1/?

Glow

 

 

They'd never really been close despite knowing each other all through high school, they'd just been in the same class, sitting two rows apart with two groups of lunch friends and frankly, a world away from each other.  She had a couple of girlfriends who all studied and had fun in equal measure, sharing their lunches and fixing each other's makeup during breaks, trading gossip to break the monotony of studying on the weekends. He had a bunch of guys who all wore their shirts open, ties hanging haphazardly, sneakers with trailing shoelaces and sleepy eyes who communicated with grunts and smirks about last night's ball game.

He also had a girlfriend.  Who was in another school nearby and waited for him by the gates everday when school let off, holding her bookbag in one hand and a lunchbox in the other.  He would saunter over and put his arm around her shoulders, smiling down at her as they walked home together.

She knew, because she'd heard the gossip in the toilets.  How Zhang Yixing, the hearthrob of the basketball team who could play the guitar and sing dreamy songs and had the cutest dimple, had fallen for a girl nobody had heard of, who wasn't even pretty and always ran errands for her no matter how busy he was.  Whipped, the gossip said.  He deserves better than whatshername.  I think it's quite sweet though.. thought the girl to herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

It was another lazy Thursday, balmy breeze blowing through the classroom window without the slightest hint of Autumn - it was already October yet the wind was sticky and warm and so enticing...drowsiness began to settle into the room.  The door slid open and the teacher strode in, looking excited.

"Hey guys, wakey wakey!  Good news for ya, you'll want to hear this."

Various grunts and sighs are heard as the class shuffles themselves back to their seats and sit up a little straighter.

"We....are going on a Mid-Autumn trip!  And it's an overnighter girls and boys - plenty of opportunities to play together, eh?"
".................is that really something a teacher should say?....."
"SO!  Signup list coming down here - and DO sign up, because I'm sure all of you love spending lots of time exploring nature and scenic view, yes? Unless you'd rather stay behind and help returf our field and clean out the bleachers and storerooms..."
"Yes, Ms. Jung"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Two weeks later the class was getting ready to board the bus that would take them to Muju in roughly 3 hours, the hum and drone of their voices rising as friends arrived, parents waved off and high-fives were exchanged.  Distracted by the straps on her luggage the girl was one of the last few to board, walking down to the very back where there was an empty seat left in front of her girlfriends.  She gave them a sheepish smile then quickly stuffed her bag overhead and settled in, letting out a loud huff as she sat down.  Then she remembered to turn to see who was next to her, maybe say hello - and was met with a raised eyebrow, cutting off the greeting on her lips.

He'd been dozing off in his seat waiting for everyone to come on board, because why did everyone have to say hi when they arrived and again when they got on the bus? They'd been seeing each other everyday for the past 2 years. He'd been up late last night trying to fix a radio for his girlfriend and only slept for 4 hours or so because he knew she'd want it this morning, so she listen to her favourite DJ that night since he wasn't going to be there for the next three days and she would have no one to talk to and...  He was just..tired.  Why aren't we leaving yet so I can sleep? A scratching noise above his head followed by a loud huff and slight shifting of the seat as someone sat down next to him roused him out of his bleary haze.  He'd never seen her - never properly looked at her as she was right now, with bright eyes and a slight tinge to her cheeks as she settled into her seat looking excited because come one, who gets excited for school trips anymore? Until she turned around to look at him and started, froze actually, expression falling a tiny bit as she bit her lip and gave him a tight smile before turning back to face forward silently.

"Hey Xing, how'd you get here so early!  I was waiting for you at your house man, you could've told me you'd already left"

Luhan mock pouts from the seat in front, kneeling backwards to reach over and ruffle his hair.  Yixing grunts noncommittally, mumbling "Girlfriend wanted to breakfast together" in reply.

"Wow, perfect boyfriend you are huh, fixing that radio as well - did you sleep at all?"

He retorts with a "Shut up, Lu" before turning towards the window and trying to find a comfortable position against the cool glass of the window before stuffing his hoodie between his neck and shoulder and falling asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

"Whoa look at all this green!"
"I'm starving..Teacher, when are we having lunch?"
"What are we having for lunch?"
"Wait..there isn't any phone reception here?...wait there is!"
"...damn it's gone now"

"ALRIGHT boys and girls we have arrived in Muju!  We're now heading to the hostel to put our stuff down, wait for me in the lobby while I sort your rooms out and please don't run around and knock any grannies over - that's you Luhan, and stick to each other!"

"Sheesh, Teach, that one time in junior high.."

 

A girl runs up to her.  "Hey Xiao Mi, you took your time this morning, you're never late!  I'm sorry I couldn't save you a seat earlier"
"Yeah, the lift broke down and I had to run 11 flights of stairs to catch the bus here - the straps on my luggage broke too, lucky I managed to kinda tie it together"
"Ouch, bad luck for the first day of the trip already?"

She shrugged, it was no big deal really.  Rather, it had been a little awkward sitting silently next to Yixing for the entire bus ride - they'd never talked even though they'd been in the same class for 5 years, they were both in their class' Line chat.  Eventually she'd nodded off as the excited chatter around her gradually died down.  

"I brought my camera!  Dad finally let me use my money to get that new lens I wanted, can't wait to try it out when we go see fireflies!"

She smiled sweetly, knowing how much her friend loved photography "That's great, Jia, you'll be able to take gorgeous photos.  Have you taken any so far?"

The two girls huddled over the camera screen, chatting quietly.

 

"ALRIGHT class, rooms have been sorted - QUIET PLEASE you can talk about your new ball later guys and LISTEN so you know who you are rooming with and which room you are in.  While you are waiting please take one of these cards so you all have my number in case of emergencies.  Enter them into your phones now please.  WHEN you have got your room cards please go and sort your things out and COME BACK DOWN HERE by 12:00 SHARP, we're leaving for lunch at 10 past!"  The teacher's voice goes on as rooms are allocated and people grab their bags and room cards as they make their way up to their rooms.

 

"Yay! I'm rooming with you, Mi!  We're in 525!"  Jia grabs her hand and tugs her towards the lift as she fumbles to hold onto her luggage, tripping over her feet as they head across the lobby.  

"Wait for us!"  yells Jia at the lift, managing to jam her foot in between the doors and forcing them open before shoving Xiao Mi and their luggage inside.  It's a tight fit, and she bumps into someone as she backs up to make room for Jia.  

"S-sorry" She says quietly as she turns around to see who it is.

"Huh" cames the responding grunt.

"Hi Yixing!" trills Jia "Which room are you guys in?"

"528" Luhan cuts in "We're rooming together"

"Wow we're really close to each other, cool!"  Jia chatters on with Luhan as the lift creaks and takes them up to the fifth floor. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

A/N: wow.  this is my first leap from reading fics voraciously to actually trying to write my own fic and...why does it take so long to get to the actual story?  I keep getting sidetracked by little details! Please leave a comment or feedback? Much appreciated!! More to come in a couple of days.

xoxo, J.