Angel

1004 (Angel)

You don't ever see anyone being grateful for anything, anymore. People always take things for granted. Health, friends, favours. You say you don't appreciate something until it's gone, but five minutes later you're taking everything for granted once again. Everyone does. It's just the way things are. It's the world we all grew up in, and that's what we've become. You don't even think about it anymore.

But then he came along. Maybe it's because he grew up on a farm, in a small town in the middle of nowhere, but his friendliness is such a fresh difference from the city-dwellers I grew up with. He gets along with everyone, even those who nobody likes. He maintains a friendly and polite persona even when he dislikes that person, and keeps those opinions to himself. He shows the same amount of respect to the homeless man begging for money food on the side of the road as he does to his girlfriend's father. He's the type of person that gives the homeless man a whole box of donuts when he was just begging for some coins. Maybe it's because he's Canadian, but the warmth he exudes cannot be categorised into a mere stereotype. Silence is never awkward, only comfortable, and he holds an interesting conversation just as well. He can throw the best parties, be so much fun that you forget what boring feels like, but he can also be serious and a good listener and give wise advice. He's popular, but never acknowledges it, never lets his popularity or success get to his head. He holds himself with confidence, yet at the same time is humble enough that he isn't the least bit arrogant. He's the type of person to break up a fight, successfully, and there would be no hard feelings.

And he's so appreciative of all the small things in life. He appreciates the friends he has, and he tells them that. He appreciates all the kind turns, all the favours others have done him, and he remembers them all, and he tells them that. What might be a tiny, trivial thing that requires little to no effort on your part, he values it enormously, and he tells you that. He's sincere in all his gratitude and appreciation. He can see that you mean well, even if it's hidden behind harsh words and cruel jokes, and he doesn't get offended like everyone else. He never takes advantage of kindness and generosity; instead, he returns the favour with even greater kindness and generosity. He never gets mad, never holds a grudge. He forgives, but only forgets because he has a bad memory.

Sometimes I think he's an angel, a tiny bright spark lost in the thronging black masses of flawed humanity. He's human— oh, so human— but just different enough that, the more you get to know him, the more you wonder. He's not particularly good-looking, but there's a peculiar beauty that radiates out from within that no regular good-looking person can duplicate or compare. He's not perfect, but he's as close to being flawless as a human can be. He's a modern-day saint in the 21st century. He's what inspires me to become a better person.