Chapter 1

Sunburned

Hi there, you guys!

 

I'm sorry that this is not Twister update.

It's instead another sweet nothing I started to write when I was in the midst of my holiday last month (and it took time to finish >.<)

 

By the way, I resurrected my ipod yesterday and the first song it looped is Pixie Lott's "Hold Me in Your Arms". It has nothing to do with the story, but the tune and the lyric are so sweet, I can't stop myself sharing it :)

 

 

Then, please enjoy, and don't forget to leave your thoughts in the comment box below :)

 

~Cheers~

 

***

 

Sunny was pacing back and forth her room with a phone on her hand.

 

"No. We promised to go on vacation to celebrate our graduation. Why are you backing out from our plan?" She probed her best pal. "Fany called me just now and she said she couldn't make it since her dad demanded her to go back to states before her job started. Now you're telling me that you can't make it either. I hate you short Taeng!"

 

"Yah! Cut the insult, can you?" The latter scowled from across the line. "Listen, I want to come with you too. I mean, we planned it already since a year before. I am as disappointed as you are, but what can I do? The company ask me to start as soon as possible and they are going to find other new employee if I can't make it. I can't let go. It's a good opportunity. You know it."

 

Sunny sighed loudly to the microphone, making it buzzed in Taeyeon's ear, to which the latter took time to distancing the phone from her ear.

 

"So? Are you still going?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Yep. I deserve a vacation after 4 years struggling with the major not me, but my parents wanted. And I don't want no compromise. My parents agreed to it already."

 

"So, stick to your plan?"

 

"Our plan, if only you two aren't ingeniously ruining it," she said sarcastically.

 

"Hey, we ARE sorry. Come on, Soonkyu. Don't get all butthurt. Listen, I'll treat you with my very first paycheck, okay?" Taeyeon was trying to coax her short pal.

 

"You'd better keep your word, Taengoo. I'll definitely ask you for that."

 

"Shuck! Shouldn't promise you that. How should I survive the month after?" Taeyeon cussed.

 

Sunny chuckled, "I'll go easy on you. Some glasses of cocktails won't hurt your wallet."

 

"My gosh. Some you said? You think feeding a drunkard like you will keep my wallet safe?"

 

"Yah!"

 

"My offer is only until the third glass. After that, you pay yourself."

 

"Tch! Triftaeng!" The shorter one of the two retorted.

 

"Whatever. I'm just trying to save my meal money here," Taeyeon retorted.

 

Sunny laughed. "Let's meet up. I need to get a good smack on your head before I head to Bali. And get Fany too. She deserves a smack as hard as you are on her head. A punishment to break our graduation treaty. I'll see you guys in an hour at the café."

 

With that, she hung up the phone and threw the gadget on her bed. The mini sized girl then headed to her closet to change her attire.

 

***

 

A few days after, she took a flight to Bali in the afternoon, a holiday haven for those wanting a sun-kissed scenery, away from the ordinary packed city in which the sky were grey. She longed to go there for people she knew and tourism programs on TV shared good reviews about that tourist spot.

 

So there she was, queuing in front of the immigration counter, carrying a huge backpack on her back. She stretched up a bit. Having been seated on the aircraft for almost eight hours made her body all stiff, despite choosing the more comfortable business seat. She cracked her neck to the left, then to the right. That was when she spotted a board hanging in the far side if the vast hall, read "Welcome to Bali". She smiled wide, imagining the fun she would have two weeks ahead.

 

One and half hour later she arrived at the hotel she had reserved prior the trip. It was located in the south of Bali, complimented with a private beach, away from the bustle of the world's well-known tourist spot. A wise choice actually since she enjoyed a quiet place better.

 

However, her grumbling stomach was getting noisier. Getting a meal from the restaurant below wasn't her option. She wanted to wander around. So, after settling her belongings in her room and changed her clothes into short and comfy t-shirt, she took a cab to the most dense tourist population area where cafés, pubs and stores were lining up the street.

 

She got off the taxi in the middle of the street, deciding to just walk and enjoy the night. Mixed sounds of music came blaring from each cafes. Reggae, smooth music which created comfortable ambiance, loud clubbing music, and also traditional music came from the community centers where native youngsters gathered to practice.

