Wake-Up Call

A Somewhat Familiar Face

 

            The sun enters my room. It’s too bright outside. I takes a few minutes, contemplating whether I should get up now or later. After a few moments, the alarm on my phone rings and that’s when I decide to get out of bed.

            I trudge over to the chair near my bed and grab the first jacket I see. I then do a few stretched before walking to the kitchen.  I continue my usual morning routine: make oatmeal, cook some spam, eat my ‘oh-so-delicious’ homemade breakfast, and drink milk.

            Today feels like an ordinary day.

            I check the time on the clock of the microwave. It’s only 8:10 AM. Today’s Tuesday and my first lecture starts at 10 AM.

            Thinking I should freshen up before class, I decide to take a quick shower.

            I grab a towel and head to the bathroom. I set everything down and take a quick glance at the mirror.

            I look away, then have a double take.

            A different face starts back at me.

            Wait a second.

            Am I a dude?

            I poke at my cheek and run a run hand through my now short, boyish hair.

            This has to be some kind of joke. It’s a dream.

            No. It’s true.

            But how?

            In my train of thought, I ponder at my reflection. From what I see, I have broad shoulders and a slender, but medium-length, neck. I sport jet black, smooth hair that is short and spiky. My jaw is defined and square. I obtain a clear and an olive skin complexion. My eyes are chinky, but not too small that they look like slits. My eyebrows are thick and I have an attractive eye smile. 

            Wait, did I just call the person in front of me attractive?

            Well, quite honestly, if I was still in my original form, I would totally find myself attracted to the figure in the mirror.

            The sound of the door knocking snaps me out of my trance. I walk to the front door, wondering how to deal with the situation. I’m a guy, I repeat to myself. I open the door and I cannot believe what’s in front of me.

            I see myself. My real self. “You ready to go to class?”

            I was too in awe to respond. “Wh-who are you?” I asked dumbfounded.

            The female version of me gives me a weird look. “You don’t recognize your own girlfriend?”