Knowing Without Knowing

[Scenario:] Stare-Down Contest With a Stranger Ft. BTS' Ji Min

Song:

 

BTS - Boy In Luv

 

Stare-Down Contest With a Stranger

Knowing Without Knowing

 

I stomped my way out of the empty school building, annoyed, irritated and felt like crying due to the level of annoyance I had bottled up inside of me. I was happy that school was over, but the bad luck I had had throughout the school day really didn't leave any space for positive feelings.

It had started off with the morning lessons in class. A few students decided that it would be fun to pick on “the quiet girl,” so they had continuously thrown paper balls at my head when the teacher wasn't looking, made me stumble on my way out of the classroom and “quietly” spoke “nice” things about me. I had been ignoring that. What I couldn't ignore, was when one of the girls “accidentally stumbled” on her way to her seat in the cafeteria and “accidentally” poured all of her food over my clothes so I had to walk around and smell like Kimchi. When we had started to scream at each other like the Wicked Witches of the East and West, we got sent to the principal's office where we got detention for school which explained the empty state it was in at the moment.

And not only that, but due to my broken printer at home, I had sent the 20-papers work to my E-Mail so I could use the printer at the library. After spending my whole break on trying to make it work, it turned out that it didn't work after all, which resulted in an immediate F- grade for not turning it in. It was the first time I had got an F. Ever. Being a straight A's student, that had left me devastated.

The annoyance and anger mixed with impatience I had gained from all of these events, had built itself up so I was like a ticking bomb, ready to cry and burst at the smallest thing.

I firmly held on to the straps of my backpack and walked along the sidewalk. I just wanted to go home and sulk for as long as I needed. My parents wouldn't be home anyways.

While walking along the empty street with only a single car driving along the road from time to time, I fought the tears which threatened to appear and trickle down my cheeks. I couldn't let myself break down. Not as long as I was in public, at least.

I looked straight ahead. There wasn't many people around, so the silence around here at this moment was what I needed.

It was about 10 minutes into my walk, when I spotted a person walking with his bike by his side. A familiar person. Well, he wasn't familiar in a way where I knew him personally, cause in fact, we had never spoken a single word to each other whenever we crossed paths which was everyday. Instead, we would have a stare-down contest. When it started, I didn't know, but I did remember the first few stares and how I had ignored them the first few weeks. Eventually they became more annoying as it seemed like he added in a smirk or when he raised his eyebrows while looking at me. Only today, I didn't feel like staring at him as it would only add fuel to my already bad mood.

As he came nearer with his bike, I felt his heavy stare on me which had started from about 30 feet ahead. I clenched my teeth and looked down, swallowed the lump in my throat which I had done at least 5 times during the 15 minutes I had walked.

I unconsciously broke my own own promise about looking away as I felt myself become more annoyed the closer we got. If he glared at me like that and made me uncomfortable when there was such a huge distance between us, didn't I have the right to stare right back at him?

With the annoyed feeling inside of me increasing for every step we got closer, I kept taking deeper breaths to keep myself from confronting him. This had been happening for months now however, so shouldn't I just keep on ignoring him?

I was able to see his face properly the closer we got. His hair as black as charcoal was almost covered by the cap he was wearing. It was worn the opposite way of how it normally should be worn. He was also wearing a black oversized T-shirt with English writing on it which I couldn't be bothered to check out. With the smirk on his face with each approaching step, I couldn't help the disgusted look on my face. He looked like the type who would be a troublemaker. The type I despised. Those types of people were the reason why I couldn't have a single day of peace, simply because they got a twisted thrill out of bullying someone.

My eyebrows shot up in annoyance when we were a few feet apart, and I clenched my fists together at the arrogant expression his face displayed.

As we finally passed by each other, our shoulders bumped into each other as none of us wanted to move for one another. However, the push was way too strong since he didn't even budge, so not being prepared by the hard impact, my foot twist when I was pushed away, and fell backwards against the cold hard brick wall at the side.

Oops,” I heard him say as he continued his way without stopping to look back.

I let out a shocked huff at the unbelievable situation and grabbed the straps of my bag to prevent it from sliding off my shoulders due to the force. Frowning, I turned my body 90 degrees to the right so I could look at his back which moved farther and farther away with each step he took.

