Past

Multiple of Three
10K3M37D
 
The leaves were dipped in blood and the snow bled red.
 
Hoarse shouts overlapped each other as the air buzzed with energy. 
 
Hooves crashed down with thundering magnitude, the clang of steel fading by a single blade. The gleaming iris of a man's eye blurred as he took his final steps, an exhalation of despair clinging to his chapped lips. 
 
A single shadow loped in and out of the other shades, a thin line of rose showering their grimy steel boots. 
 
The shadow paused, the overhanging glare of torches forming a lean outline of a man. His thin bodied blade glimmered with sparks, while dewy drops of crimson formed a cardinal glow. 
 
Another man charged at him with teeth bared and hammer brandished. Didn't he know he was much too slow?
 
The shadow slipped his sword gracefully to the side, a neat cross letting colour spill across the floor. 
 
"Quercus cannot fall." The shadow declared, his deep voice whispering through the gloom. "Sheathe your swords or die, Eosian knights." 
 
"Tainted beings, you dare command us?" The knight's voice boomed and rang through each man's ears. He held his ground, his large golden sword swinging through the field with it's lion hilt. 
 
The resonance of wind chimes filled the air as a light chuckle escaped the shadow's lips. "Oh, frail human knight…" He hummed softly, his pupils turning red as he faced his contender. 
 
"It's time to die."
 
He moved much too swiftly then, his soft steps making the smallest ripples. They punctured flesh and ripped sinew, all the while singing a soft melody. 
 
The sparked blade glided across the knight's throat, the slightest protest failing to escape his throat. The shadow turned his body then, the blazing light revealing sharp chiselled features and pointed ears. A blotchy scar extended from his cheekbone down to his jawline, it's gradient curving as he smiled.
 
The battle was decided then, silver armoured bodies flitting away swiftly, leaving their fallen brothers behind. 
 
The elf his heel, frowning with disgust. "Quercus cannot fall, wretched humans." 
 
Loud clamours of celebration broke out now, the rest of the elves cheering excitedly. 
 
That lone elf, on the other hand, disappeared into his white tent, his cape bearing a claw insignia trailing behind him with an air of grace. His gaze fell onto a little cot in the middle of the room, a feathered quilt covering a baby. He reached his hand towards the baby, his finger gently trailing across her flushed face.
 
"Quercus will not fall," He smiled bitterly as his shoulders slumped. "At least, not for now."