End

walks on the beach

 

                          o n e

 

Go out on a Friday. – KyungSoo.

 

Wufan eyes judgingly at his own reflection in the floor length mirror in the bathroom – feeling a bit pathetic; his hands are clumsy and uncooperative as he tries to get rid of a particular wrinkle on his dress shirt. It doesn’t go away and he thinks about taking off his dress shirt, planning to flatiron it until it’s straighter than a paper sheet.

 

It hits him when he already has two buttons undone that their iron is old and leaves rusty trails behind it. He mentally notes down that they needs a new iron, buttoning up his dress shirt after the mental decision and tucking it in into his dark slacks as he slips his feet through his newly polished black shoes.

 

He ruffles his hair as he looks at himself – his face hasn’t aged much, it’s more defined and his features are sharper than they were when he was in his late teens, back when he met him. His hair is a nice dirty blonde and his sideburns just sharpen his looks, he thinks.

 

His hands slide from the tie after painful minutes of continuous struggling, he then slips his right hand easily into his pocket – his index finger over the soft box, a smile unconsciously ghosts on his face as he thinks about the first time he’d met Chanyeol.

 

He’d met him at his uncle’s Christmas party – his uncle had a habit of inviting an exaggerated number of people in their small town to his estate for a pretentious celebration that would be the talk of the month. Wufan is glad his uncle has grown up and left the party scene – it was a little ridiculous because the man was sixty-five years old at the time and liked to party like he was in his early twenties.

 

Wufan runs a hand over his face, groaning quietly behind it. He only attended out of respect for the old man and to show some family support as his mother liked to tell him before he got the chance to grumble – his uncle might have been a pompous man but he was nice.

 

He hadn’t been able to tolerate his friend –Lu Han – hanging drunkenly on his arm and whispering disgusting things into his ear. He piled Lu Han off him and walked off after settling his friend on one of the chairs in the corridor, he walked out of the mansion.

 

He spotted Yixing talking quietly to someone taller – he’d never seen the guy before, but something about the way Yixing was speaking to him – laughing occasionally, too – told him the guy couldn’t be too bad.

 

And he wished to pass time.

 

Yixing introduced them, they shook hands – firm and tight – Chanyeol’s hand was warm and almost rivaled his in size, and his height did too. Almost. Wufan silently thanked his genes – and Buddha, for some unknown reason – everyone in his family was freakishly tall.

 

He spent the Christmas party hanging around Chanyeol. Like a lost puppy, He remembers Jongin and Sehun teasing him about it when he went to their graduation a week ago – the two are a pair of scissor in his backside sometimes.

 

Wufan shakes his head.

 

From mutual friends to video game buddies before it turned into an actual friendship with constant texting – Chanyeol texted the dumbest things and his emoticons had Wufan grinning foolishly at his small screen and letting out a chuckle or two.

 

Unceasing texting turned to hanging out – Wufan will never understand how they never seemed to be broke; they ate out more often that what was normal, they were first year college students.  

 

Hanging out turned to late movie nights before they begun having sleepovers, like a bunch of kindergarten girls.

 

And then that friendship turned to something more.

 

Wufan won’t be able to ever pinpoint when he realized his feelings for his best friend took a leap into a new level – he only remembered the first time they made out and both soon began spluttering out painfully awkward confessions whilst trying to catch their breathes on his tiny dorm bed they barely felt comfortable on.

 

The slamming of the house’s front door snaps him out of his thoughts down the memory lane and he gets cold feet when he hears Chanyeol’s loud voice screaming out for him to hurry up – he bolts his way into their bathroom and he undresses in record speed after slamming the door with his foot.

 

Wufan paces back and forth as he thinks of what to do – suit in hand – he quickly shoves his suit into the trashcan beside the toilet and leaves the bathroom in his briefs and neon green socks – heart racing like he's just got done committing murder and hiding the body.

 

Chanyeol’s angry scowl quickly shifts to a grin and the younger man begins to laugh – loudly – Wufan doesn’t think he has ever heard or seen him laugh that hard.

