Fin

Don't Listen to Haters, Find What Makes You Happy

                Youngjae was sitting on the couch reading on his iPad as Daehyun flipped through channels on the television not finding anything he and Zelo could agree upon to watch. Yongguk, Himchan, and Jongup were at the table playing a card game of some sort. Youngjae was too absorbed into his book to really know what was going on around him though so he wasn’t quite sure if that was what everyone was still doing. He didn’t pay attention to the others until he heard his name come from the television.

                Youngjae looked up to see an episode of Weekly Idol on but the hosts were watching a video from B.A.P’s BABY DAY. Youngjae’s face paled. Specifically they were watching a clip of him dancing dressed up as a girl and were trying to figure out if it was Yongguk or him.

                “Give me the remote!” Youngjae shouted as he dived towards Daehyun who was sitting next to him.

                Daehyun laughed as he tried to hide the remote from Youngjae. Eventually Youngjae was able to wrestle the remote away from Daehyun, but only after one of the guys on the screen said that the one dressed up with the long hair looked good as a girl.

                Youngjae groaned from embarrassment as the rest of the group chuckled to themselves, Daehyun laughing the loudest at his best friend’s expense. “It’s not that funny.” Youngjae said quietly.

                “Don’t worry about it,” Daehyun patted Youngjae’s shoulder. “You just make a cute and pretty girl.”

                “I thought Jongup was the cutest.” Himchan hugged Jongup.

                Jongup rolled his eyes but leaned into the hug. “You always think I’m the cutest, except for when you think I’m the iest.”

                Himchan’s chuckle was drowned out but the collective groan from everyone else. “What? It’s true.”

                “Just don’t start acting gross while we’re all here.” Zelo pleaded. Jongup laughed but he reassured the youngest by pushing Himchan gently back into his own chair.

                “But, I think we can all agree though that Youngjae was the prettiest—IS the prettiest in the group.” Daehyun said. “Your features are quite feminine and I’m sure many of the fans are jealous.”

                “Yeah and I’m sure they are jealous of how you don’t gain weight after you devour enough food for two families.” Youngjae shot back.

                “Hey!” Daehyun laughed as he playfully slapped Youngjae’s arm.

                Youngjae’s smile was tight as he picked up his IPad. “I’m feeling tired and my IPad needs to charge so I’m going to go rest.”

                “Beauty rest.” Daehyun chuckled as Youngjae walked away.

                Youngjae’s smile fell as soon as he left the room. He connected his IPad to the charger, although it didn’t need it, and climbed up into his bed on the top bunk. He pulled his fluffy blankets on top of himself and burrowed inside so no one would be able to see him if they came in the room. ‘God damn it Daehyun… I know you don’t mean it but sometimes I really hate you.’

                “Stupid Daehyun…” Youngjae mumbled.

                Youngjae heard the sound of someone walking into the room and he curled up into a ball, as if trying to take up less space or be invisible.

                The deep sigh was enough for Youngjae to know exactly who was beside his bed. He spent so much time watching the older man that it was more of a surprise that he didn’t recognize the sound of his footsteps walking down the hallway. And of course, him hearing Daehyun call him a girl made him feel even more embarrassed. His crush had laughed at the comments on the screen too so it was more than possible that he thought the same. The thought alone made Youngjae feel nauseous.

                “Youngjae?” The deep voice of their leader seemed to echo through the room.

                Youngjae rolled up even more, hoping Yongguk would take the hint that he didn’t want to talk.

                “Youngjae, please tell me what’s wrong. I know when you are feeling bad.” Yongguk tried again.

                “I’m just tired.” Youngjae’s voice was slightly muffled but the thick blankets.

                “Youngjae…” Yongguk sighed. “Don’t make me come up there.”

                “What are you my father? Just let me sleep.” Youngjae hated what he was saying. He wanted to be comforted but he felt the reason he wanted to be comforted was just too stupid to even bring up.

                “I don’t believe you’re just tired.” Yongguk said sternly.

               Things were quiet and Youngjae thought that maybe if he didn’t say anything eventually Yongguk would walk away. That would be horrible too though because wouldn’t that mean Yongguk didn’t care about him? Youngjae mentally groaned. ‘But if he stays doesn’t that mean he could just care about me as a younger member? Or even if he goes it could just be because he thinks I really want space. Why is this so confusing?!’

                The creaking of the bunk bed pulled Youngjae away from his useless decision making process. He felt a weight on the end of his bed and furrowed his eyebrows. “What are you doing?”

                “I am going to sit here reading until you want to talk.” Yongguk said, his voice now coming from the end of Youngjae’s bed.

                Youngjae was shocked. “Wh—what if I don’t ever want to talk?”

                “Then I might just end up falling asleep up here with you.” Yongguk said with a hint of a smile in his voice.

