That Fateful Day

How Junhyung Found Yoseob

How Junhyung found Yoseob

YOSEOB POV

The world looked like an empty and a hollow place. Even though I wanted to run away so badly, it looked like it had no place for someone like me. I was on the verge of giving up and going to a peaceful place where nobody could disturb me.  But it was on that faithful day that stopped all my bad intentions.

After having another major argument with my mother again, I made my way to the Han River. The place I usually go to clear my mind, empty my thoughts and think. Think about what? Well, my mom was furious when she found out I had no intentions of taking engineering in college and the fact I wanted to pursue a singing career.  I know Mother is scared of me failing because of what happened to Dad a long time ago but still . .

Sighing, I sat down on the banks of the river, my legs folded up and my chin resting on my knees. I wrapped my arms around my legs, taking in the scenery before me. My head wandered to various thoughts and time flied without me just realizing it. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep from the warmth of the blowing wind and the cloudy weather.

It was raining but yet . . . I wasn’t wet at all.

I could feel warmth that felt new but yet still familiar to me.

If I could stay this like forever, I’d be so happy.

When I woke up, I was surprised to see an umbrella above me.  I was sleeping on someone’s lap and that person was looking straight at me, holding the umbrella, keeping the both of us from getting wet. He had small round eyes with big irises and his cheeks were somewhat chubby. His lips were small yet, plump and they were just so tempting at that time. He had a long nicely-shaped nose that complimented his whole facial features and lastly, he had straight layered black hair that reached to his nape and covered his ears. He looked so innocent.

He blinked, probably surprised to see me suddenly awake and then said “Yah, you shouldn’t be sleeping in a place like this when it’s raining” His face turned into a small frown, indicating how annoyed he was.

“And yet . . . why are you here?” I asked him, looking into his round, black eyes.

“Well I couldn’t ignore someone who was sleeping in the middle of nowhere when it suddenly started raining, you know”

“You could have just waked me up . . . and tell me to go home” I said, barely in a whisper, the thoughts of how uncomfortable home was coming back to my head. 

“I don’t know . . . you looked like you didn’t want to go home”

And that was the day where everything started. I didn’t want to get up from his lap, the rain wasn’t stopping anytime soon and the mysterious guy wasn’t getting up too. It was only after the rain slowed down into a drizzle that the guy mentioned he had some business to attend too. He handed the umbrella to me.

“Here. You look like the type to get sick easily”

I took it from his hand, because well yeah I hate to admit it, but he guessed right. He left without saying another word, nor looking back while I stared at his back as he walked away.

Every day I would go back to the same place at the Han River, bringing his umbrella along with me in hopes of giving it back to him and getting to know him better. 

After a week and a half of empty days, I suddenly felt someone grabbing the umbrella from behind when I was idly playing and twisting it in my hands. I looked back, surprised yet happy when I saw him.

“I believe this is mine?” was what he said, smirking and holding the umbrella.

From what I could see, he looked tired, his droopy-looking than before and bags forming under his (beautiful) eyes.

“Ah! You’re back!” I exclaimed, not realizing what I had just said.

“I’m back?” he repeated, and then chuckled. “Yah, don’t tell you’ve been waiting for me?” He kneeled down and looked at me, eye to eye. I could feel the blood rushing to my face.

“I only wanted to return your umbrella!” I lied, looking away, too embarrassed to see his face. I didn’t know what this feeling was back then.

He poked a finger on my forehead.  I looked back at him, but I could really feel the heat on my face.

“Yong Junhyung”

“What?”

“I’m Yong Junhyung. Won’t you tell me your name?”

“Ah ye. . . I-I’m Yang Yoseob” I replied, fluttered.

He chuckled, then sat down next to me.

“Soo, Yang Yoseob.” He folded his hands on his knees and looked up at the sky. I looked at him eagerly. His hair looked so soft as the wind made blows on it.

“How long have you been waiting?”

“Well-uh . . . more than a week”

“Everyday?”

“Everyday”

I was looking at him and then he suddenly looked into my eyes, causing butterflies in my belly. I didn’t know I could have such feelings for a guy.  He smiled and then just suddenly said,

“Thank you”

I gulped, not knowing what to say. I looked away and then silence overcame us. But it wasn’t the awkward type of silence. It felt warm, yet comforting and it felt nice having him by his side, with no skinship involved.

Once I got home and the TV, I just realized he was from a newly-debuted boy band named XING. Sure, he didn’t have many lines, but he immediately caught my eyes. Poppin’ Dragon was his stage name. A dragon eh? Personally, I thought it had fit him so well.

Slowly, I found myself going to that same place more often, hoping I could catch him again. And then he occasionally appeared and we would talk or just sit there for hours, enjoying each other’s company. I never mentioned or asked the fact about him being in XING until he confided in me on how tiring the entertainment world can be. And I would tell him about my dreams of becoming a singer; he would listen to me sing and add in some freestyle rap he made on the spot.

After more frequent meetings, I figured out his schedule. He would usually appear on Mondays to Thursdays and it didn’t depend on what time he came. He would never come past 8PM but once he came, we would stay together until it was as late as 1AM or possibly more. Sometimes he would doze and fall asleep and I would be there to be with him and just watch him.

We grew closer and Junhyung started to feel more comfortable with me, putting his arm around my waist or shoulders occasionally or he would pull me into his lap and just play with my hair.  He would know my ticklish areas and whenever I annoyed or , he would poke it or tickle me and he would laugh or grin in a satisfied manner.  I noticed he loved taking care and showing his love to others and I really didn’t mind at all. In fact, I was more than happy.

