Chapter One

Behind closed doors

Aish , I knew it would end up like this.

 

A broken sigh passed the lips of the dark-haired boy while he was directed towards his class in a breathless pace, the math book and notebook under one arm and his last fixation -  “Treasure Island” by Robert L. Stevenson - clenched in the opposite hand.

Why someone like him, who ran once every— ok, truth to be told, he never ran - was literally flying down the empty corridor? Simple. He was ing late and Mrs. Kim , the arithmetic teacher, wouldn’t have taken it well . He had once again lost himself into his own little imaginary world, huddled in a corner of the library to read the last book he had borrowed, so it wasn’t really a surprise if he had once again totally missed how fast time was going by.

/ Drriiiiiiiiiiiiin /

ARGH !

 

Not realizing that he had almost passed his classroom, he halted, suddenly tripping over his own clumsy feet and almost finishing to hug the floor tiles with his face. So, in an attempt not to crack his nose or some precious bones with his extraordinary (sloth) agility, the brunet  barely had the time to reach out and put his hands between him and the (now terribly close) classroom door, just before he smashed himself into it with a loud thud.

(At least he couldn’t really blame his mother when she said that he moved around with the same grace of a drunken elephant on high heels in a jewelry)

 

«Oh. Lee Donghae. Finally you’ve arrived. I figured that you would have been late, but not that your entry would have been so spectacular. Just so you know, you could have just knocked.»

The high pitched and filled with sarcasm voice came from nonetheless than his math teacher, who had opened the door some seconds after his crash. She was a woman of small stature, a severe face framed by jet-black hair organized perfectly in a severe bob and dark eyes which were now looking down upon him behind a pair of antique round glasses. A little more downwards her lips were streched in a half sneer.

Behind her, the whole class was snickering.

 

Lifting up his eyes a little, Donghae pointed his gaze directly at her face, shifting it almost instantly on the ground again when he felt a rush of blood reaching his cheeks for the sudden embarassment.

Rising slowly from the ground, he ran his slender fingers between his locks, messy from the previous flight, and only after having carefully rearranged his hair, he slowly began to recover his personal items that fell all over the floor during his triumphal arrival.

 

«Excuse me, Mrs. Kim , I was in the library and did not hear the bell.. And now I'm going to my desk. » he whispered self consciously while he stood up and half-runned to his place, his response accompanied by another round of giggles from his classmates and some low murmured phrases. He didn’t have difficulties in detecting the short exchange between a girl with long and wavy har sitted behind him – her name was Jihyun, maybe ? - and her deskmate.

« God, he was in the library. Again. »

« I bet he’s meeting up with someone there, you know, like a place to make out- Ouch! » exclaimed the boy with a moan, clutching tightly his arm, where the girl had just elbowed him.

« Tch. ert. I don’t really know what exactly is he doing there, but he loves that place so much that he will age and eventually die in there.»

They eventually shut their mouths when they noticed that the subject of their discussion was approaching, but Donghae didn’t really pay attention to them.

His peers were right, in fact if it was not for the simple fact that like all normal humans he needed food and sleep in order to survive - and according to his parents also to follow the lessons was essential for his survival- he would have happily holed up in his usual corner behind the shelves in the narrative section to read his usual stack of books. That little space between the shelf and the wall was his favorite hiding place, full of bright light thanks to the huge window that dominated the wall and exceptionally quiet due to the fact that the room looked directly onto the rear courtyard of the school, which was almost always completely deserted.

Unfortunately, however, he had had to turn away from his little fantasy to take part in the  “wonderful”  Miss Kim’s lesson on trigonometric equations. Ew.

 

He slipped quietly into his seat , a desk in the third row next to the window and, at the same istant that the teacher resumed the explanation, he propped his chin against his crossed arms not even trying to follow the lesson.

Donghae had no hope other than that asphyxiating hour passed fast enough for him to escape back into the library as soon as possible. After lunch  he would have had Art - drawing for being exact- and the professor was now so deaf and blind  that if the guy had put a cardboard silhouette instead of himself in his chair, probably he would not have noticed the difference nor his absence from the class . He just needed a big printer.

 

«Forty minutes ..» the boy sighed softly , turning his gaze from the teacher who, after having cast a look of disapproval in his direction, had begun to fill the blackboard with incomprehensible numbers and letters.

Only forty minutes of painful torture and you'll be free Donghae, come on.. Maybe try to follow and understand something out of this lesson- Oh, here he left the sparrow has made ​​a nest .. That bird is really blessed because if he wanted to, he could fly away and get out of this prison - '

 

He made a record. After three minutes and twenty-seven seconds he was already snoring in his seat.

 

-- -- -- -- --

 

« Yah ! Sleeping beauty, wake up! The lesson is over and I'm hungry ! »

A shrill voice startled him and almost sent him off, for the second time that morning, on the ground.

 

«Hey .. Do you think that’s the way to wake someone who is sleeping so peacefully ? Where are your manners ? » Donghae mumbled through a yawn, pushing with one hand his best friend's enourmous mocking face away from him.

 

«What peaceful sleep? I could hear your loud snoring from the other side of the room! You were lucky that Mrs. Kim decided to ignore you.» he replied shrugging his shoulders a little «I think she has given up on you, but I don't want to talk about it now. I'm a thin and delicate guy and I need some good carbs to endure another four hours of this ». As to underline his intentions, the blonde big guy placed his hands on the back of his chair and dragged it (and Donghae who was still seated on it) out from under the desk. The short boy hadn't even had he chance to reply with something that those same strong hands took him like pincers from under  his arms and lifted him up on his unsteady legs .

 

« Listen, if you're thin and delicate then I'm Marylin Monroe. » his response came out a little less acid than he intended to, his brain cells too occupied in trying to find some kind of equilibrium in that new standing position. «And, ouch.» he added after, massaging his arms.

 

« Marylin, Donghee’s right.»  the two boys turned around only to find their third friend sitted on one of the nearest desk, staring at them « If we want to find something edible to eat we have to move. And fast, because today’s menu is pizza.» while he finished his sentence, the little guy took a strand of rebellious dark hair and positioned it with its perfectly styled companions behind the left ear.

 

«Thanks for the help Min, but there's no need to pretend that you like pizza. We all know too well that the only reason why you’re trying to get there as quickly as possible is so that you 'll have more time to stalk the new student council president. What was his name again ? Oh right, Cho  Kyuh- »

 « Shut up.» the other quickly interrupted him, cheeks instantly flushing bright red  «I told you, the reason is that I recently discovered a new love for pizza and ... So do we move or not?» grumbled annoyed the brunet , jumping off of the desk, turning on his heel and heading quickly toward the classroom door.

Donghee slightly chuckled and placed his hands on his hips, nodding like an i-know-all old lady.

 

«Ah .. love ! It is a wonderful thing to be young , right Donghae ? ..Donghae ? »

 

Unfortunately, Donghae had already left in silence to follow Sungmin and fetch himself a slice of pizza, leaving the poor guy alone with his unfinished monologue.