Strangers / Friends / Lovers

Coffee Shop

The time of the year had came again, college entrance examinations are just a month away. Despite studying hard for the past few months, I wasn't still prepared for the finals and studying in school was never the best choice because of those reckless juniors not sparing a thought for their poor seniors preparing for their entrance examinations. 

Without any thought, I head to the usual café which I  always go, down the street from school. Unlike the usual days, today was raining cats and dogs and the café was unexpectedly crowded. 

I sigh in relieve as I managed to find a quiet yet cozy spot at the corner of café despite the fact the café was nearly full. Putting my stuffs down, I ordered myself a cup of green tea frappuccino despite the cold raining day.

 

I was never a mathematics person, I was always struggling to solve the problem sums. But just when I'm getting excited for being able to find the solution to my problem sum someone disturb me. 

"Excuse me" a deep voice spoke out.

I groaned inwardly and turned my head back to the owner of that deep voice.

"Y-yes?" 

I mentally slapped myself for stuttering. I looked up to him, he was handsome. He's tall and his eyes was big and it sparkles. The black frame spectacle he was wearing fitted pefectly on his face.

"Do you mind if I actually sit opposite you? You see it is pretty crowded and the only space available is here." 

Damn. That smile hanging on his face was attractive. I looked around the café and he was right. 

"S-sure" 

He thanked me and flashed me a bigger smile showing his rich teeth and I smiled slightly in return as he went to bought his drinks. I turned back and admire his back view. His wide shoulder and how his long legs perfectly fitted him. 

Just then I was caught staring at him as we both shared an eye contact. He smiled at me warmly and I blushed, turning my head back to work.

Somthing about him makes me attracted. 

 

I sigh for the nᵗʰ time as I was stuck in the same question for the past thirty minutes before that handsome stranger came and interupt me. 

With no doubts, he looked up from his work and gave me a curious expression. 

"Sorry for being loud" I bowed slightly.

"What's wrong? I heard you sigh for like more than 10 times?"

 Oh god this is embarrasing. He, a stranger, even counted the amount of time I sigh.

I looked down shyly, "You know... I am really bad at mathematics and I'm stuck at this problem sum for the past few minutes.." 

He chuckled at me and took my book.

Man... he must be  thinking how stupid am I. A soon-to-be college girl who can't even solve a simple question. 

"Oh?! We are both studying slash doing the same topic!" He grinned at me. 

 

With the constant help of that happy virus, I managed to understand that particular topic better and solved the problems by myself. And yes, I called him 'happy virus' because he can't seem to brush off that smile away from his face.

Within that few hours, I realized I was attracted to his cheerful smile.

It was about two hour before the closing hour of the café and I started sneezing non-stop. That's when I realize the rain have yet to stop and it was pretty cold.

At the same time, I heard the sound the chair dragging, and peeked up to only see happy virus packing his stuffs ready to go off. I pouted slightly and pretend I didn't saw what he was doing. 

I mentally hit my head as I realize I was kind of sad that happy virus left without saying a goodbye or told me his name. I sigh again. Okay, maybe not kind of sad but really dejected.

"Aish... what a jerk" I muttered to myself and sneezed again.

Suddenly, the barista bought a cup of hot chocolate to my table. I look up and told him I didn't order it. He told me it was from a young man and asked me to look below the cup. 

"Young man...?" I was truly curious so I took the cup up and found a post it underneath it. 


'Hello~ It's me! The guy who sat with you just now.
Well, I see you sneezing non-stop and rubbing your arms non-stop so I figured out you must be cold.
So I think this cup of hot chocolate will be able to warm you up!
Remember to bring along a jacket the next time round you plan to study here, even though I should be happy that there will one less competitor to compete for the entrance examinations keke.
Anyway this is my number, you can always contact me if you have trouble with revision. I will be glad to help you out! 

This is Park Chanyeol signing off! Remember my name well!'


A smile was formed on my lips after I read it.

What a caring stranger I met. 

★★★

The next day,  I went to the café slightly later because of the heavy rain. When I entered the café, it was crowded like yesterday.

"Ugh this always happen during rainy days" I muttered and tried to look for a spot. 

As if on cue, I saw Chanyeol sitting at the corner I sat yesterday with a space left empty opposite him, gathering my courage I walked up and asked him for the permission to sit with him.

Without hesitation, he nodded his head like a lost puppy who finally found his owner. 

"Since I didn't formally introduced myself yesterday, Hello. I am Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol" He smiled and extended his hand out.

How could someone have such a good-looking and cute face own such a deep voice.

I smiled as I recalled that post-it he wrote yesterday. Reaching out for a handshake, I introduced myself too.

"Yejin. Jung Yejin."

"Pretty name for a pretty girl like you" He blunt out and I blushed.

"Thanks for the hot chocolate yesterday anyway. Plus you could have told me you were leaving as well" 

"I believe we will meet again so I don't think there is a need to say goodbye. Plus I thought you will contact me last night" 

My bit my lips to prevent myself from cracking up a big smile. I can't help but think if he is indirectly trying to hit up on me?

"What makes you think I will contact you last night?" 

"To thanks me for the drink like duh?" He laughed.

Just when I thought my sixth sense was accurate, his answer disappoints me. I shook my head and mentally scolded myself for thinking that way. I mean we just met like a day ago and I think that he likes me?

Wow, chill Yejin. You're not Lee Minjung or Park Shinhye.

I faked a smile and told him the same thing he told me, "I believe we will meet again so I don't think there is a need to contact you to thanks you for the drink" 

And we both laughed.

Chanyeol was definitely a out-going guy, it was easy for me to warm up to him. Plus we both clicked well because of the common interests we both shared.

After that evening the both of us started texting each other as if we are long lost friends. Chanyeol was definitely a great friend and good listening ear who will be there for you to comfort you.

With him being a optimist, he has every solution to your problems.

I was glad to be able to make friends with him. 

★★★

Chanyeol's POV

It has been two weeks since I met and be friend with Yejin. You can call me crazy for falling for her within a short time but trust me, the day I actually plucked up my courage and asked if I could share the same table with her wasn't the first time I met her.

I waited long enough to have the café that crowded.

The first time, I saw her happens to be in this café as well. I was buying my drink before heading home and I saw this girl staring at her book with a frustrated look and I found her really cute when she frowns. It seems like she was having a battle with the book. 

Whenever the scenrio of the girl replay in my head, I will smile like an idiot.

It was love at first sight since the day I stepped in to get my drinks.

 

I keep checking the time on my phone and place my attention on the door of the café, hoping that it will be Yejin pushing the door in. But sadly no... She won't be coming again today.

'Chanyeol-ah! You don't have to wait for me, I won't be able to make it today! I am having consultation with my teachers...'

I look up from my phone and sigh. I am becoming more and more like her, sighing non-stop. It's the 3rd time this week she haven't been coming over to study and yes, I miss seeing her face, her painful expression whenever she tries to solve a math problem. 

Focus Chanyeol, focus, college exams just two weeks away, don't get so distracted.

 

I look at my phone and only to find out it was dead. I ask Baekhyun for the time and was shock to hear it was already 5pm. Hoping to see her in the café, I quickly bid goodbye with my friends from school and stride my way towards my destination. 

I entered and ordered by drink and was really surprise to see her today as she greeted me, a guy turned his head and look at me with his poker face and nodded his head.

I fake a smile and greeted back then took a seat a few table away from theirs.

Why is the café so empty today...

I opened up my books and try to act normally. But I can't help but to get distracted by her sweet laughter whenever the guy said something to her.

The closeness they both shared, hurt my heart. How I wish I was that guy.

Maybe just for today, I shall put down my optimist attitude. I sigh and frown for the nᵗʰ time.

She probably has a boyfriend already.

Stop getting your hopes up, Park Chanyeol.

 

Yejin's POV

Finally! I have never been so happy to go the café. The thought of being able to see Chanyeol's face just make me giggle. 

Today, I will be heading there with my best friend, Yoomi and her boyfriend, Sehun. More like, the both of them were curious who Chanyeol was, as I couldn't seem to stop talking about him to them. 

When I enter the café, I quickly glance around to look for Chanyeol but to my dismay he wasn't there. I sighed, as he will usually be in the café at this timing.

"Guys let's just order our drinks and relax a bit, I think he's busy that's why he isn't here yet."

I texted Chanyeol about my presence with my friends in the café and hope that he will be here soon.


"Ugh, I am going to the restroom! If by the time I am out, he's not here, I am going to leave" Yoomi whined. 

I just nodded in agreement.  
 


My face literally brighten up when I saw Chanyeol walked in. What did he ate the past few days, he's getting more handsome. 

Never have I felt so happy to be able to see someone after so long, as he walks his way up I greeted him with a little more enthusiasm than usual. He seem shock to see me here. 

Didn't I texted him?

I wanted to ask him to join us but he already found a seat few table away from ours. 

"Not bad, but I think I am still more good-looking than him please" 

I slap his arms to urge him to stop his cockiness, if not I probably die from laughter.

I frown when I see Chanyeol frowning so much today. He wasn't like the happy virus I knew two weeks ago. Something's off. 

Maybe he was tired from school. 


Or maybe not. 

He was barely here for 15 minutes and he is leaving already. He didn't even touch his drink! 

"I will be leaving first! Tell Yoomi, I will let her meet Chanyeol another day!" 

I took his untouch drink and went after him.

 

"Yah! Your drink!" I shouted once I step out of the café.

His eyes widened to see me running over to him.

Even though it was a short distance, I was panting. I was never a runner and will never be.

He took the drink and pass back to me. 

"You drink it, you are more thirsty than I am" 

Without any hesitation, I took and drink and quickly sip it. Surprisingly, it was my favourite, green tea frappuccino. 

In the end, Chanyeol walked me back home. It was a quiet walk back though. None of us talk.

As we reached my house building, Chanyeol patted my head. His gentle touch made my heart flip.

"I hope your boyfriend isn't upset that you ran after me" He gave me a bitter smile. 

"B-boyfriend...?" 

"You know who I am talking about" 

Gasp. He couldn't possibly think that S-Sehun's my boyfriend right? 

"I don'tㅡ"

Chanyeol hugged me. 

"Just let me stay in this position for awhile"

"Study hard for college exams, good night, Yejin" he boke away from the hug just when I was about to wrap my arms around his waist and left.

Was he jealous at the café and upset because he thinks that I am in a relationship...?

★★★

It's been a few days since that night incident. Yejin has been continously texting Chanyeol to meet her in the café but he never showed up. When she tries to call him, he will never pick up her call.

Just a week away and it's time for college entrance examinations. But because of Chanyeol, Yejin wasn't able to focus on her studies and vice-versa.

Yejin could not stand Chanyeol avoiding her anymore and went to Chanyeol's school straight after her consultation ended just to wait for him and do a explaination. 

Isn't all these stuffs suppose to be done by the guy... why me?

"Hey hey hey, why is there such a pretty girl waiting outside our school at this hour?" a guy with a tanned skin asked and whistle walking towards her. Yejin shifted uncomfortably in her position. She was never use to attenion by playboys. 

"I like girls like you, you know?" he flashed her a ert smile. 

"You know, I was thinking if we should, you know, one night stㅡ" as he inched closer to her, he was pulled back by his collar.

"What was that for Chanyeol!" 

"Can't you calm your hormones for once, Kai and stop targeting on innocent girls"

Yejin quickly turn her head to the name and voice of owner, "C-Chanyeol ah" she voiced out softly. 

Chanyeol turned his head to the girl beside Kai and look at her bewildered, "What are you doing here?"


Chanyeol excused himself from his group of friends and went ahead with Yejin. 

"Damn, why does Chanyeol always get those girls that I want" Kai groaned.


There they were, their usual place.

"I don't why are you so upset over the previous incident but... I can't stand the fact you are ignoring me. It feels like someone important part in my life was gone. Can't we go back to how we were before the incident?"

Yejin pleaded. She was being honest with her feelings. She really miss spending her time together with Chanyeol and the fact that with his presence, he motivated her to study harder. So she won't look like a dumb girl who can't solve easy math problem sums.

There was only silence. 

Chanyeol could not bring himself to answer her, as he can't see Yejin in the same way again. She was someone else's girl.

Yejin let out a small laugh, holding back her tears and nodded slightly. 

We seem like a couple just who just broke up.

She stood up from her seat and pick up her school bag.

"Entrance examinations in just a week time, study hard and pass your papers. Sorry if I just wasted your time tonight when you could have just spend it doing something productive. B-but if you ever change your mind, you can text me" 

There, she left. After leaving him a indirect confession. 

In cue, the barista walked up to him with a cup of Ice Americano, he raised his eyebrow at him, "take a sip of the drink first and look below the cup".

Chanyeol just listened to the barista and took a sip. Letting the bitter taste savour on his tongue as he cringe his face and found a post-it below. He smiled slightly as he remembered he did the exact same thing before.

'Chanyeol ah~ I assume you drank the Ice Americano already before reading this? Yup, that's my current feeling now.
So bitter right...? Hehe. Well, you are always smiling but recently you've been frowning soon much.
You must be bitter too right?
If only you have read my message I sent you last week... you probably won't think I have a boyfriend..

But you know, I will always be waiting for your message.

Jung Yejin, soon to be dying alone in the mathematics battle-war ' 

He quickly fish out his phone only to found out he have one unread message.

'I am at the café with my bestie and her boyfriend! I want you to meet them hehe~'


Chanyeol mentally punch himself on his face and quickly run out of the café to look for her.  

After running continuously, he finally heard a girl's sob infront of him.

For once, Chanyeol thanked god for allowing him to make a girl cry if not he wouldn't be able to find her.

Pretty sure it was here from her back-view, he reached out to grab her hand and gently push her against the nearest wall.

Yejin was shock from the sudden attack and was about to scream but only have her scream muffled when Chanyeol's lips met her.

She stiffen but only to relax when she looked up to find it was Chanyeol. 

 

She kissed him back. 

 

He wiped her tears away.

 

"I'm wiling to be your warrior and protect you from the battle. I really likㅡ, no shoot, love you so so so much.

"Me too"

He place his forehead against her and let out a genuine smile, the smile she had fallen for from the start. 

 


author's note:
how was the one shot? any room for improvements? i hope i didn't disappoint anyone with it.