twist and lock

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 447w

Prompt: how about jongin getting too immersed in the whole hair braiding business :>>>>

 

'My mother wants to see the girls,' Kyungsoo says simply, over dinner one night. Jinri and Soojung are in their high chairs, fingers caked with food. Sunyoung has a plastic spoon in her hand, and is trying to be a 'big girl' and feed herself. Jongin almost drops his fork.

'Um - when?' he asks, trying to feign nonchalance. It doesn't fool Kyungsoo, though. He knows his mother hates Jongin. 

'Tomorrow, actually. I already checked, we have nothing on so I thought we might as well, seeing as we'll be busy next week. Girls,' Kyungsoo turns his attention toward his daughters, and the corners of his lips turn down when he notices the chunks of food in Jinri and Soojung's hair, and the stain that's blossomed in the middle of Sunyoung's shirt. He sighs. 'We're going to see grandma tomorrow, okay? And you're going to have to look nice,' he says. The girls all nod in understanding and quickly finish their food. 

Kyungsoo clears the dishes at the table as Jongin goes to bathe his daughters, wincing at the amount of sauce they'd managed to get in their hair and on their clothes. Kyungsoo can hear high pitched laughter and frustrated groans from Jongin and doesn't like to think about the struggle he'll have to put up tomorrow when he gets his daughters ready. 

It's going to be a long, long day.




Kyungsoo wakes up half an hour later than he should. The clock on his phone tells him he isbeyond late and he's about to jolt Jongin awake to yell at him when he realises the latter is nowhere in sight. 'Oh ,' he breathes out, before scrambling out of bed and dashing off to his daughters' room. He pushes the door open as gently as he can in hopes that he won't wake his angels up too harshly when -

'Papa!'

Three small bodies ambush him and he nearly falls over, reaching out to grip the door frame just in time. It takes Kyungsoo about a minute to notice that not only are they all clean, washed and dressed - each of them have intricately done up hairstyles, ropes of braids teased around their heads. He looks up and sees his husband smiling at him. This must have taken him at least an hour. 

'They look. Like miniature Marie Antoinettes.' Kyungsoo says, still unsure of whether he's amused... Or not. The smile on his husband's face makes him decide that he should be, though, because Jongin always smiles the same smile when he's excited, the exact curl of his lips that he's showing Kyungsoo now.

'I know right, your mother's finally gonna love me!'

Kyungsoo shakes his head in surrender.