Carved

Destiny

At the back of a church somewhere, there is a tree sliced in half, with another tree growing within it. There was a story that once upon a time it was just an ordinary big, old tree. It was the meeting place of a priest and a nun who were forbidden lovers. Because of the immorality happening under its shade, it is said that God punished the said tree by striking it with lightning and cutting it in half. The lovers took it as a sign and asked forgiveness from God before going on their separate ways. They said that God forgave them by letting a new tree grow within the old one.

Spring, 1969

" Baozi, hurry. Someone might see us! " Luhan said panicking and sweating while his boyfriend Minseok is busy carving their names in the trunk of the famous tree they have at the back of their church.

" Easy! No one will see us. It's so early in the morning! And look, I'm finished. " Minseok said proudly and hugged Luhan. They both admired the writing on the tree.

Minseok and Luhan Forever

" I love you, Minseok. "

" I love you too, Luhan. "

Luhan felt hot lips press on his own, making his heart flip. But he doesn't budge. This is exactly where he wants to be forever.

This is love right? As long as we're together, everything will be fine.

They strolled around for a while, holding each others hands firmly. This little time they have with each other is must be treasured. Soon, the sun is setting and they forgot the time. Luhan is frantic, but before going, he pressed his lips against Minseok's.

" Tomorrow again right? I love you Minseok forever and ever. " Luhan breathed.

" LUHAN! "

Luhan froze. The voice was familiar. His mother. Luhan turned and found his mother looking angry along with his other brothers and relatives.

No, no, no, his secret was already revealed.

Luhan's mother lunged for him, but Minseok was quick. He blocked Luhan's mother and kept Luhan behind him. Luhan's mother slapped him.

" You disgusting fool! You afflicted my son with your virus! Do you think you will live happily together? No! Luhan! Come here right this instance! "

" B-but Mom .. I love him .. I love Minseok ... Please, let us be together. " Luhan gripped Minseok's hand. Minseok was hurt by Luhan's grasp but he didn't flinch.

" Stupid! A man was only meant for a woman!"

" Is there any law forbidding our love? " Minseok asked calmly.

For the second time, Luhan's mother slapped him.

" God only made two genders. Male and female. Adam was for Eve. Romeo was for Juliet! "

" If your God is so forgiving as they said to be, wouldn't he forgive us because our love was real? "

" You do not question God! " Luhan's mother roared. " Kris, Tao, take your brother away! "

" No! " Luhan gasped. Still behind Minseok.

" I will fight for Luhan. For our love. " Minseok stand firm in his ground.

With a single wave of hand, three men lunged at Minseok and started beating him while two pried Luhan away from him. Minseok tried fighting back but he was overpowered. Soon enough, Minseok was on the ground, bloody and helpless. Luhan was crying while held back by his two older brothers.

"No, mom.. Pleaseee. Let him go. I'll go with you. Stop, please stop. "

With another wave of hand, the three men stopped beating Minseok and Luhan was also freed from his brothers. He rushed over to Minseok's side and cradled him.

" Minseok, I'm so sorry. I cant fight for our love. I'm not as strong as you. I cant let you stay like this. I cant watch you be beaten to death. "

" Lu-han.. No .. I can .. I can do this .. Even if they ... were ... a  thousand .. I'll protect --- "

" Sshh. You've done enough. I love you forever. Goodbye."

Luhan bent over and kissed Minseok. Now, his heart hurt so much especially when he tasted blood on Minseok's lips. He cursed himself. He cursed his conservative family. He cursed everything and wished for another time when he can be happy with his Minseok.

Luhan was dragged by his brothers with Minseok clutching his leg. But one kick in Minseok's shin and he instantly lets go. Luhan let out a strangled cry. Minseok looked him straight in the eye and mouthed I love you.

Two lovers, each with a broken heart, watch the other as he slowly disappeared from sight.

Spring, 2000

" Minseok! What are you doing there? Our tour guide is already far away! "

Minseok looked up to his cousin Kyungsoo and gestured him to come over.

" Kyungsoo-ah, look at this tree. It has a carving. " Minseok traced his hands over the carving on the said tree. It was supposed to be long, but the other writings cannot be read. Only one word is readable.

" Luhan? Do you know someone named Luhan?" his cousin asked him.

" No.. But it feels weird. Like, I should know this name. " Minseok isnt lying, its like there is an invisible force bringing him to the said tree.

" That's weird. It's only our first time coming here. Besides, there must be a thousand people with that name. " Kyungsoo said. " I'll go first. See you at the bus later. Dont get lost okay? Text me. You and you're weird interests."

Minseok run his hand along the said name again. He tried to think if the name was of any significance in his 20 years of existence.

Suddenly, a hand bumped into his own.

" Hi ! I saw you looking at the carvings. Are you a tourist? " a guy with a cute smile was suddenly on Minseok's side.

" Uhm. Yes. "

" Do you like my name? " the guy asked him.

Minseok was taken aback. " Your name? "

" Yeah. " the guy also run his hands on the carvings. " I am named after my father's first love. This is my name. I'm Luhan. " the guy extended his hands to Minseok.

" Oh yeah? What a coincidence. I was also named after my father's first love. I'm Minseok. Nice meeting you. "