 

Wufan cancels their reservation at a restaurant he fought tooth and nail to reserve.

 

He doesn’t propose because he’s suddenly self-conscious.

                                    t w o

 

They’ve been on the road for 6 hours straight heading over to Yura’s house – she just got a little baby boy, the baby is round and squishy looking – fat rosy cheeks and a tiny mouth, he still won’t open his eyes.

 

She has constantly sent them hundreds of pictures and all it took was one plea from Chanyeol and look to have Wufan melting into an invisible bowl and agreeing to drive him to his older sister’s house, just outside the outskirts of Seoul.

 

They could have easily taken a plane – it would have saved them the hours of being stuck in a car – the summer heat is boiling – but driving was cheaper at such short notice and Chanyeol prefers the ground over air.

 

And Wufan also easily agrees because driving is a weird way of getting away from Lu Han – he had told him about him not being able to propose and backing out the last minute – Lu Han laughed, called him a big idiot and added on saying propose to him on your way to Yura’s, if he says no – you can always crash the car.

 

Wufan thinks Lu Han is an even bigger idiot than he is.

 

Chanyeol is in the passenger seat snoring loudly, Wufan steals sneaky glances every so often. It’s always like this, his boyfriend has a habit of sleeping in the car – he spends the first twenty minutes talking non-stop about nonsense before he goes silent, and begins watching the scenery.

 

Wufan stays quiet most of the ride because he likes to hear Chanyeol talk – call him sappy but it’s like music to his ears. He smiles when his soon-to-be fiancé falls asleep with his head lulling against the window. He hears Chanyeol mutters something unintelligible in his sleep – the younger denies ever talking in his sleep even though there is proof in their shared Canon 7D.

 

When they reach Yura’s house, her husband leads them in and Chanyeol’s attention is stolen away from him.

 

Wufan is jealous of the innocent infant for the rest of the night and the velvet box is soon forgotten when he holds his boyfriend’s nephew in his arms.

                                       t h r e e

 

When Yura ushers them out one evening on their second day in her house, Wufan thinks it’s because she wants to spend time with alone with her small family. He looks back at the house, sees her holding two thumbs up and he realizes she has somehow found out about the velvet box.

 

The velvet box is currently in his hoodie’s pocket, the hoodie is thrown over Chanyeol’s right arm and Wufan has to resist the urge to pull the hoodie away. It’ll look suspicious if he rips the hoodie out of his boyfriend’s hold.

 

He doesn’t want to have some kind of pointless argument; Chanyeol easily takes the he says to heart and it takes a lot time and begging for I didn’t mean it like that! To be accepted. Wufan has realized long ago that he says some dumb whenever they argue, he tries to avoid quarrels.

 

And Chanyeol is louder when they fight; the urge to interrupt him is always overwhelming.

 

There is sand in his shoes and he groans because he thought he was being careful. He steals a glance at Chanyeol and the corners of his mouth crawl upwards when he sees the content look on the younger’s face; he was talking about his nephew minutes earlier and Wufan likes how happy he looks.

 

Chanyeol's hand feels clammy in his own, he doesn't mind – it makes his heart race just a little bit faster than what's considered normal.

 

Wufan's heart has been robbed out of his chest and he doesn't mind at all.

 

“We should walk more often like this. I like this – it’s nice.” Chanyeol’s voice grows softer with each word. He moves closer to him, the breeze is chilly but the warmth radiating from the younger keeps him from commenting on it. “Walking beside you feels nice.” Wufan's insides feel funny – a good kind of funny – when Chanyeol says that.

 

They’re holding hands – their grips strong and fitted – Chanyeol swings their hands, just barely. “It’s weird–” He whispers even softer.

 

“It’s not weird,” Wufan squeezes the hand in his, “Being around you makes me happy.” They exchange a few shy glances in silence as the walk on the beach, both have taken their shoes off and they walk closer to the sea – in the wet sand because it’s sort of cool, the dry sand is burning.

 

The sun is setting – the sky is a clear orange and beautiful – a hint of pink in the sky matches the color on Chanyeol’s cheeks.

