part v - but he found a footman instead

a semi, kinda, sorta fairytale

 

 

 

 

 

"I've been in love with you for so long, I don't even know how not to be."

 

Baekhyun's in love with him.

 

Baekhyun has always been in love with him.

 

Chanyeol's frozen on the spot. Did he hear that right?

 

"It has always been you. Every morning. At night. Everywhere... there's only ever been you,"  Baekhyun continues, voice tight, lips trembling. "At first I thought it was because we're always together," the shorter man lets out a heartbreaking laugh, "but then I saw you go out with a different person... kiss a different person each time and I kept on thinking why couldn't it be me? Always that question, when you told me about your first crush, when you told me you scored your first... every damned time you asked me to cover for you when you sneak out with somebody else."

 

The older man shakes his head. "Except of course, I knew the answer. It couldn't be me because I'm your best friend and I'm not the person you'll want to wake up beside you in bed. Best friends are meant to comfort you through your hangovers and humor you out of a bad day. Best friends aren't meant for romantic candlelight dinners and holding hands."

 

"But I thought that as long as I'm with you, it's okay. I was secure because you replace lovers as often as you want but I know you'll never be able to replace me." Baekhyun turns to look at him, eyes searching his. "I was stupid to feed you all that stuff about soul mates, thinking you'll never find them. You were always too busy to bother taking a second look. But you told me you did find one, that night, and I didn't know what to do. You, showing me that necklace, made it all real. I was going to lose you and I was scared."

 

"I set them up, those candidates for you to meet knowing you'll never really fall for any one of them because I know you. I was hoping you'd give up soon. I... took advantage of the fact that you trust me and I'm sorry. I love you so much and then you kissed me and I couldn't live with myself."

 

Chanyeol hears Baekhyun's words but right now all he understands is that he was already going insane the past few days looking for his soul mate and figuring what the hell he's feeling for Baekhyun only to find out that he needn't have gone through all that. His best friend knew who the owner of the necklace was but he still sent Chanyeol on a wild chase knowing full well that he'll get nowhere. He said he loved Chanyeol but all Baekhyun did was manipulate him.

 

In the end, the person he trusted the most lied to him.

 

"I just—how could you, Baek?" Chanyeol asks, chest heavy with pain and disappointment. "Is that how you love a person? By making a fool of them?"

 

"I didn't want to!" Baekhyun steps closer and reaches out to touch him but his hand stops midway before falling at his side. "I felt awful because I was supposed to be your best friend but I was the one making you unhappy."

 

"But obviously not awful enough because you kept on lying," he answers. He knows he hurt Baekhyun with that but he can't stop. He sees the other man's eyes fill with tears and Chanyeol thinks he wants to cry, too, but he doesn't really know how. "You're so selfish. And to think that I—"

 

And to think that I was going to say I love you.

 

Was it even real then? Baekhyun didn't give him the chance to meet his soul mate... what if his feelings just got misplaced? What if he didn't really feel anything for Baekhyun and this need to put his arms around him means nothing? His head and his heart and everything else inside him are at war with each other and he just wants the hurting to stop.

 

"You know what, I can't do this," Chanyeol says. He wants to leave, to get as far away as he can. He hears Baekhyun call his name but he doesn't stop walking. He goes out and he runs. He wants to find it, the place where he can forget. He wants to go somewhere he can feel at ease and rest. He closes his eyes to everything else and he runs and runs until he's spent and can't go on anymore.

 

But when next he opens them, he's back outside their hotel room, leaning his head against the door. Because he realizes that the only place where he can let his guard down and just be Chanyeol is here, right beside his best friend.

 

He slowly opens the door and enters. Baekhyun's sitting in the middle of his bed looking worried. The smaller man looks up and sighs in relief when he sees him.

 

"Chanyeol."

 

Wordlessly, the younger male goes to Baekhyun and sits beside him. Baekhyun lets out a small gasp of surprise when Chanyeol lays his head on his lap. After a few moments, he feels Baekhyun's hand run through his hair, comforting him.

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

Chanyeol's body relaxes, although his hold on Baekhyun tightens. They both know this doesn't change things and there is still that wall between them.

 

"Can we stay like this just for a little while?" he whispers.

 

"Okay."

 

In the morning, when he wakes up, he's alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The man has a heart-shaped smile.

 

If it were the Park Chanyeol of three weeks ago, he'd have already smiled back and have been charmed by the guy in front of him. For Do Kyungsoo was indeed charming. He has an easy going attitude but Chanyeol can see intelligence in his large brown eyes. He has this adorable way of pursing his full lips, too, whenever he's focused on something.

 

As it was, unfortunately, Kyungsoo was meeting the Park Chanyeol of today, the man who's up until the wee hours of the morning and gets less than three hours of sleep every day. The Park Chanyeol who seems to have lost his ability to enjoy life and who can only offer, at most, a half-smile at Kyungsoo's last quip.

 

He's really smart, Chanyeol thinks as he sips on his cup of coffee, because although the guy definitely noticed, Kyungsoo doesn't mention the sorry state of Chanyeol's rumpled shirt and the eye bags weighing his eyes down. Chanyeol appreciates that.

 

It's still bright outside the small cafe they agreed to meet in despite the drop in temperature with the beginning of November. Chanyeol's gaze goes to Kyungsoo's small hand as he stirs sugar into his own cup. Then he leans back against his chair and discreetly studies the other man in whole.

