Presidential Wars

Short Stories

 

    Presidential Wars

 

It begins when Nara reads the club information email sent to her on Tuesday. It is the first meeting of the Seoul High Chess Club, of which Nara is the captain. The subject line of the email reads Club Budget Roster. As Nara opens the email, her fellow members of the chess club crowd around her.

 

    “Ooh, goodie,” Minah, the Vice Captain of the Chess Club, claps her hands. “Let’s see what our budget is this year.”

 

    “Hopefully the student council’s increased it,” Hyuk says. “Last year we barely had enough money to enter chess tournaments. At this rate, I’ll have to tutor underclassmen to raise funds again.”

 

    To all clubs of Seoul High,

 

Attached are the budgets of each school club for the upcoming school year. Spend your money wisely!

 

Lee Jihae, Seoul High Vice President.

 

    Spend your money wisely,” Haejol mimics in an annoying falsetto. “Ugh. I hate Lee Jihae.”

 

    Nara scrolls through the list, looking for the chess club’s new budget, as her friends continue talking.

 

“Is Lee Jihae the girl who wore a spandex body suit to school because the administration told her she was showing too much skin?” Hongbin snorts. “Just saying, that body suit wasn’t hiding anything. You could see the outline of her-,”

 

    “Yeah, that’s the one,” Minah clucks her tongue. “The school couldn’t do anything about it, though. Her family’s a huge benefactor of the school. And she’s super popular amongst teachers and students alike.”

 

    “I hate popular people,” Soo Jin groans. “Lee Jihae and Byun Baekhyun and especially Kim Joonmyeon-,”

 

    Hyuk is cut off by a sharp gasp from Nara.

 

    “What’s the matter?” Hongbin asks, peering at the computer screen. “I don’t see-,”

 

    And then he goes slack-jawed, along with the rest of the chess club.

 

    “10,000 won?” Soo Jin finally stutters in a hoarse voice. “No. No way. That won’t even be able to pay for a chessboard!”

 

    “This has to be a mistake!” Minah exclaims. “We requested at least 80,000 won! Why the hell are they only giving us 10,000? We won’t be able to carry out club activities!”

 

    “Take a look at this,” Nara says in a low voice. She scrolls through the budget list for the other clubs. “The computer club, math team, science club, and debate team only got 10,000 in funding too. But how about the football team?”

 

    6 million won?” Minah shrieks. “What the ?!”

 

    “The cheerleading squad is getting 1 million won,” Hyuk breathes, his eyes wide. “And... holy , the student council is getting-,”

 

    “10 million won,” Nara says. Her fists are clenched. “This isn’t fair.”

 

    Suddenly, the sound of a door slamming open breaks the chess club out of its shocked stupor.

 

    “Yo, did you guys look at the new budget?” Jung Jungkook shouts, waving his calculator around frantically. He is wearing a neon green shirt that reads “Seoul High Math Team: Can’t Touch This!” A picture of a tangent graph with asymptotes is printed under the slogan. Nara cringes at the cheesy pun.

 

    “We just saw,” Hongbin growls, shaking his head. “This is bull. No way.”

 

    “Are you guys talking about the budget?” a soft voice asks. Kim Hyorin, secretary of the Book Lovers club, tiptoes into the room. The other members of her club follow behind her, angrily clutching tattered copies of Animal Farm and Modern Tyranny. “We just saw it too. We really don’t like it.”

 

    A stream of disgruntled academic club members floods the chess club practice room. The tumultuous din is growing deafening. Minah throws Nara a desperate look, and Nara nods and clears . Almost instantly, everyone goes silent.

 

    “Alright, everyone,” Nara says, striding to the front of the room. “We have to figure out a way to fix the budget situation, so it’s more equal. How about a few representatives from each club talking to the student council?”

 

    “Impossible.” Jung Hyosung from the Business club shakes her head. “We all know the student council. They won’t listen to us at all, and we all know it.”

