Number One

Short Stories

Rule #1 of Seoul Private Academy: If you don’t belong to the top of the social hierarchy, you must despise Oh Sehun and his clique. Why?

 

Because him and his friends are a bunch of arrogant, condescending bastards with no regard for school. They’re all stupid as ; and, as the salutatorian of the junior class, I have the authority to say so. All they do (what was that stupid name they made up for their group? EXO-K? Isn’t O the word for “” in Spanish? Is that how these es chose their name?) is talk about girls, partying, girls, being cool, and- you guessed it!- girls. Real symbolic.

 

Rule #2 of Seoul Private Academy: Sehun and his clique are required to be treated with the utmost respect. If you’re a jock, a boardie (your parents are on the school board), or a billionaire, this means you act like they’re your best friends. If you belong to a band, you’re a millionaire, or you have a special talent, treat them like they’re your teachers. The debate and science teams- along with the band geeks and the GPA - have to regard them as royalty.

 

I belong in a class of my own. My responsibilities are simple: avoid EXO-K at all costs, or I’m screwed. Sehun and I have a few... problems with each other.

 

Finally, rule #3 of Seoul Private Academy:

 

Don’t with EXO-K.

 


 

Hyuna punches me softly in the arm. “Dude, it’s your turn. Which one do you want: barf on a stick, barf on a bun, or just plain barf?”

 

“Keep your voice down,” I hiss as the lunch lady shoots her an evil look. “It’s the first day of school. Do you really want to get on the cafeteria’s bad side?”

 

Suddenly, we hear a commotion at the front of the line. I crane my neck to try to see what the source of the chaos is. “What the-,”

 

Hyuna groans. “Are they really going to do this this year, too?”

 

A gang of 6 attractive, well-dressed guys have cut the entire line and are casually ordering lunch, disregarding everyone waiting before them. No one dares to say a word, however; I doubt anyone’s brave enough to pick a fight with EXO-K on our first day back from summer break. All of them- especially Sehun- will remember it and make your life forever.

 

“Excuse me, ladies,” a smooth voice drawls. Baekhyun slides past Hyuna and grabs a pear from the fruit basket. “Hyuna,” he winks. “You’re looking pretty today, as usual.”

 

“I know,” she scoffs, rolling her eyes. Hyuna’s the only one who can get away with back-talking Baekhyun. The two were an item back in the 7th grade, so by his strange rules of breakups, Hyuna has superiority over him because she broke up with him. I don’t get it. Shouldn’t he hate her? Or are they one of those “we’re still friends” ex-couples?

 

Whatever. All I know is that he’s an , and Hyuna’s full of sass.

 

“You haven’t introduced me to your friend,” Baekhyun says, turning to me. “I don’t think I’ve seen you around here, cutie.”

 

“We’ve been in the same history class for 2 years,” I blandly inform him. He quirks an eyebrow.

 

“Really? I would’ve noticed you. What’s your name?” Hyuna is about to drag Baekhyun away from me when someone does it for her.

 

“What the hell are you doing, Baekhyun?” an irritated, horribly familiar voice says.

 

“Oh, no,” Hyuna mutters, pushing me behind her. “, Baekhyun, hide her-,”

 

“Well, well, well.” I cross my arms. “Look who the cat dragged in.”

 

Sehun, the king himself, jerks his head around from Baekhyun and sneers down at me. “Look, the 16-year-old wonder has emerged from her den! Tell us, how does it feel to be the only person in the entire high school who’s never kissed a guy?”

 

I flash my teeth in a shining grin. “It feels fabulous, Sehun! Oh, how are your hemorrhoids doing? It must be hard dealing with them on top of all the other STDs you have. , sorry, am I using too many big words for itty-bitty-Sehunnie?”

 

He narrows his eyes in a furious glare. “Say that again, you stupid .”

 

I sigh, shaking my head. “Aww, you need me to repeat that? I’m sorry. I knew your brain can’t process more than 2 sentences at a time.”

 

The entire lunch line has frozen in their activities to gape at me and Sehun in shock. Even the lunchladies have ceased dumping piles of brown “mystery meat” onto Styrofoam trays Baekhyun is staring at me in utter shock.

 

“Damn, I should’ve been faster in hiding you,” Hyuna groans under her breath.

