Final

Bittersweet

The two people sat beside each other like statues with absolutely nothing to say. There was a huge gap between them on the park bench where they used to cuddle, but the thing that’s worse was that the physical gap between them was nothing compared to the gap in their hearts.

The couple used to be so close, people joked that they might be surgically attached at the hip. They didn’t spend a single meal without at least feeding each other once. They used to dress similarly when they went out. They used to laugh so much when they were with each other, but looking at them now, people who knew them would be surprised at how much of a stranger they seemed to each other. Just sitting apart and not talking.

They would fight if they wanted to. Heck, they used to fight all the time, then made up passionately afterwards. Now they’re just left with nothing to say. Because of pride? Maybe. Maybe not. In the past, both of them would willingly give in to each other, even if they were both prideful and stubborn people. But the years past, and as they grew older, he changed, and she did too. Now, neither of them could bring themselves to bring up the dreaded subject that was on their minds. Breakup.

“So, how’s the dinner earlier?” It was his last attempt to save this relationship. Making small talk. He wondered how pathetic and pitiful he seemed right now, having to resort to that as a last resort, hoping to get something out of her. Hoping for her to say that she still cares. “It was fine.” She replied. But in actual fact, it was far from fine. She tried to spite him into starting a fight by ordering what she knew he would hate, but he didn’t flinch, didn’t protest, and ate it all. She mocked herself inwardly at a lousy attempt to get him angry, and in the heat of the moment, speak his mind. Hoping for him to say that he still loves her the same. That was her last attempt at saving this relationship.

He glanced at her. She was looking at the street lights, lost in her thoughts. And a certain memory came into his mind:

“Look! Those birds are making a nest!” She looked so surprised and amazed he couldn’t help but chuckle. Pulling her in, he focused his attention on the birds building their nest. “One day, we’ll build our own nest to have baby birds too!” She looked up at him, smiling teasingly. “Who told you I would wanna build a nest with you?” He chuckled good naturedly at her teasing and pulled her closer, planting a kiss on her forehead. “I know, baby, I just know.”

He smiled sadly at the memory and looked away. That was them in the very same park they were sitting in right now; at the very same bench; a long time ago. She was always in her own world. They were always in their own world. Their world.

Just as he looked away, she turned to look at him. She missed his profile, where she used to trace her finger along his forehead, down to his nose, down to his perfectly shaped lips, then kissed him lightly on his nose when he was asleep on her lap during picnics. ‘I’ll never forget that.’ She thought to herself as her vision fogged up. She turned away and blinked away the tears that were threatening to fall. Even though she was a crybaby, she refused to cry in front of him again, showing her weak side to him. She knew he was soft hearted, and she didn’t want his pity.

They knew it had to end. It was a good relationship, but they knew that they were looking for different things now, and they’d be better off with someone else instead of wasting their time with each other.

But neither of them spoke up, not wanting to end something that could’ve been great. Both holding on to the last bit of pride left in this relationship, both holding on to someone that used to, and still, mean a lot to them.

Eventually, they both spoke.
“So-“
“I think-“

And for the first time that night, they looked into each other’s eyes. Both of them saw the pain in their eyes, but unwilling to put down their pride or their stubbornness to get the relationship working again, they pretended not to see. “We should… You know…” He spoke up first. She nodded, then looked away. “We should at least shake hands, right?” He reached out his hand and twisted his face into a small sad smile, she took it, and for the last time, they shook each other’s hands.

Both of them sat wordlessly again for a long time after the handshake. But finally, she got up, seemingly nonchalantly, dusting off her bag. “I’ll make a move first, goodbye.” She gave him a small smile as she met his eyes, and he smiled back. ‘This is really the end.’ She thought as she turned around to walk away and tears started slowly sliding down her face.

He looked at her back view as she left; she was trembling slightly. He knew that being the crybaby she was and still is, she would put on a brave front, but be crying behind his back. He fought the urge to run after her and put his arms around her; but there wasn’t a reason to anymore. ‘This is the best choice.’ He thought as a single tear rolled down his left cheek.