just hold on

come build our home, my love.

Word count: 710w

Prompt: parents!au prompt: what about kaisoo grocery shopping with the girls and they're making it rly hard like destroying everything in sight and running away :3 bonus points if an ahjumma walks up to them and ask if this toddler belongs to them after she runs away ^^ I'm sorry this is so long ily xo

 

They pull up in front of the hypermarket with abnormally heavy hearts, Jongin’s hand still on the gear shift, both of Kyungsoo’s laid across his lap. It’s summertime, now, and that’s done nothing whatsoever to slow their daughters down. In fact, the heat has Kyungsoo convincedthat his daughters are solar powered, exhausted as he is every night after spending the better part of his day trying to track them down and make sure they don’t hurt each other, or themselves.

He his lips. ‘Are you ready?’ he asks, without looking Jongin in the eye.

Jongin swallows. He glances up into his rearview mirror at his daughters, each in their individual car seats, Jinri and Sunyoung with their eyes wide open, Soojung fast asleep with agape. It’s so peaceful now, though, he groans inside his head, but he knows - this calm is an illusion painted by seat belts across car seats, this quiet was a mirage only allowed to him in the oasis of his car.

‘I guess it’s now or never,’ mumbles Jongin, taking his seat belt off with a sigh. He looks over at Kyungsoo, who’s still staring straight ahead like a military man told to stand at attention. He reaches for his husband’s hand, squeezes it in his own.

‘We can do this,’ mutters Kyungsoo, looking at Jongin with a kind of resolve that the younger only ever remembers seeing in the days leading up to their wedding. ‘We’re good parents, there’s two of us, and we’re at least three times as big as they are. It won’t be a problem.’

Jongin clenches his jaw.

‘It won’t.’




Eris, Kyungsoo thinks, would bow down to the scene that’s unfolding in front of him. Chaos descends on the hypermarket in the form of the Kim family, Sunyoung and Jinri running rampant with Jongin trying his best to chase after them, and Kyungsoo with a wailing Soojung in his arms. People stop, people stare, people aren’t being very helpful and Kyungsoo would rather people go away.

‘Shh, baby, see, Papa’s here,’ he croons, bouncing Soojung up and down in his arms. ‘It’s okay, it’s okay, don’t cry now.’

‘WANNA GO HOME!’ screeches Soojung, her hands balled in little fists, clutching at the front of Kyungsoo’s shirt as if her life depended on it. ‘WANNA GET IN CAR. WANNA GO HOME!’

‘We can go home after we get all your food, oka - KIM SUNYOUNG, YOU PUT THAT JAR DOWN RIGHT NOW!’ Kyungsoo’s tone switches gears from comforting to authoritative with such ease that it startles the daughter he has in his arms, triggering a fresh bout of tears, another screech that threatens to tear at his eardrums.

‘Sunyoung, STOP,’ demands Jongin, finally rounding the corner into sight and grabbing the jar away from his eldest. He picks her up, ignores her struggling and is about to give her a stern talking to when an old lady with snow white hair comes up to him, kind smile etched on her face.

‘Hello,’ she says, and her voice reminds Jongin of his grandmother’s. ‘I couldn’t help but notice all the commotion going on here,’ she observes, offering Soojung a kind smile that just makes the toddler bury her (snotty, wet, tear streaked) face in Kyungsoo’s (newly washed, just ironed, white) shirt.

Kyungsoo can only sigh.

‘We’re sorry about that,’ says Jongin, apologetic smile forcing its way onto his face. ‘Our girls aren’t usually like - ’

‘No, no, nothing for you to be sorry for. Children are children after all,’ the woman grins kindly at them, and Jongin already feels himself relax. He should go visit his grandmother sometime soon. ‘It’s just that - well, I found this one by herself and I was wondering if maybe she belongs to you?’

The woman pulls a small arm forward, and Jinri appears from behind the woman’s ample form. She’s got a piece of watermelon in one hand and the lady’s hand in the other, and there’s red stains all down the front of her (also new, also just washed, also just ironed-because-Kyungsoo-felt-like-it) tshirt.

Kyungsoo groans. Jinri grins at him.

‘Want some, Papa?’