 

The street was lightened up with colorful lights from illuminated signs atop the stores. People were strolling up and down the street despite the fact that it was already late, even nearly midnight.

 

She almost skipped out of joy. Now that she was alone in a far off place from Seoul, she felt free. She was away from her imposing parents, nor no spouse candidate resumes she had to overview.

 

The young woman in tiny built walked another block and turned right to find fast food restaurants along the street overlooking the pitch black beach. She opted to eat meal which was familiar with her taste buds first before having culinary journey the following day.

 

Going in to the most popular fast food chain in the world, she queued in line, feeling amused at the many people having dinner - or late night heavy snack - in that restaurant.

 

"That one, no umm... pikeul. Understand?" A guy in front of her was explaining his order in broken English while pointing at the menu sign behind the counter.

 

"Pikeul?" the lady behind the counter looked puzzled.

 

"Pikeul. Well, you know. Green, round... Ish! What is it in English?!" his tone was raised a little as  he was frustratingly murmuring in his native language, Korean. The lady behind the counter's expression didn't change. She looked even confused than before.

 

Sunny, almost giggling, decided to help a little. She tiptoed and peeked from behind his broad shoulder and said to the waitress, "He means pickled cucumber. He doesn't want it in his cheeseburger."

 

"Oh. Okay," the waitress bobbed her head up and down, feeling relieved for the help. "Anything else, mister?"

 

The guy hesitated for a millisecond before he answered, "Yes" and turned around to face her. "Take your order. It's on me," he said in Korean.

 

Sunny, a tad startled at the sudden turn一for she hadn't leaned back, so the gap between their noses were just a few millimeters away一shook her head while hastily took a step backward. "No need. I am glad to help."

 

"No. Please. I insist," he said.

 

She tilted her head, weighing his offer. After another seconds she decided to just take the offer.

 

"If you insist then," she smiled at him before turning to the woman in front of her. "Set menu 3 please."

 

"Okay. Anything else?" She asked as she was dabbing the touch screen panel in front of her, inserting the order.

 

"No. Thanks," she replied.

 

The woman then moved about the food rack behind her to get their foods and drinks.

 

"Big eater, eh?" The guy asked her jokingly.

 

Sunny turned her head to him, "Not really. I'm just completely famished. I skipped my dinner."

 

The guy nodded his head. "I'm Sungmin, by the way. Lee Sungmin," he extended his right hand.

 

"Oh, I'm Sunny. Lee Sunny," she took his hand and shook it rather awkwardly.

 

Well, it was indeed awkward to get acquainted to someone new in a fast food restaurant. Although it was indeed possible.

 

"You're a Lee too? Are you perhaps a long extended cousin of mine?" He joked. A grin formed on his bright face.

 

Sunny blinked at the joke. Or what not a joke, she thought. "Nah, I don't think so."

 

"Here's your order," the waitress came back with a tray full of food which she placed on the counter.

 

Sungmin carried it and left the counter after saying thanks to the woman. "Do you mind to sit with me or you'd rather sit apart?"

 

Sunny glanced at Sungmin, squinting her eyes slightly before finally deciding, "I... do actually. I want to sit over there If I may."

 

She pointed through the glass wall at the far off seat in the outdoor area.

 

"Oh, of course. I'll help you to carry your food there, then I'll go find some seat inside. I need air con anyway. Too hot," he smiled as he walked past the glass door Sunny held opened for him.

 

***

 

Heaven, she thought as she lounge on her belly on a beach bench, clad in her skimpy white bikini, savoring the sun while it last. The brightest biggest star was already on his three-quarter way to the west.

 

The woman with shoulder length brunette hair turned her body and adjust the bench so she could sit up. She noticed some of customer had changed with new ones, but some had not. She sipped what was left in her glass of juice empty. The fluid that went down had gotten warm.

 

In front of her, a cool pool had been inviting her to plunge herself in to enjoy the refreshing water, yet the distant sound of rolling waves ahead and the soothing cool sea breezes letting her to nod off once again.