 

Doesn’t Yura live near some beach? Sea and all? Propose there, it’ll be romantic. Jongdae’s eager voice rings through his head like a broken record.

 

Wufan doesn’t propose because the words die on his tongue when Chanyeol is already kissing him.

 

                                  f o u r

 

The fourth time he tries, he ends up with his fingers buried in Chanyeol’s messy hair, grunting deeply as he stares down at the pink lips stretched around his .

 

The building pleasure blinds him and has him forgetting what he woke up to do – he planned to propose the minute he woke up, bad breath and drool at the corners of his mouth – but Chanyeol's bed hair was alluring and it had been a while since he was given an early breakfast in bed.

 

The velvet box he has poorly hidden under the couch is forgotten and when he comes down from his high, he can only hear Chanyeol jumping off their bed and his loud screams of what the h–! I’m going to be late!

 

He chooses not to propose; he leaves for work with a silly smile stretched on his lips, he looks stupid but he’s satisfied.

 

                                       f i v e

 

The best day to propose is on a Sunday evening – Yixing had told him, eyes optimistic and the smile on his face almost blinding. You don’t need to take him out. Wear the oldest thing he has bought you.

 

Wufan looks at himself in the mirror – he thinks he looks rather ridiculous. The worn-out t-shirt is a size too small on his frame and he spends a few moments questioning whether he gained a pound or more in the last few years or the t-shirt just shrunk.

 

The t-shirt still smells like Chanyeol, it’s weird because the latter hasn’t worn it in forever – he probably forgot it still existed.

 

The t-shirt has the Enterprise on it – it’s a Star Trek t-shirt, he remembers it to be one of Chanyeol’s favorite. The younger man wore it whenever he came over, back when they were just video game buddies in college – the t-shirt was given to him after a year of them being official. Wufan never wore it much at first because he thought it too nerdy until Chanyeol threatened to get it back.

 

Wufan gives himself one last look in the floor length mirror of their shared bedroom before he turns his heel and is out of their bedroom. He pads down the stairs barefoot and stalks into the small living room, drops lanky form on the couch and chortles when Chanyeol is already pressed against him before he can make himself comfortable.

 

They sit for hours in silence that is only broken by the television – it’s on Animal Planet.

 

“Yes, Wufan.” Chanyeol says without prior notice, not moving from his position under Wufan’s arm – he snuggles even closer.

 

Wufan blinks at the television in confusion; he slowly looks down at Chanyeol who is now looking up at him with a grin. "Yes, Wufan," He repeats self-assuredly this time, his voice is calm and his eyes are focused on him intently.

 

Wufan just sits there – heart hammering in his chest and he lets Chanyeol trails kisses from his collarbone, all the way up to his neck and along his jaw before brushes his lips.

 

He cups the face his hands when he breaks from his daze, thumb brushing just under the left side of his face – warm eyes stared back at, a lazy smile on the pink lips. “What are you–” He begins anxiously and stops short when he spots the velvet box by Chanyeol’s feet on the couch. “Oh,” And he has the audacity to sound like a lost fool.

 

“What do you mean ‘oh’? Is this for someone else? I swear to – I’m going to ing kill you if you’re cheating on me –”

 

Wufan presses his lips against his, teeth batting and he winces but has no intention of pulling away – Chanyeol’s soft whimper escapes his throat and their lips moves gently, he sets his hand at the base of Chanyeol’s neck and pulls him even closer.

 

Chanyeol opens his mouth, allowing him access and Wufan happily obliges – the kiss is all tongue and sloppy noises and his hands can’t seem to find the right place to rest on Chanyeol’s body – they finally pull away and Wufan doesn’t remember the latter straddling him.

 

It’s all harsh pants and grunts that fill the living room, Wufan can hear the drums in his heart and wonders if Chanyeol can hear them too. His mind slowly trails back to the first time the made out on the couch – it was awkward then, but it’s all natural now and he knows where they will be spending the rest of their day.

 

¤¤¤¤

/hides

just plucked this out from my flashdrive, haven’t touched it since April so errors should be ignored pls b ye D;