It's War

Collateral Damage

 

To be young and in love in a city where witches and vampires are at war, 
things could only happen tragically wrong...

 

1912, New Orleans.

Baekhyun scowled as the group of witches surrounded him. He bared his fangs at them, trying to scare them away. He always knew it was wrong to travel to the French Quarter; and hell, he should have known better than to travel there just before the break of dawn.

The witches around him started chanting. The young vampire felt as if his brain was being fried. He swore that he felt his body temperature shoot up sky high. The blood of the victims he consumed the night before began to boil in his stomach. Dropping onto his knees, Baekhyun puked his guts out.

"Yes, vampire. Choke on the blood of the innocents whom of which you consumed," Suho, one of the coven leader jeered. "How nice of you to come to our land to get slaughtered yourself?"

Baekhyun clutches his head as the witches advances on him. He was dumb; too dumb. He had known that he was only a mere night-walker; the ones without a daylight ring, and yet he dared venture out of the vampire's compound at dawn.

He was just strolling mindlessly, thinking about his life as a vampire when he suddenly caught the stench of the witches. Magic has this distinct scent that made the witches' blood smell sweet and delicious. The more powerful the witch, the tastier their blood. Vampires had feasted on witches before, but history often taught them that the servants of nature proofed to be a strong force to be reckoned with. And just when he was about to fled the French Quarter realizing his mistake, the sun rose slowly into the horizon, burning his flesh, forcing him back into the shelters before one of the houses.

Entering an enemy's land without authorization is punishable by death. Especially during war times like this.

The human faction often looked the other way as long as the vampires doesn't kill the locals. The werewolves were banished to the bayou by the swamp in the deed of the vampires and witches working together to get rid of one of the strongest forces in the cities. If the werewolves were to set even a paw into the city, they would be persecuted on sight. The vampires built their home at the compound near the docks, whereas the witches claimed the French Quarter with the oldest cemeteries. Being a vampire and present in the French Quarter meant that the witches would not even bat an eye when hexing them to death.

Suho, the elder witch, raised a stake. "Goodbye you son of a ."

Baekhyun shut his eyes tightly as the witch strikes down.

"Wait!" A soft, but authoritative voice resounded.

The coven of witches turned towards the door, and there stood another elder witch; one of the strongest. The witch steps forward and tilted Baekhyun's head towards his, leveling their gazes. Baekhyun could see those huge doe eyes searching him, as if reading his soul. He felt breathtaking, seeing the witch so up close. The witch is beautiful. Huge chocolaty doe eyes, soft tender lips, pale smooth skin, and not to mention the magic that was coursing through the witch's blood made him irresistible. Baekhyun could almost taste the power of the witch's blood on his tongue.

Then, the witch let go of his head abruptly, breaking Baekhyun from his thoughts.

"Leave this one be." The witch announces as he stood up to face his people.

"But Dyo-"

"He is important in the play of our Endgame if we want to win this war," The witch, Dyo, says with an air of finality. "I had a vision. He would be the one that helps us chase the vampires out of New Orleans."

"Are you sure about that?" Suho asked, lowering the stake in his hands.

"Yes," Dyo looks over his shoulder at Baekhyun. 

"He would be an ally when the right time comes."

With that, the witches left the weakened vampire to his own devices. Baekhyun grunted as he shifted on the ground. That's when he saw a glimmer on the ground. He frowned as he crawled towards the thing. Taking it in his hands, he saw a silver ring with a core made from the rare blue coralite.

A daylight ring that protects him from the burning sunlight.

"It is yours to keep now." He hears the witch's voice echoed in his head.

Baekhyun just couldn't believe his luck.

---


2014, Present New Orleans. 

Baekhyun woke up.

He blinked his eyes once, twice, then realizes that he is back in present. He dreamt of his past once again. 

In Baekhyun's arms, there is a small figure with his back towards him. The vampire chuckled as he leaned down to press a kiss on the back of the boy's head. He took in a deep breath. The boy smells heavenly. And just like clockwork, the boy stirred.

"Ugh... Baekkie, I'm tired..." The boy groans, but Baekhyun just hugs the boy even tighter.

"Kyungsoo, time to wake up. You have to go to the Voodoos to work and I have to get back to the compound," Baekhyun said.

Kyungsoo sighs. "Says the one that is hugging me so tightly."

"Sleepy head, stop pushing the blame to me," Baekhyun chuckles.

Kyungsoo slowly pushed the vampire away and sat up. He rubs his eyes trying to fight off the sleep, and Baekhyun came up after him, kissing him. Kyungsoo softly moaned as he responded to the kiss, tugging onto Baekhyun's hair. Heat rises quickly between them, and Baekhyun felt his fangs lengthening. Kyungsoo emitted a soft gasp before pulling back.

"You grazed my lips." He frowns, and sure enough, a bead of blood appears on his heart shaped lips.

"Sorry." Baekhyun said sheepishly, but his gaze could not leave the droplet of blood on his lover's lips.

"You're hungry," Kyungsoo says casually as he stood up and walked over to the dressing table. "I mean, you obviously is, after all the rough rounds last night." Kyungsoo eyes Baekhyun through the mirror. Kyungsoo slowly picked up a pin from his table and pricked his left index finger lightly.

"Here, drink." Kyungsoo says. In a flash, Baekhyun appeared in front of Kyungsoo with his supernatural speed. He kept his eye contact with Kyungsoo as he lowered his head and sank his fangs down on Kyungsoo's finger, drinking from him.

"That's a good boy." Kyungsoo smiles. The vampire relished in the blood that was fed to him. Kyungsoo is a witch from a powerful bloodline, and thus his blood is rich and singing with the strong ancestral magic that flows through him. It is so delicious that Baekhyun was afraid that he would drain his lover of it all. But Baekhyun has great self control, and he has the strong protective instinct to never harm his beloved. Once he felt full, Baekhyun drew back.

"Can't blame me. I had to sacrifice my sleep in order to give some powerful witch the hot vampirish he wants." Baekhyun mumbled as he wiped off the witch's blood off the side of his mouth before his thumb, not wanting to waste even a single drop of that sweet coppery liquid.