 

She took her beach hat to cover her face from the afternoon heat. When she was just about to drift into dreamland, somebody knocked her beach bench by its end, sending the wooden furniture to rattle.

 

Sunny removed her beach hat hastily, wanting to see what or who disturbed her beautiful nap. There he was at the end of her bench, a guy wearing a white sleeveless t-shirt and black bermuda. A guy which, after scrutinizing his face, she recognized was from the fast food restaurant, bowing to her apologetically, regardless him knowing where the violated party came from.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," he bowed repetitively.

 

Sunny was eyeing him for a brief second before greeting, "Yah, stuttering guy."

 

The said guy stopped bowing. He slowly raised his head only to see a familiar face smirking at him.

 

The bulky guy straightened up, his eyebrows knotted as a result of him trying to recall who that familiar charming woman in front of him. When his mind started to put pictures in place did he remember her.

 

"The fast food girl!" He exclaimed.

 

"I am not!"

 

"Then I am too not a stutter guy," he defended himself.

 

"You do. When you speak English," Sunny .

 

"Whatever," he shrugged then pointed at the empty bench next to hers. "Vacant?"

 

"Yep."

 

"Do you mind?"

 

"No. Sit where you like," she answered coolly as she watch him sat on the fold-able wooden furniture right when she finished talking. Then she leaned back on her chair, one leg folded, her knee making a triangular angle against the long bench.

 

"Sunny, right? Since when are you here?" He asked as he leaned his back on the bench with arms raised behind his head.

 

"Morning," she answered without even seeing him. She reached for her beach hat, and once again covering her face with it.

 

"I want to order. Anything you want?" Sungmin offered as he was flipping the menu book left on the side table, noticing her empty glass.

 

"On you?" She asked jokingly behind her wide straw hat.

 

"On me," he replied shortly.

 

Sunny lifted her hat and inclined her head to see him in the eye. Again, she was gauging his expression.

 

Noticing her eyes on him, he diverted his eyes from the menu and stared back. "What's wrong?" He asked.

 

Sunny didn't look away. She stared straight into his eyes with gleaming curious eyes that he found interesting. That was the first time he met a woman that daring. Most were rather shy or pretended to be shy.

 

"Why?" She asked. Her one eyebrow lightly raised.

 

"Why what? Buying you a drink?" He asked in return.

 

The later just stared, but her eyes confirmed the answer. To thus Sungmin answered, "I just want to appreciate someone as stunning as you are sitting beside me. Is that wrong?"

 

The petite woman blinked, then slowly smiled. Her eyes formed twin crescents on her face, and her pair of plump soft scarlet lips curved so sweetly like a candied apple.

 

"You have a way with words," she complimented.

 

The later smiled back. "Here, take your pick," he handed her the menu book.

 

"Thank you," she sat up, took the booklet from him and began flipping the pages made of sophisticated hard boards.

 

Sungmin who just took off his tee to bask in the afternoon sun, sneakily observe the girl next to her. He noticed from their first encounter that she was a damn fine girl. However, now that he was looking at her up close, he realized that he overlooked that girl. She was beyond pretty. Her nose pointed, her lips full. Her rosy cheeks seemed soft, her eyes beautifully glimmering. Her body was petite yet hot. As he noticed before, nearly every other second did the guys there steal a glimpse of her sinful curve. Women too, although their stares read jealous.

 

Not long after the waiter took in their order, he came back with two glass of cocktails on a tray.

 

"I am quite surprised with your choice. Beefeater is kinda strong," he commented as he watch her took a sip of pure gin with ease.

 

Placing the glass on the side table between their benches, Sunny said, "A unique choice from you as well. Never I expect a guy prefer a creamy cocktail."

 

The guy was taken aback a little. He grinned and sheepishly said, "I am never a strong drinker. Plus I don't really like anything bitter."

 

Sunny stared at him then slowly her lips broke into a smile. She found the guy with dark brown hair beside her cute. But she wouldn't say it, she knew guys rather not to be called cute. Meanwhile the guy beside him was once again stunned by her smile. He could only stared back and into that sweet expression on her face.

