Descriptions

pcyans fanfiction rants

DESCRIPTIONS

 

 

THE DESCRIPTION, in books, would usually be placed at the back of a book (a blurb), showing off an idea of what the story would be like. It determines if readers would still want to go on with the story, because of how interesting it shows.

This should be well-written, so that readers would know whether you'd be a fair writer or not. This shows the initial impression of your writing style, whether  they'd want to keep up with  this kindof  writing style, or they  think that it's annoying to go through the story with this kind of writing style. Another tip you could take note of is that it should be well understood. I've done reviews before, and I usually would put in their notes that it's nice (and better, if you don't have wide vocabulary) to be simple but well understood. Who would want a flowery description that can't be understood? But then, don't force yourself to make it sound really really professional. For example, here's a blurb from Haruki Murakami's "Sputnik Sweetheart":

A college student, identified only as "K", falls in love with his classmate, Sumire. But devotion to an untidy writerly life precludes her from any personal commitments--until she meets Miu, an older and much more sophisticated businesswoman. When Sumire disappears from an island off the coast of Greece, "K" is solicited to join the search party and finds himself drawn back into her world and beset by ominous, haunting visions. A love story combined with a detective story, Sputnik Sweetheart ultimately lingers in the mind as a profound meditation on human longing.

Sounds professional, right? But then I'd ask myself: would I thought of the word ominous? The phrase ultimately lingers in the mind? If I try to match up with Murakami's writing style, I think I might just end up writing something stupid and I might not be able to understand my own description, either. So basically my point is: stick with your own vocabulary and make it well written and well understood... and don't give spoilers of course.

We'll talk more about Writing Styles soon.

pcyans' pet peeve #3: character profiles. I'm the type of person who would want to discover the personalities of the characters in the story itself, and sometimes character profiles give spoilers.

Pretty much this is all I can say about descriptions. I'm going to talk about forewords in the next chapter.