 

    A general consensus of agreement sweeps through the room. Nara’s mouth twists into a cringe. Hyosung’s words are true.

 

    The student council of Seoul High is comprised of 5 people. All 5 of them are extremely popular, wealthy, good-looking, and talented. And all 5 of them have the personalities of vicious, ferocious monsters. Oh Sehun, Jung Jessica, Byun Baekhyun, Lee Jihae, and Kim Joonmyeon. A shudder passes through Nara at the thought of Kim Joonmyeon especially.

 

There aren’t many people who intimidate Nara, but Joonmyeon definitely strikes a red flag in Nara’s book. There’s just something about his sweet, angelic looking exterior that unnerves her... and the fact that he hides a devil beneath it.

 

    “Okay, so talking to the student council is vetoed,” Nara says. “Other options?”

 

    “Dethrone them!” Hyuk yells, and giggles echo through the room.

 

    “You know, that’s not a bad idea,” Hyosung says, tilting her head. “It would be awesome if we had another student council... or at least a new president. When the president falls, the entire student council topples down with him.”

 

“And elections are coming up really soon!” Kang Dae adds.

 

    “But we won’t be able to replace the current student council,” Soo Jin says slowly. “They’re so popular. They’ll win by a landslide.”

 

    “But think of how many people have been smited by the student council, and the popular people in general,” Hyosung persists. “If we unite, we can take them down! It’ll be a statement: the lower classes of the high school social hierarchy can defeat the elites!”

 

    There are nods throughout the room. “But who would run for President?” Kang Dohyun, the President of the Science Team asks.

 

    Hyosung turns to Nara. “Nara. Obviously.”

 

    Nara’s eyes widen. “What?”

 

    “Hey... that’s actually pretty good,” Hwang Bora says slowly. “Nara, you’re, like, a tactical genius. You’re so good with strategizing and planning. Plus, you’re nice. I would totally vote for you.”

 

“But Joonmyeon’s smart, too,” Nara responds. “He is valedictorian.”

 

Soo Jin lets out a pshh! “Just because he’s valedictorian doesn’t mean he’s smarter than you,” she tells Nara. “You’re better at scheming and planning. Captain of the chess team, remember?”

 

“Nara for Prez!” someone calls out, and the entire room starts chanting, “Nara! Nara! Nara!” Nara’s face flushes.

 

“Alright, I’ll do it,” she finally says, causing everyone to whoop and holler and cheer. “But I’ll need all of your help.”

 

Minah squeezes Nara’s arm. “Of course,” she smiles.

 


 

“Hey, did you guys hear?” Baekhyun announces to his table at lunch. “Joonmyeon has competition for the role of president.”

 

Guffaws and chortles echo through the air. A smirk appears on Joonmyeon’s face.

 

“And who do I have the pleasure of crushing to a pulp?” Joonmyeon asks.

 

Baekhyun responds, “Lee Nara.”

 

Joonmyeon’s nose crinkles. “Who the hell is that?”

 

“She’s one of the advanced class nerds.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “She still can’t beat you, though, Mr. Valedictorian.”

 

“Lee Nara?” Jihae scoffs. “Isn’t she the chess girl?”

 

    “Yeah.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Is she running because she’s pissed about the whole budget thing? The chess club doesn’t even need money anyway. All they do is sit around and move some plastic pieces on a board.”

 

    Jessica nods frantically in agreement. “Ohmigod, today, some foreign language club loser came up to me and was all like, ‘Give us more money for our club’, and I told him that he should be more worried about getting more money for himself, so he can buy some clothes that don’t look like they were made in a goddamn cottage somewhere. Jesus.”

 

    “Well, the mandatory meeting for all student council candidates is tomorrow,” Sehun tells Joonmyeon. “So you’ll be able to see how this Nara girl looks like. I bet 500 won that she’ll have double-banded braces and has a face full of zits.”