 

"How old are you, if I may ask?" Sungmin placed his glass right next to hers. He turned his face at her, subtly checking her out, observing the little details about her, like how small her hand was, how likely it will fit in his palm. How soft her hair was and he imagined what it felt when he threaded his fingers in her strands.

 

"I'm an 89-born," she answered, breaking his thoughts.

 

"Oh? We are just three years apart then," he answered.

 

"Oh? Younger? Older?"

 

"Do I seem younger than you are? Nice to hear that," Sungmin chuckled.

 

"I'm just being courteous, though," she stated seriously before her lips finally broke into a wide grin once she saw Sungmin face turned sour.

 

"Thank you for bursting the bubble," he retorted. "I'm an 86 by the way."

 

Sunny nodded. "Working?"

 

"Should be. Or else I'll starve on the street nor can I go here."

 

Sunny smiled, "You're right. Let me guess... public relation? Marketing?"

 

"Does my talking seem charming enough? I take it as a compliment though," Sungmin quickly cut when Sunny was about to say something.

 

"I'm an engineer anyway," he added. "Civil engineer. Still a junior. It's harder than I thought to climb the 'ladder'."

 

Sunny marveled. Her eyes widened. A gesture he didn't miss.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"No. Nothing," answered Sunny, her gaze averted to the where the sound of a party broke into laugh in the pool nearby.

 

Deciding to not prod further on the matter since he got a feeling her diverting eyes has nothing to do with the people there, Sungmin continued the conversation. "You? What about you?"

 

Sunny's attention turned back to him. "Me? Oh, I just graduated."

 

"What major?"

 

"The dull business."

 

Sungmin laughed when he saw her answering in mocking manner. "So are you now looking for a job?"

 

"I wish I am," she answered shortly.

 

"You mean?"

 

"Everything has been laid out for me. You know, family business." She couldn't hide her being reluctant as again, her eyes averted to a palm tree afar which was shaken by the sea breeze.

 

"Is it that bad to take on your family business? Your tone seems unenthusiastic."

 

The girl merely shrugged without giving a verbal answer. Her face turned rather sour, also a gesture he couldn't miss.

 

"Oh... Eh, wait. You're a 89 means you're just 22 and you can chug down such a strong drink already?!" He exclaimed, trying to change the subject which made her uncomfortable.

 

When her face turned to face him again, it was clear that she was taken aback by his surprising change of conversation. Yet it was also clear that she felt relieved. Family talk was never a pleasant topic for her to brought up. Not that she hated her family or anything, but like a bird which was cooped up for so long, she wanted freedom. She wished to soar high up in the sky, yet she fully acknowledged that it was just a wishful thinking.

 

"I passed legal age though," she answered.

 

"But only last year. Say, you had drank before, hadn't you?"

 

Her face looked flushed. "So what if I had? It's not a crime," she defended herself.

 

Sungmin grinned when she barricaded herself with words, "Chil out, bunny."

 

"Bunny?"

 

"Ah, sorry. I get carried away," Sungmin apologized, mentally kicking himself.

 

"Oh, it's okay. In fact I am kinda surprised. My friends often call me that, though."

 

"Well, you do look like one," the words spilled out before he could even say 'stupid'. "No offense. I mean, you are cute." And somehow looked fluffy like that creature.

 

The later smiled ever so sweetly, Sungmin swore he melted head to toe.

 

Minutes passed as they were exchanging information about each other. And without them realizing, the sun had set and the day grew chiller. Sunny sat up straight, still on her bench chair, took her loose t-shirt from inside her tote bag and put it on. Sungmin did the same too. It was like a cheesy romantic drama when they turned around in the exact same moment and stared at each other.

 

! Sungmin cursed under his breath. Beside him, the girl became even ier in her attire now than she was a while ago in only her bikini. The huge tee of pastel color hung loosely around her hip, displaying and emphasizing a pair of perfectly sculpted smooth honey thighs. The sight of it was enough to make him smack his lips unconsciously.

 

While Sunny on the other hand, had an unreadable expression on her face. She seemed to be thinking about something.

 

"Do you want to go back to your lodging already?" asked Sungmin when he saw her fazed expression.

 

"Um..."

