Chapter One

School Love Affair

"Are you ready for this test?" Jin asked me as he took the seat next to mine. "You know you gotta at least pass this time if you want to go to the New Year's party."

All of the seniors were invited to an end of the year party by the student council president. It was known to be one of the legendary senior parties. Last year's was the best one yet apparently. Some K-Pop group actually came to perform and party with them. One of the members even got so drunk, he woke up and found himself on the rooftop. The police came too at one point, but no serious harm was done. I've heard so many stories about that night and all just made me excited for my turn. This year's was supposed to be bigger and more epic.

On my last exam, I was one point away from failing. Just one freaking point. My parents grounded me anyway for a month, causing me to miss last month's Halloween party. They threatened me saying if I don't pass this time, I may never see the sun again. The thought of missing another event made me groan.

"Don't worry, I got this," I assured Jin, showing him my left palm filled with scribbles of black ink I made last period. "I think I could at least stay above the C+ line, don't you think?" Jin rolled his eyes and faced back to the front of the room with hands folded and back straight. I rolled my eyes back at him.

"Maybe, you should've actually tried and studied," Jin replied, rolling his eyes at me. I rolled mine back at him. Last night was the finale of My Love From Another Star. How could I miss my lovely alien for an economics exam? Jin shook his head at me and faced back to the front of the room with his hands folded and back straight.

Ugh, he was always so proper and perfect. He had straight A's on his report cards, never once received detention, and always had a little fan club of girls following him around. They absolutely adored him.
But who wouldn't honestly? He was pretty good-looking with a good sense of humor. His family was loaded so he had his own BMW that he drove to school every morning. He was smart, nice, and easy-going. His only flaw was probably having me as his best friend.
I wasn't the smartest or the prettiest or the richest girl. I failed my driver's license exam twice already and if you couldn't tell already my grades aren't that great. We're almost the exact opposites which I guess help us get along with each other somehow. Our friendship started when we were born. Literally. We were born on the same day at the same hospital around the same time. He was only about one hour older than me. I guess our parents met each other there and ever since then, they have been good friends and the same happened to Jin and me.

"Alright, class," our economics teacher said as he walked into the room. "Time for our last exam of 2013. Keep your eyes on your own paper and good luck."

I wrote my name on top of the paper and looked at the questions. What the hell was all this? Demand elasticity? Diminishing marginal utility? When did we learn this? I looked up at the teacher and noticed he was on his phone playing Flappy Bird. Figures.

Careful not to get caught, I skimmed through my notes on my palm and looked for some answers. This wasn't that bad, honestly. After only fifteen minutes, I was already halfway through the test. As I filled in another bubble on my scantron sheet, a girl's voice from behind spoke up.

"Teacher, Jisoo is cheating!"

All eyes were on me as the teacher slowly walked down to my desk. He towered over me as he looked down and saw my palm. He took my paper and ripped it in half. The whole class was dead silent. I felt my face redden in embarrassment. Did he seriously have to do that in front of everyone?

"Kang Jisoo. Let me see you outside. Now."

Ugh, crap... I'm screwed.