 

    Seohyun hears this from the other end of the table and titters. “Her hair will look like a black bush. Or possibly like greasy string beans.”

 

    “She’ll blush when she sees me, of course,” Joonmyeon sneers, and the whole table starts cracking up.

 


 

    “The meeting for all candidates is tomorrow,” Hyosung tells Nara. “Minah, Soo Jin, Hyuk, Kang Dae, Hongbin, and I will all accompany you.”

 

    “Don’t,” Nara says. “Make it look like my run for presidency is an isolated effort. Then, Joonmyeon will underestimate me, which means his first round of campaigning won’t be as intensive.”

 

    Hyosung lifts an eyebrow. “Hm. Okay.”

 


    

    Joonmyeon is seated in the Lecture Hall, several of his friends surrounding him. Although he is laughing and joking around with his friends, Joonmyeon’s eyes occasionally dart over to the door.

 

Where is this Lee Nara girl? He wants to see his competition. Of course, he will easily be able to beat her, but Joonmyeon wants at least something to joke about.

 

    Baekhyun is discussing the various pastries they could buy with the student council’s massive budget when the door creaks open. Joonmyeon’s eyes snap to the door... only to look away when he realizes it is only Mr. Dae.

 

    “So is everyone here?” he asks in a friendly voice. Mr. Dae loves the student council- especially Sehun, for some strange reason. But Joonmyeon is definitely his second favorite.

 

    “I think everyone’s here, except for 1 person,” Jihae chirps.

 

    Suddenly, the door opens again.

 

    “I’m here as well,” a girl says, and strides to a seat near the front of the Lecture Hall.

 

    Joonmyeon freezes.

 

    Lee Nara is not pimple-clad or equipped with thick braces and bushy hair. She has straight black hair that extends down to her waist, soft pink lips, and a small nose.

 

But her mannerisms are what causes Joonmyeon to lose his breath.

 

Nara’s gait is confident and firm, even when 15 of the most popular students in Seoul High are staring at her. She moves nimbly, with purpose. Her eyes are dark, impassive, analytical, meticulously taking in every detail her surroundings and examining everything.

 

When Nara scans over him, Joonmyeon can’t help but swallow.

 

“She’s completely alone. She won’t be real competition, Joonmyeon,” Jessica hisses, and Joonmyeon snaps out of his stupor. He narrows his eyes at Nara.

 

Crush her, he wills himself. Defeat her and destroy her.

 

But Joonmyeon is wondering how he has never noticed her before.

 


 

An entire group of the popular people are staring at Nara. But she can really feel Joonmyeon’s eyes on her. Nara takes in his ruffled brown hair, his expensive clothes, his half-open mouth.

 

He’s probably surprised that he has any competition, Nara thinks. It is evident from the evil glares she received from his other friends that her run for presidency is not welcome.

 

“Hello, everyone,” Mr. Dae says. “So, just a few quick reminders for this election. First, you can make posters but they cannot take up more than half a wall. Second, you will have to deliver a memorized speech to the student body before the election. Third, no foul play. This concludes our meeting.”

 

“They could’ve just emailed this information to you guys,” Xiumin remarks, but Baekhyun shakes his head.

 

“But then we wouldn’t have been able to see Lee Nara,” he says. “You know, she’s not bad looking. Actually, she’s kind of cute.”

 

This comment earns him a slap on the arm from Jihae. “Um, hello? She’s a complete nerd?” she mutters.

 

Everyone begins filing out of the Lecture Hall. Joonmyeon purposefully steps behind Nara, only maintaining a few inches of distance between their bodies. When they finally exit the Lecture Hall, Joonmyeon says, “So, you’re running for president, too?”

 

Nara turns her head so it is partially facing Joonmyeon. “Yes,” she replies bluntly.

 

“Mmm. So what made you want to run?”

 

“Just the unfair policies the current student council currently passes,” Nara replies, her expression impassive. “Like pampering the popular people and not focusing on academics.”

