Final.

La Douleur Exquise

Sehun wakes up to the buzzing of his phone, he thrashes in his bed searching for the electronic device. He answers the call, "Yeah?" The voice on the other side sends his eyes fluttering open as it rings in his eardrums, possibly damaging them too.

Sehun mopes, "It's still early, can't Baek do it? He's better anyway." He hops off his bed and starts walking towards the bathroom before agreeing, "Okay, okay. I'll be there," hanging up and placing the phone on his cabinet. Sehun starts his daily routine on a not so normal day. Today is different, today is special. Today should not happen.

Sehun undresses himself and walks into the shower, turning on the water. The cold liquid runs down his pale skin, he flinches now and then as he gets accustomed to the cold water. He is still wishing that today would not exist. He regrets waking up, he regrets answering the phone call but most of all, he regrets agreeing to help.

He gets out of the shower and takes the towel from the towel rack, drying himself. Sehun walks to his closet and his fingers run through the array line of his dress suits. Nothing seems to catch his attention, he exhales a sigh and thought, For Jongin, as he picks a black button-down shirt alongside a pair of black khakis. He slides in the outfit and pulls his drawer, taking a white tie and ties it around his neck. Sehun sprays the perfume he got from Jongin for his birthday and wears a white blazer to complete his look yet he feels as though he lacks something.

Sehun looks at himself through the mirror, he forces a smile on his lips. Nothing. He still feels incomplete, lacking or maybe, empty. He shakes his head as he drags himself towards the door and his phone rings again, he picks it up, "I'm on way, could you wait a sec?"

Sehun blinks as the voice is not who he expected it to be, he replies, "Scented candles? Oh, okay. I'll remember to get them, Kyungsoo hyung," and hangs up.

Being Jongin's best man was definitely something he didn't want to do and the day he wished wouldn't come has finally arrived. What could he do? Saying no was really hard when it involved Jongin and the pursing of his lips into a pout. They did say, love makes you do crazy things and this was probably the craziest. Sehun puts the key in its ignition and starts the car, he says, "I hope I'd get into an accident."

- - - - - -

Sehun arrives safely at the wedding hall, he puts the plastic bag he has been holding on a table and says, "I got the scented candles."

Baekhyun walks over to him, "It took you long enough," as he takes the bag and disappears into another room.

Luhan looks at Sehun, he bites his lower lip as he makes his way to the latter's side. He asks, "Are you okay?" The question sends Sehun in a protection mode, he looks at the elder then towards the door as it creaks, revealing both Kyungsoo and Jongin.

Sehun remains his stoic face as Jongin says, "You made it. I was afraid you'd sleep yourself away."

Sehun stifles a laughter, "I wouldn't miss it for the world." Luhan hears the amount of pain hidden in between the words of the younger.

He asks, "Why aren't you guys dressed yet?"

Kyungsoo looks at Sehun then at Luhan, "It's too early. We wouldn't want the clothes to get wrinkled."

For some odd reason, Sehun feels nauseous, sick. He clears his throat and excuses himself, "I need some fresh air," as he walks away from the scene. Little did he know Jongin is also tagging along behind him.

Sehun pulls out his cigarette pack and takes one out. As he is about to light it up, Jongin says, "I thought you said you quitted smoking."

Sehun flinches and out of reflex, he throws the cigarette to the floor. He cusses under his breath and says, "Geez Jongin, you scared the out of me."

Jongin shrugs his shoulders and repeats, "I thought you said you quitted smoking," as he looks at Sehun, expecting a reply. Nothing. After another round of silence, he clears his throat, "Is something bothering you?"

Sehun looks at him with a raised brow, confusion written all over his face by the question Jongin had just asked.

Jongin continues, "Oh, come on. You don't go "I need some fresh air" and smoke, Sehun-ah."

Sehun feels his spine tingling as his name rolls down Jongin's tongue, he shakes his head, "I'm fine, Jongin. Aren't you supposed to get ready or something? You wouldn't want to keep Kyungsoo waiting, would you?" He tries hard not to make it sound as a snide remark but Jongin seems far too oblivious to sense it.

Jongin looks at him and nods, "I'll see you inside?"

Sehun nods his head and flashes a small smile, a smile he wishes Jongin could see through. His eyes that plays a story he hopes Jogin could see but he knows well enough that Jongin is blinded by Kyungsoo to be concerned of his pain.

He looks at the latter's disappearing back and his shoulders drop as he exhales a low sigh. Chanyeol says, "He's dumb but you're dumber."

Sehun glares at the tall giant standing next to him, he snarls, "Don't play with fire, Park Chanyeol."

The elder smirks, "Already did." Sehun rolls his eyes, Chanyeol continues, "Why didn't you tell him your feelings? For all you know you could be the one in Kyungsoo's place instead."

Sehun pulls out another cigarette from his cigarette pack and lights it up for real this time. He exhales the smoke and it disippates into the thin air. Sehun says, "I did, almost, but he was a second faster." He inhales the deadly yet intoxicating gas into his lungs. He remembers that exact night perfectly like it happened yesterday. The memory is fresh at the back of his mind, he closes his eyes as it plays back like a silent movie in his mind.

