Chapter 15

Shadows of the Dark

Junhyung was a little overwhelmed when he received a text from Hyunseung. Fromm the beginning, he was always the one initiating communication between the both of them. But little did Junhyung know that he will drop from heaven to hell in a few seconds.

Hyunseung told Junhyung to meet him at the roof of the school after lessons had ended for the day. Junhyung was supposed to meet up with Dongwoon and Gikwang after school to hang out. Dongwoon had wanted Gikwang to mix around more with Junhyung so that they wouldn’t feel awkward around each other.

“Woon-ah, I’m going to the roof to find Hyunseung. Go fetch Gikwang and meet me up there afterwards, all right?”

“Deh~”

Dongwoon was packing his bag while Junhyung grabbed his bag and ran towards the roof. Hyunseung skipped class and went to the infirmary to sleep with the excuse of having a bad headache. Junhyung could see the swollen bloodshot eyes hidden behind that black frame on Hyunseung. He wanted to ask Hyunseung what’s the matter, and he thought maybe the reason to Hyunseung asking him out was to tell him his problems. Without knowing anything, Junhyung happily walked towards the meeting destination.

Hyunseung have been on the roof since the first lesson. He was thinking of ways to talk to Junhyung so as to lessen the heartbreak for both of them. He knew that there are high chances that he will give up throughout the process of telling Junhyung. He will just end up telling Junhyung that he likes him too and he was not willingly to let this go. He felt tears wail up in his eye once again and tries to best to stop them from falling. He had cried so much last night that his eyes hurt by just blinking them.

“Hyunseung!”

Hyunseung gave out a silent gasp as his heartbeat started racing. Junhyung was smiling happily, slowly making his way through the door and made his way towards Hyunseung. The latter, who has been back-facing the door, took a deep breath and slowly turned to face Junhyung. Seeing the tone of Hyunseung’s expression, Junhyung’s smile dropped a little but he was still slightly excited with their meet up.

“Hey.”

“…Hey…”

Junhyung scratched the back of his neck at the awkward atmosphere between them. He took a step closer to Hyunseung, only to find him tensing up and moving closer to the edge. Junhyung’s smile dropped completely when he saw Hyunseung pressing his wristband, where his tattoo was. To Junhyung, that was an act of Hyunseung trying to ease the pain on his heart and only think about the pain of inking that tattoo.

“…Junhyung…I called you here…because…I…have something…to tell you…”

Hyunseung never once made eye contact with Junhyung. The latter felt that things are going the wrong way. He could feel that things will not turn out the way he expected.

“…Yes…?”

Hyunseung turned to his side, causing Junhyung to not be able to read his expressions and eyes as his glasses were covering his face. Hyunseung left out a loud sigh started twisting the wristband.

“Junhyung, let’s always remain as friends, okay?”

Hyunseung was scared. He expected the consequences of telling Junhyung this. He expected the worse. He thought that Junhyung might get angry at him, he didn’t want to lose this friend but he had no other choices. He just hoped that Junhyung will not be so angry till he throws him off the roof. But he expects something bad, and it never did come. Finding it odd, Hyunseung turned and look at the said man. Junhyung was all calm, a small bitter smile attached to his lips.

“Can I know what happened after you went DUSK to find Zico?”

“…He told me things I have never thought about, things which we would face in the future. Having a normal family is important for you, as an heir of Yong Enterprise…”

Hyunseung looked up to the sky, trying not to let the tears at the edge of his eyes drop.

“Junhyung-ah… I have thought through what Zico told me yesterday. Frankly speaking, I have never thought that far. I was happy with just remaining as friends now. But I wouldn’t know how my thoughts will change as the time goes by…”

Junhyung looks unnaturally calm and Hyunseung’s heartbeat was so loud that he felt like vomiting.

He admits that he has become a coward. He was really dependent on Junhyung and doesn’t wish to let him go. But he have to, Junhyung deserves someone better. Hyunseung never deserve to love, never deserved to be loved, that’s what he always remembered since the start.

“If you are thinking that you are not worth my love, I’m sorry, but that should be my line.”

Hyunseung shot his head at Junhyung. How did he know what he was thinking? How did he even have the slightest idea of what he was thinking about?

---

[Kiwoon side]

“Kiki~”

“Woonie!”

Dongwoon poked his head into the classroom to see Gikwang being the only one left in the classroom.

“I am sorry, was I late?”

“Ani~ our class has a party tonight and everyone went off together.”

“Ah! Are you going?”

“Nope!”

“Wae?”

“I rather spend more time with you.”

Gikwang looked down at his hands that were holding onto his bag. Dongwoon felt his heart flood with cottons and candies, feeling all fluffy and warm. He suddenly grabbed Gikwang and locked him tightly in his embrace. He buried his head in between Gikwang’s neck and sighed.