 

Joonmyeon scoffs. “Sure. Well, good luck trying to muster votes. Look, I’m saying this because I’m a nice guy. You should just drop out now.”

 

Nara fully turns towards Joonmyeon, and he is hit by the intensity of the determined look in her eyes. She stares at him for a good minute, causing him to shift uncomfortable. Finally, she tells him, “Thanks for the advice. But I don’t think the best candidate will have any problem winning. Right?”

 

And Nara walks away.

 

“Why do you look so pissed?” Hyoyeon asks, walking up to Joonmyeon. “What were you talking to Nara about, anyway?”

 

“She’s going down,” Joonmyeon utters.

 

Joonmyeon despises her.

 

But he also kind of admires her.

 


 

    “The plan worked to some extent,” Nara announces to the multiple clubs gathered in the Chess Club meeting room. All the academic clubs in the school formed a temporary coalition for the sake of the election, dubbed the “Academic Association”. Nara was declared the President of the A.A.

 

    “So what happened?” Hyorin inquires.

 

    “Basically, Joonmyeon and all his friends think that I have no backing. They think I have no one voting for me, which is good. However, Joonmyeon wants to take me down. But that was expected.”

 

    “Was it scary seeing the entire student council and all the popular people gathered in one place?” Haemi asks in a hushed tone. “I would’ve peed my pants.” Laughter echoes throughout the room.

 

    “Okay, here’s what we’ll do.” Nara leans forward on her table, her hands clasped together. “We’re targeting all the people who hate the popular crowd. That’s why I need to seem as relatable as possible. Tech team, where are you?” A band of students in the corner raises their arms. “You guys will be in charge of engineering the promotion video. The art and lit clubs can be in charge of designing posters and publicity.”

 

    By the end of the Academic Association meeting, every club has a task to complete. Nara plans to unveil her tactics gradually, so the students’ interest in her campaign will be prolonged. Joonmyeon won’t think I have no votes for long, she realizes grimly. We’ll have to act quickly.

 

Nara is writing down possible methods for gaining the popular vote when someone taps her on the shoulder.

 

    “Hey, Nara,” Minah smiles. “You didn’t actually answer Haemi’s question. How was it facing all the popular people at the meeting?”

 

    Nara sighs. “It was a little nerve-wracking. And Joonmyeon talked to me afterwards.”

 

    Minah’s eyebrows perk up in interest. “Really? How was he?”

 

    “He’s handsome, and he can use that to his advantage,” Nara responds. “It was clearly displayed by his demeanor-,”

 

    Minah cuts her off, batting a hand. “No, Nara. Don’t describe him in terms of the election. Just... how was he?”

 

    “He ,” Nara says bluntly. “I didn’t think it was possible for someone to be that cocky. The rumors are all true.”

 


    

    Stage 1 of Nara’s election plan takes place a week later.

 

    “I need to get my face out there first,” Nara explained. “I’ll do this by appealing to students’ most basic primal interests: food and .”

 

When Hyosung spit out her orange juice upon hearing the last word, Nara hastily explained that she was just talking about looking pretty.

 

    “Nara, stop using such radical terms,” Hyosung groans, shaking her head.

 

    So on Friday afternoon, Nara is sitting at a booth set up in the school commons, handing out double chocolate chip cookies with “Nara for Prez” written on them in icing (courtesy of the Science team, who are apparently incredible at baking as well).

 

Furthermore, the Improv Drama Club dressed Nara in an adorable lace button-down top tucked into a short sailor skirt. The Drama club members even managed to get some makeup on Nara, much to her disdain.

 

    “Vote Nara for Prez!” Nara smiles as she hands a cookie to a tall, gawky looking boy carrying an iPad. He nods dazedly, gazing at her face.

 

    “You’re attracting quite the fanclub,” Minah giggles. Nara rolls her eyes.

 

    Suddenly, the sound of a boom! echoes through the commons. A young student- presumably a freshman- is squatting on the floor, picking up her books. Standing above her is no other than Kim Joonmyeon.