What the heck is your problem?!” I screeched in anger. He was someone whom I had been sharing a mutual hatred with for the past few months, so that didn't help me to control my emotions one bit.

I hadn't exactly planned on letting out my frustration on him, but this had really been the last straw.

I noticed how he slowly stopped and put his right hand inside of his pocket while the other remained on his bike.

My heart picked up it's pace due to the burning sensation I felt inside of me. I felt frustrated, and I found myself desperately trying to get air down my lungs as well as fighting the tears of anger.

He put the bike stand down with his foot before he calmly turned around and right enough – that arrogant expression was still there on his face.

His eyebrow shot up in question as the right corner of his lips pulled up into a smirk. He took a few steps closer while I remained where I stood, only a few inches away from the brick wall. I kept glaring at him.

Problem?” he repeated the key word and somewhat surprised me with the sound of his voice, simply because I never wondered about what his voice would sound like.

Are you telling me I have a problem?” he asked as if he couldn't comprehend it.

I crossed my arms as my eyes turned into slits. “You obviously have a problem when you push me into a wall without even apologizing, don't you think?” I let out through clenched teeth.

He threw his head backwards and laughed as if I had said the funniest thing in the world.

Look at you. Are you sure you aren't the one with issues?” he calmly asked and erased the smile from his face until his eyes were the only part twinkling in amusement.

He stepped closer and closer to me, as if he was daring me to step back. “Did it really anger you out to the point of shaking?” he mockingly asked and looked me up and down.

He was way too close for comfort, so I raised my hands to create some sort of barrier between us.

Issues?” I repeated. “Please. There's something called having a bad day, and you are not making it any better!” I said while tears welled up in my eyes. I tried my best to control my voice and keep it below the yelling point.

He only raised his eyebrows however. “You should see a therapist.”

I glared at him and secretly wished for a hole to appear on that pretty face of his.

Fine! Let's say I'm crazy then! But I suggest that you quit staring at me cause it's giving me the creeps,” I fired back with a more controlled voice than before.

He chuckled.

I should stop staring at you?” he repeated. “I think it goes more like you staring at me.” he informed as if I should get my facts straight.

It can't possibly be that you think I would ruin my eyes by looking at someone like you, is it?” I asked as if that was the silliest thing in the world – which It was at the moment.

Sorry sweetie, but I think your eyesight is ruined already. Do you really not see why everybody goes crazy over this?” he asked and pointed at himself.

I pretended to barf. “What a joke!” I exclaimed and threw him a disgusted look. The nerve.

I'm leaving.” I finally said with one last look at his shocked expression before I turned around and walked away.

You should really go see a therapist, crazy kid!” I heard him yell behind me.

At the word 'kid' I, automatically halted and furrowed my brows, closed my eyes and turned around on the spot.

Did you just call me a kid?” I calmly asked and stared at him. Being called a kid by a kid annoyed me to no end. I didn't like the small smirk of victory on his face, as if celebrating the fact that his words got to me.

Yeah, I did,” he said and crossed his arms. I walked up to him with a glare.

You're really testing my patience right now,” I warned. He snickered.

Why? You're certainly not a woman. After all...” he coughed and slowly let his eyes turn a bit downwards.

I wrinkled my forehead and didn't understand what he was hinting at until it looked like his eyes were glued to my chest.

My face reddened as soon as it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I quickly crossed my arms in front of my chest.

He doubled over in laughter at my late reaction and I threw daggers at him with my eyes while humiliation washed over my features.

You're such a disgusting ert, do you know that?!” I yelled in embarrassment. I glared at him one last time before I turned around and started walking away for real this time. I could still hear his laughter behind me.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the fresh air. There was no way I would look at him ever again. Not tomorrow, nor the day after tomorrow. Not ever.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I hope this was interesting enough to make you wanna wait for the spin-off. If that's the case, then please subscribe as I will be announcing it here once first chapter of it is up - although it'll take quite some time as I'm busy lately.^^

As always, your opinions matter, so please do drop a comment now that you're here! And lastly, thank you very much for reading.~ ^^ <3