"Well, it's not like you didn't want a magical night with me."

"Playing around with the innuendos are we?"

"Touché, vampire."

The two of them laughed, then grew silent. Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun adoringly as he his cheek. Baekhyun leaned into Kyungsoo's touch. Both of them suddenly felt a wrenching feeling in their heart, because they knew that that should never fall in love. A witch and a vampire was never meant to be.

A witch is the servant of nature, upholding all the laws of the Earth and abiding its will to severe any chains of disruption to the nature. On the other hand, a vampire is an abomination of nature, created by a dark witch named Esther a thousand years ago with her own selfish agenda of protecting her family. Being vampires, they could never die and has the ability to transcend through time with their dead body that never grow old; unless one were to stake them or burn their body.

And at New Orleans, it was even worst as the two factions are at war; a century long war with no peace being seen or employed.

Kyungsoo leaned in to kiss Baekhyun once more. The vampire could smell the desire and taste the longing of the witch, he moaned softly as he felt the other's tongue against his.

"I should go," Baekhyun grunted in between kisses.

"Then go, no one is asking for you to stay," Kyungsoo said, but his action speaks otherwise.

Reluctantly, Baekhyun pulled away. "I'll see you soon."

"Yeah," Kyungsoo said softly.

Then, he was all alone in his room.

---

The ringing of the bell. The creak of the old wooden frames.

Kyungsoo looked up from his cashier counter and saw a lady walking towards him. The young witch swallow a gasp as the lady stood in front of him in a not so confident way. He narrows his eyes and felt it again.

The howl and the full moon.

"May I help you?" Kyungsoo asked in a small voice, not sure if the other was an enemy or just a usual customer.

The lady shifted uncomfortably in front of him before starting. "I-I just need some tiny little herb."

"Sure, what is it?" The witch cocked up his brows.

"Crushed acronut flower?" Now Kyungsoo is surprised.

"Wolvesbane? That's poison," Kyungsoo sent out a mental wave to scan the lady. She was telling the truth. And there was something else about it. 

She is pregnant.

"You shouldn't be here..." Kyungsoo says, glancing at her belly. The lady noticed and laughed.

"You shouldn't be saying things like that to me. I am an alpha, and I'm going to kill this abomination in my tummy, which is enough to proof that I am a vicious person. You should be afraid." She replied suavely, putting on a strong front to mask her shaking spirit.

Kyungsoo sighed. "I'll get you what you want." He turns around and rummaged through his herbs counter and picked out a small bottle of essence before turning back to the werewolf. "Here you go. Two drops in a glass of water should do the job."

The lady took over the bottle from Kyungsoo. She studies the label. Gratitude flashes over her face for a moment, but it was soon gone and back to her stoic expression. "How much-"

"It's free. Just take it." Kyungsoo smiles.

The lady smiled for the first time that morning and left.

Kyungsoo wondered if he had just done a good deed after she left.

---

That afternoon.

The door to his shop opened, and Kyungsoo instantly smiled. That presence, he could sense it anywhere.

"Hey Baekkie!" He turned around and sees Baekhyun fidgeting nervously in front of him.

"Hey Soo," Baekhyun said in an uneasy tone. And that was when the witch realizes that they were not alone.

Behind Baekhyun, there was a lumbering figure that was examining some chains and necklaces. Kyungsoo's sixth sense told him that the other is also another vampire. An old one. Probably as old as Kris. He gulps nervously.

"That one's filled with marigold. It's good in attracting the opposite ," Kyungsoo said as cheerily as he could, trying to mask his nervousness. The figure just turned around and flashed Kyungsoo a wide smile which did nothing in calming Kyungsoo's already strayed nerve.

"Oh, I don't swing that way," the old vampire said. "I am looking for something else in fact. Wolvesbane. Ever heard of it?" 

Kyungsoo inhaled a sharp breath. The vampire knows.

"Wolvesbane? Why would you want that-"

Just before he could finish his sentence,  the vampire appeared in front of him and grabbed him by his collar.

"Don't hurt him Chanyeol!" Baekhyun screams in horror.

"Don't play around with me, witch," the vampire, Chanyeol, spat. His foul breath dancing across Kyungsoo's pallor cheeks. Kyungsoo shivered as he sees the vampire's eyes turning red. "Where is she? Why was she here? Are you witches forming an alliance with the werewolves in attempt to overthrow us vampires?"

"I-I don't know-"

Chanyeol effortlessly lifted Kyungsoo up and slammed his petite body down onto the counter, before dragging his body across it, pushing jars of herbs off the rack. He bared his fangs at the young witch.

"I just sold the werewolf some herbs, that's all!" Kyungsoo shrieks. He looks over to Baekhyun for help, but Baekhyun is obviously no match for the giant vampire that his holding him down. The vampire looks older and far more stronger than Baekhyun.

"B-baek!" Kyungsoo squeaks when Chanyeol's hand tightened around his neck.

"Just answer the question Soo!" Baekhyun screamed, borderline panic.

Chanyeol then smiles sardonically as he lifted Kyungsoo's body once more and threw him on the ground. Chanyeol randomly plucked out a voodoo doll's needle from a charm before kneeling down to his level and presses the cold needle against his neck.

"Shall I count to three?"

Kyungsoo felt the needle slowly sinking into his neck.

"S-she was pregnant! She bought Wolvesbane to kill off the child in her body! I don't know who she is, what's her name, or where she's headed to!" Kyungsoo shouted out all at once, tears forming by the corner of his eyes. The vampire studied him for a moment. Deeming that Kyungsoo told the truth, he let Kyungsoo go.

"There. That wasn't so hard was it?" Chanyeol dusted his palms before heading out of the shop. "Baekhyun, let's go wolf hunting. They aren't supposed to set even a foot in here after all."

Baekhyun looked over to Kyungsoo's frail body on the ground. They made eye contact, but Baekhyun turned around and followed the vampire. Kyungsoo was sobbing silently as he watches Baekhyun leave.

---

That night, as Kyungsoo closes his shop, a figure approached him.

