His Perspective

Unanticipated

Another cold, snowy day in Seoul, but to celebrate the coming of a new year full of new adventures, many families and friends decided to enjoy their time at a ski resort.  Usually, the main point of fun at a ski resort is to, of course, ski.  Not for two young adults however.

 

*****

 

YOUNGBAE’s POV

 

C’mon, Youngbae.  Just relax yourself.  I took in a breath, exhaled and faked a shooting motion without the ball.  Then I took the ball from my side and dribbled it a couple times.  Let’s go.  I took in another breath and prepared to shoot, until I was rudely interrupted.

 

“Youngbae-ah, hurry up and shoot the ball!,”  Jiyong yelled to me.

 

“Hold up, dude!  Just practicing my shooting form first!  Now I have to restart again,” I replied.

 

“It’s just a free throw, dude.  It’s not that important.”

 

“So what if I don’t practice this free throw shooting motion?  What if in the last seconds of the championship game, I get fouled and miss my free throws then?  Pretty important, right?,”  I countered.

 

“Whatever.  Not like you’ll be the hero again like last time.  Now shoot already please?  I wanna take a shower and you called it first,” Jiyong joked. 

 

“Youngbae-ah!  Jiyong-ah!  Hurry up and get ready for your kiddy party!,” Hyunbae hyung yelled from the hallway.

 

“Aish.  Fine.  Here we go,” I said before shooting the basketball.  Swish.  Nothing but net.  “Told you practice is important, Jiyong-ah.”

 

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

*****

 

Sigh.  Jiyong-ah told me to hurry up, but he’s the one taking a nice, long shower.  Geez.  Now what do I do?,  I thought to myself as I entered the room where the party for young adults, really just a kiddy party, took place.

 

I was actually in awe of the setting though.  Balloons everywhere.  Streamers as well.  Pool tables and video games on the sides.  A buffet of really delicious-looking food.  A place outside that would be an ideal place to look at the New Year’s fireworks.  This party might actually be fun, I thought.

 

However, the main event seemed to be some karaoke stage, where two spotlights would randomly shine on two kids, choosing them as the next singers.  God, I hope I’m not chosen.  Hopefully Jiyong-ah will be chosen before me if anything.  He deserves to be unlucky right now.

 

I decided to go and get a drink for myself, and on the way back, I met some kids I became friends with during this winter break.  We talked about how we dreaded that we had to return to school soon, but also couldn’t wait to go back as well.  I know.  Redundant.  But that’s how high school is.  You hate it, but you enjoy it as well.

 

All of a sudden, my eyes were met with a shining light and that could only mean one thing.  Damnit.  Why do I have to sing?  I don’t wanna embarrass myself, I thought as I went to cover my eyes a bit from the light.

 

The MC said, “our two lucky winners, c’mon up and rock the house with your singing!”

 

Just then, my friends were pushing me up to the stage.  “Wait.  Guys.  Guys!  I don’t want to sing.  You can go up instead.  Guys!,” I told my friends.

 

When I bumped into someone on the karaoke stage, my friends stopped.  I turned around and bowed in apology.  “Mianhae, my friends pu-…”

 

My partner was a girl.  A cute girl.  And it seemed like she was embarrassed to be up here as well.  I guess we’re in the same boat of embarrassment here.

 

The MC welcomed us and started the music already for us.  What the heck?!  Starting the music already?  But there was nothing I could do.  The first singing part was about to begin.  Whatever.

 

Living in my own world,

Didn’t understand.

 

I cleared my throat with a small cough before continuing.  The crowd behind us went back to whatever they’re doing.

 

That anything can happen,

When you take a chance.

 

It seemed that the girl didn’t want to sing, so I thought it would be fine if I left.  But then it happened when I turned away.

 

I never believed in,

What I couldn’t see.

 

I stopped in my tracks.  I turned back to her.  Her voice is beautiful, almost angelic.

 

I never opened my heart, (oh oh)

To all the possibilities  (ooh).

 

I added a bit to her part, to show her that she’s not alone in singing the song.  She responded with her own.

 

I know

That something has changed

Never felt this way

And right here tonight,

 

This could be the start

Of something new

It feels so right

To be here with you (oh oh)

 

The cute girl and I started stealing glances at each other, though we still were a bit awkward from being on stage.

 

And now, looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart (Feel in my heart)

The start of something new (oh yeah).

 

I started to loosen up a bit and took off my jacket.

 

Now who would ever thought that (mmm),

We’d both be here tonight? (oh yeah)

And the world looks so much brighter (brighter, brighter)

With you by my side (by my side)

 

The girl seemed to loosen up herself as well.

 

I know

That something has changed

Never felt this way

I know it for real,

 

This could be the start

Of something new

It feels so right

To be here with you (oh oh)

 

And now, looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart (Feel in my heart)

The start of something new (oh yeah).

 

We started looking into each other’s eyes as we sang, and we felt comfortable with each other now.  Now came my solo part.

 

I never knew that it could happen

‘til it happened to me (ohh oh yeah)

 

I had taken the mic stand I had and brought it down slowly, singing into the mic.  The girl had giggled towards my action and I got to see her wonderful smile.  Now we sang together in harmonization again.

 

I didn't know it before


But now it's easy to see

 

The girl held that last note beautifully.

 

It's a start


Of something new


It feels so right


To be here with you

 

I started to approach the girl as we continued to sing.

 

And now looking in your eyes


I feel in my heart

 

She fell a bit off the stage, but I was able to grasp her hand and pull her back as we smiled towards each other.

 

That it's the start

Of something new


It feels so right


To be here with you

And now looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart


 

The start of something new


The start of something new


The start of something new      (Start of Something New - High School Musical)

 

We finished off the song staring into each other’s eyes, while the crowd around us cheered at our performance.  After a few seconds, I introduced myself.  “Annyeong, Dong Youngbae immida.”

 

“Annyeong.”  The girl gave me a cute smile before continuing.  “Kim Taeyeon immida.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note:  Since I'm sure that my description of their actions during the song isn't that great, here's the actual scene for reference:

 

)

 

And like I said, there will be some changes that I'll make from the movie, like the singing out of nowhere.  It's okay for the movie, but in a story like this, it doesn't really fit.  So for these parts, I'll just make them into emotions and keep the singing for when they actually need to sing.