 

"Do you want me to drop you there?" He asked again. For him, he was trying his luck. As for her, it was a relief moment not having to brought up the question.

 

"You rent a car?" the tiny babe asked.

 

"Nope. A motorcycle instead."

 

"You know how to ride it?" Sunny asked again, amazed.

 

Sungmin chuckled, "I even own one back in Seoul."

 

"I never ride a motorcycle before," she confessed.

 

"Then it will be your first time riding it then. But afraid not. I'm an excellent rider," he assured her confidently, to which Sunny smiled.

 

They chugged down their glasses empty and left the mini urban colosseum beach club, walking side by side to the parking area in a matched rhythm.

 

***

 

The week onward were a blissful moment for them both. Like two people who knew each other for a long time, they chatted and joked while enjoying the beautiful scenery of the exotic Bali. Yep, they decided to went around together, to which Sungmin picked her up at her hotel or they met up some place. It was almost like he was courting her to be honest.

 

Sometimes, when they were walking down the crowded street where souvenir vendors were lining up and the visitors came pouring in, their hands brushed against each other. And the next thing she knew, She found herself slipping her delicate hand into his palm and held it tight.

 

The other time, they were devouring local  food on their plates in a local restaurant. They were starving that evening, since for the whole day they spent their time trying on various water sports and only nibbled on simple snacks just because they didn't want to break the fun they were having.

 

Balinese food were known for its spiciness. Meanwhile  Sunny were trying to chew slower while taking sips on her iced tea between each spoon, Sungmin on the other hand, gobbled it up like there was no tomorrow. It was when Sungmin coughed so hard for the spiciness were too strong that a grain of rice shot up from his pharynx to his nasal cavity. The next thing he knew, he coughed and blew so hard that that single grain flew out from one of his nostrils like a pheasant run wild.

 

Seeing that, the petite lady laugh so hard. She pointed with one hand at the guy whose face turned tomatoes not only because of the severe coughing and but also of tremendous embarrassment, while the other hand was covering her wide opened mouth. The other heads at that restaurant turned to them, but she didn't care as she kept laughing loudly at him until her stomach cramped.

 

It was during their seventh day together that they decided to just laze around in the seclusion of private beach at  Sunny's hotel after having late lunch together. The two had grown even closer at that time. They strolled along the beachline before Sunny laid her beach blanket on the gleaming white sand.

 

Laying vertically, they were sharing the blanket. Their arms, which were tucked under their heads, slightly brushing each others'. They laid there quietly for some time, before Sungmin decided to break the silence.

 

"What are you thinking?" he asked.

 

Sunny let some time passed before answering with soft voice, "Many things."

 

"Such as?"

 

"Past... Present... Future..." She answered with a slight pause on each word.

 

"What about the past?" he asked again as he was rolling to his side, facing her.

 

"My childhood... How sweet and undemanding it was..."

 

"Is it that hard for you now?"

 

"It isn't that bad, but I wish I am less burdened."

 

Sungmin waited the girl to continue.

 

"My parents demand me more that my sisters are married off the family, practically leaving the company in my hands. But I have my own dream. Had," she corrected. "But I have to give it up. You know what, playing martyr is tiring."

 

Sungmin was staring at her stunning side profile. At that very moment, she looked mesmerizing. Beautiful, yet lonely. However it was not the kind of loneliness that roused one's pity, but the kind that made one was mysteriously drawn to her.

 

"Say, do you hate your parents? Or do you hate your sisters?" asked Sungmin.

 

Sunny hastily turned her head to his direction, looking straight into his eyes. There was a flicker of fury in its hazel orbs. "Of course not! Just what are you saying?!"

 

Sungmin smiled at her, one of his hand was reaching out to tuck a lock which fell in front of her face behind her ear.

 

"You're a good daughter and a good sister then," he smiled warmly. "It's not a bad idea though, I think. You'll learn a lot from this, and you'll grow even mature under these circumstances. From my point of view, it isn't that your parents demand you too much. They help you to prepare for what will come, knowing that handling your family business will not gonna be easy. It's for your own sake, and not for their gain."

 

"How could you tell? You don't even know them," She asked him curiously.