"Boo." Kyungsoo jumped. Turning around, he saw that familiar figure of his fellow witch.

"Junmyeon... Not funny! I've got attacked by a vampire this afternoon and I'm still paranoid and jumpy about it!" Kyungsoo scolded as he whacked the older witch's arm. 

"Well, you shouldn't be afraid of vampires seeing that your cute boyfriend is one." Junmyeon jokes, causing the younger witch to hit him again, even harder this time. The witch that was being hit laughed a little, but turning serious quickly. He looked down onto the ground, then up again. Kyungsoo knew that something was wrong.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Kyungsoo asked. Junmyeon sighed.

"The Elders called upon a meeting. They are proceeding with the Harvesting Thrall." 

This was news to Kyungsoo.

"What?!"

"Yes, but my mother called on a vote, and most of them voted for it to happen on the next full moon."

"This is insane! The next full moon is only two days away!" Kyungsoo exclaimed. "And who are selected to participate in it?!"

Junmyeon looked at Kyungsoo with a hesitant look. The older witch fell silent, and the entire street became so quiet as if everyone chose that moment to hold in a collective breath. You could literally hear a pin drop then. Kyungsoo didn't have to be a telepath to know his answer. 

"You and me."

---

"But mom-"

"No Kyungsoo, it is an honor."

"This is insane!"

"No it's not. Participating in the Harvesting Thrall is an honor! It is your duty for being a descendant to Dyo, one of the most powerful witches in the history of witches!"

"But mom, I'm too young to get married! And I don't want to! I am not in love with Junmyeon! I don't want my marriage to be a matrimony ritual between families in order to contribute to keeping the ancestral magic flowing within us! This isn't my duty, this is-"

"It is your duty. It is your fate. It is an honor! By contributing to the ritual, you two young souls would build a powerful force of magic that would flow through your body as you mate, and appease the ancestors so that they will keep the ancestral magic flowing within us! These are desperate times, Kyungsoo! We need this to overcome the growing forces of the vampires! The ancestors chose you-"

"Yeah, but they also chose Suho and Dyo!"

"Don't you dare mention the name of that rogue witch!" His mother screams. The air around them suddenly thickens with magic. Strong breezes blew all over the place, blowing papers everywhere. Then, as the wind settles down, Mrs Do started speaking again in a softer tone.

"They did chose Suho and Dyo a hundred years ago. But it was a mistake, Kyungsoo. And you of all people should know that." His mother sounded tired, but Kyungsoo wasn't ready to give in.

"Yes, I know the history of it all! Suho fell in love with a vampire who is the head of the vampire faction right now in the city, I get it okay? And guess what, I am in love with a vampire too! You don't want history to repeat itself-"

Kyungsoo felt a tight slap graze his cheek. He turned slowly and faces his mother, just to see the older woman with her arm outstretched. He felt tears welling up in his eyes. He knew it; he enraged his mother. To his mother, he was always the wild and rebellious child. His mother only loves his brother. Unlike Kyungsoo, Seungsoo was always the pride of the family, the loyal keeper of the faith. Standing next to him, it often makes Kyungsoo wonder if his parents ever loved him.

"You will break up with him, or I will kill him while you watch." His mother trembled.

Kyungsoo felt his heart being torn into pieces. "Don't I even get a say in this?" He asks weakly. He is sick and tired of all these witch stuff. It drives him crazy, enough to make him think what would happen if he hadn't been a witch, much less from a powerful bloodline.

"No. As a matter of fact, you don't."

With that, his mother left him alone, crying in the room.

---

Baekhyun heard him before he came.

Jolting to his door while smiling brightly, he yanked it wide open, and immediately, the small figure rushed up against him, hugging him tightly. Baekhyun closes the door with one hand and hugged the other. That's when he realizes that the smaller boy is crying.

"Soo, what's wrong?" Baekhyun asked as he tilted the other's tear-stricken face towards him. The young witch's eyes are puffy, and his nose red as if he had been crying since forever. Kyungsoo hiccuped as he clung onto Baekhyun desperately as if he never wants to let the vampire go, ever.

"Soo, if it's about this afternoon, I'm sorry okay? Chanyeol is an ally, and I can't possibly fight him. You know Kris's rules, vampires must never ever fight with one another. Although I may be Kris's right-hand man, but Chanyeol is like Kris's brother," Baekhyun says as he rubbed the other's head adoringly.

"It's not about that," Kyungsoo sobbed even harder as he buries his face deeper into Baekhyun's shirt. Oh, the musky scent of the vampire. Kyungsoo loves it so much. But he just have to end this here and now.

"Let's break up."

As Kyungsoo said those words, Baekhyun stilled. The silence between them swells and surround them so much that their breathing was like the loudest thing in the world. Baekhyun chuckles slowly and cautiously.

"A-are you kidding me? You are trying to get back at me for-"

"It is not about that!" Kyungsoo exclaims as he pushes the vampire away.

Baekhyun frowned. "Then what is it about? Talk to me Kyungsoo, tell me!"

"We are not meant to be. We can never be together."

"But I'm in love with you, Soo. I'm in love with a witch! And that is how much control you have over me!"

"And I am too, and that's why I am here now, and that is how much control you have over me!"

The two of them stood about a meter apart, breathing heavily.

"I don't want to see you hurt," Kyungsoo rasps out.

"I-I don't understand." Baekhyun said, feeling as confused as ever.

"Being with me only will get you hurt."

"But why?"

"You don't have to know why, because after tonight, none of this will matter anymore."

"Soo, why? I love you Soo, I love you so much-"

"Shut up!" Kyungsoo shrieks. His wild untamed powers went off for a moment, causing two lightbulbs in the room to fuse. He then stood there, catching his breath. "I love you too... But we just can't..."

"Why? I thought it has always been you and me against the world... What changed?"

"The Harvesting Thrall... I am a part of it..." Kyungsoo said, looking away shamefully.