 

“Wait a minute,” Baekhyun suddenly says, a light dawning in his eyes. “Are you- Sehun, is she that girl?”

 

“Sadly, yes,” Sehun responds.

 

    “What does that girl mean?” I snap irritably.

 

    You’re Park Mihi,” Baekhyun informs me, staring at me with raised eyebrows and an expression of disbelief. “Sehun’s self-proclaimed arch enemy who’s completely obsessed with him.”

 

    Pshaw!” I guffaw loudly, causing Hyuna to jump in alarm. “Self-proclaimed arch-enemy? Obsessed? Yeah, right! Is that the bull he’s been feeding you?”

 

    Sehun gives me an aggravatingly superior smirk. “I only speak the truth, Mihi.”

 

    “ you.”

 

    He turns to Baekhyun. “See? She’s so thirsty for me.”

 

    “Go to hell, Sehun!” I shriek.

 


 

    Oh yeah, you know those rules I mentioned a while ago?

 

    Yeah, I never said I followed them.

 

    Except for #1, of course. I’ve mastered Rule #1.

 

    But the day I adhere to rules #2 and #3 is the day I will marry Oh Sehun.

 


    

See, I didn’t always despise Sehun like this. In fact, not a long time ago, I was pretty scared of him in that “he’s-a-popular-rich-jock-and-I’m-the-equivalent-of-pond-scum” kind of way.

 

But it all changed last summer.

 

Unlike the members of EXO-K, my parents don’t have a million-dollar trust fund set up in my name. When I attend Seoul National University after I graduate (which I will- there’s no way I can be rejected), I won’t be able to easily pay full tuition. Which is why I took a job at Kalbi Grill, a local restaurant, over the summer.

 

It was disgusting. I never want to go near a barbeque place again. And if I have to hear another person holler, “One more order of beef here!” I swear I will vomit.

 

The worst part about working at Kalbi Grill wasn’t the food; it was the repulsively rude attitudes of the customers. Had these people never heard the word “please” or “thank you” in their lives?

 

But I digress. Let’s just skip back to one muggy Saturday night, when I was working a double night shift, which lasted from 10 PM to 2 AM- 4 excruciating hours. It was 1:30 AM when Sehun and his friends walked in, screaming and shouting and disrupting the tranquil peace that had beset the restaurant in these early hours of the morning. It was clear that everyone in the group was drunk. Surprisingly, no one else from EXO-K was there. Just Sehun. And a lot of girls. A lot of girls. He could’ve passed for a pimp.

 

Is that why he’s so rich?

 

They sat themselves down at a big table, loudly guffawing and knocking over cutlery. After losing a round of rock-paper-scissors with Gyuri, my co-worker for the night, I grudgingly went to take their order.

 

“Hello, welcome to Kalbi Grill,” I greeted them tiredly after setting down several glasses of water on their table. “Can I get you all anything special to drink?”

 

“Uhh... 9, 10, 11, 12 sojus!” a girl wearing bright red lipstick giggled tipsily.

 

“Make it 15!” one of the few boys in the group shouted, and the entire group collapsed in a fit of laughter.

 

“Hey, you go to Seoul Private, don’t you?” Sehun hiccuped, tipping back in his chair and eyeing me under his messy brown hair.

 

“Yes,” I replied warily, perfectly aware of who he was.

 

“Give us a discount, then,” he said.

 

I glanced up at Gyuri, who was staring at the group with a repulsed expression. No, she mouthed, shaking her head.

 

“Sorry, but I can’t,” I replied apologetically. “If you don’t have enough money to pay, then please don’t order-,”

 

The group roared in a fit of raucous laughter. “‘Don’t have enough money’- are you stupid?” one boy chortled.

 

Sehun stood up, nearing too close to me for comfort. The group went quiet. Gyuri slowly raised herself from her chair, tense.

 

“I know you,” he slurred. He smelled like alcohol. I resisted the urge to gag. “Y-You’re one of those p-pathetic advanced class losers whose only redeeming quality is her grade point average.”

 

My eyes widened. I blinked rapidly in disbelief.

 

“Do y-you know who I am?” Sehun grabbed a glass of water from the table, and raised it high above his head. “I’m up here... and you’re down here.” He tipped the entire glass of water onto my head.

