Somebody Owns You Now

Detached

[Here's the theme song for this short story. Enjoy!]

Seven years had passed.

 

 

Bound by the road she paved for the past years, Jinri is now working as a successful teacher. For her, teaching is not merely a profession; it will also help determine one's fate in the next years to come, and she actually liked the feeling of helping others, especially the little ones. She was fond of kids ever since, and the course she took was never a dissatisfaction, never a grief.

 

 

"Miss Choi, this school year you will be assigned to the preschool department. I bet you'll enjoy this more than your first grade class." Miss Kim, the head administrator, who admires Jinri's wit and intelligence, finally gave her the chance to show what she really got. She must be thankful to Kim Sunyoung too, who agreed to swipe departments with Jinri. Sunyoung had seen the goodness Jinri had in her, so creating the decision was never a hassle.

 

 

"Thank you, Miss Kim!" She bowed twice, her heart feeling excessive happiness when she heard the news. Finally, after three years, she would be teaching preschool kids, which was her dream ever since she started high school.

 

 

And ever since she met Park Chanyeol.

 

 

Needless to say; he was the one who taught her to appreciate little kids and their cuteness, and imagination. But actually he wanted to become a lawyer, and now the one who ended up with the kids is Jinri. To be honest, she seldom thinks about what will happen if he was here, playing with them, and the like.

 

 

She didnt miss him; but right now she's thinking of him. How has he been?

 

 

Chanyeol was her first boyfriend; the first cause of her rapid heartbeat; the man who taught him to be fond- of little kids; the man whom she thought was her everything. No one followed after him anymore. She never dared to be in a relationship again, scared to death she might lose him too, the same way she did with Chanyeol.

 

 

Where is he now?

 

 

The question had been bugging in her mind for days already; but her body chose not to do anything that may lead of her finding him. She'll end up guilty- again. No, she doesnt want to feel that way ever.

 

 

- o0o -

 

 

"Goodbye Jinri saengnim~" the little kids greeted in unison, their body giggling, fixing all their things before going out of the room where their parents are waiting. The cute- snickers of the children added life to the atmosphere inside, while she was erasing the writings on the board, not minding the tiring activity she's doing.

 

 

"Miss Choi, thank you." one of the kids' mom had personally thanked her before leaving. Jinri smiled in response and also thanked the woman.

 

 

Slowly the people were leaving as she was almost done arranging stuffs. She got out of the classroom and was surprised to see one of her pupils, sitting quietly on the tiled floor while embracing her bag in her short arms.

 

 

"Mina." She stooped- down to entertain the little kid, who seemed to be so sad and on the verge of crying herself out. "Why are you still here?"

 

 

"I'm waiting for my appa. He said he'll come before 5 o'clock."

 

 

Jinri gazed at her watch and smiled softly as she patted her head gently. "He'll arrive soon." She said, reassuring her. "Kaja?" she reached out her hand to her and gladly, the little girl obeyed.

 

 

Not long after, just as they were about to leave the corridor, someone called the little girl from behind.

 

 

"Appa!" the girl immediately left Jinri's grip and ran towards the man who arrived just now. When Jinri turned back, she was quite speechless to find out who Minah's father is.

 

 

The man in tuxedo paused as his daughter wrapped her arms around him, unaware of what's happening.

 

 

"Hey."

 

 

Jinri was lost of words; he didn't expect to meet him this day, this hour, this minute.

 

 

So he has already a daughter?

 

 

Everything went back to its original pace when finally, Chanyeol smiled at her. "How have you been?"

 

 

The smile was still the typical smile; the genuine, cool smile he has since they were young. It took a lot of minutes for Jinri to process what he said; the man in front of her, who had her heart; is now a father. And her? She is a teacher, still missing him.

 

 

Now the word 'appa' created a loud pang on her heart and she doesn't know why.

 

 

Minah looked at them and broke the silence, "Appa i'm hungry~!"

 

 

"Yes, yes, we'll go home now. Eomma cooked something special for you."

 

 

The word 'eomma' was more hurtful.

 

 

"We have to go now." He smiled, for the last time, of the day, to her, and turned his back on him and walked towards the exit.

 

 

All the time Jinri was speechless. Yes, she wasn't aware of anything. And she really thought she won't care. But why is this bothering her now?

 

 

This time it was Chanyeol who walked away from her.