 

"Unless they are a pair of psychos, parents would never ever meant ill for their children. Trust me, even though you feel that they are completely against you, actually they understand you the most. If not, how would they let you to go on this trip and alone? They understand that you also need freedom, and to let you know that they trust you."

 

Sunny stared at his dark orbs. She was slowly and gradually drown in it. "Seems valid enough."

 

"Of course it is," he said proudly. "One does not age without getting a little wiser, you know," he said as he was flicking her forehead.

 

"Now you tell me what were you thinking about your future."

 

Sunny turned her head upwards again. A flock of bird passing by in salmon-colored sky. The streaks of golden sun rays were drawn longer. Cool sea breeze blew at them, making her hug her own body in response, seeking warmth.

 

"I was thinking if my dream will come true," she blurted out.

 

"And what is that?" He asked.

 

"I want to build a simple and joyful culinary business."

 

Sungmin smiled. "Why am I not surprised?" He asked rhetorically.

 

"Eh, why?" Sunny was again turning her head to his direction, her eyes were seeking the answer through the other's pair.

 

"Seeing you eating with so much a gusto is the answer. Especially when you eat sweet bits," he answered.

 

Sunny scrunched her face somewhat cutely, it made Sungmin even melted inside.

 

"You know what I am thinking?"

 

"What?" She asked.

 

"Take your time working in your family business as a stepping stone. You will need a large sum of fund to kick off your business, and trust me, nothing is sweeter than starting things and building it with your own effort. Besides, by the time you start your business, I bet it will come easy as you will already be able to handle two or more huge matter at once, given that you are experienced enough by that time."

 

Sunny was nodding as she hummed, taking his word into her consideration. "You sure you're an engineer and not some sort of social worker instead?" She asked jokingly.

 

"I don't think I can be one, since I'll be very picky about my clients," he grinned.

 

"How picky?" The girl of a petite stature asked in return.

 

"Picky like I will only choose pocket-size young ladies," he smirked.

 

Sunny was quite for a second before deliberately voicing out her thought . "Is that supposed to be a pick up line? But you said ladies, meaning it's not a particular somebody, so it is not a pick up line."

 

"You think there are many pocket-size babes out there?" He asked while pinching her nose between his thumb and middle finger.

 

Sunny quickly slapped the hand away from her face. "Yah! I take that as an insult, you know!" She yelled as she was turning her body facing the other side, her back to him.

 

Sungmin chuckled. He reached out to hold her upper arm and tried to make her turn over. "Hey, I don't mean it as an insult. You know that I'm also shorter than any average guy. Can you imagine me standing beside a taller girl? Wouldn't you think I'm some sort of a dwarf then? Short is good, tiny is cute. Okay? Come on, turn over please..."

 

The later relented. She turned her body so she was laying on her back.

 

"Now now, what's about your present? What concerns you most?" He asked again. His eyes never let go of her sight, not even once.

 

"Should I tell you?" Sunny stalled the conversation as she talked in slow pronunciation.

 

"Why wouldn't you tell me after all the things you shared me with just now?" He asked her back.

 

Sunny rolled her body to her side, this time facing him. She tucked both of her hands under the side of her head while her eyes were boring into his. She was looking into his eyes with a new-found expression in her eyes. He could sense respect, he could sense admiration, and he could sense raw desire in her eyes.

 

"Because I am thinking of how to prolong this moment as long as possible," she said as she lifted one of her hand to caress his rough cheek. Her hand stopped on his jaw while she was drawing in closer and closer and closer until their lips were touching ever so tenderly.

 

At first, they took it slow. Not only that they were savoring each taste and relishing each sensation, but also due to the fact that they didn't want to ruin the moment. They want to clearly show each other that what they were sharing was not pure lust, but something mutual. They want to prove to each other that what they were engaging to that very moment was not a misjudgment, but a conscious decision.

 

The kiss grew fervent, each nip more ardent, each tug hungrier. Hands were touching, caressing, feeling. It was when they heard someone clearing from afar that they realized their surrounding. Sungmin swiftly withdrew his hands from under her loose tee. Sunny disentangled her hands from his hair.

