one

swing

Kyuhyun eats his ramyun at the kitchen table in a patch of late afternoon sunlight. He’s propped up his Chinese linguistics textbook against the fat teapot that once belonged to his old roommate. Three chapters to read before tomorrow and he hasn’t played any starcraft all week, so some multitasking is in order. He squints at the text while slurping his noodles. 

He sighs, groping for a pencil to underline a section of text. It might be important. It might not be. You never know.

One day. He tells himself this every week. One day he will see the logic hidden somewhere in the Chinese language. It will be a beautiful day. Today is not that day.

The pencil clatters on the wooden table as he rubs his eyes.

There's a groan from the living room.

"Kyuhyun?" Donghae calls out plaintively.

"Yes, hyung?"

"Do you think I'd make a good dancer?" Donghae asks from where he's spread out on their living room couch.

Donghae doesn't live with them, officially, but he might as well for all the time he spends in his and Henry's apartment. Kyuhyun likes to think it's because he's a sparkling conversationalist and makes for excellent company but he has a sneaking suspicion it has more to do with the view their apartment has on the dance studio.

"Sure, hyung," Kyuhyun reassures him, wandering into the living room. He nudges Donghae's legs out of the way so he can flop down on the couch next to him.

"Done for the day?" asks Donghae, depositing his legs back on Kyuhyun's lap, only narrowly avoiding kicking the bowl of ramyun Kyuhyun is still holding. Kyuhyun shakes his head sadly.

"Break," he says around a mouthful of noodles. Donghae nods and his attention once again drifts to the dance studio across the street.

"So, you think I could do it?"

"Why not? You're athletic enough," says Kyuhyun. I've seen you your hips at the club and had to go have a lie down, he doesn't add. 
"Is he there today?" Kyuhyun asks, more for the sake of idle conversation than anything else; Donghae's been on their couch for an hour and a half now and judging from his experience with Donghae's attention span, there's no way his dancer crush isn't keeping him entertained.

Donghae whips his head around, eyes wide in an attempt at innocence.

"Who do you mean?"

"Hyung, you've been semi-permanently parked on our couch for the entire semester now. It's a little late for denial," Kyuhyun says mildly.

It's hard to see properly sitting up on the couch, so he leans back, trying to angle himself to get a good enough view into the studio. He ends up half on top of Donghae, but sacrifices have to be made and all that.

"Which one?"

Donghae sighs, but it sounds less put upon and more disgustingly in love.

"That one," he says, pointing at what could be absolutely any of the dancers. Kyuhyun peers at them and picks one at random.

"What, him? I know him! He used to be my Chinese tutor, remember?"

"Not him." Donghae waves his hand impatiently. "Although I thought he looked familiar. Whatever happened with that, anyway?"

Kyuhyun shrugs.

"He ran away screaming. I don't know why. I still need to get a new one. Which one then?"

"The one with the cap. And the abs. I want to them? Look! Who just did that amazing backflip I don't even know how someone can move like-" he stops with an oof as Kyuhyun entirely accidentally plants an elbow in his side to get a better look.

"Oh," he says, peering down at the figures. "The ugly one."

He doesn't think he deserves landing face first on the floor for that but he should have seen it coming.

"Your battle cry could use some work," he mutters into the carpet. Donghae sniffs.

"Make it up to me."

"Make what up to you?" Kyuhyun asks, scrambling upright again.

"Insulting my one true love."

"Your one true what? You don't even know the guy."

"Exactly. Introduce me, Kyuhyun," Donghae pleads, grabbing his hand and making puppy eyes at him. Kyuhyun is weak to the puppy eyes, so very weak. But there are limits to madness.

"Don't look at me! It's not like I know him!"

"But you know Chinese tutor hyung," says Donghae. He smiles brightly. He has clearly decided on what can loosely be called a plan. It's a terrible plan.

"What part of ran away screaming didn't you understand?"

"I'm sure he won't mind meeting you for coffee," says Donghae. "Please? Kyu? I'll love you forever."

He slides down onto the floor next to Kyuhyun and pulls him into a hug, fluttering his eyelashes and giving Kyuhyun his most winsome smile. Kyuhyun sighs.

"You're disgusting," he says. Then, "Fine. Get me my phone."