Throwin Shade and Chicken Wings

Family and Friends Day

Every month Brown Baptist Church has their Family and Friend's Day. On this day you are expected to bring someone to the church for worship and a meal. The ladies at the church were asked to bring a dish or dessert on this day. Everything usually went as planned except for one thing: Mrs. Jackson's green and cornbread casserole, and this Sunday the Deacon's wife Serena was not going to let it sit on the food table.

Serena was married to Deacon Bartholomew Jacob Jones aka Siwon. He was one of the youngest Deacons the church has had and he was very popular amongst the flock. Serena on the other hand... not so much. It wasn't that she was a mean spirited person it was that she just didn't take anyone's and called people out when needed. She was especially hated by Mrs. Jackson. 

Mrs. Jackson had been married three times and was on the fourth. Gossip was that Mrs. Jackson had eyes for the young Deacon and that didn't fly to well with Serena. And to make their beef even worse, Mrs. Jackson had the audacity to bring that nasty casserole to every function the church had.

"Today is the day," Serena whispered. She was going to make sure that disaster didn't get a spot next to the potato salad. Siwon rolled his eyes and grabbed his bible. 

"Honey God said vengeance is his and to wait for the glory of the Lord." Siwon warned.  

"I know, but who puts collard greens and cornbread in a casserole?" Serena couldn't fathom how you could take two of God's blessed dishes and turn it into the work of the devil. 

"It's like she just slapped Jesus in the face, if you asked me." They pulled up to the church in their shiny BMW and parked in the Deacon's special spot. 

"Look baby can you be on your best behavior today? I don't wanna whoop nobody today." Siwon asked. He just wanted to get through this day unscathed.

"Fine, but only for you."

The service was going fine. Reverend Al Betterdressedthanyourfave Sharperthanyou'lleverbe Jones  was finishing up his sermon. There were a ton of people in the crowd waving their fans and holding up holy hands of praise. One lady caught the ghost and ran around the room a few times before she passed out and had to be ushered out.

They were sitting in their normal seat at the very front. Serena had on her big purple church hat and a baaaad dress every woman was envying. Siwon was dressed to the nines with accentuating colors.

It was now the part of the service where they read the announcements and all the ladies got up to get the meal prepared. Out of the corner of her eye, Serena saw Mrs. Jackson get up and walk out. Serena hurriedly got up and followed suit.

"Hi Mrs. Jackson what did you bring today?" Serena asked as nicely as she could. 

"My famous green and cornbread casserole of course," Mrs. Jackson was really proud of her little dish.

Serena couldn't stop herself from laughing, "It's famous all right; famous for being the worst dish at the meal."

"And what is that dish in your hand?" Mrs. Jackson shot back.

"Definitely not that nasty crap you got in your hand sis." It was on a poppin after that. They were in the fellowship hall where every meal was served. The other sisters had gathered around to watch the match unfold. They were secretly cheering on Serena because Mrs. Jackson's dish was horrible.

"Don't get it twisted little girl, I won't hesitate to put my Christianity down and whoop your in here." Mrs. Jackson threatened. Serena was already out of her shoes and had pulled he hair up and taken her earrings out.

"Bring it ya old hag."

And before Serena could register it, Mrs. Jackson threw her casserole on her. Unseasoned greens and dry cornbread was all in her hair and on her clothes. Some of the women were happy that her clothes were ruined. So Serena grabbed the closet thing to her: a pan of chicken. She hurled it at Mrs. Jackson and then began to beat her with  the pan.

Right before the pan bent, Deacon Bartholomew Jacob Jones pulled Serena away and out the room. Everybody was stunned at what happened although happy that Mrs. Jackson dish was gone.

The meal went as planned after that, but the fight was the only thing people could talk about. Siwon and Serena dodged the meal; Siwon embarrassed and slightly and Serena just embarrassed. 

"Baby I'm sorry." Serena apologized.

Siwon smiled, "It's okay even though I don't know how the flock will see us, but you did whoop her though."