 

    “Watch where you’re going,” Joonmyeon growls, kicking the girl’s books away. The freshman whimpers a soft apology, blinking back tears. She reaches for a scattered book... but someone picks it up for her.

 

    Joonmyeon’s eyes widen as he sees Nara bending over and collecting the freshman’s books. “Here you go,” she smiles, handing the books to the underclassman. “Are you okay?”

 

    The freshman nods rapidly, grinning at Nara gratefully. “Thank you so much,” she tells Nara. “I really appreciate it. And Joonmyeon... I’m really, really sorry for bumping into you.”

 

    Joonmyeon has to tear his eyes away from Nara (why does she look even prettier today?) and give the freshman a condescending look. “Don’t let it happen again,” he asserts, and the freshman nods ashamedly.

 

    Nara tightens her fists. “Thank you, Joonmyeon, for helping her. As the President of our class, you care so much about students. Maybe one day you can actually haul and do something other than bully others for once.”

 

    There is pindrop silence in the commons. Joonmyeon glares at Nara, taking a threatening step forward towards her.

 

Did she really just say that?, Joonmyeon wonders. There’s no way. No one has the balls to say that to me.

 

Someone drops a bag and suddenly, it is as if the silence has been broken. Everyone in the commons goes back to what they were doing previously.

 

But more people begin visiting Nara’s cookie booth.

 

Stage 1 is a success.

 


 

Nara is walking out of her last class, heading out of the building. Suddenly, someone grabs her wrist and pulls her into a side hallway. Within a flash Nara finds herself pinned to a row of lockers by her arms. Joonmyeon glowers down at Nara, the intensity of his anger nearly causing her to quake in her shoes.

 

“What the hell did you pull at lunch today?” Joonmyeon snarls, tightening his grip on Nara. She hides a wince; his fingers are digging into her skin.

 

“Let go,” Nara says calmly, looking him straight in the eyes. Joonmyeon refuses to back down.

 

“Not until you answer my question. Who do you think you are? How dare you say those things to me?”

 

“I merely spoke the truth. You’re student council President, yet you don’t care about your students. You only care about yourself.”

 

Suho lets out a short bark of laughter. “So? The school voted me into office. If they really don’t want me as President, they should elect someone else.”

 

“That’s what I’m here for,” Nara says softly. “I’m that other candidate they’re going to elect. Because you aren’t furthering our class whatsoever.

 

Yet again, Joonmyeon is hit by the aura of pure intelligence radiating from her eyes. They are analyzing him, his tone, his words, his very being, and calculating, thinking, strategizing. Joonmyeon is usually not scared by people. But Lee Nara is intimidating.

 

And she’s beautiful. She looks even more beautiful today. Even Joonmyeon has to admit that.

 

But Nara must be eliminated. His run as Class President is more important.

 

Because Joonmyeon is the only person who can be president.

 

“Do you even know what the Class President does?” he asks Nara.

 

Nara blinks. “Of course. Manage the other officers, communicate with the administration. Take student suggestions on how to arrange class events.”

 

Joonmyeon lets out a short burst of laughter. “That’s just the tip of the iceberg. I have to calculate expenditures for forecasted class fundraisers and events. I also have to visit community stores to facilitate our relations with them so they can keep funding us. This includes catering to these businesses’ every need, which includes working 8-hour shifts twice a week at the local convenience store every week, and dressing up as a sandwich to promote the sandwich place.”

 

Nara gasps. “You’re Saejul the Sandwich? The guy in the costume outside their store?”

 

Joonmyeon grimaces. “Yes. In addition to the these I’ve listed, I have to keep track of every damn thing the school does involving one of our students. Then, I have to document all that information and keep tabs on their progress. None of the other officers do anything, so I have to take care of their jobs as well."

 

"And to top it all off," he concludes, "I have to maintain my grades because I'm valedictorian. Do you really think you could handle all this as President?”