 

In his light colored sweater, Chanyeol notes small shoulders. He's on the thin side but his cheeks make him look... what's the word? Ah, squishy. He has smooth skin, fair just as he remembered from the one-winged angel from the ball. He also has shiny black hair that looks almost as soft as Baekhyun's.

 

Chanyeol feels a pinch in his chest as he recalls the name.

 

Byun Baekhyun, his best friend, and the reason why Park Chanyeol couldn't even muster a full smile. It's been eight days, eleven hours and—Chanyeol checks his watch—sixteen minutes since he last saw him. He hasn't received even a short message from the older guy and he's not sure how to feel about that.

 

Although, he might be a bit jealous of Kyungsoo because Baekhyun had obviously called him to arrange this meeting between them. Except being jealous is absurd because what he should feel right now is happiness. He finally got to meet his soul mate and Do Kyungsoo was everything he's supposed to want. In the very least, he believes his mother will like him. She has always liked doctors.

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

Chanyeol quickly shakes his head. "No, no of course there's none."

 

"That's a relief! I thought I was growing another head, the way you were staring at me."

 

Kyungsoo chuckles and the sound unexpectedly makes Chanyeol grin. He pauses when he realizes this and for the first time since he feels hopeful about this date.

 

"Oh, so the Prince does know how to smile. I wondered if you were actually made of stone," the guy teases.

 

Chanyeol shakes his head again and he straightens in his seat. "I'm sorry. I know I've been a grouch." He tries to gather whatever's left of the Park Chanyeol the Society pages loved. "Can I have a second chance?"

 

Kyungsoo looks amazed for a second before he covers it with a cough. His eyelids flutter a little as he nods, cheeks coloring a little, and Chanyeol knows he's got this.

 

Do Kyungsoo seems to like him.

 

"Okay, on one condition," the other man says. "I was told you've got my necklace. So if you don't mind returning it to me?"

 

The Park heir immediately takes out the velvet box from his pocket. Kyungsoo holds out his hand but Chanyeol stands up and walks to his side. He stops behind Kyungsoo and bends down to whisper into his ear. "Let me."

 

Kyungsoo stands up, too, and bows his head a little when Chanyeol starts to place the necklace around his neck, exposing his nape. The taller man stares at the smooth patch of skin as he fastens the lock. There is no violent rush of emotions, no wild beating of the heart. But Chanyeol doesn't mind. He doesn't trust those feelings anymore. With Kyungsoo, he feels calm and maybe, that's it. When you find your soulmate, there is no more chaos, just the peace of everything falling into place.

 

"What do you know, it fits," Chanyeol says.

 

The smaller male acts shocked. "Woah, it does. Thank you,” he says while holding out his hand. ”By the way, I’m Dr. Do Kyungsoo, I head a government-funded research on lung cancer treatment," he jokingly boasts.

 

"Nice to meet you, Doc. I'm Park Chanyeol and I do nothing for a living."

 

"Charming," Kyungsoo answers with an amused laugh. "Would you like to get a cup of," he glances down at their cups on the table, "a cooling, half-drunk cup of black coffee?"

 

"It would be my pleasure."

 

Chanyeol starts to believe, as he returns in his seat, that for a soulmate, Kyungsoo would do just fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Wedding of the Year (as the papers called it) was scheduled to take place on the 27th of November, the same day as Park Chanyeol's birthday. Rumor has it that at least 800 guests are invited to the event that was to take place at the Park's luxurious country home.

 

Several popular idol-groups were tapped to perform during the reception, an affair that would be catered by the best chefs not only in South Korea, but from all over the world. No expense will be spared and it's predicted that this wedding will be the talk of the town for months after.

 

Reporters (and the whole city) were abuzz when they got ahold of the story. Theirs was like a whirlwind romance. Chanyeol proposed to a flustered Kyungsoo two weeks after their first date and in less than ten days, Park Chanyeol will be married to his soul mate.

 

The invitations were sent out two days ago and out of the 800 guests, 799 already confirmed their attendance. The last invitation has yet to be delivered. In fact it's currently in Chanyeol's hands, the corners of the envelope already frayed from him playing with it. His secretary didn't know where to send the thing because up to now, nobody knows where Byun Baekhyun is.

 

He's not in his apartment. His number's out of reach. Baekhyun asked for an indefinite leave of absence from the company and Chanyeol's mighty annoyed that his father approved it without asking him first. And to top it all off, Jongin's missing, too.

 

Are they together? Is Baekhyun in Jongin's arms right now?

 

The invitation gets crushed when Chanyeol thinks of his best friend with his cousin. Although he has no right to be, he's angry. He has Kyungsoo and he doesn't love Baekhyun but Baekhyun said he loved him. Did he lie about that, too?

 

Honestly, if Baekhyun's there, he wasn't sure how they would act around each other after what happened. It would be awkward as but at least he knows Baekhyun's close. At this point, he thinks he's not even all that angry anymore. Chanyeol sighs. He just wants to know if he's safe.

 

"Mr. Park?" a servant calls from outside his bedroom door. "Madame Park's already looking for you. The party starts in thirty minutes."

 

"I'll be right out," he answers.

 

Chanyeol sits up and glances at the suit spread out beside him in bed. His eyes go to a scrap of black silk cloth on top of the shirt. The engagement party's a less elaborate masked ball at their country estate just as he requested. Because for the last time, before his life married to Kyungsoo begins, he wants to feel it again. That feeling when he first saw him in the maze. That moment he fell in love.

