Fired

Replace

People always tell me to live my life and follow my dream. But some who told me that have already given up on theirs and the others were the ones living the life others had for them. I’ve tried to live my life like they said. Well, it’s pretty much what I want but not what I had in mind. But I like it better this way because now, I can see life in a better way this way. Thanks to all the things that happened. It all started with a failure.

“Just keep practicing your high notes and you can master that song in no time.” Rehearsal was finally over for the day. “I will do that. Thank you and have a nice day, Mai!” Anna was the main character of the theatre’s upcoming summer musical “High School Musical.” I was their instructor.

“Mai!” I turned around to see Lauren, the theatre’s director. “I want to talk to you about something.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Let’s go to my office.” I followed her up to the third floor where her office was. Lauren went to sit behind her desk then I followed her to the seat in front as she gestured. “What is it that you wanted to tell me?”

“Remember last week’s incident?”

“About that,” I took a deep breath and said, “I’m sorry. I-”

“You’re fired.” Her words were bold, there were no hesitation in her voice. “The police don’t know about this yet. So I can’t let you work here, having strangers looking for you and threatening people that tries to help or call the police. I know that you really love your job, I am sorry but I can’t just let these children’s life be in danger. So by that, you’re fired.”

I felt my heart sink at her words, is this really happening? “I understand, I have nothing to day in defense or any excuses. But can I come back tomorrow? I can’t just suddenly disappear.”

“Sure you can.”

“Thank you and I’m sorry to have caused you so much stress. But, have you found someone to replace me?” Lauren nod with a sorry look, but she seems to be a bit too happy to have me quitting. I took a look at the documents on Lauren's desk, hoping to see the new voice instructor's application by chance. Luckliy, it was on the very top of all the other documents, guess she really was eager to get someone else to replace me. Choi Hansol, is he Korean-American? Shaking that question off, I got up to said my goodbye and head for the door. I nearly dragged myself out of the building.

~

 I slowly climbed the stairs of the apartment building thinking, great, getting fired on a Monday. What’s next? Apartment getting on fired? I went straight to bed as soon as I stepped into my comfort zone, my bedroom. No need for dinner, I don’t eat dinner anyways.

It was already Tuesday, 7 in the morning. It seemed like yesterday when two strangers dressed in black came looking for me at the theatre. And then they just left after getting a call from whoever it is I don’t care probably their boss. What was that all about anyways? A prank? I’ve never been involved in any mafia stuff or owed anyone anything. Or were they looking for…no that can’t be it, she’s not a troublemaker like me and plus she’s living in Seoul, probably happy doing what she loves. Why must it be me? What can an 18 year old do to owe such scary people anything? I spent most of my morning questioning myself with things that I can’t even answer. I wish someone could just tell me why. Should I call my parents? No, I’ll call Lee tonight and tell her what happened since I haven't talkes to her for a while.

I made myself pancakes for breakfast because of course, it is not worth going to a restaurant and spending money after getting fired. I went out for a walk at noon to get some air even though it meant spending time out of my comfort zone. I lapped around the neighborhood a couple times before stopping at a café to get a cup of iced latte. By the time I got home, it was already 2pm, almost time for rehearsals. I slipped into my navy blue jean and a sweatshirt on top of my muscle shirt. I took a deep breath before putting on my pair of gray one star converse and head out the door with my shoulder bag.

I was on time to catch the city bus that I usually take to the theatre. But today’s ride to the theatre seemed quicker than usual. I wasn’t ready to tell the others, I haven’t planned anything ahead of time in case I needed another job, I wasn’t ready to let go of what I wanted to do. All of this wasn’t what I planned or wanted. What is happening to me? Nothing seems to be going right for me nowadays. First, mom and dad haven’t called me ever since I left town, Lee stopped talking to me then two dangerous strangers appeared out of nowhere and got me fired. Why is my life so unfair? Mom and dad are happy together, Lee’s living her dream and here I am, jobless with no plans for the next two and a half months until college starts.

Things were too  busy running in my mind that by the time I came back to my senses, I was already in front of the theatre. I gathered my courage as I took a few deep breaths, breathing in the warm summer air. I stepped into the building and entered the auditorium where rehearsals were. Everyone was already there, the actors and other staffs were practicing while waiting for their voice instructor to arrive.

I stood aside and watched them sing and dance joyfully on stage with an unnoticeable smile.  I clapped along with the others as they finish the scene. “You guys are doing great!” I walked up to the exhausted crew on stage and gave them each a high five.

“Mai, why were you so late today? Is everything alright?” Marcie, the musical’s dance instructor asked from the floor. Lauren didn’t tell anyone yet, she probably pitied me and decided to give me a chance to say what I needed and wanted to.

“Actually, I have something to tell you guys.” I paused and smiled best as I could for everyone, ready to talk as the room grew silent. “Starting from today, I will not be coming here anymore. Don’t ask why because I don’t know and won't be able to answer either. But I’ve had a lot of fun working with everyone. You guys are awesome people and I am really glad that I've decided to work here again this summer at Anchor Theatre. I hope everyone have a great time and rest of the year. So work hard and put on a great show next month! Oh and don't worry about not having a voice instructor, Lauren already found a new voice instructor to work with you guys this summer.”

I spent the next 30 minutes talking and saying my last words to the crew. Hugs, handshakes, high fives, words and smiles were exchanged. I held back my tears and pulled through the heartbreaking moment.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

how was it? i think it's going take me a while to update on chapt 2 because im lazy...

jk, its just that i cant think of what to do next so be patient and help support me until the very last chapter!!! 

Thank you for reading or just stopping by!