 

"!" Sungmin cussed loudly, then he looked up to meet her eyes. The bright eyes which caused him sleepless night these past few days. Her face flushed and glowed from the heat they just had prior the interruption, yet her expression was unreadable. It made Sungmin felt nervous. "Hey, listen, I'm sorry. I got carried away. I--"

 

His words were cut short for the girl was already on her feet, grabbing his hand with one hand, and hastily clamping the beach blanket with her other hand. Without much to say, she dragged him up to her room.

 

 

***

 

The next morning, Sunny rolled over on her king sized bed. She was tangled in the heap of bed sheets and blanket covering her body. A proof of their wild night together. Her body felt sore, like she had an extreme RPM for two hours non stop. Especially on her lower abdomen, where she could feel it dully throbbing. Yet she felt happy inside.

 

"Sungmin-ssi?" She called out from where she laid down.

 

When her voice just hit the empty room, she wrapped up her body in the wide bed sheet that she rolled and folded, and got up from her bed. She walked warily to the bathroom where she suspected there he was. However, the bathroom was vacant when she pushed it open.

 

"Sungmin-ssi?" She called out again just for her voice to echo back from the empty bathroom.

 

***

 

"What did you say?!!!" Taeyeon screamed her lungs out through the phone. Sunny had to pull it off her ear for her eardrum would bleed if she didn't. "You gave your innocence to a stranger?!!!! Are you out of your mind?!!!!"

 

"Yah, Taengoo-ya..." Sunny calmed her best friend, her voice persuasive.

 

"Your joking, right, Soonkyu?" The later asked for confirmation.

 

"Um... No."

 

"Then how?! Did you somehow waste yourself and he take an advantage of you?" Sunny could imagine her best friend fumes over her confession. "Or did he gave you something so you are not in your right state of mind to reject him?!"

 

"Taengoo, it's not like that," Sunny tried to cut her best friend's fiery questions to explain. "He's a nice guy, really. A gentle one, even. I spent most of my vacation with him and he was kinda me even if it was for a very short while."

 

"Short?"

 

"Well, we saw each other for a little over a week for he has to return immediately to Korea. His job made him to."

 

"Then, what was actually happening there?" Taeyeon prodded.

 

"Well in short, we met, we chatted, we clicked well," Sunny answered shortly yet clearly.

 

The other party across the line fell silence. But then, she sincerely uttered, "You're crazy, Soonkyu. Totally completely crazy. I mean, I know you like to take your rebellion against your parents into a greater scale, but this is beyond what I can think of, really."

 

"Yah! My rebellion doesn't have anything to do with this, Kim Taeyeon. I did that fully conscious and not for any strange motifs against my parents. What I have for him is mutual and real," snapped Sunny. She got a bit offended by her friend's statement.

 

"How can I believe that? You knew him just for a couple of days. Even Fany and I haven't been in that stage," Taeyeon reasoned.

 

"Nearly two weeks to be exact," she corrected before adding, "And that's because you're a slowpoke, by the way. Don't you think I don't know what kind of imagination about Fany you have there in that little brain of yours?" inquired Sunny, subtly teasing the later.

 

"Shut up!" Taeyeon barked. She fell silent for a couple of second before asking, "Say, was it good?"

 

Sunny chuckled, her cheeks went rosy. She felt grateful that Taeyeon was not right in front of her to see her face. "What are you talking about, byuntae?"

 

"Don't you dare calling me byuntae. Have you not mirror?"

 

Sunny's laughter rang through the wireless devices. "Yeah, yeah. One moment you lecture me with morality, the next moment you ask how does it feel. It was great Kim Byuntaeng. Great, but it did hurt."

 

"Oho!" The later exclaimed excitedly.

 

"Yah! It's not like what you're thinking!"

 

"Oho?"

 

"Gosh! I so hate your 'oho'. It hurts, because my skin got burnt all over. So it stung where he touched," she explained.

 

"But it was good nonetheless?" Taeyeon prodded.

 

Sunny sighed across the line, "It was great, okay. Now why am I having this conversation with you? If it is with Fany, she will stop at her scolding me and that's it."