 

He likes his fiance. He makes Chanyeol laugh and even though he's busy with his job at the institute, Kyungsoo makes it a point to call him every day. He's also a great cook and has once came over at the Park's city residence with Chanyeol to cook for his mother. The taller man was right, his mother loved Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol sighs again and starts to dress up. It would do no good if he's late for his own party, not to mention Baekhyun would burn me alive, he tells himself, belatedly remembering once more that his best friend wasn't there.

 

He shakes his head and finishes putting on his tuxedo, wearing the silk mask last. He takes a look at himself on the tall mirror in one corner of his bedroom. Satisfied with his appearance, he turns to leave but his eyes land on the alarm clock on his bedside table. Chanyeol walks towards it and picks the old thing up.

 

Mickey Mouse grins up at him. The last time he heard its shrill ring was the morning Baekhyun woke him up for his masquerade ball. That seems a lifetime ago.

 

Where the hell are you, Baek?

 

He puts the alarm clock down and goes out to find his mother and Kyungsoo. He'll enjoy the party tonight, so he can forget, even for a little while, that he misses his Mickey Byun so much.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo is twirling Mrs. Park across the ballroom and Chanyeol hears her delighted giggles from where he's standing at the sidelines. Beside him, leaning on the same pillar, CEO Park shakes his head at his wife's loud laughter but the younger man can see through the exasperated facade. His father loves his mother dearly even after all these years and Chanyeol wants that for himself.

 

He gazes back at where Kyungsoo is. He's in a white suit with his hair slicked back and even with half of his face covered with a white mask, he still looks adorable when he smiles. Chanyeol knows what he feels for him isn't as grand as what his parents have and he admits it's less than what he felt when he first saw him in the maze, but surely, they'll get there, right?

 

"I'm glad you're finally settling down, son. You managed to find a partner in such a short time." The old man pats his back. "I just want to make sure, though, that you're not rushing into things. I know your mother said she'll cut your inheritance in half if you don't get married by your birthday, but you know she won't go through it for real."

 

Chanyeol nods. “I know it’s been quick, sir, and, I’m grateful for your concern, but I’m not doing this just because of what mother said,” he assures the older man. “I really want to stop running around and, as you said, settle down.”

 

“That’s good then.” CEO Park plucks the champagne glass from Chanyeol’s hand. “Now, time to save your fiancé from your mother,” he says with a wink before shoo-ing him to the dance floor. “And be sure to tell her that her aging husband is in desperate need of a dance partner.”

 

“I will,” Chanyeol promises with a chuckle. He gives his father a salute before he continues on his way.

 

He pauses when he reaches the edge of the dance floor and stood there for a moment to watch his guests traipse about in their colorful dresses and suits. As usual, everyone looked just like everyone else. He grew up mostly believing they're all the same—shallow creatures decked out in expensive clothes who don't look past the masks of their partners to see the real person beneath. All of them, easily beguiled by the flash of diamonds and the promise of an inexhaustible bank account.

 

No, not all of them, his mind tells him. There has always been that one person who stands out because he's different, that boy he will always look for in a crowd. He unconsciously searches for shiny black hair, small laughing eyes, a cute button nose and a wide thin-lipped smile. When he realizes who he's searching for, he silently berates himself because for the thousandth time, you idiot, he's not here.

 

He should stop trying to find his best friend and focus instead on getting to Kyungsoo. Chanyeol spots his fiance and his mother near the center of the dance floor. He takes a deep breath before he makes his way through the throng of swaying bodies, locking away the loneliness for another time.

 

However, Chanyeol suddenly stops in his stride as he feels the air around him shift. His head started reeling and he's not sure what's happening but the promise of something wonderful compels him to look back. Like magic, the pull's so strong, he can't have stopped it. Nor does he want to. He turns around carefully, and everything seems to slow down except for his heart beat.

 

Then Chanyeol sees him.

 

And he feels more than a spark of joy because he's here and he's beautiful and he's smiling and, and, and... he's back. He's wearing the generic half mask and black suit but he'll always be different from everyone else. It's amazing how his presence can light up the room and steal the air, leaving Chanyeol quite breathless. There's that perpetual dust of stars in his eyes, making them sparkle as he stares right back at Chanyeol. The man walks towards him and Chanyeol waits until they're only a foot apart before he says, "Care to tell me where the hell have you been?"

 

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun answers, looking up at him.

 

"Dammit, Baekhyun," Chanyeol mutters. "What do you want me to say?"

 

The shorter male unexpectedly holds his palm up. "Say you'll dance with me."

 

Just like that he forgets about everything else. He forgets about his fiance, his anger, his disappointments and pain because for the first time, Baekhyun asked him to dance.

 

He reaches for Baekhyun's hands and he puts them on top of his shoulders. Then he encircles his best friend's waist and draws him close against his chest. Chanyeol doesn't care if they're moving too slow for the music. What matters is that Baekhyun's here and he's not running away.

 

"I know it's late but congratulations," Baekhyun says, breaking the eye contact, gaze dropping somewhere below Chanyeol's ears "Despite me being a meddling piece of , you'll finally get your happy ending."

 

"Yeah." Baekhyun, look at me.

