Top of the Third

Swing, Batter Batter
Please log in to read the full chapter

Seven

It was Friday. Sehun was at the hospital, but he was okay. Kyungsoo had asked Jongin how he was doing at school in the morning, since he had gone to visit him after their game. Apparently Sehun had been smiling and laughing already, though it might have been because of really good pain meds. He was going to heal fine, and didn't need surgery, so that was even better.

But he was going to be out for the season, so either another player would have to start catching, Kris would have to catch for Jongin, or they'd need to find a new catcher. Jongin said he wasn't worried, that Kris was a good catcher, but Kyungsoo could tell he was a little nervous about changing pitchers after being with Sehun since he was young.

Kyungsoo reassured him with a gentle smile before asking if he still wanted tutoring today. Jongin nodded, so they were still going to Jongin's house after school. So Kyungsoo easily found himself falling back into the pits of nerves and awkward shyness at the thought. He'd been doing so well with Jongin, perhaps because he needed to let him know that he wasn't alone and that everything was going to be okay, that Sehun was going to be okay. The attention wasn't focused on him, and had nothing to do with him. It was him trying to help a friend.

Because that's what Jongin was. His friend. And even if they were never going to be anything more than that, it was okay. Kyungsoo was happy that he could be there for the other male.

 

*     *     *

 

During class, Joonmyun was trying to soothe Kyungsoo's nerves, his hand on Kyungsoo's back to slow circles into the skin. "It will be okay. You'll be fine. If things get awkward, suggest going to see Sehun or something."

Kyungsoo nodded, hands hiding his face. Joonmyun smiled, moving his hand up so he could pet Kyungsoo's dark hair. "But really. Don't worry. You're adorable. And straight, gay, or aual, I'm positive Jongin knows this and finds it endearing. You'll be okay."

Kyungsoo let Joonmyun's soft voice lull him into a calm state, instead deciding to focus on the lecture happening.

Then, after school, Kyungsoo walked to the gate with his heart beating faster than a hummingbird's wings. He worried his plump lower lip between his teeth as he held his math notebook to his chest, looking around for a familiar lean figure.

He spotted Jongin waiting for him, kicking the toe of his shoe into the cement. Kyungsoo smiled a little, watching as Jongin looked up, his smile taking up all of his features. He was beautiful.

"Ready to go?" Jongin asked him, reaching back to fix his backpack on his shoulders. Kyungsoo nodded, so Jongin smiled and began to walk towards the bus stop.

They stood outside of the bus shelter since it was a nice day, Kyungsoo looking up at the clear sky with a smile. Jongin was admiring the sky, too, closing his eyes after a moment and inhaling deeply. He didn't open his eyes until the sound of a bus was heard. Both males looked at the bus, and Jongin motioned for Kyungsoo to follow him onto it.

They found an empty seat towards the middle, Kyungsoo sliding in first. Jongin was pressed close to him, one of Kyungsoo's thighs pressed to the cold metal side of the bus, his other warm against Jongin's.

They didn't talk much on the ride there,

Please log in to read the full chapter