Baekhyun

How to Be a (Fake) Princess

April 23, 2014. 3:28 pm.

"He's about to turn eighteen in a few days, how can we even begin thinking of an arranged marriage?" the King exclaimed, angrily pacing around his royal study.

Baekhyun's face paled, not believing his ears. Arranged marriage. He knew that sooner or later that event would come. But he didn't expect it to be so soon. He carefully leaned closer toward the door's open space, trying to listen clearly. 

The Queen only shook her head, looking down at her fidgeting hands. "I know... I don't want to think of him with a bride in hand yet. But it needs to be done."

"No it doesn't. He hasn't even graduated high school, for God's sake!" the King argued, staring at his wife with wide and pleading eyes. 

"Didn't you read our ancestor's will?" the Queen snapped back, raising her voice in an angry manner. 

Baekhyun bit his lower lip with worry, wondering what the will could say for her to react in such a manner. Never in his life had he seen his mother raise her voice. Not even when he got in trouble. 

The King sighed, rubbing his temples in a calming matter. "I know what it says, dear-"

"If he doesn't marry in a year, we'll lose half of the nation to the Jungs," the Queen cut in, clearing the situation up.

The Prince's eyes widened. The Jungs were a family of dukes and duchesses whom, throughout history, had tried to sabotage his family's position as the country's regents. They were enemies.

"Weren't we planning to marry him off to that Jung girl, Krystal, anyways?" the King reminded her, trying to calm himself down. He plopped down on his chair, which was right across from his wife's seat.

"Yes, but that wouldn't give them any sort of power over the lands," the Queen clarified. 

Baekhyun's mouth dropped open in a horrified gape. The urge to protest that terrifying destiny bubbled inside him, and he had to fight with all his might to keep his mouth from blabbering.

"Remember we were going to prepare an agreement that clearly clarified that," the Queen explained. She closed her eyes, silent for a while, as she pondered the situation. "But I was hoping to find a better wife for my son in the coming years... however, now... we can't wait."

No, please! Find me a better wife! Baekhyun mentally pleaded. Four years ago, he had resigned to the fact that he wouldn't be able to marry someone he wanted. The girl would be his family's choice. But he'd always been sure that his parents loved him enough to not marry him off to a girl like Krystal —arrogant, cunning, two-faced... as funny as it sounded, she had bullied him until they both turned twelve, when she realized that having him as her ally would be good for her later on. 

There was a long silence in the room. Until finally, the King spoke. "Call the Jungs. We'll begin the wedding plans."

"No!" Baekhyun blurted out, his voice oozing with betrayal and horror.

Wide-eyed, his parents stared back at the door.

Baekhyun pushed it open, stepping inside. He didn't even care that he'd been busted. He only wanted to defend his future. 

"Baekhyun, were you eavesdropping our conversation?" the Queen calmly asked, trying to hide her growing worry with a nonchalant tone.

Baekhyun set his lips in a tight line, clenching his fists together. He prepared himself to speak in a steady voice. But his fear got the best of him and so he squeaked out, "Please don't make me marry Krystal. She's mean!"

"Oh, sweetie," the Queen cooed, standing up to envelope the Prince in a hug, as if he were still a little kid. "Don't you worry, everything will be alright."

The King stared at the scene in front of him for a while. His first thought was that Baekhyun needed to learn and control his emotions before becoming king. I’ll have to tell his tutor to work on that, he mentally noted. But he quickly wiped away that worry, and silently stood up, proceeding to pat his son's back. "Don't worry, we'll find a way to fix things."

Baekhyun didn't respond. He only buried his chin in his mother's shoulder, staring ahead. It was then that his eyes landed on a strange, collectible snowball on his father's desk. The Strange Shop, a small store dedicated to get its clients anything they needed, had found it for his father a few years ago as a token of gratitude. Apparently, his father had saved the owner’s life.

A bright idea lit up in his head.

The Strange Shop only offered its clients material objects. They didn't search for human services. However, he was pretty sure the granddaughter of the owner was a girl his age. She will do, Baekhyun thought, pulling away from the hug with a huge grin on his face.

"I have a plan," he informed his family. 

This chapter might be a bit boring. And the ridiculousness has not begun (if you were actually hoping to see some). But the first two chapters will be sort of an intro of the main characters' life. Thanks for the feedback! I hope this chapter was enjoyable :)