Baekhyun looked aghast. "What do you mean...no...it can't be..." Baekhyun took a step towards the younger and tried to hold him, but the witch pushed him away weakly. Baekhyun tried looking into the other's eyes, but Kyungsoo kept avoiding his gaze. "We can fix this. Let's run-"

"You don't understand! I can't run!" Kyungsoo cries. "This is my legacy, it is my fate!"

Baekhyun felt tears slowly dripping off the edge of his chin. He stares at the witch, his beautiful boy... Oh, how much Baekhyun couldn't bear to part with his love...

"You know... I always tells people how much I am in love with a witch. And they all laughed at me. I thought we could prove them wrong by staying together through it all," Baekhyun wiped his tears away. That action made Kyungsoo's heart clench even more.

"I am in love with you too Baekhyun... But-"

"It's your duty and all... I get it, okay?" The vampire reaches out his hand to caress the other's soft skin by his cheek. "But if only we could have something more; if only we lived some place far from all these supernatural crap. Maybe we could have been soulmates."

"We are soulmates, we just ain't from the right time." Kyungsoo said with his eyes closed as he felt broken all over by the thought of it.

"One night. Let's have this one last night. Let's forget everything that is going to happen and have this one last night of peace." Baekhyun said as he leaned down towards the witch's lips.

"One night," Kyungsoo whispered against Baekhyun's lips. "One last night as if nothing ever happened."

They joined together, into one single entity for that moment. Magic sparks off their body as they kissed. They were meant to be, but the forces of nature is against them, and they are just two pawns in a war they never wanted to fight. As Baekhyun deepens the kiss, Kyungsoo keened into his lips. In a flash, Baekhyun carried Kyungsoo and dumped him onto his bed.

Kyungsoo lay sprawled as Baekhyun took off his clothes in quick succession. The witch eyes the other as the vampire uses his body to cover his own smaller ones. They stared deeply into each other's eyes, breathing heavily.

One last night.

---

Kyungsoo woke up feeling like a flotsam in a warm stream, drifting and flowing slowly through the meanders. He slowly opens his eyes. The afterglow of the previous night evident on his pale skin. In front of him, there lay Baekhyun. He was completely still, with a small frown etched into his brows as he sleeps.

Their night was long over. 

Kyungsoo shifted lightly on the bed as he leans down to give the vampire a kiss on his lips.

"Goodbye Baekhyun."

He stood up and dressed himself. Kyungsoo made hurried steps towards the door, hoping to leave before the other wakes up. But just as Kyungsoo reaches the door and yank it open, a hand shot out behind him and slammed it shut. He looks over his shoulder and saw Baekhyun breathing heavily behind him.

"Don't go... Please... Don't go... We can fix this... We can run far away from this war-stricken town... We could live the life we wanted... We can have our happily ever after..." Baekhyun panted as he hugs Kyungsoo tightly from the back. Kyungsoo could feel the vampire's hot tears drenching his shoulder, and felt his own rising within him.

"Oh dear ancestors, you're the ones that put me into this mess, so please give me the strength to do this," Kyungsoo prayed silently. He turns around to face Baekhyun, eyes teary, holding out a hand to caress Baekhyun's cheek which the vampire eagerly leaned into, before whispering.

"Modus..."

A powerful force caught Baekhyun by his head and socked him squarely in the face before flinging him to the other end of the room, smashing a Venetian lamp in the process. Baekhyun looked up at Kyungsoo who regarded him with a forlorn gaze mixed with bitterness and shame.

"I can't do this anymore than you could Baekhyun, so the least you could do is to let me go," Kyungsoo said softly before turning his back on Baekhyun once again and left for good this time.

---

"Kris!" 

Baekhyun bellowed as he burst into the compound.

The said vampire looked up from his crumbling parchment and smiled. "Baekhyun! Just the man I was looking for! Hurry, come take a seat, the meeting was just about to start." Swallowing, Baekhyun took long strides and sat beside Kris on the long table.

"I believe you have news for us." Kris said, and Baekhyun nodded.

"The witches are planning a move against us. They are proceeding with the Harvesting Thrall tomorrow night."

An outburst of murmurs swept over the long tables. Some vampires paled, while others are in distress.

"They are going to call on their ancestors for power. It could strengthen them so much that they could eventually override our forces. They are preparing for war," Kris said quietly as the murmuring stopped. By his side, Chanyeol glanced over at Kris.

"So what are we gonna do?" Chanyeol asked.

"Well, there is only one thing we can do."

A sleek and smooth voice joined in the discussion. In an instant, all attention was directed towards the newcomer who was standing on the second level of the compound. Baekhyun's eyes widened a little as he saw that it was Kai, Chanyeol's newly turned vampire boyfriend. Being a young night walker, it sure is daring of him to have the audacity to interrupt the council's meeting.

"What do you say we do then?" Kris asked.

Kai only smirked as he jumped off the railing to the ground level and strutted towards Chanyeol to put a hand on his older boyfriend's shoulders. Chanyeol frowned at Kai who only gave him a squeeze of reassurance. What Kai said next made Baekhyun's blood freeze.

"We attack on ritual night and kill them all."

---

"Hey."

Kyungsoo looked up from his dresser into his mirror and saw Junmyeon standing by the door behind him.

"Hey." Kyungsoo replied.

Junmyeon took a step towards Kyungsoo slowly.

"How are you holding up?" Junmyeon asked.

Kyungsoo sighed. "Not well. But I'm pretty sure that you aren't too. I mean, it's just so weird."

"Everything is weird," Junmyeon chuckles. "I mean, you are my best friend, and Baekhyun is your epic love."

Kyungsoo turned around and faced Junmyeon. "Hey, I know you didn't want this as much as I didn't want this. I mean, what gives them the right to strip us from the lives we both wanted and throw us together for this weird tradition?"

"Yeah, talk about freedom rights." Junmyeon said. They both laughed for a moment before turning silent once more.

"Can I tell you a secret?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Sure, why not, since we're gonna get...married." Junmyeon winced at his own choice of word.

Kyungsoo inhaled a sharp breath.

"I broke up with him last night."

"What? Wow, that's fast."

"Then I had with him."

"Oh..."

"Post break up."

"Ew."

