First Encounter

By Your Side

“Cheondung-ah, wake up! We are gonna be late for school.” Dara slightly shook her brother’s shoulders, which made him look up.

“Noona, it is so early. Another minute. Please noona.” Cheondung murmured from under the covers.

“Park Cheondung!” Dara’s voice slightly rose. Sensing her impatient tone, Cheondung lazily got himself out of bed while groaning.

“That is my free-Botox-cheeks-boy.” Dara patted her dongsaeng’s back as he pushed her out of his room.

-----------------------------------------

 

“LEE DONGHAE! GET YOUR OUT OFF YOUR BED! IT IS 7:30 ALREADY!” Donghwa shouted into his brother’s ears. Despite the loud voice, the latter just covered himself with his quilted blanket.

“Hyung…” 

The younger one groaned.

“Lee Donghae! Mom made blueberry pan cakes. I am gonna eat them if you don’t get up by now.” The 

word blueberry made Donghae to get back to his senses.

"BLUEBERRY? Where?"

Donghwa chuckled. Same old blueberry-obsessed Donghae.

“Get up now.” Donghwa said as he left the room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Unnie!” Jessica called out to Dara who was taking her books out of her locker for the first lesson.

“Ah! Sica-ah. I thought you had gone to your class.” Dara said as she took out her library book she had been borrowing since the previous week- BAKING THE BEST CAKES: BLUEBERRY EDITION.

“You use that book. Unnie, how did you get so girly all of a sudden?” Jessica looked at the book in disgust. She hated blueberries.

“Becoming a patisseur is my dream. You know that.” Dara said as she closed her locker shut, “I am planning to skip class today. Wanna join?”

“No thanks. After all, he is in the same class with me.” Jessica said as she sighed deeply. Dara instantly knew who was Jessica talking about- Siwon.

“Fine, I’ll go then.” She gave a small wave to her younger friend and went to her secret hideout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Trust me; I will fall asleep if I continue this class.” Donghae said to his best friends, Eunhyuk and Siwon.

"It isn’t that bad,” Siwon said.

“Of course you would say that, Mr. Smart. I am gonna skip class today.” Donghae rolled his eyes, “I can’t stand the boring lectures and the piercing gazes at the same time.”

“Come on, it is not our fault they like us. We will just have to stand it.” Eunhyuk said, giving a heart-warming smile to his fangirls looking at him.

“Anyway, I’ll get going. Bye.” Donghae left before the 2 could say another word.

==================================================================================

Dara arrived at the rooftop and she smiled in happiness as she inhaled in the fresh air that was blowing to her direction. She slowly paced to her normal seat, table and chair right beside the blooming flowers and evergreen the leaves. She slumped into her seat and opened her IPOD to play Westlife. She put on her earphones and closed her eyes, relaxing for a while. A few songs passed including Fool Again, The Rose and The Queen of My Heart.

On the other hand, Donghae was slowly walking up the stairs to the rooftop. His mind was wandering aimlessly, from how his teacher is really boring to how the Westlife fans are some kind of wackos (not to offend Westlife fans out there. I am a hardcore Westlife fan too, after ELF, Cassie and Aff(x)tion/Diamond).

Once he got to the top, he was surprised to see a girl with earphones with eyes shut leaning onto the rails of the balcony. Seems like the girl didn’t notice his presence, so he continued to walk towards her as he took a seat in front of her. Once he sat down, he studied her features; cappuccino brown eyes, silky brown hair and porcelain fair skin, he was doubtful about if he would see a girl this beautiful again.

Dara put off her headphones and was shocked to see a guy looking at her deeply and intensely. She waved her hands in front of Donghae’s eyes and that snapped him from his thoughts. Donghae broke into a playful smile. Hopefully he won’t notice Dara’s slightly pink cheeks, but he did and he found that really cute. He scratched the back of his neck shyly.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Donghae said.

“Just skipping class.” Her answer almost sounded like a question. "

How about you?”

“Same situation as you.” He smiled. Suddenly a wave of memories flushed into his brain.

“Wait a second, you have Math after this period, right?” Dara nodded.

“You are that guy from Mr. Park’s Math class right?” Dara exclaimed.

“We are classmates! Hi, I am Lee Donghae.” Donghae took his hand out of his pocket to shake hands.

“Dara. Sandara Park. Nice to meet you.” Dara shyly took her hand out to shake. Hands as smooth as porcelain, Donghae thought.

A book in blue caught Donghae’s attention. “You like blueberry?” Donghae asked.

Dara looked at the book and smiled. “Not blueberry only, all of the berries are my favorite.” Dara replied.

“You bake?”

“Being a patisseur is my dream.” Dara sighed romantically.

“Wow! Me too. But I can’t bake.” Donghae’s head fell slightly.

“That’s sad.” Dara looked into his stormy eyes, something she had not noticed before. The grey eyes that she could look in anticipation forever. Suddenly a bright idea lit up her mind.

“Hey, you know, my family opens a baking academy at my house. Do you wanna join?”

"Is it available for the underage?”

"Sure, even girls about 12 or 11 attend.” Donghae nodded.

“When do I get the details?”

“Well, follow me after school? Is that OK?” Dara asked.

“Sure, I am free. I have the study hall as a last period. You?"

Dara nodded. “Me too. I’ll meet you at the library.”

Suddenly an event came into Donghae’s mind. He had agreed to meet up the guys at the last period. But he shook that thought away. He would do anything to spend his time with this beautiful girl in front of him.

“Sure.” He lied, earning a smile from Dara. Suddenly the bell for the 4th period rang, and Dara stood up in a jolt.

“I can’t be late for this class. So I’ll see you at the library. Bye!” She grabbed her bag and gave a wave to Donghae, who was still mesmerized by her beauty.