It was a night in September, one of the nights where the wind was cold enough to make you shiver. Sehun waited for Jongin at Han River as he promised him to, Jongin said he had a surprise for Sehun and Sehun already knew what he meant and it really wasn't a good surprise for him yet he came.

He looked at the silver watch wrapped around his wrist as the hour hand striked nine. Sehun mumbled incoherent words as he hugged himself, trying to keep himself warm but to no avail. The wind blew continuously and he shuddered occasionally.

Jongin finally arrived with a wide grin plastered on his lips. A grin wide enough that you might think a slice of watermelon could fit in. "You wouldn't believe what I'm about to tell you, Sehun-ah," he said.

Sehun chuckled as he looked at him, "Really? Try me."

Jongin's grin grew wider and it started to creeped Sehun out, literally. It seemed inhumane as to how wide his grin was getting. Jongin continued, "Kyungsoo said yes."

Sehun blinked his eyes, he knew what Jongin meant and he knew where this conversation was going yet he asked, "To what? Tutoring?"

Jongin laughed at the latter as he shook his head, "No, Sehun-ah. Don't you get it? He said yes to me. I asked him out and he said yes to me."

Sehun swallowed the lump in his throat. Nonetheless, he managed to spit out, "Oh, that's great. I mean... Congratulations."

Jongin flashed a smile, the shade of pink on his cheeks were visible even underneath the little ray of moonlight. He asked, "What was your surprise for me, Sehun-ah?"

Sehun shook his head and chuckled, "Nothing, I was just playing with you."

Sehun throws the cigarette away as Joonmyun calls, "Chanyeol-ah! Sehun-ah! Get in here." The both of them has their heads turn and walk back inside the hall.

Chanyeol reminds, "Better get rid of that scent before he smells it."

Sehun shrugs his shoulders, he honestly didn't care if Jongin or anyone else smelled it. After all, he would never be the center of attention for that day. It's a special day and he is just Oh Sehun, the best man.

Everyone is seated and Sehun takes his place by Jongin's side. Jongin looks at him and says, "You reek of cigarette smoke."

Sehun retorts, "Thank you, it's a new cologne. Do you like it?" He honestly didn't care anymore. If Jongin is too oblivious, he hopes that someone else could hear his screams of heartbreak. His sadness of seeing his loved one marrying someone else. His anger towards himself for being a real ing coward. He wishes that someone would understand la douleur exquise.

Kyungsoo looks at the both of them who seems tense all of a sudden, he asks, "Is everything alright?"

Sehun flashes one of his famous smirk, "Wonderful, simply wonderful. Why don't you say your vows and leave me alone? I didn't even want to be here in the first place. Why did you have to pick me as your best man in the first place?"

Jongin blinks his eyes, he says, "Sehun-ah... What's wrong with you?"

"You, Jongin, you. I'm like this because of you, because you're too oblivious. Too blinded by Kyungsoo to see that I always loved you before he did. You don't know how much I tell myself everyday to forget you and whenever I feel like I manage to get over you, you just come around me with that dumb smile of yours and I fall in love with you all over again but you don't see it. You don't know what it's like to love someone you can't have and you obviously don't know what I feel for you because I'm the one who is in love with the wrong person and not you but you don't know," is what Sehun wishes he could say but instead he keeps quiet as he stands still. Jongin looks at his best friend worriedly before he nods his head for the preacher to continue.

The preacher clears his throat, "Those present in this room who thinks that this pair should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Chanyeol looks at Sehun and so did Luhan, the latter looks like he could cry right there and then and Jongin would still be oblivious why. He could be breaking into pieces and Jongin would never know why. He could be ruining the reception by his disagreement and Jongin would still be Jongin and never understand why. Baekhyun whispers to Chanyeol, "Is Sehun okay? He doesn't look too good."

Chanyeol shakes his head, "No, and now, he will forever be in his sadness."

Baekhyun looks at him, replying, "I don't understand."

Chanyeol flashes a small smile as he says, "There is nothing to understand, you don't understand someone's sadness until you experience them and I hope you would never experience Sehun's sadness."

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol with utter confusion, he says, "I will never understand your judgement."

The preacher nods his head as he continues, "Well then, I pronounce you, Kim Jongin and you, Do Kyungsoo, married."

Sehun passes the ring to Jongin while Jongin slides it in Kyungsoo's finger and Joonmyun passes the ring to Kyungsoo while he slides it in Jongin's finger. As the wedding reception ends, Sehun sits nearby the bar, enjoying his nth glass of beer yet he is still sober. He hears people's chatter clearly and he is still aware of what is happening around him.

Luhan sees the younger and walks over to him. He looks at him and says, "You still didn't answer my question. Are you okay?"

Sehun smiles as he replies, "Lu, if happiness shouldn't make you so miserable then misery shouldn't make you so happy."

Luhan takes a seat next to the latter and replies, "I don't enjoy someone's misery, Sehun and I never will. Why are you still here? You're only adding salt to your wound and I'm pretty sure you know that better than anyone else."

He chuckles lightly before replying, "It's funny how the moments of joy are so short but the sadness is forever and I am bound to sadness," as he looks at Jongin giving a chaste kiss to Kyungsoo on his lips.