"I know, right?" Kyungsoo said sadly. "It was our last night together. I almost couldn't bear to leave him that I have to push him away. A little too harshly if I might add."

"I know how you feel. If it was me?" Junmyeon scoffed. "I would have broke down and died. You are strong Kyungsoo, and I applaud you for that." Kyungsoo could only smile.

Then, Kyungsoo heard someone knocking at his window.

"Soo, please open up!"

Baekhyun's desperate voice came rushing into the room. Kyungsoo gasped lightly, but did not move. Junmyeon side glances Kyungsoo, walked towards the balcony and slides open the door.

"Soo- Junmyeon." Baekhyun scowls.

"He doesn't wants to see you." Junmyeon says coldly.

"He has to! There is something you guys should know-"

"Go away."

"Please Junmyeon, just let me talk to-"

"Misquiero Fursace..." 

Baekhyun's arm suddenly caught fire. The vampire started screaming as he tried to extinguish the flames as fire is the only element that could kill a vampire without needing to drive a stake through their hearts. Then, the flames disappeared as soon as they were started. Baekhyun looked up and saw Junmyeon eyeing him coldly.

"Leave, or I will turn you into ash," the witch spat.

"B-but the ritual will go wrong-"

"We have both came to an understanding," Junmyeon said. "We have learnt to decipher what is reality. There is no happily ever after crap when we are supernaturals. It's time you learnt the same thing. So now go, or I will certainly burn you alive."

Baekhyun looked passed Junmyeon's shoulder and saw Kyungsoo's back facing him.

"Soo, you have to listen-"

"Expulsify!" Kyungsoo turned around with his arms outstretched. Baekhyun's face contorted in pain and suddenly a force rammed into his chest, flinging him off the building and send him flying through the French Quarter. As the last of the vampire is out of the French Quarter, Junmyeon turned around and looked at Kyungsoo, wide eyed.

"Well that wasn't offensively hurtful at all," Junmyeon said, incredulous.

"He's a vampire. He'll heal. And it's the only way to get him away from here."

Kyungsoo turned back, hiding his tears from the older witch.

---

"That was a rather power magical display. A little too explosive for my taste, if I might add."

A sleek voice, the very same that suggested the slaughter of the witches, said. Baekhyun didn't even have to look up to see who it was.

"What do you want," Baekhyun said, irritably.

"I want nothing," Kai said. "Just wanted to make sure that you didn't betray us by telling the witches of our massacring plans. Well, it certainly seems to me that you didn't even get to talk to that witchy Juliet of yours, seeing that the petite looking witch had such a temper; flinging you half a mile away from his balcony with a simple spell alone."

"What happened between him and me has nothing to do with you," Baekhyun snarls.

Kai laughed cynically. "Oh sure it didn't have anything to do with me." Kai slowly knelt down to face Baekhyun. "But it would tomorrow night. Such a powerful witch, I couldn't even begin to fathom how delicious his blood would taste like." Kai his lips and it sickens Baekhyun to his deepest core.

"Stay away from him, or I will make you pay." Baekhyun bit out.

Kai smirked. "You and what army?"

"Challenging a member of the council while you're just a merely expendable night walker. I'll give you points for bravery." Baekhyun spat.

"Well, since you're a member of the council, you shouldn't have dated a witch. It could be very misleading and someone could accidentally let slipped that you are conspiring with the witches to overthrow the vampires for your own twisted happily ever after fairytale. And oh, I do wonder who would be the collateral damage in this situation? I do think that cute looking witch would certainly be one of them." Kai chuckles.

"Don't you dare..." 

"Oh I obviously don't," Kai mocked. "But then again, if it really happens, I wonder who would suffer the consequences of your forbidden love. I can't wait to find out."

Baekhyun grew silent as his eyes turned red with anger.

"Uh uh uh, Baekkie is angry. Are you gonna kill me? Because if you do, then you'll surely be accused of conspiring with the witches and thus breaking Kris's top two most important rules which are, I'll recap for you in case you've forgotten, 'a vampire can never fight with another vampire' and 'vampires must never make secret plans with a witch', if you broke any of those, I'm guessing you would be banished from the compound, and thus leaving your witch all to me." Kai smirked.

"You already have Chanyeol, lay off my boyfriend," Baekhyun snarls.

"But not anymore, he just broke up with you," Kai smirked before leaving the heartbroken vampire alone to grieve.

---

Ritual Night.

Kyungsoo shivered as he was led out of the tomb in a pure white gown as if he was a princess.

His skin began to crawl as watchful eyes behind their masks stares at him as he made his way to the altar in the hearth of the ancient cemetery filled with his ancestors and ancestresses bones. His heart thundered against his rib cage as if screaming a warning out to him.

Don't go there Kyungsoo.

He hears a little voice in his head shouting at him. As Kyungsoo glances through his veil, he saw Junmyeon standing at the opposite end of the altar, also cladded in white from top to toe. He could see Junmyeon fidgeting rather nervously as they made their way towards each other.

"Tonight, we shall bond these two souls together and appease the spirits, to strengthen our bonds with them and keep our powers flowing," the coven's high priestess, Kyungsoo's mother, spoke. "We beseech them to accept our offerings as a sign of our faith."

"Blessed be." The coven echoed.

Get out.

The little voice in Kyungsoo's head grew a little louder as his mother put a blade in the fire before him.

"Earth that connects us to our ancestors, Water to heal our community, Wind to carry us back and forth, and Fire to cleanse our souls," Kyungsoo's mother said. "Blood against blood and we shall be reborn once more."

"Blessed be."

Get out of there Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo tries to ignore the voice in his head as he held out his right palm over the fire. His mother took the blade out of the flames and slashed Junmyeon's palm first, before slashing Kyungsoo's small ones. Both young witches winced in pain, but bit back their whimpers.

"When their blood joins in hand, so do the two strongest family of the quarter. With their blood, we rekindle anew," Kyungsoo's mother said as the two witches places their cut palms against each other. They felt feverish as magic started growing between their mingled blood.

GET. OUT.