 

I stood there, gaping at him in shock, dripping in ice water, as everyone shrieked with laughter. My emotions at the moment were indescribable; a medley of disbelief, shame, horror, and, most prevalent of them all, anger.

 

Sehun staggered back to his chair, his lips twisted up into a smug little smirk. He high-fived one of his friends.

 

In that moment, I lost all inhibitions. Every single warning sign in my head that reminded me that this was Oh Sehun, one of the most powerful guys at school, just turned off like that.

 

Before anyone could stop me I grabbed a half-filled glass of water from a girl, marched over to Sehun, and dumped it straight on his head.

 

“Get the hell out,” I snarled.

 


 

Needless to say, that little encounter didn’t end well. Sehun reported the incident to my manager and I was fired from my job (despite Gyuri’s protests that he started it first). I also gained a mortal enemy in Oh Sehun. Not the smartest move.

 

But if you’re wondering why I’m so... unreserved around him- well, try having a guy dump a glass of cold water dumped on your head, and see if you can still act civilly around him.


 

I receive a blue note from the office during my 5th period.

 

Park Mihi- come to the principal’s office ASAP.

 

A pang of fear strikes my heart. ! Am I in trouble? What did I do? Oh my god, is this about Sehun? , , !

 

By the time I enter Principal Choi’s office, I am about to keel over from a heart attack. However, he sees the expression on my face and chuckles.

 

“You’re not in trouble, Miss Park,” he tells me. “On the contrary, you’ve been selected to attend a very special event.”

 

    I blink. “Wait, really?”

 

    “As you are aware, the prestigious senior awards assembly is tomorrow, at the Hallasan Park Pavilion. As the junior salutatorian, you have been invited as a guest to this assembly, along with the junior valedictorian. Think of it as a preview of what you’ll experience next year.” Principal Choi winks.

 

My eyes widen. “Wait, the junior valedictorian’s coming, too?”

 

“Yes. Why is that so surprising?”

 

“Nothing, it’s just... no one knows who the junior valedictorian is.”

 

Despite my best efforts- along with the 15 other people in my class that care about their grades- we had not been able to determine who our class valedictorian was. They were very good at staying on the downlow.

 

But now I would finally get to discover who it was.

 

“Actually, I called him down to the office, too.” Principal Choi glances up at his clock. “He should be here any minute.”

 

Ha! So the valedictorian was a he? Maybe it was Jungyeol. I always knew that sneaky bastard had a reason for hiding his GPA from me.

 

The door creaks open. I whirl around, eagerly anticipating the person walking through the door-

 

“Sehun, you’re here!” Principal Choi smiles. “Just in time.”

 

No.

 

No.

 

No.

 

I think I just died.

 

And went to hell.

 

Sehun spots the flabbergasted expression on my face and smirks.

 

I can feel the flames at my skin.


 

“Surprised?” Sehun sneers as we exit Principal Choi’s office. “Guess all those crappy insults you made about my supposed stupidity are all invalid now.”

 

I am too dazed to reply. Holy . Why didn’t I realize it before? Sehun speaks too intelligently for a dumb jock. I mean, would your typical rich player use the word “invalid”?

 

“Your stereotypes about others are truly impressive,” he scoffs, and I realize- in mild mortification- that I accidentally spoke my thoughts aloud.

 

“S-Sorry,” I cough, avoiding eye contact with him. “I... uh... um...,”

 

“What’s the matter, Sal? Cat got your tongue?”

 

My head snaps up. Sehun is grinning down at me.

 

“What did you just call me?” I demand.

 

“Sal. As in ‘salutatorian’. As in not valedictorian.

 

“Shut the hell up!” I shriek, finally losing it. “I don’t know how this is even possible! You- you’re Oh Sehun! The brattiest, dumbest head in the school!”

 

“Oh, keep going,” he smirks, leaning back against a wall. “This is good.”

 

“You’re the same guy who stumbled into ing Kalbi Grill at 1 in the morning, drunk as ! And then proceeded to pour a glass of water on my head! How are you supposed to be valedictorian? You- wha-,”

 

“Oh, I remember that.” Sehun rubs the back of his neck. “You poured water on me.”

 

“Yeah, after you poured water on me first! Why were you even out at that hour? That’s so bad! What would your parents say?”

 

“Lucky for me, they’re in Jamaica right now.”