 

"I wasn't sure if you'd still want to talk to me let alone see me after what I did," his best friend continues and there's a catch in his voice that makes Chanyeol want to gather him closer and, perhaps, never let go. "But my best friend is getting married so I wanted to see you one last time to tell you I'm sorry and to make sure you're happy. You are, aren't you?"

 

Chanyeol's throat closes up. How does he answer that question when it seems like Baekhyun's saying goodbye?

 

"But of course, you're happy. I needn't have asked," Baekhyun says with a short laugh, eyes still downcast.

 

Goddamit, look at me.

 

Chanyeol stops dancing altogether and he abruptly tilts Baekhyun's chin up. He wants to rip that ugly mask off and see his face.

 

"How would you know if I'm happy or not?" he asks almost angrily. How would you when you weren't even here to see how much I've missed you?

 

 "Silly pwincess," Baekhyun replies teasingly, but his smile never quite reaches his eyes. "Did you forget how long I've been beside you?"

 

Chanyeol's tired of guessing what the older man wants to say and so he looks him straight in the eyes and asks,"Why are you running away again, Baekhyun? Because it sure as hell sounds like you are."

 

"Because," the shorter male smiles a bit wistfully and Chanyeol feels those pretty fingers play with the hair at the back his head, "even if it's impossible, I want you to run after me."

 

"Baek—"

 

"Don't worry, Park. I'm just kidding."

 

Chanyeol frowns down at his friend. "This is not the time for jokes."

 

"I know." And Baekhyun surprises Chanyeol when he suddenly tiptoes and wraps his arms tightly around his neck. "Every day we were together I'm torn between kissing you and hitting you in the head. I'm going to miss that. I love you, Park and I wish this moment you're in my arms can last but it can't."

 

Chanyeol grabs onto Baekhyun tightly, afraid he'll disappear in a blink. What happens to best friends forever?  "You don't have to go," he whispers fiercely.

 

"Oh, but I have to. We can't see each other. If I stay, I'll never stop loving you and that won't do. I also want a happy ending, Chanyeol." Baekhyun pulls back and cups the side of Chanyeol's face. "Who knows? Maybe someone out there will want me, too."

 

I want you.

 

But there's Kyungsoo, his soul mate, the one he's supposed to love. They're getting married.

 

"They'll be ing idiots not to," he answers, at a loss of what to more to say.

 

"This is why we're best friends," Baekhyun says as he beams up  at Chanyeol. "I won't be able to come to the," his voice falters a little, "wedding, I hope you understand. So I want to give you this."

 

The guy steps back and Chanyeol reluctantly lets him go. Baekhyun takes something out of his pocket and then he's putting it on the lapel of Chanyeol's tuxedo jacket, on the place nearest his heart. When he finishes,  Baekhyun pats the spot then he gazes up at Chanyeol quite smugly. "It looks perfect."

 

Chanyeol looks down to see a diamond encrusted pin in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. He glances back at the man before him, and stares mesmerized at Baekhyun's shining eyes and toothy grin. "Yes, perfect."

 

Baekhyun surprises him when he pulls him by his jacket and he kisses the corner of his mouth. Chanyeol closes his eyes and savors the feeling of being this near Baekhyun once more.

 

"Happy Birthday, pwincess,"  Baekhyun whispers in a shaky breath.

 

When Chanyeol opens his eyes, its the last of midnight and Baekhyun's gone again, taking all of the magic with him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol's been awake since dawn, looking down the balcony of his room, watching as people hurriedly pass by carrying loads of linen and flowers and all sorts of stuff from the house to the gardens where the reception will be held. He sees their harassed-looking butler get red-faced when an errand boy bumps into him and drops a vase of hydrangeas. Chanyeol bites back a laugh because the old man has always been a kind soul and the boy gets off with just a glare and instructions to go to the kitchens, get a cookie from Mrs. Cho and stay there.

 

The butler has been in their family's employ since CEO Park was a kid, starting out as an errand boy himself before being promoted to the highest position in the house. Chanyeol's father has offered to make him his assistant—actually, he was offered any position he wanted but the man preferred to stay in the country estate where he can stay close to his beloved wife's final resting place. He refuses to stop working as the butler even if he doesn't really need the job anymore.

 

He had tried to be quiet in his spot nonetheless, the small man senses Chanyeol's presence and he looks up to greet his young employer. He smiles and waves before he continues on his way. Chanyeol's grip on the balustrade tightens because Mr. Byun looked so much like his son.

 

His best friend won't be there today and Chanyeol feels lonely all over again.

 

He hears someone knock on the door and he steps back from the balcony with a sigh. It seems all he does is sigh these days. He pads across the lush carpet and opens the door, expecting to find a servant (or worse his mother) on the other side. Chanyeol gets surprised when he sees Kyungsoo, who was supposed to stay in the other wing of the mansion, with his face the only thing visible under the blanket haphazardly wrapped over his head. He's looking carefully from side to side, and curious, Chanyeol sticks his head out of his room and does the same. Finding nothing amiss, he returns his gaze at his fiance.

 

"Is there something wrong?"

 

"I, um, I need to breathe?" Kyungsoo answers a little desperately.

 

Chanyeol nods, completely understanding what the other man is saying. He manages to lead him outside without running into anyone, into the corridors he and Baekhyun used to go through to escape from the house when they were younger. They reach the maze with no delay and Kyungsoo laughs while he tries to catch his breath.

