Final

Memories

 We just sat at the table. We were trying to find the words to say to each other, but none came. To be honest, I was genuinely surprised. When he called, I nearly fell out of the chair I was sitting on. But, now, here I am. Looking at his face, it reminded me of that bittersweet . He was the most handsome guy on campus.

His name is Hyukjae. Every girl on campus wanted to be his girlfriend. At first, I found this crazy. But, as time went by, as I got to know him better, I can come to terms why the girls feel that way. The irony is that I fell for him. Even though I knew he was taken, I still did. Throughout the time I was with him, I managed to cover up my crush on him. However, I did not know how bad it was until one day, I got a call from his girlfriend, wanting to talk to me in private. Puzzled, I went there. The moment she saw me, her facial expression changed. Her face began to twist in rage. She began to yell at me, saying that I was the cause of Hyukjae and her to be more distant. I was shocked. Instead I explained to her that he and I were just friends, nothing more than that. But she would not listen. She continued accusing me of the crack in their relationship. I was so angry that I yelled back at her how irrevocably Hyukjae was in love with her. But, it seemed she was not listening. What she did next was to no one expectation. She slowly pulled out a knife from a bag she was carrying. With the knife in her hand, she looked at me sinisterly. My mind was telling me to run but my knees were buckled. I could not move an inch. As she approached me slowly, my fear began kick in as I ran as fast as I can away from her. But, I forgot one detail. She is an amazing runner. She represents my university for international meets. Without much difficulty, she caught up with me and stood in my way. As soon as she did, she stabbed me. She mumbled something into my ear and walked away. Till this day, all I can remember is falling into a pit of darkness, unaware of what going on around me.I opened my eyes after in the hospital for a week. According to the doctors, I lost a lot of blood and it was a miracle that I survived.

 Suddenly, Hyukjae called my name “Hae ah.....” My mind snapped back into reality. It felt just like old times. Toying with the warm cup of coffee in his hand, he told me how sorry he was for that incident. After that he confessed to me that he did indeed fell for me back then. I was completely surprised. Before I could say anything, I saw my boyfriend, Siwon, walking into the cafe Hyukjae and I are in. Both of them introduced each other. The moment he heard his name, I could see the rage was beginning to boil in him. I did tell him about the incident. He was furious when he first found out, but, then again, who would not be? Knowing this was not going to turn out good, I asked my boyfriend to wait for me outside the cafe. He immediately stormed out. I turned around and faced Hyukjae. I told him that it was too late. That I had moved on. Without waiting for a reply, I paid my part of the bill and walked out. Before leaving, I caught a last glimpse of Hyukjae. He was sitting back at the table, looking dejected. I wanted to tell him that it will be alright, but I just could not find the words nor the voice to say so. I opened the door and walked out. That was the last time I saw him. Eventually, Siwon and I moved in together far away from Hyukjae. Yet, every morning when I wake up, I will notice the scar across my abdomen and will be reminded of Hyukjae every single time.