Chapter 1

Icy Hardships, Warm Hearts [HIATUS]

   The unbearable cold began to seep in from her thin clothing to her bones as Hyemi slowly opened her slightly swollen eyes. She looked around and emitted shaky breaths. Struggling to bring herself to stand, the pain jolted her from head to toe, causing her to whimper in pain and grit her teeth as hard as she could, but no avail, she collapsed onto the icy ground. Not long before a minute passed, her cheeks moistened from the warm tears in her auburn eyes that ran down her face, only to disappear into the harsh snow.

   1 week ago…

   Drinking the umpteenth glass of soju, Hyera, Hyemi’s once elegant and caring mother, placed the little cup on the table with a loud slam while hanging her head low, confirming that she was completely drunk.

   Feeling her heart sink as she saw her mother in such state, Hyemi sighed inwardly. Ever since her father’s suicidal death, Hyera completely changed into an insane alcoholic. Every so often, she would be quite cracked and batter her guiltless daughter until she was satisfied. Hyemi did have plans to break out but the thought of what would happen after she would traumatize her each time to stay instead.

   Screeech! Hyera dragged her chair back while she stood up and gave a look of distaste at Hyemi, who was very familiar with it. Knowing that there was nowhere to run or hide, Hyemi closed her eyes and remained still as her intoxicated mother stepped closer and closer.

   -Flashback end-

   No, I shouldn’t give up and wait until I die. I have to survive!, Hyemi concluded keenly in her thoughts. Although her clothes had blood stains, her whole body was covered in fresh cuts and bruises and also had her bones fractured. The cold seemed to numb her, reducing the excruciating pain slightly. She browsed the place she was in once again, trying to recall any memories of her walking through this forest-like path. She steadily got to her feet whilst holding onto a black tree closest to her and limped her way across the trail.

   Little by little, memories of her enjoyable childhood emerged before her. Her dry, chapped lips turned vaguely upwards in grimace, wanting to turn back time and have the taste of freedom once again. Sadly, no one and nothing would ever do such an action.

   After hours of turning and changing directions, she came to a halt to glance through, which made her relieved, not until the aches began to put pressure on her and fall on her knees. Her vision turned hazy, her teeth chatter and her breaths shortened. No matter how many signals her brain sent to her weak limbs to move, they never listened. Fatigue came to her as if she was punched by a clutched fist, causing her to black out.

~*~

(A/N: I know it's too short but I'll try write longer for Chapter 2! ^^ )