 

The taller man grins at his fiance and he gestures for Kyungsoo to follow as he traces the path towards the center of the maze. It doesn't take them long to find it and they both slump down on the fountain ledge, a bit tired from their short run. The sun has barely risen and the air is freakishly cold. Chanyeol shivers in his pajamas, forgetting to grab something to cover himself with. Seeing him, Kyungsoo offers to share his blanket. He gratefully accepts and so they sit there, huddled together, sharing a companionable silence.

 

It's calm, Chanyeol thinks, and it's always like this with Kyungsoo. No accelerated heartbeats, no shortness of breath. There are no currents of electricity skittering across his skin when they touch. It's not like he's looking for all those things, though. This peace is kind of welcome, too.

 

And  Chanyeol realizes, it's actually the first time they've been completely alone since their engagement ball. The past week had been filled with business meetings and wedding preparations. He knows why Kyungsoo pleaded to get away for a second.

 

"Say Kyungsoo, I've been meaning to ask," Chanyeol says, starting conversation to pass the time and relaxing against the stone ledge, "what were you doing here in the maze that night of my masquerade ball?"

 

"Ah, that night," Kyungsoo answers, "I'm not really used to going to parties as big as that. I was just a plus one of my superior who was invited. I spend my days inside the lab, hunched over my notes and practically the only lasting relationship I have is with my microscope. So, to me, well, the crowd was quite overwhelming?" He chuckles. "I wanted to get away for a while so I walked outside and somehow I found myself here."

 

"Oh."

 

"What?" Kyungsoo elbows him lightly. "Disappointed that I wasn't magically transported from some mystical place to appear at the exact time you got here?"

 

"Am not," Chanyeol mumbles, although Kyungsoo did touch on some truth. "But that night... did you feel anything? Like, you know, a sort of excitement? Like something life changing is about to happen?"

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head, a little contrite. "Sorry, Chanyeol, I don't remember feeling any of that. It was just any other night."

 

Disappointment slowly lodges itself in Chanyeol's chest. He closes his eyes and he recalls that moment everything inside of him had shouted that the angel in front of him was the one. But the clamoring seems to have died down. He was going to spend his life with Do Kyungsoo, his soulmate, shouldn't his soul at least celebrate?

 

"I'm glad you found my necklace. I was really sad when I lost it. I thought I was never going to get a chance to wear it, you see. I've always been shy around people but when my boss invited me to the ball, saying I need to get out more, I thought it was the perfect time," the young doctor explains. "It was extravagant for me, attending a masquerade ball and wearing an angel costume to boot."

 

The taller man laughs. "You were very beautiful, though." So beautiful, Chanyeol fell in love almost instantly.

 

"Thank you! I'm happy you think so. At least something good came out of me lugging those wings all night." Kyungsoo touches his shoulder. "They really killed both my shoulders."

 

Wait. "All night?" Chanyeol asks, brows knitted. "Two?"

 

"Yes! Have you ever seen an angel with only just one?" Kyungsoo giggles. "You don't have any idea how heavy those wings were. And it was so difficult to take them off that I had to wear them all the way home. I really felt self-conscious..."

 

But Chanyeol doesn't hear the rest of what the other male was saying because the angel... his angel only had one wing. He remembers it clearly, the broken wing in his soul mate's hand as he looked up at the evening sky. He turns his head to stare at Kyungsoo. Did  Baekhyun get it wrong? Was Kyungsoo not the guy he saw in the maze? Is that why he doesn't feel anything at all even if he's right next to him?

 

"Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo's looking curiously at him.

 

But he owns the necklace.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

Could it be that Kyungsoo and the angel were two different people?

 

"I—" Chanyeol starts to say, standing up, mind filled with doubt and confusion. "I fell in love, hard and fast when I saw an angel standing right there," he points at the spot where his soul mate had stood, "and the image was so deeply engraved in my memory, I can describe how beautiful he was in a hundred million ways. Kyungsoo, his right wing was broken... and he still managed to fly away from me. I'm sorry but—"

 

"The wedding's off," Kyungsoo finishes for him. The shorter guy draws his blanket tighter around him. "I got it the moment you looked at me in horror a few seconds ago." He looks away. "I knew it was too good to be true. A prince choosing a nobody like me? That only happens in fairy tales."

 

Chanyeol opens his mouth to explain that he didn't mean for this to happen. Kyungsoo was one of the best people he has met but he can't marry him. But all he can manage was another lame, "I'm sorry."

 

"Don't be, Park Chanyeol. It was awesome while it lasted. I get to feel what it was like to have someone like you care for someone like me. Too bad I had sturdy wings," he jokes.

 

"Are you really okay with this?" Chanyeol asks, puzzled at the way Kyungsoo is taking this so well. "Don't you want to punch me or something?"

 

"Of course not," his now ex-fiance denies with a firm shake of his head. "After all, I think I've been unconsciously expecting this to happen."

 

"Why?"

 

Kyungsoo shrugs. "We never even kissed."

 

Chanyeol's taken aback because the other man's right. He should've recognized that as a sign that he was marrying the wrong person. He hadn't felt the urge to kiss Kyungsoo unlike what he felt with Baekhyun...

 

Byun Baekhyun, you're dead.

 

This is all Baekhyun's fault. He planted those ridiculous ideas of soul mates and love in his head, lied to him, made Chanyeol want to kiss him again and again, and then left him with the wrong guy. His best friend royally screwed up and Chanyeol has to see him immediately. Right this instant. So he can give him a piece of his mind. He has to talk to Baekhyun because he's not getting married today and he doesn't know why he wants to laugh and run like a lunatic with that thought.