 

Nara raises her eyebrows. She had no idea that being Class President would take that much work... considering how dissatisfied so many people were with Joonmyeon. Nara was under the impression that the Student Council did nothing but waste the budget, but from Joonmyeon’s description...

 

However, Nara merely replies, “Yes, I am. But if it’s so much work, how come you want to be President?”

 

Joonmyeon grits his teeth. “Because I’m the only one that can do it.”

 

And for some bizarre reason, the determined look in his eyes causes Nara’s heart to flutter. She can tell Joonmyeon is being genuine in his words. She can see the passion behind his demeanor.

 

But an image of the A.A. flashes in Nara’s mind. The supportive faces of Hyosung and Soo Jin and Daehyun and everyone else smile up at her. Nara snaps out of her thoughts. She pushes Joonmyeon off of her.

 

“I would say otherwise,” Nara says lightly. “I’ll see you around.”

 

And she walks away from an enraged Joonmyeon.

 


 

Nara is gaining more and more supporters by the day. Once inconspicuous, she is constantly waved to and smiled at. One boy even comes up to her and yells, “You have my vote!” in the middle of the hallway. It is very sweet.

 

Joonmyeon is watching Nara’s campaign progress with frustration. He has not been this stressed since the week before midterms. Why is she successful in her efforts? Doesn’t the school know how tough it is being President?

 

Of course not, he realizes with a scoff. They all think I’m just a pretty face.

 

There is something about Nara that draws people to her like moths attracted to light. Joonmyeon has realized this, and he knows that Nara is carrying out stages of her campaign strategy.

 

With Nara's rise in popularity, she is also gaining a significant number of haters; the entire popular crowd. Joonmyeon has witnessed Nara being tripped and pushed in the hallway by one of his friends on more than one occasion. Sometimes he feels like he should do something to stop it, but then he takes a look at Nara's cool demeanor and decides against it.

 

It is getting harder and harder for Nara to keep her detached mien.

 

The anxiety and pressure of the elections are getting to her. Nara can't eat, sleep, or even study without thinking about the student council. The A.A. is fervently supporting her all the way, but sometimes Nara feels like she is going to let them down by not winning.

 

Joonmyeon's friends aren't making anything better. They're vicious. But somehow, Joonmyeon isn’t as bad...

 

A shudder passes through Nara. Falling for the enemy? How cliché!

 

But the enemy is intelligent and hard-working and confident and handsome.

 

Nara shakes her head.

 


 

The day of election speeches roll around. Nara is dressed in a sleek black business skirt and a white button-down shirt. Her hair is pinned up in a tight bun. As the AV crew clips a microphone onto the lapel of her shirt, Nara takes a deep breath. The entire student body is sitting out there. 2,000 people. I can't screw this up.

 

    Joonmyeon emerges from a side room, looking smart in a crisp black suit and red tie. Nara swallows and turns away. Don’t let him distract you. She closes her eyes and continues reciting her speech in her head, over and over again.

 

    “You look nervous,” an amused voice remarks, cutting across Nara’s thoughts. Nara opens her eyes, irritated. She gives Joonmyeon a cool look.

 

“I’m not,” Nara says. Joonmyeon scoffs. He can see how her usual perceptive, scrutinizing look has disappeared, replaced by fear. Nara isn’t fooling anyone.

 

“We’re all set to go. Nara, you’ll be out in 5 minutes. Come and get in position,” the AV crew calls. Nara takes a deep, shaky breath, standing up. It’s time. Terrifying thoughts of stumbling on her words, the entire school laughing at her, and- most of all- Joonmyeon’s condescending face when she messes up fly through Nara’s mind. Her head throbs with anxiety and her hands are trembling and her legs feel like jello-

 

“Whoa.” A pair of firm arms clasp around Nara’s waist.