The voice is now screaming in Kyungsoo's head as his mother raises the dagger towards him.

"To be reborn, we must sacrifice-"

The high priestess was cut short when a loud whistle was sounded in a distance. The flames at the altar extinguished due to the lack of concentration of the high priestess. Laughing and figures leaping off the roofs of the tombs made the witches screamed in horror. Everything was in a blur, mixtures of horrified shrieks and immediate chanting of the witches filled the air.

Kyungsoo stood there hand in hand with Junmyeon, not knowing what to do before his brain even registered what is happening.

The vampires were massacring the witches.

On his right, he saw a male vampire drinking straight from the neck of a young girl. And on his left he saw five witches cornering two helpless vampires as they set the undead on fire. Chaos was everywhere, and the acrid smell of burnt flesh as well as the scent of blood assaulted his nose. This is war.

Junmyeon was the first of the two of them to break from their trance. He pulled his arm away from Kyungsoo and began screaming spells, sending heat waves towards the advancing vampires that were proceeding to attack the two of them, incinerating them into ashes. Kyungsoo stood there. He just stood there, blood filled with raging power from the ritual and not knowing how to control it.

Behind him, he heard a gasp. And turning around, he saw his own mother being cornered by a tall and dark vampire. As the vampire lowered down and sank his fangs into his mother, Kyungsoo went frenzied.

"No! Mother!" Kyungsoo screamed as he picked up the ritual dagger and flung it towards the pair with his magic. The vampire heard the whizzing of the deadly metal through the air and immediately turned around and used the high priestess as a shield. Kyungsoo's face was horrified as he stares at the dagger his mother used to cut his palm not few minutes ago, now deeply embedded in her heaving chest.

"Kyung...soo..." His mother croaked weakly before her body turned limp.

The vampire that was holding onto his mother dropped her body aside casually as he began to make his way to the young witch. In the moment of fear and panic, Kyungsoo forgotten all the magic that he had once learnt. He could hear his ancestors communing with him, filling him with power and willing him to fight back, but he just couldn't. A few feet away from him, he saw Junmyeon setting vampires on fire and driving magical stakes through their heart effortlessly, but the other witch was too far away to help him. And when he turns back, the vampire was already right in front of him.

"Hello little witch, I have heard a lot about you," the vampire smirked, his eyes turned red from bloodlust and his fangs lengthened.

When the vampire sank down to bite him, Kyungsoo screamed once more.

---

A few hours before the war started, Baekhyun was back at the compound with Kris.

Baekhyun was kneeling down before the leader of the vampire faction. His eyes b with tears as he choked on his words, begging for the leader to stop the attacks, but Kris only eyed him with such cold, piercing gaze.

"Please Kris... Kyungsoo is-"

"What is between you and that witch has nothing to do with me."

"But-"

"This is war, Baekhyun. And war means casualties," Kris said coldly.

"I know what is war. But is all these worth it?" Baekhyun cried.

"It is for me," Kris said softly. "So now, you either help me or get out of my sight." The older vampire stood up and swept away from the room in an instant.

Baekhyun has to do something.

He has to do something before it was all too late.

---

When Baekhyun reached the cemetery, the war had already started.

Kyungsoo... That was the only thing that was on his mind as he scurried through the battlefield, finding that one person he yearns. Nothing must happen to Kyungsoo. He must find the younger and fled with him before anybody else notices.

Just as Baekhyun reaches the hearth of the cemetery, he saw that Junmyeon was killing vampires on sight.

"Junmyeon-" Baekhyun started, and that's when he saw it.

Behind Junmyeon, Kai was slowly advancing on Kyungsoo. He saw his beloved turned and look at Junmyeon for help, but the older witch already has his hands full. And when he turned back, Kai was standing within hair breadth with him. When Kai leaned down and sank his teeth into Kyungsoo's neck, Baekhyun went over the edge of fury.

"No!" Baekhyun shouted as he dashed towards Kai. Pulling the younger vampire off the witch, he flung the other to the ground and immediately straddled him and sent a few punches flying in his face. Kai's face was contorted with pain as Baekhyun landed punch, socking in him the jaw making it dislocate.

"T-traitor!" Kai gasped as he tried to fight back, but Baekhyun was older and stronger than him. The older vampire spied a stake lying within an arm's range, and quickly took it within his hands.

"Go to hell," Baekhyun said coldly as he drives the stake through Kai's heart. The took out the stake and plunged it down into his sternum repeatedly with cold, unblinking eyes, channeling all of his hatred with each stab. It wasn't until Kai's body started to slowly desiccate when Baekhyun rose up from his fallen body.

"No one hurts my love and live," Baekhyun said. "No one."

---

Everything was bizarre after Baekhyun killed Kai.

The vampires immediately ceased fire as Baekhyun let the stake dropped to the ground. The witches suffered immense loss, and was greatly weakened, thus they also stopped their attacks. Chanyeol dashed towards Kai's fallen body on the ground, hugging him while screaming for him to not die. Kyungsoo stared at Baekhyun horrifically as he held the punctured wounds on his neck.

That was when Kris stepped forward from the crowd. A tear in his eyes as he looked at Baekhyun with hurt and betrayal swimming in his eyes. The leader of the vampires gulped. Chanyeol looked up at Kris while sobbing hard while hugging Kai's mutilated body.

"Seize him. Bring him back to the compound. We will judge him there," Kris said in a harsh whisper.

"No, Baek!" Kyungsoo dashed towards Baekhyun, but Junmyeon held him back.

"This is vampire business Soo, don't interrupt."

Baekhyun glances at Kyungsoo who had his arms outstretched towards him.

Then, the vampires took him away.

---

"What did you do. I want to hear your side of the story."

"He attacked Kyungsoo! He went after him as if-"

"He is a witch! And Kai was a vampire! There was no reasons why he shouldn't!"

"But I loved him!" 

"This is war, Baekhyun."

"I loved...him," Baekhyun said softly as a tear slipped by his face. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Sorry won't bring him back." Another cold voice cuts in. 

Baekhyun turned and saw Chanyeol standing there. His eyes were swollen and red.

