time," mumbled Sungjong. Before he stepped on the stairs to the stage, he closed his eyes and prayed a small prayer. 

The idols all gathered on stage. Instead of being in the back of the crowd, like they usually were, they stood in front next to the MCes. They were one of the candidates for winning, so they would stand near the front. Tony Ahn and his co-host said their usual sayings. Then, together they announced the top twenty ranking. After that, they did the top 10 to top 4 ranking. The time was approaching. 

"Its time to announce the winner," stated Tony, "please show us!"

Behind the audience, a screen glowed, showing the results. Leessang was on the left side, Sistar on the right, and Infinite in the center of the screen. Numbers flashed, totals were calculated, and the figures were slowing to a stop.

"Eight," whispered Sunggyu.

"Seven," whispered Dongwoo.

"Six," whispered Woohyun.

"Five," whispered Hoya.

"Four," whispered Sungyeol.

"Three," whispered Myungsoo.

"Two," Sungjong said with hopeful eyes. 

"One," they yelled together.

Time stopped. In the eyes of Infinite, everything was frozen. Sounds were blocked out of their ears. Only the sights of screaming fans and streamers flowing down were the only things Infinite sensed. They were frozen, but at that moment, they finally unfroze.

"INFINITE!" 

"Congratulations!" "Congratulations!"

They couldn't believe it. Did they really win? Was their name really called? Had they finally made it? Did Inspirits do it for them? 

A microphone was forced into Sunggyu's hand and a shiny glass award was handed softly to Hoya. It finally happened. They became number one. After several weeks of fighting for the number one spot versus huge names in the industry, they reached the top. They were Over The Top.

The boys broke into tears. Sungjong let his tears fall, occasionally wiping the droplets with his hand. The normally joyous, cheerful, energetic Dongwoo cried buckets of tears while holding onto Woohyun for support. Woohyun, seeing the combined tears of his fans and Dongwoo, began to cry. He cried and cried, not even trying to hold back. As Sunggyu began to speak, Hoya's tears started to sprinkle out. The manliest member of Infinite had broken down. Myungsoo smiled at his hyung and gave him a hug, comforting the manly elder.

Sunggyu glanced at s then began his speech:

"Starting off with our lovely CEO, representative Lee Joongyup we thank you so much. Executive Jiyoung, Youngjun hyung, Jungryul hyung, Hyowan hyung, we thank you so, so much. And thank you to the Infinite family. Thank you composer Han Jaeho for always continually introducing us to amazing songs. And our Inspirits who always support us, we thank you so, so much. We'll always work harder in showing a better image of ourselves, and thank you so much. I LOVE YOU INSPIRITS!"

The screams of overjoyed Inspirits echoed through the studio, bringing the boys more tears. Sunggyu handed the microphone to Hoya, but was unable to speak because of his continuing tears. 

"Reminds me of my idol days," said Tony Ahn as he closed the show. 

The show was ending, but the high of the win was still there. Everyone left the stage, but Infinite remained. They walked around awkwardly, grabbing other members into an embrace, and sang some parts of their song. Some parts were left unsung, because of Woohyun and Sungjong's intense tears. Myungsoo and Sungyeol stood happily, tearless, showing off hearts to their lovely Inspirits. The others cried and sang the song. 

The seven will always remember this day.

It will be the day that Sunggyu achieved his wish of receiving an award before going off to Japan. Woohyun and Dongwoo will remember this day as the day they warmed Inspirit's hearts with their tears. Sungjong will have this day in his mind for the rest of his life. Sungyeol and Myungsoo will remember this day as the day the showered their Inspirits with love. Hoya will remember this day too. He will remember it as the day when he could finally go home to his parents. He could go home and tell them that he finally succeeded. 

They will ALL remember September 1st. This is Infinite's Day and from now on, it will always be Infinite's day.

September 1st, Infinite's Day, they day we were waiting for.


AND THE VIDEO THAT INSPIRIED ME: