He Looks Like a Puppy

How Can You Love Me The Way I Love You?

Chanyeol groggily sits at the backseat of the car on their way to the university. He is not in his best mood this morning. He woke up late after sleeping the previous night past midnight already. Last night, her 5 year old baby sister Seulgi, has switched on again her hyperactive mode and being the best brother that he is, he played with her in the playroom which felt like eternity. He painfully remembered some of their brutal games wherein Seulgi climbed at his back while cutely squealing ‘Hiyahh’ which went for more than half an hour. After that, he did the ‘Chanyeol-copter’ where he holds Soohyun by her upper arms and twirls her around. If he would have known that this would be the result, he would have said no to his brat sister. Not that he had other choice. Chanyeol admittedly claims that aside from being a pabo-noona, he also is a certified slave of his dongsaeng.

Chanyeol is the 2nd child and the only son of the family. Being the only son, he has known since he was young that he will be inheriting the multi-billion businesses when he comes to the right age. Looking from an outsider’s perspective, it’s a lot of pressure on him. However, Chanyeol actually enjoys it a lot. Maybe it’s because of the fact that he has supportive parents and sisters who helped him embrace his future openheartedly. They are so proud in whatever he does that’s why he always strives hard to be the best whether in academics or extra-curricular. He has always been a competitor, but as what her mother always reminds him, “Be a gentle competitor, not a beastly predator”.

He barely noticed that the car door has been opened for him already signalling that they have arrived. Giving their driver a slow tap on the shoulder as a gesture of thanks, he immediately proceeded to his first class of the day.

He released a big sigh of relief upon arriving seeing that Professor Ha has not arrived yet. His third year in the university is no different from his previous years. Aside from aiming to maintain his perfect student record with topnotch grades and excellent attendance (with no late obviously), it would really be bad for his family’s image knowing that the university owner’s only son is a delinquent one.

He easily spots his empty chair beside his chatting best friends – Oh Sehun and Kim Jongin. With families all moving in the same business circle, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Kai have known each other well since they were still in diapers.

Well, his chair is technically not empty. Standing in the middle of the arm chair is the usual treat he sees every morning for more than two years now. Despite being groggy, he cannot help his lips slowly curving upwards seeing that a warm espresso is dutifully waiting for him.

As he settles down, he instantly looks at his right looking for the owner of those puppy eyes which Chanyeol really finds cute for a person.

“Baekhyun-ah, good morning. Thanks for this!”

Chanyeol saw how Baekhyun turns his head to his voice and barely hears the soft murmur of ‘You’re welcome’ from the smaller’s lips.

‘He really looks like a puppy.’ Chanyeol suddenly shifts his gaze away from Baekhyun before the atmosphere gets awkward.

It has been always like that - awkward. Although he considers Baekhyun as one of his friends in school, there has never been a time where they were able to bond or talk with each other aside from school stuff. They had numerous team case studies before where Baekhyun and he became teammates, but other than that, nothing. They only had exchanges of glances and smiles, but nothing more.

He clearly remembers his first encounter with Baekhyun and the first cup of coffee he received from him on that first meeting. He does not know how it happened but eventually, it became a part of him to expect one cup of espresso waiting for him at school every day.

Chanyeol considers himself a social person – friendly actually, but he never trusts easily. His dad has inculcated in him since then that there should be great amount of caution in whoever he puts his trust on. However, he actually does not know why he easily trusted Baekhyun by accepting (and expecting) his coffee every day. During middle and high school, whenever there were girls (and boys) giving him chocolates or food of any stuff, he actually accepted them but never ate them. He actually just throws them away when he arrives at home (sorry but not so sorry). He never trusted those girls (and boys) as they might put something on the food that he would regret forever.

But caution and trust be damned when it came to Baekhyun. Maybe it’s because of his innocent smile and cute puppy eyes. Or maybe because he likes the fluttery feeling whenever those sad puppy eyes sparkle after Chanyeol appreciates the coffee every morning. They may not be the typical friends, but Chanyeol considers a special bond between him and Baekhyun. For a tall person like him, he considers Baekhyun small which he thinks as the reason why at some time when he looks at the smaller, he wants to protect him.

‘Oh, Yoda  tower, you’re here!’ Chanyeol was distracted as he felt a loud slap on his left arm.

‘Yah! Kkamjong! That hurts!’ He exclaimed seeing that it was Jongin who slapped him and distracted him from his thoughts.

‘You’re late? Lucky for you, I heard them that Professor Ha would also be late today since the director needs him for an urgent matter. What kept you busy last night?’

Kim Jongin was asking him while wiggling his eyebrows and a naughty smile on his lips. He also saw the ever poker-faced Oh Sehun with amused eyes while looking at him waiting for his answer.

‘Yah! What do you mean by that? Seulgi was on her manic state last night and she made me her human horse until midnight!’

‘Yeah, whatever.’ Jongin snickered.

Chanyeol was about to snap back but was interrupted as Professor Ha made his way in front of the class. He intends to just adjust and properly settle himself on his seat while waiting for their professor to prepare the class material, but unknowingly, he found his head slightly turning to his right while looking again at the angelic face of his seat mate.

‘He really looks like a puppy.’

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

A/N. It has been a long time since I updated this story. Sorry!!! I already had the plot in mind but actually putting them in words was the problem. Thanks for subscribing and waiting for the progress of this story! Till next time. ^-^