 

“But you didn’t even have your friends there with you. I didn’t recognize a single person in your group. That’s so sketchy- stop laughing!”

 

“Those were my cousins from England,” he snorts.

 

I blink. “Oh. Well, why were you guys out that late? And why were you drinking! You’re underage!”

 

Sehun slings a patronizing arm over my shoulders. “Sal, you need to chill.”

 

“Get off me!” I kick him straight in the shins. “And don’t call me that, you piece of !”

 

“Oh, I’m wounded.” He clutches his heart while backing away. “Well, it’s been fun, Sal, but I gotta get back to class.”

 

“Wait,” I call after him, and he pauses.

 

I open my mouth, and then close it again. My throat seems to be tightening up for some strange reason.

 

Finally, I manage to choke out, “Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

 

“What?”

 

“That you...,” I swallow. “That you were valedictorian.”

 

Sehun looks at me, unusually serious. I wait for his answer, trying to hide my desperate expression.

 

He responds, “I didn’t think it was important.”

 

    I gape after him as he strides away.

 

    He didn’t think being valedictorian was important?

 

    How can he say that? He’s number 1 out of nearly 800 people. How can he consider being that unimportant?

 

    And then it hits me: Oh Sehun has everything already. Money, popularity, looks, power, everything. The title of valedictorian must simply be another achievement to add to his pile, another title for this perfect prince. Fury and shame swirl in my stomach, fury at this unjust situation, fury at all his unfair advantages.

 

It’s not fair! Sehun beats me in everything already. The one thing I had going for me was my grades. I constantly berated him for being stupid, and he never bothered to correct me. How embarrassing!

 

    Now I don’t even have my grades.

 

    The bell rings, and students soon flood the hallways. I stumble through the crowd, disoriented and stunned.

 

    “Mihi? Mihi!” A voice rings out from the chaos. I feel someone reel me to the side of the lockers by the arm.

 

    “Hey, are you okay?” Hyuna presses a hand onto my forehead, biting her lip. “What’s wrong? You seem completely out of it-,”

 

    “Hyuna,” I whisper, and my face crumples.


 

    “So he’s valedictorian?” Hyuna exclaims, brandishing a spoonful of chocolate frozen yogurt. Being the amazing best friend that she is, Hyuna quickly hurried me out of school 5 minutes after I had started crying, and driven us to the nearest froyo place. Now I was suffering in humiliation over 20 ounces of yogurt. A vast improvement.

 

    “That’s impossible! Sehun’s a complete !” Hyuna shakes her head. “No. No way. Why didn’t he ever say anything?”

 

    “He said it was because it ‘wasn’t important’,” I respond in a small voice.

 

    Her eyes nearly pop out of their sockets. “Not important-,”

 

    “I don’t even know why I’m getting so frustrated over this!” I exclaim, slamming my hands on the table. Hyuna jumps up in shock. “I’m just- so damn mad!”

 

    “Don’t be! Salutatorians still get admission to top tier colleges-,”

 

    “Not that! I mean- just- the person I hate the most is above me.”

 

    My best friend sighs, spooning another bite of yogurt into . “You know, I had this theory that he liked you.”

 

    What?

 

    “I mean, if it was anyone else fighting with him all the time, he would’ve, like, destroyed them. Remember what he did to Ha Yoonjae after he dissed him in freshman biology?”

 

    “But that doesn’t mean he likes me! Dude, Sehun and I hate each other! We’re literally arch enemies! He- I can’t even fathom the idea of him liking me!”

 

    “Chill,” Hyuna says, holding up two hands. “I said it was a theory, okay? I just thought he was interested in you.”

 

    “That’s stupid. We hate each other.”

 

    “You’ve said that at least 10 times in the past hour, Mihi.”


 

    “Ah, welcome to the Senior Awards Ceremony, Mihi,” Mrs. Hong, the assistant principal of our school, smiles. She is standing at the entrance of the pavilion, in front of a large white archway adorned with flowers. Behind her, I can see several upperclassmen meandering around as a few workers finish arranging tables and chairs in front of a large brown podium, or put the finishing touches on the refreshments table. “You look so nice!”

 

    “Thank you,” I grin, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. I dislike dresses, but this one- a flower-print scoopneck with a pleated skirt- is surprisingly comfortable. Coupled with the fact that Hyuna straightened my hair and did my makeup, I feel pretty cute.