                “I could also just get up and walk out of the room.” Youngjae’s face was starting to flush but he was determined to believe it was because it was hot underneath the blankets.

                Yongguk hummed as he thought about his reply. “Well depending on how fast you get off the bed I’ll either grab you to keep you up here or I’ll follow you around the apartment much like how Himchan follows Jongup.”

                ‘Does he even know what he’s saying?’ Youngjae was really blushing now. “Now I really don’t want to come out…”

                “Eh? You want me to stay up here with you all day?”

                Youngjae’s eye shot open as he realized he had said the last part loud enough for Yongguk to hear. He flung the blanket off of him as he sat up. “That’s not what I meant!”

                Yongguk smiled but quickly dropped his book and grabbed Youngjae’s hand as he saw the younger try to retreat back under the blankets. “No, no, no. Damn it Youngjae, talk to me.”

                Youngjae grumbled, knowing he was caught. “I just didn’t like what Daehyun said.”

                “Did the jokes go too far?”

                Youngjae sighed. “I’m just tired of being pretty or cute. I want….”

                “What?” Yongguk asked softly, not trying to pressure Youngjae, just let him know he was still listening.

                Youngjae groaned. “I want to be considered more like a man and not a boy. I’m an adult but the fans still treat me like I’m Zelo’s age.”

                “Ah, so you don’t want to seem like a girl.” Yongguk said, finally understanding what was wrong with Youngjae.

                “Of course not! I’m a guy!” Youngjae snapped, a bit harsher than he intended to.

                “Stay here.” Yongguk said finally dropping Youngjae’s hand. “I’m going to be right back so don’t hide.”

                Youngjae rolled his eyes and nodded, trying not to show that he already missed holding Yongguk’s hand.

                Yongguk jumped off the bunk and almost immediately climbed back up only this time carrying Youngjae’s IPad.

                “Why did you grab that?” Youngjae frowned.

                “Hold on.” Yongguk flipped through some pages until he found what he was looking for and then with a gummy smile showed the page to Youngjae.

                Youngjae took the device, looking at it curiously. His eyes widened as he looked at the page Yongguk opened it up to. It was pictures of him performing and tons of comments from fans underneath. All of which were praising him; praising his singing, his dancing, and mostly, his y stare in the top picture.

                “This website is real?” Youngjae said in wonder.

                “Yes, it is. I didn’t just create it you know.” Yongguk laughed and ruffled Youngjae’s hair. “These are the comments you need to look for.”

                “Why just these?” Youngjae laughed. “Aren’t all our fans important?”

                “Yeah but these are the ones that make you happy so just read those comments.” Yongguk smiled.

                Youngjae clicked onto another picture of himself and read more comments. Some did say he was cute and fluffy but others still said he was y. “I really can’t believe they think I’m hot.”

                “Why not? It’s true.”

                Youngjae looked over at Yongguk in surprise to see the leader looking just as surprised. “Yong—what?”

                “I…uhhh… I should get going. Come out when you’re feeling better.” Yongguk said as he scrambled off the bunk.

                “Wait!” Youngjae quickly lunged forward and barely was able to grab onto Yongguk’s shirt. Yongguk didn’t notice though and continued walking, pulling Youngjae along with him. Youngjae squeaked as he lost his balance and started falling to the floor.

                Yongguk turned around just in time to catch Youngjae before his head hit the floor. “Woah, you okay?”

                “Yeah.” Youngjae said embarrassed as he finally straightened up. He continued to hold onto Yongguk’s arm though. “But, Yongguk… do you think I’m hot?” When Yongguk hesitated Youngjae confidentially continued on, hoping he wasn’t making a fool out of himself. “Because… because your opinion means more to me since I like you.”

                “You like…” Yongguk blinked in surprise. “I thought you liked Daehyun.”

                “What? No! We’re just friends. Why would you think that?”

                “Well online—“

                Youngjae rolled his eyes. “You obviously aren’t looking at the right posts.” Youngjae dragged him back to the bunk bed so he could grab the IPad and show him a page he had bookmarked.

                Yongguk was confused at first as to why Youngjae was showing him a gif of the group until he saw the way Youngjae kept looking at him and how his eyes softened while watching Yongguk. “You like me…”

                “Yeah…” Youngjae said starting to get nervous.

                Yongguk smiled widely. “How did I get so lucky?”

                Before Youngjae could ask Yongguk to confirm what he thought his question meant, Yongguk leaned over and captured Youngjae’s lips with his own. It was short and sweet and almost seemed like it was a promise of more to come.

                Yongguk pulled back slightly and Youngjae couldn’t help but just stare at his huge gummy smile, feeling completely caught off guard. “To have a smart y guy like you actually like me back, I must be the luckiest guy in the world.”