 

"It's you who choose whom to tell, and you choose me. So up the tease," Taeyeon reminded her short pal jokingly. "By the way, did you make a promise to keep in contact?"

 

"Hmm... Not directly," Sunny answered.

 

"But?"

 

"He had to cut his vacation shorter than what he had already planned. Business matter. And he wrote me his number."

 

"He gave it to you?"

 

"Not directly. He left me his business card. His depart to Seoul was abrupt," Sunny explained. "But, you know, how can I call his number first. Right?"

 

Across the line, Taeyeon shrugged her shoulder, "Well. you tend to be unexpected, so, who knows. By the way, do you know what he is doing for living?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"He's a civil engineer."

 

"What?!" The later exclaimed before she broke into laughter. "So the chance of you meeting him again is like ... 80% then?"

 

"Who knows, Taeng. Who knows," Sunny grinned through the phone. "By the way, I need to come to office and attend the second meeting for the city-in-a-city development project my dad assigned me to. After second thought, perhaps bearing the responsibility of my family business are not that bad," she smiled at the memory. "Could meet up after working hour? I want to make you pay your debt."

 

The latter groaned before agreeing to it. "Okay then. But I just remind, Shorty, the next time you meet him again, you don't jump onto his hip at once. Have a little restrain. Don't live up your bunny nickname and mate any time you want just because you can!"

 

"Yah!" Sunny exclaimed. "Gosh! I don't know why I decided to confide you about this! I hate you. Bye, byuntaeng!"

 

" bunny," Taeyeon teased.

 

"Shut up, shorty!"

 

"A pot doesn't call a kettle black, bunny."

 

"Shut up you, Kim Taengoo! Bye!"

 

"Wait, wait! One more question!" Taeyeon interjected.

 

"What?!"

 

"How many times?" Taeyeon asked. It was apparent that she was grinning while talking.

 

"Huh? What do you mea- YAH!!! No! I'm not having this discussion with you! No! Never ever!" Sunny yelled agitatedly.

 

"Okay. That could only mean many, many times."

 

"YAH!"

 

" bun-"

 

Taeyeon's sentence was hung in the middle since Sunny hung up the phone and threw it on her bed. The gadget bounced once when it hit the springy mattress.

 

She plopped herself down on the bed, laid on it and spread eagle. Memories of them in Bali flooded in. It was sweet indeed, and it was a lie to say that she didn't want to see him again.

 

Reaching out for her phone, she was weighing the option, but chose to put the device back. Meanwhile in her left hand raised two pieces of paper. One is wide, an A4 which had already been folded twice, the other one was a stiff business card with name, position, address, phone number and email imprinted on it. She was cradling it gently between her fingers, and carefully tracing the handwriting with her thumb as she reread the message on it for the umpteenth time.

 

 

Dear Sunny,

 

Sorry that you found me gone when you wake up. I got a call from my agency to come back immediately. They got this big project from a gigantic developer who intends to start the development project soon and already booked me the first flight to Seoul since this afternoon is the first meeting. To top it all, I got a promotion!

 

I'd tried to wake you up several times to bid my goodbye, but who knows you are a very deep sleeper. You just stirred a little then went back to sleep right after, which I found cute since you unconsciously made a cute sound. By the way, I swear I tried so hard to wake you up, so please don't think ill of me.

 

And about all things happened here in Bali, and especially about last night, it is the best memory I'll ever had and I feel tremendously grateful of the precious thing you let me have it. Please don't think ill of that too. Trust me, I'm not using you. I'm none of those jerks. So please, once you are in Korea, contact me soon. I left my business card, so you know where to see or call. I tried to search for your Korean number too, but your phone is password protected.

 

Again, I'm so sorry for whatever feeling you are experiencing when you woke up. However, although it might be too early to say, I think I like you. A lot. Or you can say that I'm infatuated by you already. You pick whichever nicer in your ears. So please please please, contact me soon. I'll be waiting for your call.

 

Sicerely,

Sungmin

 

Sunny smiled. Not today, at least. No, I am NOT that desperate. She thought, more to reminding herself though.

 

***

 

Before anybody ask for it, No, there will be no sequel for this story.

I'll just leave it for your imagination :)