"Chanyeol-"

"What is his sentence?" Chanyeol asked coldly, cutting Baekhyun off.

Kris looked at Baekhyun before him before punching the wall. "Damn it Baek. This wasn't what I expected from you when I turned you a hundred and eleven years ago. You're my right-hand, bud."

"I know, and I am so sorry-"

"What, is his sentence, Kris?" Chanyeol asked again. "He broke the top two of your rules."

Kris sighed as he pinches his nose bridge. "I...you decide, Chanyeol."

"Okay," Chanyeol said while he moved to stand in front of the kneeling Baekhyun. 

"Death would be too easy for this traitor. I hereby sentence him to be banished to the Garden of Solitude for three hundred years with no access to blood."

---

"Stop crying, Soo," Junmyeon said.

Rivulets of tears flowed endlessly down Kyungsoo's cherubic cheeks as he consecrated his mother's remains. His father and brother was tending to the injured community back in the French Quarter, and he was tasked with consecrating the fallen of the night to absorb their power.

"I can't," Kyungsoo sniffled as he leaned down and kissed his mother tenderly on the forehead.

"This is war, and war means collateral damages," Junmyeon sighed. "And tonight, there were more than one, and more would soon to come. And that includes the vampire side."

Kyungsoo stood up from his mother's body and sprinkled water over her grave before turning around to face Junmyeon.

"I know you think Baekhyun is a monster-"

"It's not about what I think," Junmyeon said. "He killed another vampire. He has broken Kris's biggest rule. You will never see him again." At the older witch's words, Kyungsoo cried even louder. Kyungsoo sobbed so hard that he fell to his knees, gripping at the ground.

Then, Junmyeon kneeled down to his level. "Unless we do something."

Kyungsoo looked up at Junmyeon. "We?" He asked, and Junmyeon nodded.

"Yes. We. We are in thrall now, and we have powers we can never ever imagined!" Junmyeon exclaimed.

"B-but..."

"I want to save our people, and you want to save Baekhyun," Junmyeon gripped onto Kyungsoo's shoulder, hard as he looked into his eyes with such intent. "And there is only one way we can do both."

---

Kyungsoo and Junmyeon knelt in front of the oldest tomb in the cemetery. The very tomb that held all the bones of the witches from Kyungsoo's bloodline. The strongest bloodline of all.

Kyungsoo wiped away his tears as he took out a sack of black tar salt and sprinkled it around in a perfect circle, before drawing the sigils with them. Beside him, Junmyeon took out a voodoo doll and anointed it with rosemary oil before passing it to Kyungsoo.

The younger witch took over the doll and gave it a kiss, breathing into it.

"By linking you with the doll, I could channel you with all the power from the tomb from here while you go and save Baekhyun." Junmyeon said softly. While Kyungsoo nodded.

"You ready?" The older witch asked.

Another nod.

They closed their eyes and started chanting as ancient magic began coursing through their blood.

---

Baekhyun felt numbed as the vampires dragged him out of the compound.

Their filthy nightwalker hands gripping hard into his arms as they dragged him along. In front of him stood Kris, and beside him was Chanyeol. They both stride down the dark streets as if they were the Kings. Baekhyun felt sick. He didn't have the chance to say goodbye to Kyungsoo.

Just then, wind began rushing down the streets. A loud chanting voice was heard as a small figure approaches the group of vampires. Baekhyun could recognize that voice everywhere. Before them, Kyungsoo strolled towards them with his arms wide opened. His eyes were closed and his blood was roiling with magic that Baekhyun had never felt before.

"Saela un qua tela"

Kyungsoo chanted as he began to raise his arms towards the group.

"Soo, no-"

With a wave of his arms, all the vampires grunted as their limbs were severed all at once. Kris and Chanyeol were hit the hardest as they fell down to the ground. Magic filled the air as Baekhyun felt a burning sensation in his brains. Kyungsoo was attacking all of them. Street lights fused, sparks flew in the air and the incessant wind blew.

From the side, a vampire charged out of the compound and flew towards Kyungsoo in hopes of killing the witch, only to be flung away even further with another wave of his arms. Kyungsoo turned and stared at Kris with his cold, deadly eyes. The vampires ears were all ringing from Kyungsoo's display of power and their eyes started lolling back when Kyungsoo began to fry their brains.

Kris gritted his teeth as he stood up against Kyungsoo's force, but Kyungsoo wasn't having any of that. With another grunt, Kyungsoo shoved another wave of magic into Kris, making him bow down once more.

Kyungsoo chanted as he kept the vampires down on their knees. Kris struggled once more, only to get pushed down again and again by the witch. Then, Kyungsoo stopped chanting for a moment. Slowly, Kris stood up.

"You're trying to save your man huh? Well come on you little witch!" Kris shouted as he charged. Kyungsoo's brows furrowed as he clenches his fist, making Kris fall once more.

"It's time for you to die you son of a ," Kyungsoo said as he raised the stake in his hand.

"No, Soo!" Baekhyun shouted, but the witch paid no heed.

Then, suddenly Kyungsoo gasped.

He felt it.

His source of power was suddenly cut off.

The stake dropped from his hand, and in an instant, Kyungsoo's body was on fire.

---

Back at the tomb.

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo, you are one of the collateral damages. I did what I have to do," Junmyeon said softly as he kissed the voodoo doll on the forehead. "Rest in peace will you?"

In his hands, the doll slowly caught fire and burned. And as it burns, Junmyeon used a knife and cut the doll's throat, from which a dark red substances flowed out and into a goblet. Then, Junmyeon set the doll down and picked up the cup and drank from it. He choked for a moment, before he started laughing.

His body emitted a soft glow for a moment as his skin was charged with magic. Sighing happily, the witch stood up and walked out of the cemetery, sidestepping Seungsoo and Mr Do's dead and mutilated body as he left.

---

"No... No... No!" Baekhyun cried as he crawled towards Kyungsoo's burnt body on the ground. "Please, no..."