 

    “Here, let me get someone to show you your seat- Minho, come here.”

 

    A tall, handsome senior strides over to us; I recognize him as Choi Minho, #3 of the senior class... and a complete hottie. My face turns slightly pink as he gives me a small smile.

 

    “Why don’t you show Mihi to her seat, Minho?” Mrs. Hong suggests. “I’ll be double-checking everything in the meanwhile.”

 

    She hurries away, and I am left alone with Minho.

 

    “So, you’re Park Mihi?” he asks.

 

    “Yup,” I squeak, ducking my head to cover my blushing face with my hair.

 

    Minho chuckles. “Oh, I’ve heard about you.”

 

    My head snaps up. “From where?”

 

    “Junior salutatorian, right?”

 

    “Oh. Yeah. Uh. That’s me.”

 

    He laughs, and I embarrassedly tug at a piece of my hair. “Stop laughing,” I say petulantly.

 

    “Aw, you look cute when you pout.”

 

    “Stop,” I huff, blushing even harder.

 

     Minho takes my arm. “Well, should I you to your seat?”

 

    “That would be nice,” I beam. He winks, turning around to lead me to one of the tables-

 

    I bump smack into someone.

 

    “Gosh, I’m sorry,” I apologize- before I realize who it is.

 

    Oh Sehun looks down at me, his eyes slightly widened. He is clad in a sharp white button down shirt and a crisp striped tie, and he did something to his hair; gelled it up so that it makes him look more mature.

 

Sehun admittedly looks nice.

 

    But that is not enough to get rid of the resentment rising up in my chest.

 

    “Oh, hey Sehun,” Minho gives him a friendly nod.

 

    Sehun ignores him. Instead, he stares directly at me.

 

    “Nice to see you, Sal,” he remarks, finally breaking the silence. “You cleaned up for once.”

 

“Minho, let’s go,” I utter, turning on my heel and walking away.

 

“He looked pissed,” Minho mutters. “What’s wrong with him?”

 

    “He’s an asshat, but what’s new?” I scoff. “I hate Oh Sehun.”

 

    Minho introduces me to some of his senior friends, who’re really cool. They sit around, joking about senior year and colleges and who’s going to get what award. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Sehun surrounded by a swarm of upperclassmen. All of them are giggling and joking and speaking to him animatedly. Our eyes meet for a second. I quickly look away.

 

    “Is that Oh Sehun?” Hyoyeon, one of Minho’s friends, snorts. “Are you telling me he’s valedictorian of your grade? No way.”

 

Oh Sehun?” Taemin, another senior, guffaws. “How much did he pay to get that title? He’s totally stupid. There’s no way he could really be valedictorian.”

 

Several others nod in agreement. “I hate him and his friends.” one girl says. “They’re so arrogant and condescending, when they have no right to be.”

 

“Sehun’s not even as hot as everyone thinks. I don’t even think he can see over that upturned nose of his.”

 

I squirm. The seniors’ vicious attacks on Sehun are making me uncomfortable. Yes, he is the worst person I know. Yes, he’s awful and spoiled and mean. But why do I feel so guilty?

 

“I’m going to go get some punch,” I stutter, hurrying away.

 

“I’ll come with you,” Minho says, jumping up. “I have a question for you, anyway.”

 

“A question?” I ask as we are heading to the table. “What is it?”

 

“Do you... uh, how do I put this?”

 

“What?”

“Are you and Sehun a thing?”

 

I stop dead in my tracks. “Excuse me?”

 

“It’s just that I noticed you weren’t joining in on the Sehun bashing, although you supposedly hate him. And just the way you guys looked at each other- sorry, I’m probably reading too much into the situation-,”

 

“I do not like him! We’re not a thing!” I screech, flailing my arms around. “Sehun and I are sworn enemies! He’s done so much to me! Ew-,”

 

“But do you really hate him?”

 

I pause, chewing on my lip. Now that I think about it... the most I’ve felt towards Sehun has been extreme anger, irritation, and humiliation. Theoretically, those elements should add up to yield hatred. But somehow, they don’t.

 

    “Okay, I don’t hate him,” I admit. “I just dislike him very much. What’s the difference?”