“One day, I will eat you up. But for now…I will let you off.”

“…???”

Not knowing what he meant by it, Gikwang looked at Dongwoon from his chest with huge confused eyes. Dongwoon crackled and held onto Gikwang’s chin. He placed a light peck on his lips and pulled him towards the direction of the roof.

“…Ah, yah!”

“Whoa, that’s really slow.”

"Yah!!!”

Dongwoon laughed out loud, earning fists pounding towards him. He caught both of Gikwang’s hands in his and kissed his knuckles. Gikwang blushed and looked at Dongwoon with surprise. The latter just shook his head and held onto Gikwang’s waist while guiding him along to towards the roof.

“Stop being so defenceless, you will get bullied.”

“…Only by you.”

“Hmmm…that’s true, since no one dares to offend the great secretary of the student council.”

Dongwoon giggled when he received glares from the small guy. It was only until they reached the flight of stairs towards the roof that they heard the mumbles of people talking behind the door. Both of them stopped their chatter when made soft steps towards the door. When Dongwoon was about to push open the door, Gikwang stopped him and signalled him to listen. The situation inside was not really how Dongwoon thought it will be. Hyunseung was crying and Dongwoon had never seen Junhyung look so pained. It was like…a physically pain that even having multiple tattoo pens wouldn’t cause as much pain as this.

---

[Junseung side]

“It seems that you never really felt the depth of my love for you, having to love you for a whole year, learning bits and pieces of you through the whole year.  I have never let one detail of your life slip through my hands. I remember every detail by heart.”

Junhyung smiled, but his smile pains Hyunseung’s heart even more. He rather Junhyung not smile, because the way he smiled makes Hyunseung feel like he just ripped his heart apart. Slowly tears his heart apart…

“But I guess Zico had his way of protecting you too. I did think about what he told you… having a child since it’s necessary for me to carry on the lifeline… but my parents knew and they knew gender to me is not an obstacle if I were to fall in love with someone I really love…”

“Jun, I thought about this myself too… You may not mind how people look at you. You may not care how the public talks about you. But I can’t, Jun. I can’t. I admit that I’m a coward, a weakling. I don’t have the confidence and bravery to be able to go through these without breaking apart inside. I really…really don’t want us… to end up not being able to talk to each other at all, breaking up at the end after I have gave my all to you… I’m scared, Jun.”

Hyunseung turned his back on Junhyung. He didn’t have the guts to face him. He finds that it was his fault, he was the big guy. He was selfish.  He wants Junhyung to himself, yet he doesn’t want to bear the consequences of being with him. He needs Junhyung, yet he act like he can’t have him. Hyunseung covered his head in his arms and leaned on the edge.

“I know I’m selfish. But I can’t help but to be dependent on you. Jun, I’m sorry…”

“…Seung-ah…”

“…”

“…I understand. I know no words can change what you think now. But I believe time will. I prove to you, you wouldn’t break apart inside even if you are with me. I will prove to you, I will love you and make sure whatever you have given me, I will be returned twice of it…For the time being, take good care of the heart there…”

Junhyung poked onto Hyunseung’s back where his heart was. Hyunseung doesn’t know why Junhyung is saying that. He doesn’t know what to do anymore. He wiped the tears on his face and sniffed his nose.

“I will see you later, Jun.”

Hyunseung ran out of the roof, only to bang onto the two boys outside. As a reflex, Hyunseung pushed his glasses and put his poker face back on and ran away. Dongwoon quickly went into the roof. Junhyung was just standing at the same place, looking at the sky.

“Hyung!”

“Woon-ah, am I not doing well enough…?”

“Hyung…”

“Junhyung-ah, I may not have a say in this. But Hyunseung don’t seem to have much confidence in relationship in general itself. It seems…you still have a long way to go.”

Gikwang stated and Junhyung knows that. Dongwoon and Gikwang looked at Junhyung with worried eyes. Junhyung sighed and stuck his hands into his hair. He mixed up his hand and let out a loud groan.

“I have a long way to go…But I should not start giving up now right?”

Dongwoon smiled slightly, he was really glad that at least Junhyung is taking it the right way. He placed his hands on Junhyung’s shoulders from the back and pressed on them softly.

“I will treat you to dinner tonight. You need lots of energy for this battle!”

Dongwoon smiled to Gikwang and pulled his hyung with Gikwang helping down the roof and off to their favourite place, Neverland.

---

A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY YANG YOBIE~!!!!! Hais. Not in good mood. I shall end this chp here. :) I will update the next chp asap. School just started today… and things dun seem to turn out good.