First Letter

Like Real People Do

One hundred and seven books later, Taeyeon likes to think that she’s began to understand Tiffany.

-x- 

The library Taeyeon frequented at was one of five large, impeccable libraries on campus. Although the other four were arguably closer to her college dorm, Taeyeon found the St. Rose Library to be the calmest. The library itself was an old Cathedral, probably built hundreds of years ago and whilst the college had no use of it, due to generous funding over the years was gradually transformed. The insides remained largely the same, minus a few etchings and fine drawings that hung on the walls. The old stone floor had been replaced three times now, finally settling with some kind of marble. Chairs, desks and shelves were made from the finest, rich red mahogany. 

Today, Taeyeon had plans to finish her research paper for history. 

She did not even need to glance at the old borrowing cards at the very back of the book to find the familiar name and drawl she had gotten used to.

Tiffany Hwang. 

Despite the modern age with Student IDs acting as a bus pass, a meal pass and a library pass, St. Rose Library still stuck to the traditions of crumpled borrowing cards. 

Taeyeon thought to herself as she set down her final book of the semester. She sat in her usual spot on the stone windowsill overlooking the dreary weather outside, book open on her lap as she flipped to the last page again. Whoever this girl was, she definitely had spare time on her hands.

Tiffany Hwang.

Beth Porter. 

Emillie Seydoux. 

-x- 

Taeyeon frowned and returned to the front of the book. An autobiography of ia Woolf, one of the most prominent figures of the 20th century.

Tiffany was not Seohyun per se, who simply borrowed all the self-improvement books available and returned them all at once when she was done with them— this girl, she had no real preference over what kind of books she read. 

This Taeyeon quickly discovered over the months as the girl, Tiffany, seemed to pick books row by row. Taeyeon found this by coincidence as she ended up borrowing half a shelf of books for a biology paper, only to find that Tiffany had borrowed them two weeks earlier— and when Taeyeon went to investigate the shelves, found out that Tiffany had in fact, borrowed the whole row of books! Either she was incredibly inquisitive or just insane

That peculiar thing continued for the rest of the days Taeyeon borrowed any kind of book. Then, Taeyeon set out on a (useless) hopeful journey of finding a book Tiffany has not yet read— which after a week of pulling out books and placing them back in again, Taeyeon gave up on. 

Books on animals, religion, biology, psychology, theories, shakespeare, a collection of eighteenth century poems— she has read it all. Heck, Taeyeon even ventured to what the third-years jokingly called, ‘good-bud-when-the-connection-is-down’ section only to find Tiffany had read all those books too.

Absolutely insane. 

Taeyeon remember thinking to herself.

Taeyeon flipped through the book, skimming the lengthy paragraphs before letting out a long sigh. All this information she'd already known and found on online biography sites. The girl trudged to where she found the book and carefully placed it back. As much as Taeyeon wished to procrastinate, she had no time left. Ten or so empty books later, she found no real findings and instead, found herself reading Tiffany's name again. 

Just as she was on her way out, she bumped into the librarian, who set down a cardboard box. 

"Hello," the librarian, an undergrad greeted her with a sweet smile. "Can I help you with anything? You look as though you're a bit...Lost." The woman reluctantly let the last word slip from her lips as she followed Taeyeon's gaze to the box of books.

"Are those new?" Taeyeon asked, not noticing the edge of excitement in her own voice. 

"Why yes they are!" she beamed, "In fact, you will be glad to know that we've gotten more funds lately- all thanks to the work of the clubs and students here who help keep the library running. If you like, the new books can even be borrowed out today- is there anything you're searching for?" 

"Well, I'm writing a research paper on ia Woolf so maybe-"

"Lucky you! We have just received these today," the librarian selected three books from the small pile, "They are in fact, detailing Woolf's relationships with many people. They're the traces of the letters she'd sent and received from her peers and friends. Hopefully that will be of help to you."

"Yes, very, thank you." Taeyeon smiled appreciatively as the woman retreated back to sorting out the books. 

As she skimmed through the first two she found herself frowning. She had read the exact same thing a while ago. Not surprising. She decided in the end to only borrow one. The book detailing Woolf's relations with others via her letters. Taeyeon was not sure if it would be entirely useful but argued that it would be more amusing than tearing through a five page thesis. 

Before Taeyeon left with borrowed book in hand, she stopped and scribbled a note.

She carefully tucked the paper behind her two abandoned a Woolf books and headed out.

She didn't know why she did that.

All she knew was that it was silly.

Little did she predict something extremely absurd was about to happen, all because of one silly, pompous note.

Clearly you have a ton of time on your hands. Mind sending me a research paper if you've got one? Bet you get A's all the way. -T