 

    Minho shrugs. “Dunno, but that’s a start, isn’t it? Hello, Sehun.”

 

    I whirl around. Sehun is leaning against the refreshments table, staring at me with an unreadable expression. My face feels hot. How did I not recognize him sneaking away from his groupies and coming up behind me?

 

    “What do you want?” I bark.

 

    “I’m just here for some Dr. Pepper,” he says amusedly. “Continue with your conversation.”

 

    “Go away, Sehun!” I huff angrily. “Why do you always have to be where I am?”

 

    “So I’m not allowed to get something to drink? Wow.”

 

    “I’m just going to leave you two,” Minho says, chuckling.

 

    “Great, now he’s gone.” I cross my arms. “I hate you.”

 

    Sehun smirks. “You hate me? Don’t you mean you strongly dislike me?”

 

    My jaw drops. So he heard everything. “Hate, strongly dislike. Same thing.”

 

    He sighs. “Poor, poor Sal. What a confused girl.”

 

    “Stop calling me Sal!”

 

    “Why? You can call me Val.”

 

    “Seriously, stop.” I sigh. “Just... don’t.”

 

    The expression on Sehun’s face morphs from condescending to serious. “I still don’t understand why you’re this upset. Salutatorian is still an amazing position.”

 

    “I know.” I purse my lips. “It’s just the fact that the person who’s #1 is... well, you.”

 

    Sehun stares at the ground for a good minute. “I work hard, you know. I didn’t buy the title... contrary to what most people are saying.”

 

    I lower my eyes. “I never suggested that you paid to be valedictorian.”

 

    “I know. I’m talking about others, like the people you were sitting with... who, judging by their stares, have been talking me this entire time.”

 

Sorry,” I say quietly. “It must be a first for you, though. No one ever criticizes you or badmouths you.”

 

“Are you stupid? You’re not the only one who hates- oh, strongly dislikes- my guts.” Sehun gives me a smarmy smile before proceeding. “It’s just normal for a figure as prominent as me to be admired and hated at the same time. That’s what you get when you’re a school idol.”

 

I snort. “Shut the up. You’re not a school idol.”

 

“Blah, blah, whatever.” Sehun runs a hand through his hair. “I’m an idol.”

 

“Dense,” I cough into my palm.

 

We stand in silence for a few more moments, not talking to each other, not looking at each other. Finally, he says, “You look really nice.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Wanna be friends?”

 

I blink. That came out of nowhere. “Huh?”

 

Sehun shrugs. “We’re both smart. We’d be a lot more powerful if we were on the same side.”

 

“And what exactly do we need to be on the same side for?”

 

“Well... you seem really down about this whole ranking situation. So, well, if we were friends... you, uh, you wouldn’t be so sad about me being ranked higher than you, right?”

 

I stare at him for one second, two seconds, three seconds. “Are you suggesting that we become friends so that I feel better?”

 

“Uh. I guess. I don’t know.” Sehun’s face is pink. “Why the hell am I doing this? This is ridiculous. I have to go-,”

 

“I think that’s really nice.” And for the first time in my life, I smile at Oh Sehun. He freezes for a moment, and just stares with wide eyes.

 

    “This is a historic moment,” he finally utters. “Park Mihi has paid me a compliment. Put this in the newspaper.”

 

    “Shut up, idiot,” I huff, rolling my eyes. “Okay. Friends. Are we done here?”

 

    “Friends are supposed to help each other out. Get me one plate of salad, a few bread rolls on the side, and some of those ribs, too. Oh, and a Dr. Pepper.”

 

    “Sehun!” I exclaim angrily, and he winks.

 

    “Just kidding, Sal.”


A/N: im so sorry for the cliche plot and the writing LOL I wrote this over a period of 5 days at 1 in the morning after I had given up on done all my homework

and hey friends is a good place to start for sehun and mihi! But okay confession time.... I'm a little eh about writing kiss scenes now because of the dumbest reasons..... so i had my first kiss and at this party last week and it was so gross it felt like a slug was writhing around in my mouth it was nothing like i had expected so now every time i'm like "i should write a kiss scene" im like "do i really want to put my main character through that.... she doesnt deserve it

#stopromanticizingkissing2K14

#thatdoesntevenmakeanyingsense #kissingissupposedtobearomanticthing #iamtraumatized