Five Years

Five Years - Myungsoo

Making your way through his crowded house, feeling out of place with all of the people that you haven’t seen before, your hand rubbed your arm while you looked around trying to find Myungsoo in this sea of people. Being invited to his going away party was an honor none the less but seeing all of these strangers almost made you turn around and walk out.

Deciding to grab a little drink before you leave, you headed into the kitchen where you grabbed a bottled water and opened it, taking small sips while you scanned the area filled with people.

”_______-ah?” You heard someone call over dull chatter. Turning around, you saw Myungsoo with his white button up shirt, sleeves rolled up to his elbows and his black slacks hugging his muscular legs and a black tie hung down from his neck. “You came.”

"I wanted to wish you good luck." You smiled at him while both of you looked into each others eyes.

"Thank you, that means a lot coming from you." Myungsoo slid his hands into his pockets.

"No problem." The air started to become awkward around the two of you while people came and congratulated him. Making you more confused you chewed your bottom lip while your fingers rubbed over the groves on the water bottle.

Once the line to talk to Myungsoo dissipated he leaned against the counter, turning his head to look at you.

”________ can we talk somewhere?” Myungsoo asked you, nodding slowly, you placed your water bottle on the counter. Leading the way, he brought you upstairs and into his bedroom, the only quiet place in the house.

Standing, once again, awkwardly, you clasped your hands together, ducking your head you bit your lip wondering what this was all about. Myungsoo turned around from closing the door and walked close to you.

"I wanted you to come tonight so that I could tell you in person." He played with his fingers while looking at you, his heart beat faster as he felt his words become jumbled in his head.

"What is it?" You softly questioned, looking up from the floor, your hands let go of one another as they dropped to your sides.

"I’m going to be studying abroad for a while." He broke the news slowly walking up to you.

"Okay" You nodded taking in this new information. The heavy air around you almost made it hard to breathe, while you felt your heart start to become crushed from the harsh reality of Myungsoo leaving.

"Are you really okay with this, I mean I know you have had a crush on me for a while." Myungsoo placed his comforting hand on your arm. Nodding you looked him in the eyes, the stinging of tears made you aware of your emotions.

"Yeah, you go and have fun. Good luck with your studies." Your voice slightly cracked from your suppressed emotions. Straining a smile for him, you bowed to him before walking past him and opening the door.

Once you shut the door behind you, he looked over his shoulder at your lost presence. Letting out a heavy breath, he moved to the side of his bed, taking a seat his elbows rested on his knees while feeling his heart slowly crack and shatter.

"I don’t know what else to do ________. I’m sorry for breaking your heart again." He mumbled rubbing his face with his hand, shaking off his unsure feelings for you, he headed back downstairs. Running to the door he looked outside as he just missed you, hitting the door frame with his hand he went back to his party while his heart and mind remained with you.

Tears ran down your face as you knew all too well that he didn’t love you like you loved him. Crying in your room, you thought of what you were going to do next and how you were going to forget all about Kim Myungsoo.

— 5 years later —

"Okay class, what is the first letter in the English Alphabet?" You quested the wide eyed five year olds that sat at your feet.

"A!" A little kid blurted out. Smiling at his answer you showed them how to write it on the board.

"Okay, now grab a paper and go practice at your desks." You instructed as the boys and girls stood up, grabbing a paper and heading to their desk, you erased the board before sitting in your chair waiting for someone to need your help.

Sticking the Visitor’s Pass on his suit coat, he slowly walked through the halls to find your Kindergarten classroom. It was in the colorful part of the school with the children’s artwork on the walls decorating the corridors, giving it a fun, playful yet positive spin on school.

Peering in through the window, he saw you, your hair cascading over your shoulders while you showed this little girl how to do something correctly. Having the little girl try writing this time, you watched her with a passion in your eyes. Once the little girl got it right, you patted her on the back, giving her a big smile you moved to the next raised hand.

Watching you after five long years, his heart still beat faster while butterflies seemed to release in his stomach. Gripping the handle, he watched you gather the latest assignment before having all of the kids sit on the mat in front of your feet.

Opening the door slowly, he entered your classroom while you grabbed your guitar and started to strum a few chords before singing some children songs, the children sang along with you, with the words that they knew.

