CHAPTER ONE

My Light

Headline News: "EXO dominates the world yet again with their comeback song entitled 'Our Everything'", "EXO's new album tops Billboard Charts in Europe and America at #1", "EXO's members' each individual activities keep on piling up, says SM Entertainment, with no member left without-------

"Hyung, seriously? You just had to turn the television off when we're watching?" "Sorry Jongin, I guess I pressed the wrong button." Jongin just shook his head after I winked at him and soon later he turned the tv on after I left.

News about how our popularity was soaring high have been focused on by different entertainment news channel every single day. I know this because Jongin and the others has this routine to watch entertainment news after morning practice. I wasn't practically irritated with the news, I was happy actually. We've finally reached our goal. I was just depressed these past few days...no, months. For two months, I haven't heard anything about my girlfriend. Any guy would be depressed with that. Not knowing what to do, what to say when-----*ring ring ring* "Hello?" "Baekhyun." Finally, the voice I've been wanting to hear for so long. "Oh god, thank you. I haven't heard from you for two months what---" "Baekhyun, do you want to have a picnic?" I could practically hear her smile behind the phone. Yes, hear. "Um, sure but not outside though 'cuz you know..." I heard her laugh. Her sweet angelic laugh. "Yes, I know Baek. You don't really have to rub the fact that you're famous in my face." I laughed and she laughed too. "So, where is this picnic?" I asked. "Later at my backyard. My overly spacious backyard." "Okay then, see you. Oh and you have a lot of explaining to do." "Yes, I know. See you." "Sarang----" *toot toot toot* "Suho hyung!" "What?" "I'll be leaving for awhile." "Wher---" "I'll tell you everything later bye!" I shut the door to the practice room and immediately went to her house using my manager's car shrugging the fact that she hung up on me just as I was about to say I love her because I was too occupied with overflowing happiness of having to meet her.

~~

*knock knock* The door opened revealing a petite middle aged woman smiling at me. "Baekhyun." There was something about her smile that seemed off but I decided not to think about it too much. "Hi Mother. Is your daughter here?" I asked. "Yes. She's in the backyard. She was setting up the picnic-like lunch for you awhile ago. Come in. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me." She then closed the door after I got in and went her way. I immediately went to the backyard of course and there she was. Sitting on a checkered blanket with her legs outstreched, face up and eyes closed. I silently walked towards her and when she was finally at my reach, I back-hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. "Baekhyun!" She shouted as we were both laughing. "Yes milady." I said, mimicking a servant. "Shut up and sit down with your legs stretched." She told me. "Why does my legs have to be stretched?" I answered as I was sitting down. "Because..." She suddenly put her head on my lap. "I was gonna do this." Smiling brightly as she said that. I smiled back and gave her a quick kiss. We stayed silent for a moment, most probably cherishing the moment we had right now until she spoke up. "Open the basket. Come on." "Okay...?" I opened the basket and saw strawberries with a smell that hinted about how they were freshly picked. "STRAWBERRIES. You're seriously an angel, I love you!" I hugged her. "I know I am. Now go and get the chocolate spread there somewhere. Dip some strawberries and give me some." "Am I your servant? Really?" She laughed. "I missed your laugh, and your smiles, really----" "Hey, Baek. You love strawberries right?" She suddenly asked. "Way to change the subject but yeah. I love them." I smiled at her. She then told me about the time when she gave me some at the dorm when she visited and how I was scolding my members on why they finished the strawberries without leaving some for me. We laughed at the memory then enjoyed the silence after that. Just looking at the clouds. "I love how that cloud looks like an ice cream." I then sang Hyuna's song 'Ice Cream' complete with the facial expressions and she laughed. "I love it when you do that." She told me. "Do what?" I asked her while obviously knowing the answer. "You know the answer Baek you just want me to say it directly." She smiled. I really love her smile, I thought to myself. "You know me too much." She laughed. "I also like the thoughtfulness of yours to make people happy. The thought of wanting no sadness and just fun even when you're all tired. Your determination for success...your---" "What's this all of a sudden? I'm being showered with compliments." I laughed, but she didn't. "Hey." She then sat up straight and looked straight into my eyes. "Baek, the reason I met with you today is---" "No." I suddenly said. "No. Baek. You have to hear this." She said. "I don't want to!" I answered back. My voice slightly raising. "Baek..." She said, trying to calm me down. "No. I already said no. Wh-why? Why now? Why are you doing this? Why---" "Baek.." She said. Trying to say what she wanted to say, again. "Why didn't you contact me when you got home from the family trip? The trip only lasted for a week. You didn't contact me for two months. Why?" I asked. "Baek.." "Answer me." I said demandingly. "It's because..." Her eyes wandered off to the ground. She was looking for an answer. "It's because I lost my phone and---" "Lie. If you lost your phone then you would have not called with the same number as before." "Baekhyun." She said calmly. "Why are you like this? What are you hiding from me? What can't you tell me?" My voice was raising its volume now. "BAEKHYUN!" She shouted with control and with a message that clearly says she wants me to listen to her first. "Listen to me first. For once, please. This is the only time I'll speak out my thoughts so let me." Silence. 

