Hostage

Blue Smoke

I thought it was a dream come true but that’s not how it turned out. “Sure dad I’ll go to Seoul for a week to meet the son of a client, why not?” Idiot.

“Mr Park if you ever want to see your daughter Yoona again, you will give us exactly what we want,” the boss of the 팔란 연기 (read: palan yeongi) gang says.

I guess I had it coming, after all I shouldn’t have ditched that stupid body guard dad assigned to me. Poor Suho is probably out of a job because of me being a childish brat.

“Please send two billion won to our off shore account by midnight tomorrow or little Yoona here will start losing body parts.”

Little? Please! I’m five foot three, that’s hardly worthy of being called little! And why can’t they be original? Midnight tomorrow? Wow never heard that one before in every bad movie!

“It’s gonna take some time! Give me one extra day! If I move too much at once then the cops will notice!” my father’s panicky voice crackles through the speaker, raising in volume gradually as he speaks.

Please tell me he’s getting help from the cops and that we won’t make these idiots angry, I don’t fancy losing any limbs if I’m honest.

I hear the men around me go silent as if considering my father’s words. I hate the blindfold that covers my eyes more than anything… Well… As much as the rope that’s holding me to this stupid bed frame anyway.

“Fine, you get one extra day. But remember old man, the longer you take the more time she spends here and who knows what my boys will do to her if they get bored,” his taunts are met by the laughter of his fellow gang members, one of which runs a hand through my straight black hair before my cheek. I feel sick.

Keep it together; you’ve got to use your head! How can you get out of this? Obviously you need to get out of these restraints and the gag and the blindfold. But you also have to get past the men in the room and not wind up dead. Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps I should just wait for dad.

I hear the men end the call and file out of the room, their departure made definite by the sound of the lock clicking shut.

I waste no time and immediately begin to try to loosen the restraints and to shake off the blindfold. I don’t know how long I do this; whether it’s minutes or hours, but I know it’s all for nothing when I hear the door open again.

“So what do we have here? Another damsel in distress? Hopefully you’re prettier thank the last one because yikes!” I hear the voice draw closer and know that this new man is standing over me, taking in my appearance. “Oh well, time to find out!”

I feel something cool brush my face and moments later the cloth that covered my eyes is gone. Once my eyes have adjusted I begin to take in my surroundings, I start with the rusty bed frame I am lying on before looking at the computer and phone on the other side of the room. The last thing my eyes settle on is the man who spoke to me only moments before.

Except he’s not a man, he’s a boy. If I had to guess I’d say he’s my age, roughly 17, 19 at the most. I take in his dark brown, almond shaped eyes that glint mischievously before following his sharp jawline to his full lips and –

Ugh stop it already, Yoona! He’s part of a gang, not a boy band! Seriously, get it together!

I narrow my eyes at him and refuse to aknowledge him for anything more that some low life thug who is currently trying to keep me from escape so that he can make a profit.                                                        

 “My name’s Kai and I guess you actually are better than the last girl!”

“Bite me, you creep!” I retort, only to be muffled by the gag.

“Sorry but what was that?” he smirks, raising a hand to his ear as if to help him hear better, “Here, let me help you.”

He produces a knife from his pocket and, still smirking, cuts through the second piece of cloth, “You were saying?”

“I said; bite me, freak!” I snarl.

“Is that an invitation?” he winks.

“Ugh I hate you!”

“That’s funny because all the girls in my school used to love me!”

Great, so he knows he’s hot too! Just what I need: a captor with an ego.

I roll my eyes at him causing him to pout in mock disappointment. “What? You don’t think so?”

“You wanna know what I think? I think you’re going to hell, if not jail.”

My comment earns a fake gasp of shock from him before his face returns to its smirk.

“You know what Yoona? I kinda like you so let’s make a deal. I protect you from all these ugly morons and you make sure your daddy gives us the money. Okay?”

I pause and try to read his facial expression, searching for any signs of disloyalty in his dark orb-like eyes. Seeing nothing I nod, “Fine. So how exactly are you– “

I’m suddenly cut off by the sound of a phone echoing across the room and Kai walks across the room to a discarded duffel bag, emerging moments later with a shiny new iPhone.

Wow crime must pay well nowadays. Please be your lame boss telling you he’s had a miraclulous change of heart and that I’m free to go! Yeah, as if that’s going to happen.

“Hey! Suho?– Wait, slow down! – Look I know this job is important to you and you need he back but – And what about my money?! Ugh fine hyung! Jeez!”

He slips the phone back into his bag and turns to me, a scowl plastered across his face, attempting to hide the excitement in his eyes. “New plan. We’re breaking you out instead."