A large smile began to grow on Myungsoo’s face as he never had seen you so happy before. Moving closer to the group of kids, he caught some kids’ attention before he pressed he finger onto his lips. Pulling out a small chair, he giggled while he sat down. Enjoying your music time, he smiled at your talent that you never shared with him.

"What song does everyone want to sing now?" You asked the class with a smile. A little boy raised his hand.

"Can we have him sing a song?" The little boy asked. Raising your eyes up from the little boy, you saw Myungsoo sitting in a little chair as you felt the world stop.

"M-Myungsoo, what are you doing here?" Blinking a few times, you had to make sure that you weren’t just seeing him, but that he was actually here.

"My five years are up and I wanted to see you again." He stood up. The kids; heads turned watching the little drama play out between the two of you.

"Can you play a song mister?" A little girl asked while the rest of the class cheered him on to sing.

"May I?" He asked you, carefully making his way to the front of the room. Nodding you handed him your guitar, you carefully moved to the side of the group of kids.

"What should I sing?" Myungsoo questioned your class, leaning over the guitar. Calling a little girl with her hand up, she smiled up at him.

"You should sing something you always wanted to. It should come from your heart." The little girl put her hand over her heart as the class made hearts with their hands. A smile slipped onto his face, turning to look at you, he bit his lip finding the perfect song.

I start humming along to love songs that I didn’t like before
All of the melodramas in the world seem like my story
I try to look good when I didn’t before by paying attention to my appearance
I’m acquiring the bitter taste of coffee

Time goes so fast and my heart grows impatient
I imagine you next to me and film a movie of my own

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love

When a man’s in love, when a man’s in love

My cheeks get redder and my head slowly drops
I’m only looking at you as I’m on my way
My confession gushes out as if I’ve been crazily running
When a man’s in love, even if he loses ten to gain one
He gives all he has as if today is the last day so he won’t regret – all I have

Like a young child, I keep laughing for no reason
I control myself by saying that I’m different from others

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love

I can’t escape because I’m in too deep
The letters in my book are dancing as they form your name
As if you’re the main character of the movie, as if you’re the moon in the sky, I keep seeing you
I draw you out every day – my heart will rest only when you come into my arms
I’ll be your resting place that will never cool down

Look carefully – if you feel this, that means he’s fallen for you
If someone gives you a sign like I am right now, then please notice it

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love

When a man’s in love, when a man’s in love
When I’m in love, when I have fallen for you

Myungsoo’s voice was exactly what you remembered. Being lifted and taken to another world with his lyrics, he never broke eye contact with you while his fingers gently strummed your guitar.

Carefully holding out the last note, he shined a smile in your direction as his fingers strummed the final few notes.

The class of kids happily clapped at the performance. A little boy raised his hand in the front row.

"Yes?" You called on the little boy, trying to divert your attention from your reddening cheeks.

"Sir, do you love her?" The little boy with innocence asked. Turning your attention back to Myungsoo, he bit his lip while his heart fought with the rational side of his brain.

"I do, I love her." Myungsoo confessed, a little girl stood up and handed him a dandelion that she picked at recess.

"Hand this to the girl you love." She whispered with a smile. Myungsoo smiled and took the flower while patting her head gently, she sat down. He stood up, balancing the guitar in its stand, he walked over to you. Looking down at the weed in his fingers he smiled before looking up at you.

"I might be too late, but will you return the love that I have for you?" He carefully stood in front of you, the kids in the audience held their breath awaiting your answer.

"I have never stopped loving you, Myungsoo." You smiled, opening your arms, closing the space between the two of you, you wrapped your arms around his shoulders. Wrapping his arms around your waist, you happily nuzzled your head into his neck while the kids all stood up and clapped happily.

"Look they are going to live happily ever after!" A little boy called as the class beamed.

"She is going to become a princess!" One little girl beamed

"Then they can get married and we will all be at their wedding!" Another girl said while the other classmates happily clapped, surrounding the two of you.

"They seem to like the idea of us." You remarked pulling away from his hug.

"So do I." He giggled leaning in and kissing your cheek before the kids all covered their eyes or stuck out their tongues at the recent desplay of affection.