"It's been exactly 11 months and 2 weeks that we've been dating. I've survived those days dating an idol without anyone knowing and I've cherished it. Even if our hangouts and dates were either at my house, your parents house, at your dorm or at the entertainment." An unknown substance was starting to fill up my eyes. She looked straight into mine that I can tell she wasn't lying. "You became the light that showed me the right way, the light that brighten up my day, the light that gave me hope, and the light that will never cease in my heart." Tears started falling from her eyes. I'm scared that tears might be falling from my eyes. "Please. Stop talking, I beg you--" I begged her. Tears was falling from my eyed now. "Baek, it's time for you to be a light to others. An inspiration to the next generation, to your fans, to everyone beside you." She said. "Why? What if I only wanted to be your light? Why can't we stay together? Forever? Like I promised?" She looked at the ground, smiling though tears fell from her eyes. "You're at the peak of your success Baekhyun. You're recognized right now. All around the world. You've got ads, movies, comebacks. You're where you've always wanted to be." She told me. "But, I can't continue living without you. As cliche as it sounds, I can't. Two months was already too much for me, I----" "Baek, would you dare to choose me and leave everything that you've worked hard for right this moment?" I stayed silent. Why would she ask that? That's an invalid question---"See. You won't." "It's not that I won't---" "Shh. You won't. I know you enough to know that you won't. Besides, I will never let you do that. You've worked hard just to get to where you are right now. This was your dream since you were a child Baek. Since you were a child. You stuck to that dream and you made it happen. I won't let that dream shatter just because you were seen dating me. A no one." "You're not a no one---" I tried talking her out of it. "Baekhyun. Face the reality. I'm not a ballerina, I'm not some figure skating champion, nor an actress or an idol. I'm an ordinary person. I was a fan of yours right?...and since I'm a fan, I will protect your dreams wherever I may be and I won't let anything harm you." "Stay by my side please..." I begged once more, hoping for a change of mind. "I'm sorry Baek." "Dear, Baek's manager is here." Her mother told her. "Baek--" "I know. I'm leaving." I started to walk slowly back to the house when I remembered I still had something to say. I turned around, facing her, looking straight into her eyes despite the tears blocking my eyes. I then said, "I love you and you'll forever stay in my heart." She smiled once again, though a lonely smile this once and mouthed the words "I love you too, Byun. Baek. Hyun." Then I left.

~~

After a 2 weeks, Baekhyun received news that she was in the hospital but sadly when he arrived he was too late. Chanyeol delivered the news of her death to Baekhyun and apparently, Baek didn't take it too well. Much less when he heard that he had a letter from her with last messages of how he should take care of himself and how he has made a big part on her decision to accept a surgery that had only 5% of success rate. Chanyeol and the other members helped him in recovering from her death and some like Sehun who would keep him reminded of how and what he has gone through and how he should take it as a lesson and as an inspiration to lead a more successful life.

 

Her last words to Baekhyun were,

"You were the light that inspired me, taught me, loved me for who I am, and gave me hope and courage to go through things that I myself have never thought that I could have done myself. Thank you for being with me for a year, it's a year I will never forget and a year that was spent magnificiently. Share the light you've given me to people who needs them and when fame detaches from you, I hope someone will be there to support you and love you for who you are and what you would want to do. Be with someone who gives you light too because it will be a bond that you will forever cherish. I love you. Byun. Baek. Hyun. My light, ny star, my everything."