Final

It All Begins With a Dance.

Hyewon walked pass the school’s dance studio yet again and saw it was empty. She always does this every time when she wanted to go home after studying in library until 4pm. She only walked pass it but never entered, but that day she just had the urge to enter. She never had a proper dance mirror at home. She isn’t poor or wealthy; she lives with her mother only. She knows her mother needed the money to do more important things rather than buy her a large mirror just so she can dance. Plus, her mother doesn’t know that she likes to dance.

Hyewon reached for the door knob and twisted it. The dance studio wasn’t locked. She looked around before pushing the door open and entered the room. She closed the door behind her and took off her backpack. She settled her backpack against the wall and took out her mobile phone to play some dance music.

Hyewon was fascinated by her moves. She took the opportunity to clean up her moves. She didn’t know it was sloppy and messy, but how could she? She didn’t have mirror to look at it. Yes, she does record her dancing with her phone just to look at how she did, but having a mirror in front of her was like looking at a HD video of her dancing. She noticed her mistakes very well rather than watching her video from her 2 MP only phone camera.

Jongin had just finished his duty of class cleaning for the day, it was his turn. He had an English extra class. He had an off day from his part time job. He went to his usual spot to dance, the dance studio. He always goes here after his classes ended, but he usually leaves early, by 4pm he had already went to his part time job.  This explains why they never run into each other.

Jongin arrived and was about to open the door of the dance studio when he saw a figure dancing inside it. He saw a girl making a lot of mistakes and her moves are awkward and messy. He stood outside for a good one minute with his hand on the door knob, contemplating whether he should help the girl or not. He cringed looking at the girl’s messy moves and that made him open the door.

Hyewon looked surprise as the door opened and turned to look at the person a bowed. She apologized for using the dance room without permission. She jogged to her bag and picked it up, already ready to go out. Jongin stopped her.

“Your moves aren’t clean. Do you want me to help with that?”

Hyewon scoffed mentally, she knew she’s a noob when it comes to dancing but she felt as if she was insulted.

“I don’t mean it in a rude way, but I want to help you. You kinda got the moves already, but it’s not clean and you were awkward. In dance, you have to relax.”

Hyewon nodded slightly and smiled. She put her bag down again next to Jongin’s and followed Jongin infront of the mirror. Jongin danced to the same moves she danced to earlier, except he made it look so easy, so flawless. It was smooth and natural and it mesmerised Hyewon.

“This move requires you to relax your shoulders.”

Jongin said as he put his hand to Hyewon’s stiff shoulders.

“Think happy, serene thoughts.”

Jongin continued. Hyewon closed her eyes and let her shoulders relax.

“Good. Now, follow me slowly.”

Jongin removed his hand from Hyewon’s shoulders as Hyewon opened her eyes to see how Jongin did the move. Hyewon followed and it surprises her how she can make it look better, cleaner than before. Hyewon squealed and clapped her hands together in excitement.

They continued for a good half an hour until Hyewon told Jongin that she needed a break. They were sweating as Jongin even taught her new, harder moves. Hyewon lied on the floor, Jongin followed.

“That wasn’t even much and you already collapsed.”

“Well, this is actually my first time dancing so much non-stop!”

“That shows you need more stamina. All dancers have to have good stamina”

“Not sure I’m qualified to be called a dancer yet.”

“Just practice, you have potentials.”

“Thank you.”

 “Umm, hey, how long have you been dancing?”

 

Jongin kept quiet as he was thinking of an answer.

 “I don’t exactly know, but dancing gives me peace for as long as I could remember, ever since I was little. It makes me feel like I’m in my own world where no one could hurt me. I feel like I’m in control of what I am doing. I feel like it adds meaning to my life. I like the feeling when I dance a lot. It’s my only escape.”

 “That’s deep.”

Hyewon chuckled and sat up; she realized she hasn’t introduced herself properly.

“Hi, my name is Yong Hyewon.”

Hyewon said as she sticks out her hand in front of Jongin, which made Jongin sat up. Jongin took her hand and shook it.

“Hi Hyewon, mine’s Kim Jongin.”

Jongin replied, with a smile.