Chapter 1

Cold Warmth

 

                Apartment 402, an empty house where sobs could be heard. A brown wavy haired girl was sat on the windowsill, staring at the infinite city in front of her. It was night time. The lights of the buildings allowed her to see the thin raindrops falling from the clouds above. Tears ran down her cheeks while she was alone, locked in her dark bedroom, her mind filled with thoughts. YunHee was her name. Choi YunHee.

                Boxes were pilled around the room, some already opened. The girl had arrived to the apartment five hours before the actual time. However, she was not in the mood to unpack anything. The only thing she could do was crying. Her heart hurt and her brain was tormented by the feeling of guilt. She knew it had been better that way, but she still could not believe her parents had actually divorced.

                Five years had passed by since YunHee’s mother firstly mentioned the divorce, and since her father started to drink. She didn’t understood that time; she was 12 years old. But she remembered perfectly seeing her mother crying because of the words the man had said. Almost every day he got drunk and mad at his wife. The first year, he would only make her cry with words.

                It became worse. When she turned 13, YunHee started to understand some things when she first saw purple marks on her mother’s body. She hid the fact that she knew what was going on, afraid of what her father could do to her. Since then, she became a lot more mature than other kids. She had thoughts that any other 13 year-old had. Society around her turned to be the thing she most hated.

                The first time she caught her father beating her mother in front of her eyes she was 15. When her father saw her watching, a smirk grew on his lips. YunHee never forgot that day, that moment. October the 16th, 2012. That day haunted her like a ghost. She remembered seeing her blood mixed with her mother’s on her father’s knuckled, him smiling at them while they both lied on the floor, bleeding and covered in bruises.

                YunHee recollected her memories of going to school the next day. Everyone whispering thing about her, while glancing at the bruises and cuts on her skin, revealed by the skirt of the school’s uniform. She went to the court for the first time with her mother that day, too. To report her father. Because it was a difficult process, it took two years until her mother finally got the divorce, and her father went to jail. Her and her mother ran from their hometown and hid in the biggest city of the country, Seoul, afraid that he could get out of jail earlier than expected.

                And there she was. It was the first day of her new life, but the only thing she could do was crying. Her mother had gone to find a job the moment they got to their new house. She was lucky; all the money her father had earned over the years went to both of them. He was a wealthy man, and despite all the money he used to buy drinks, there was still a lot of it. However, it was better for both of her and her mother to find a job, since the rents in Seoul were unbelievably expensive. Since YunHee was still a high schooler, she had to find a part-time job. But she decided on searching for it another day. Reality was still scaring her.

               The girl whipped her tears hearing the door opening. She quickly made her way to her bedroom’s bathroom and washed her face with cold water, after hearing her mother’s voice calling her. Opening her room’s door, YunHee felt two arms around her. A bright smile was stamped on her mother’s face and tears of happiness were falling from her eyes.

“I made it Yun. I finally found a job.”- YunHee sighed in relieve hearing the news. She was afraid her mother would not find a job, since she never really had a job. She majored in design, but she married early (she was 23) and never had to work.

“Thank goodness, eomma.”- she hugged her mother back and they both went to the kitchen.

“How unbelievable is this? This old woman is finally going to work.”- she smiled while taking some ingredients from the fridge.

“You’re not old. You’re not even 40 yet. ”- YunHee said rolling her eyes and sitting on a bench on the other side of the counter. Her mother was really young, and she knew it. The actual reason her mother had married so early was because she was pregnant.- “It’s not unbelievable, it happened, right? And I think they made a good decision. You look younger than your age, majored in design and are excellent at drawing. Your age doesn’t really matter.”

“Thank you sweetie. Are you better now? Have you cleared your thoughts?”

“Yeah… I can’t really believe everything’s over. All my memories seem to be only nightmares now, you know? Even the physical pain is now psychological. The marks left on my body that will never disappear, those are the only signs I have that it wasn’t a dream.”- the girl only saw her mother nodding while chopping the vegetables. After a while, when her mother finished putting everything on the pan to cook, YunHee heard her speaking again.

“I’m sorry, my daughter, for everything. If I had reported him right in the beginning, you probably wouldn’t have suffered as much. You lost your precious childhood because of me, and I hate that the only thing I can do now is apologizing.”

“It wasn’t your fault, eomma. You suffered more than I did, so you don’t need to apologize. The only culprit of everything is him.”- after a pause, YunHee continued.- “I’m actually quite thankful. I’m more mature than many people my age, and I got to know what real hardships are. I see the world in a way that many people don’t. It’s stupid that I’m saying this, I know. But it’s true.”

“I never met a girl as smart as you, YunHee. I’m so proud of you.”- the older woman said between sobs. YunHee went and hugged her mother.- “I really wished you could have turned in such a good person as you are by other means. I know how hard it is for you to interact with people because of everything you went through, but Yunnie, try to make friends here. We’re starting a new life. Let the people here see your bright side, and those eyes that are so full of life. Let them erase your bad memories and make you smile like you haven’t in many years.”- by this time, they were both crying together. After their meal, they went to bed and both slept on her mother’s bedroom, hugging each other. 

 


I know this chapter was probably really boring, but I had to tell her story right? Probably no, but I didn't have any other idea to start the fanfic xD But yeah, I hope you liked it and continue to read it :) My first language is not english, so there will probably be some mistakes. That's it then. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE FOREWORD I BEG YOU

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