 

He wants to see Baekhyun.

 

He needs to see Baekhyun.

 

And there's no time to waste.

 

"I have to go," Chanyeol tells Kyungsoo, heart filled with a sense of urgency "I have to go talk to someone."

 

"Okay," the young doctor answers simply.

 

"Thank you."

 

"One last thing." Kyungsoo pulls Chanyeol into a quick hug and a peck on the cheek. "There. Now go."

 

Chanyeol retreats, hands gesturing wildly, hoping Kyungsoo really understands why he has to go. "Yeah, I'll go now... the guests though... I need to... oh, god the ceremony—"

 

Kyungsoo laughs and Chanyeol's relieved to see that heart-shaped smile he has grown fond of. "Hurry up and go! I'll tell Mrs. Park about... the wedding. I think she likes me enough not to get angry. But! If she blows up at you, it's not on me, okay?"

 

"Okay!" Chanyeol says and then he's running for all he was worth. "Car keys, car keys," he chants on the way to his room. "And a shirt and pants and , where did I put my car keys?"

 

His hands are shaking. Why is he even this excited over the thought of scolding Baekhyun?

 

In no time, Chanyeol has changed into decent clothes, unmindful that his reddish hair is sticking up at the sides and half his shirt buttons are undone. He finally gets a hold of the damn, stupid car keys and he heads to the stairs hoping to bump into no one. But of course, such is the luck of anyone in a hurry, that the moment he reaches the stairwell he meets face to face with the person he least wanted to see.

 

"Well, hello there cousin," Jongin gives him a lazy once over, noting his rumpled state. "You're looking extraordinarily dashing today."

 

Chanyeol ignores him and moves to get past the obnoxious guy but Jongin stubbornly blocks his way.

 

"Oh, of course. Today's the wedding! Every groom would look their best. Must be the blush of true love."

 

"I don't have time for this," Chanyeol says with gritted teeth, beyond annoyed.

 

"What's the rush, Chanyeol?" Jongin asks with a raised brow.

 

"None of your business. So get out of my way or I swear to god—"

 

"But it's your birthday today, too. You get a present from me," his cousin says and something in his tone makes Chanyeol stop to listen. "I'm giving up on Baekhyun."

 

The taller man's gaze sharpens.

 

"I admit, I kind of kidnapped him in the pretense of an overseas business convention, hoping that I can lure him completely away from you." Jongin quickly holds his hands up. "But before you beat me up like I see you so badly want to do, Baekhyun did say yes and chose to stay when we got there, even if there wasn't one. He looked like he really needed to get away."

 

Chanyeol's arms fall to his side. His heart aches at the thought of Baekhyun leaning onto Jongin because he can't even run to his own best friend.

 

"He was weak and I took advantage. Not in that way, you big idiot," Jongin says when he sees Chanyeol glaring again. "I told him all the things he can get if he chooses me. I promised him everything he has with you multiplied twofold. But he still said no."

 

"I'm smart enough to know when I lost," Jongin continues. "A pity, though. Those days we were together... I kinda get it why you didn't want to lose him. I feel the same way you do."

 

Chanyeol thinks his heart stopped at what the younger guys said.  "You're in love with Baekhyun?"

 

Jongin looks strangely at him. "I didn't say I was in love with Baekhyun. Chanyeol, I'm talking business here. I said we probably feel the same—" he pauses and then his lips spread slowly into a smirk. "Do you love him?"

 

"He's my best friend," Chanyeol replies automatically.

 

His cousin rolls his eyes while he stands there, paralyzed by Jongin's question. Do you love him?

 

He wants Baekhyun beside him, that's for sure. He wants to wake up to his nagging and his sadistically cheerful laughter every morning. He wants to be able to go to him whenever he feels like it, eat ice cream at his place and fall asleep shoulder to shoulder on the floor with their feet propped up on the couch seat. He wants to be disturbed from sleep by Baekhyun's soft whines and snores at some hour past midnight, so he can tuck him against his chest and make him shut up.

 

And he admits, he still wants to kiss hìm. Soul mate or not, he wants to kiss Baekhyun until... until they get old and pruny and colicky. He wants to look at him one day, a few decades from now, and they're still best friends but he'll be calling him, "Mine."

 

That last bit hits him squarely in the chest and he looks at Jongin, eyes round in sudden realization that so far, in this woefully twisted story of his, he has been nothing but a giant dumb . 

 

"Ah, yes, I see it," his cousin comments. "The lightbulb moment."

 

", I have to go."

 

"Yup and you might want to hurry because Baekhyun just told me he's moving out of his apartment today," Jongin says almost as an afterthought.

 

Chanyeol curses and he rushes down the stairs, then out to his car, blatantly ignoring all the people calling for him to comeback.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Considering he's been on the road for an hour, Chanyeol supposes (sincerely wishes) his mother isn't all that mad because it's just now that he sees his phone blink from the passenger seat. He reluctantly picks it up and puts the headset on, bracing himself for what's about to come.

 

"Mother."

 

"KYUNGSOO JUST TOLD ME YOU'RE CALLING OFF THE WEDDING."

 

"I am."

 

"WHY DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL TODAY TO DO IT?!"

 

"Something came up and—"

 

"AND WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

 

"To Baekhyun."