Kris picked up the stake that Kyungsoo dropped as he watched Baekhyun hug the witch's burnt body while crying hard. It would be heartless to say that Kris didn't feel anything for Baekhyun's loss. In his opinion, Baekhyun deserved it.

"Just tell me this," Kris said softly. "Was he worth it?"

At the vampire leader's words, Baekhyun slowly let go of Kyungsoo's dead body. He stood up shakily as his eyes were red-rimmed and he was breathing heavily.

"I loved him," Baekhyun whispered as he stared blankly at Kris.

After saying that, Baekhyun ran towards Kris and staked himself with the piece of wood in Kris's hand.

The leader was shocked as he pushed Baekhyun away, but it was too late. The stake had already drove through his heart, and his body was beginning to desiccate. 

"No!" Kris bellowed as Baekhyun fell to the ground, next to Kyungsoo while smiling.

---

It was the love between a vampire and a witch that taught the factions a grave lesson.

It was their tragic love story that brought light to this senseless war.

If only there were no war, the two young souls would still have been alive and well.

It was said that after Kyungsoo's death, Junmyeon mysteriously disappeared along with Seungsoo and the witch's father. It was known that Kyungsoo's mother died during the Ritual Night, killed by a vampire. The other ritual witch's location was nowhere to be found. And without a high priestess or coven leader, the witch community was spiraling quickly enough.

Also, after Baekhyun's death, Chanyeol left New Orleans along with a huge group of vampires who said that they could no longer stand living in a warring city where vampires and witches were at an unending feud. Kris was left alone with a quarter of the vampire, thus greatly weakening their forces in the city.

It was one of the nights when Kris felt the most regretful and melancholic about not giving Baekhyun, his best right-hand, the happiness that he wanted. He should have listened and not attacked the witches then.

Kris sighed as he poured himself another drink.

"Sublimating, I see," a rich velvety voice said behind him.

Turning around, Kris saw Junmyeon standing there, smirking at him.

"What are you doing here? I heard that you went AWOL on the witches," Kris said.

"I came to see you."

"And to what do I own the pleasure?"

Junmyeon laughed as he walked towards Kris. He put a hand on the vampire's shoulder as he began to sit down on his lap. Kris was confused, but as he tried to push Junmyeon off him, he realizes that he could no longer move his limbs.

"What's happening-"

"Oh dear Yifan," Junmyeon laughed loudly. "My lost love."

Kris froze. No one ever knew his real name. No one.

Except for...

"Suho..." Kris said softly.

Suho smirked. "Seems like you're still pretty smart after all these years."

"H-how is this possible?" Kris frowned.

"Well, you see. I wasn't the Elder Witch back in the 1900s for nothing," Suho said. "After I escaped from ritual night and before I tried to elope with you, I casted a safety net spell for me. What if I died that night? What if somebody or something killed me then? So I casted a body jump spell which would forcefully put my essence into someone else's body if my mortal body dies."

"W-what-"

"Oh Yifan, I've been watching you for over a century after you killed me. I must admit, taking over Junmyeon's body is a great surprise for me, seeing that he is my doppelgänger after all," Suho said. "But you loved seeing me in this body don't you? He has the exact same curves as me back in the days."

"Why are you here?" Kris gulps.

"For revenge, what else?" Suho laughed. "I was waiting for the Harvesting Thrall to steal the Do's power. Well, now I have all their power. Being in thrall to Kyungsoo, gave me access to his family's bloodline and ooh, their magic was so great and powerful but in order to have them all, all of them has to die, and so the magic of their bloodline would be channeled to me who was in thrall with Kyungsoo."

"So you killed them." Kris said. "You killed the witch and his family. How diabolical of you."

"So I killed them. Kyungsoo was just collateral damage, and come on, let's face it. What's worth dying for, if not love?" Suho admitted. "I killed tons of other people too. Such as Lay back in 1970s who you slept you, I burned him alive. And Tao from a few years back? I drowned him at the place where we had our first kiss."

"So why didn't I ever see you around before?" Kris's questioned as he tries to mask his nervousness.,

"Oh you did see me around," Suho said. "But I was just wearing a different face then."

"And why do you return?" Kris asked as his voice gets smaller and smaller.

Suho leaned towards his face. "For this."

He pressed their lips together and Suho began at Kris's lips, biting it. Kris was keening into the witch's lips, and he couldn't suppress the groan that fell off his tongue onto the other's. Then, suddenly the vampire felt a pain in his chest.

Kris pulled back and saw that Suho had stuck a knife into his chest. The knife then sank deeper and deeper into his body, grazing his heart. Pain burst through every single atom in his body as he bellowed in pain. Suho stood up and laughed.

"What is this?" Kris shouted.

"A very very dark magic that would put you through hell," Suho said. "You can't die because you are a vampire and that is not a stake. It is a knife bled over thousands of sacrifices that would cling onto your heart like a parasite and feed off you. It is a lethal process, but you can't die from it. You'll only suffer from horrible pain."

"W-why?"

"To teach you a lesson," Suho said coldly. "They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorn, but they certainly never felt the wrath of a hundred years old phantom gay witch that takes over other's body while feeding their souls to the ancestors."

"You killed me, for your people. I am going to teach you that your people will soon dwindle and leave you. That you sacrificed our love for nothing, and soon," Suho went close to Kris's face and breathed out. "You will come crawling back for me."

"N-no..." Kris grunted as Suho slowly walked out of the room.

"To go against me is going against a whole bloodline of powerful witches," Suho said. "I will now go back to my people and tell them how you slaughtered Seungsoo and Mr Do, and then I will lead them to finish off the rest of the vampires within the city."

"Don't do this..." Kris said weakly. And just as he out, Suho said his last words to him.

"The witches of the French Quarter will rise again."


.....

.....

.....

...

...

...

.

.

.

A Cup of Sunshine

First of all, Happy Birthday to me!

Hope you guys liked this huehuehue hopefully it wasn't too bad >_<

Ahhhh such a tragic ending.

I was inspired to write this after watching "The Originals"

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading >_<

Please do forgive me for any mistakes I've made here as I haven't have much time to proof read cuz I was very very busssssy

PEACE OUT ^_^v