One day, he appeared, his eyes red and face puffy. He looked like he had been crying, but I didn’t want to mention it because I knew he liked to be strong in front of others. He sat down next to me, without saying a word and just pulled my head on to his lap. He started playing with my hair (I habit I found he liked to do when he had something on his mind) and just my cheek. I felt shivers down my spine, feeling guilty for liking what he was doing.

It was silent for a while, until he said shortly, “We’ve parted ways”

“What?”

“XING… it’s over Seobbie. The company’s gone bankrupt”

I stood up, in a reflex and looked at his saddened face. He was looking down and not meeting my face.

“Junnie-hyung . . . I-I’m sorry”

He didn’t say anything back.

“Hey . . . It’s okay, hyung. There’s always a way around, you know.” I took his hands in mine. “Listen, hyung. I’ll always be here for you, araseo? I’ll always be by your side. We’ll make it together, okay?” I smiled at him and he just looked away, chuckling.

“Seobbie . . . “ he put an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. “We’ll make it together, okay?”

I looked at him, a simpering smile plastered on my face, nodding in agreement. I was so glad I had met him that one day.

The next day, I made my way to the Han River, just to see if Junhyung was there. I mean, if he was out of XING, then that meant he had much more free time right? I was humming to a tune I had made out of nowhere until I saw his figure from a far. Excited, I called his name out loud.

“JUNNIE HYUNG!”

He looked around, surprised to hear my voice. I think he didn’t expect me to show up on a day like this. But I could see him smile when he found me though. I ran to him, wanting to get near to him as quick as possible.

“Yah, Seobbie what are you doing here today?” he asked me as he stood up.

“I thought you would be here hyung, that’s why I came” I grinned up at him.

He ruffled my already-messy black hair. He took my hand in mine and then said, “Seobbie, promise me we’ll go through everything together and make it together too”  

I smiled, nodding up at him. He looked so tired, it just made me want to tell him to go home and rest or probably better, lie down and sleep by my side.

“Hyung . . .” I said, barely in a whisper. But I knew he could hear me.

“What is it?”

When I looked at his face, I wondered if he knew how I felt or if he felt the same way. But a small part of me protested, saying that it was impossible for him to possibly like me back, since I was a boy. But the other part wanted him so badly, to never let him go.

“Ah… let’s take a picture! To commemorate this day!” I said, taking out my phone from my pocket.  He chuckled as I positioned myself to stand beside him and my right hand stretched out holding the camera in front of me.

“Okay, one two…”

“Wait” he said, putting an arm around my waist and pulling me closer. “Okay, now”

I turned to look at him shortly before turning back to face the camera again and smiled widely for the camera. “One, two, three!”

.

.

.

Lying down with my stomach facing the bed, I smile foolishly to myself as I recall the past.

The photo I had taken with my cell phone is now in my hands in printed form. Although it is slightly faded from age, I still have a digital copy I could print again and again, but the first copy will always be the most memorable.

“Hey, what are you looking at?” asks a familiar voice as he lies down on the bed next to me.

“Yah, Junnie hyung” I say, looking mischievously at him. He raises his eyebrows, his left hand supporting his head as he faces me.

“Do you remember . . . when we first met?”

“When we first met?”

“Yeah!” I say, nodding like crazy. My eyes light up as his eyes roll up, trying to recall the memory.

“Well . . . let’s see . . . I was just minding my own business and then . . .” he stays quiet for a while. I eagerly wait for him to say something. “Wait a sec, I think I got a text message” he says, putting his hand in his pocket to grab his cell phone.  He lies down facing the ceiling as he makes a text and I wait patiently, my legs moving idly.

“You have a text! You have a text!”

“Ah my phone” I say as I grab my phone near the pillow. I open the message and it says . . .

 

From: Junnie Hyung <3

17:38 PM

And then I met someone I treasure the most right now and he had some kind of magnetic pull that always made me want to stay by his side.  I wanted to meet him everyday because seeing him would always make all the problems go away. I am so glad I found him on that fateful day. I say found because he was like a lost puppy sleeping in the middle of nowhere that made me want to take care and love for him. Yang Yoseob, you should be a very lucky person right now.

 

I read the message over and over again. If that was what he had in mind, why he couldn’t have just said that. I look at him with a frown on my face and I find him looking right back at me with an expression I cannot read.

“Yah, why didn’t you just say this?” I ask as I look at the message again.

He smiles at me, and I can see his eyes softening.

“Seobbie, you know actions speak louder than words right?”

“De?” I ask back, taken aback.

He gets up and then hovers over me, his arms blocking any way I could escape. Not that that I would want to. His face slowly gets closer to mine and I do not want to blink, not wanting to let go of this moment. He stops midway, and just looks into my big, blinking black eyes. And then he quickly gave a small peck on my lips, cruelly not letting me savor the moment. I can see his cheeks reddening and then he left as fast as he had came and closes the door behind him.

I touch my lips, not believing what had just happened but . . . I know, this I like. I my lips playfully and followed him out the door, calling out his name.

“JUNNIE HYUNG!!”

I surprise him as I hug him from behind playfully. He chuckles lightly and then holds my hands that are wrapped around him.

Yes, indeed, I am so glad you found me that fateful day.

xxxxxxxx

Well guys.. err tell me what you think? ^_^ haha I had this in my head for so many days and I'm so glad it's finally out!