 

Chanyeol didn't count on the sudden silence from the other line. He's about to assume his mother already hang up but then she clears and speaks.

 

"You should've done that sooner. You would have saved us all the trouble, you silly child."

 

What?

 

"Okay, drive safely dear. And say hi to Baekhyun for me."

The call ends.

 

That's it? That's all he gets?

 

Chanyeol laughs in disbelief. Even his mother knew.

 

"Then why in heaven's name didn't any of you tell me?" he asks aloud. Was he the only one stupid enough not to know?

 

That he has always been and always will be in love with Byun Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol didn't mean to run over the garbage can and leave it for dead on the pavement but you see, a mover's truck just passed him by and on reflex, his foot hit the gas so he can quickly get to Baekhyun's apartment to check if his best friend's really gone.

 

He's not even certain if he locked his car or not but he at least have the keys in his pockets. Chanyeol positively wears out the elevator buttons with the number of times he pushes the one for their floor, another casualty in his bid to get to Byun Baekhyun.

 

Yet, somehow he stutters to a halt right outside the his assistant's door. He stares troubled at the sleek wooden surface. How is he even going to do this? There's a doorbell, should he use it? He has never once done so for he has always known the combination to Baekhyun's lock pad: 000614. Their jersey numbers back in highschool.

 

He gets the urge to hit his head on the hard door because, , it's obvious. Baekhyun loved him all these years, his best friend had said. Chanyeol's sorry because he never really looked.

 

He can't just barge inside, he reasons after some time. Also, he's afraid to find it empty so he touches the doorbell button and waits. The tinkling sound seems so loud in the corridor but its not enough to drown out the heavy thumping of his heart. Be here.

 

The bell ends but there's no response and Chanyeol's heart leaps to his throat before it falls down to flop helplessly on the floor. No! his mind screams while he hits the button again. And again.

 

He's about to punch the wall (or maybe cry) when the lock pad lights up and he hears that awfully nasally voice he loved.

 

"Chanyeol?"

 

The door opens and Baekhyun's there with a stripe of dirt across his nose, pretty hands covered in pink gloves, and holding a rag. He totally intended to  confess and say all his apologies and perhaps kneel so Baekhyun can forgive him and he really was about to but he finds he can't wait until they're old and pruny because it's been so long, so long since he has seen him and held him close. So he gathers him into his arms, dust and all, and kisses him.

 

He kisses him deeply, thoroughly, endlessly and when he tastes his name on Baekhyun's lips, he does it all over again.

 

They pull back an inch, dragging much needed air into their lungs. Chanyeol rests his forehead against his best friend's, light filling his chest to bursting. His soul is anything but calm—it's alive, it's jumping, it's honestly freaking out because with that kiss he just threw away all that stuff about soul mates and that troublesome reaction to exposed necks. Chanyeol doesn't care if Baekhyun isn't his one-winged angel. Because he is the man he loves and he doesn't want anybody else.

 

Now all he has to do is convince the shorter man who's looking quite incredulously at him that they have to be together. Or Chanyeol will die. Kinda.

 

"What are you doing here, Park?"

 

He tries to answer that properly but how can he even think straight when Baekhyun's in his embrace? And so the perfectly logical explanation in his head comes out like this, "I don't care if the shoe doesn't fit and if you're not a princess. There's no rule that the prince can't fall for the footman, right?"

 

Baekhyun frowns. "Are you calling me a footman?"

 

"Baekhyun," he leans down and gets himself another kiss. "I'm in love with you."

 

"What?!" the shorter guy's eyes widens in shock. "But you can't! What about Do Kyungsoo? Your parents?!" Then his eyes widen even more. "Oh my god, today's your wedding—"

 

Chanyeol captures his bottom lip in a playful bite which effectively shushes him. For all of two seconds.

 

"Your mother will kill me!"

 

"No, she won't. Baek—"

 

But Baekhyun cuts him off. "She'll disown you, oh God."

 

"Only if you marry me," Chanyeol teases but his hold tightens because he wants to. He wants to spend all of his lifetimes with Baekhyun.

 

"I hate you, why are you doing this to me?" Baekhyun's head drops on Chanyeol's shoulder.

 

"Because I love you, weren't you listening?" He nuzzles his cheek.

 

"You're not thinking straight!"

 

Chanyeol sighs. "Wrong answer,  Baek."

 

"You're going to regret this. I already regret letting you in," Baekhyun cries miserably, voice muffled against Chanyeol's shirt.

 

"Wrong answer, try again," he says.

 

"I'm not your soul mate."

 

Chanyeol draws back and cups Baekhyun's face, throat constricting at the sight of the tears clinging stubbornly onto his lashes. "I don't care. Answer the damned question, Baekhyun."

 

Then the younger man sees it, the way Baekhyun's expression softens into surrender and Chanyeol's vision blurs a bit but he won't ever admit he's crying.

 

"Idiot, you haven't even asked me anything."

 

Oh, yeah. He didn't. He's really glad he's in love with someone smart. "Byun Baekhyun, I know I've been so stupid but will you marry me?"

 

"Okay."

 

"Really? Okay?"

 

Baekhyun grins. "Yeah, only because you're handsome. And tall."

 

Chanyeol envelopes his best friend, his fiance, into a hug and squeezes tight. "I can live with that. Now be a good boy and say it."

 

"Say what?"

 

"How much you love me."

 

 Baekhyun pulls on Chanyeol's hair. "I'll think about it."

 

"Okay." Then he surprises Baekhyun when he lifts the smaller man over his shoulder, laughing out loud when he hears his best friend squeak. "Let's go to bed."

 

"What?!"

 

Chanyeol makes his way to Baekhyun's bedroom, amidst Baekhyun's repeated, "Put me down!"

 

The younger guy does put him down on his bed before jumping on him right after. "Won't stop until you say it," he says into Baekhyun's ear. "Say it, Baek."

 

Chanyeol presses the words into his soft skin, over and over, and all Baekhyun can do is gasp out Chanyeol's name. The taller man's lips grazes his hips, his smooth stomach. Chanyeol's mouth leave scorching marks as he memorizes his lover's body.

 

"Say it," he whispers as he moves hotly inside, making Baekhyun wrap his legs around Chanyeol's narrow waist, clutching the man tighter against him. "Come on, Baek."

 

At last, Baekhyun places his palm against Chanyeol's flushed cheek but he says something that catches the younger completely off guard. "I'm sorry for everything I've done." He leans up to kiss him. "And thank you for thinking I still deserve to be with you."

 

Baekhyun cants his hips up, taking Chanyeol all the way in, entrusting himself and everything he's got to him. "I love you, Park."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol lets out a big yawn as he stretches his long limbs across Baekhyun's queen size bed. He's pretty sure he had a wonderful dream last night even though he can't quite recall what it was about. Why else can't he stop smiling this morning?

 

Or was it just because of Baekhyun? He always hates getting up early but he thinks waking to the sound of  his lover singing his lungs out in the shower isn't so bad.

 

The older male's in the kitchen, working up a racket while attempting to make breakfast from scratch. He had finished packing yesterday for his move to another city but contrary to what Jongin said; it wasn't until two days that he'll completely move out. Trust his cousin to stir trouble for him, Chanyeol thinks, annoyed.

 

The bed's comfortable but this is their first morning as a couple, Chanyeol can't possibly pass it up. He sits up, realizes he's buck , and a very goofy smile spreads across his face when he remembers why. They've spent the rest of yesterday fooling around and falling more in love. Chanyeol's hoping to get a repeat of that soon. Like after breakfast.

 

But he won't get anywhere if he doesn't haul his off the bed, so he stands to search for something to wear, finding nothing when he looks around the room for his clothes. His ever efficient Baekhyun probably put it in the laundry so he pads to the other guy's closet to borrow a pair of pants or something. He ducks down and browses through Baekhyun's pants and he's not surprised that they're all short but at least he finds one loose enough to fit.

 

Unfortunately, he hits his head against the top shelf, forgetting to duck before stepping back. He bows and rubs the top of his head, brows knitting when he sees small white things floating about in the air. Curious, Chanyeol knocks on the top shelf and more of those white things fall. He picks up one of them and on closer inspection, "Feathers?"

 

He reaches up and pulls the white thing sticking up from the shelf and when he's got them, his jaw drops.

 

It's a pair of wings.

 

And one of them is broken.

 

"Hey, food's ready! Uh, why are you still ?"

 

Chanyeol turns to see Baekhyun standing by the doorway. He watches as the other man's mouth opens in surprise when he sees what Chanyeol is holding. The sunlight spilling from the bedroom windows is bright and it brings Baekhyun's features into sharp focus. Chanyeol believes his soul mate doesn't need the moonlight to look beautiful.

 

"You know, I saw a Mouse Mickey on the guest list once," he says offhandedly, unmindful of his .

 

Baekhyun smiles sheepishly and slowly backs away from the door. "It was your mother's idea, okay? She knows you wouldn't survive without me."

 

"True," Chanyeol answers, beginning to stalk Baekhyun, step for step. "But didn't you know the trouble you put me through and—"

 

But he stops 'cause it's true. Baekhyun still doesn't know he was the angel he was referring to that night. His fiance still believes Kyungsoo is his soulmate. Chanyeol suddenly laughs out loud. "Unbelievable."

 

"What is?"

 

"Nothing," Chanyeol replies with a mischievous grin. "I'm giving you a three-second advantage. I suggest you take it because once I get a hold of you, you're done for."

 

Baekhyun has run off even before he finishes his threat. He chuckles as he replaces the wings on the closet but he sobers up with the memory of Baekhyun during his engagement ball.

 

"... Even if it's impossible, I want you to run after me."

 

He will, Chanyeol promises. To the ends of the earth if need be.

 







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
an: HA I KNOW ITS BEEN MORE THAN TWO MONTHS IM SORRY TAT
- i've really struggled writing this because i'm just so busy most of the time
and i somehow only get inspiration at 6am... just about the time I need to get up to go to work XD
- I apologize if you expected a lot more than what I was able to come up with ;A;
- Will be finishing a couple of fics (i hope) by december so.. idek why im saying this lol
- THANKS FOR EVERYONE WHO UPVOTED, COMMENTED, AND CRIED WITH ME THROUGH THIS FIC.
- there is a short extra to this fic but i'm not sure if I should put it up... it's the another happy ending that a certain character deserves. Upvote if you want it lol
- AND I OWE MY LIFE TO MADAME NICANOR and my bebs STEPH for always always ALWAYS being there to listen to me whine and cry and cry some more over my fics. I LOVE YOU BOTH.
- and to REBECCA-SENPAI, I give you my left root, please do unto it what you will ;; <3