 

Nara snaps out of her trance with a start. Joonmyeon is standing above her, gripping her body. His normally arrogant face is now contorted into an expression of concern. To her dismay, Nara’s face flushes a deep red. Joonmyeon is too close to her. She can smell the spicy tang of his cologne on his skin. He’s so cute.

 

Joonmyeon sighs, helping Nara stand straight. “Alright, why are you nervous?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know,” Nara bites back. “Maybe it’s the fact that I’ll be making a speech in front of 2,000 people and if I screw up I’m dead.”

 

“But you know most of those people,” Joonmyeon replies. “You’re not afraid to talk to them, right? They’re just people your age. So you shouldn’t be afraid to give this speech now.”

 

    Nara bites her lip. “I... I guess.”

 

    “You’ll do well,” Joonmyeon says. “I believe in you. Even though you’re my competition.”

 

    And he smiles.

 

    Suddenly, Nara feels like the slithering slugs sliding around her stomach have been replaced by enormous butterflies. Joonmyeon looks like an angel from the heavens.

 

“Nara! Get out here! It’s time to make your speech!” a member of the AV crew hollers, and Joonmyeon and Nara quickly break the long look they shared with each other.

 

Nara blinks. “Coming,” she yells, while Joonmyeon gulps hard, quickly looking away.  

 

Nara blinks as she steps out onto the podium. The buzz of conversation and whispers from the audience float up to her ears. Nara squints. She cannot see the audience; the harsh white lights glaring into her face nearly blind her vision.

 

Nara exhales in relief. Now she can pretend that the audience isn't there.

 

"Students, teachers, faculty. Good morning. My name is Nara, and I am vying to be your student council president,” she says confidently.

 

The rest of Nara’s speech is a piece of cake: she speaks firmly, accentuating her words with gestures. Applause rings through the auditorium. Many students are actually on their feet clapping for Nara, along with several of the teachers and school administrators as well.

 

Although Joonmyeon is impressed, he is unfazed.

 

“Joonmyeon, you’re up!” someone hisses, and Joonmyeon confidently struts out onto the stage. The crowd goes wild at the sight of him- everyone from admiring girls to old teachers to members of the basketball team shouts at the top of their lungs for him. A smirk tugs at Joonmyeon’s lips.

 

“So it’s that time again, huh? Student council President elections. Well, as you all know, I’m Joonmyeon-,” wild cheers fill the air, and Joonmyeon smiles- “,and I’ve been President for 2 years now. And I have to say, it’s pretty cool,” Joonmyeon says, his voice bold and friendly.

 

The moment Nara hears the beginning of Joonmyeon’s speech, her stomach plummets. He’s good- actually, no, amazing at public speaking. Joonmyeon takes the stage like a seasoned professional, walking around and talking with the audience as if they’re sitting down at lunch together. It’s casual, and it works. The audience responds enthusiastically to Joonmyeon.

 

“I like to say being President is like being the quarterback of the football team,” he continues. “Can the quarterback give me a holler?” Giggles punctuate the air as Joonmyeon gasps and says, “Oh, wait. I’m the quarterback. So I guess I better holler at myself.”

 

As Joonmyeon continues speaking, Nara goes from being completely intimidated to rather perplexed. His speech is just goofy jokes and silly phrases, she thinks. Why isn’t Joonmyeon mentioning any of the hard work he does? No one knows that he puts in that much effort, but if he mentioned that in his speech, he would be good to go.

 

So when Joonmyeon finishes his speech and saunters back to the backstage area (amidst screams and cheers and claps), Nara slowly approaches him.

 

“What?” Joonmyeon says cockily, loosening his necktie. The sight makes Nara’s insides tingle for some strange reason, but she ignores the fluttering rising up in her.

 

“Your speech was good,” Joonmyeon tells Nara arrogantly. “But mine was better. At least, the audience thought so.”

 

Nara ignores the pure pretension of his words, and instead asks curiously, “Why didn’t you talk about the serious things you do? Your speech was all fluff.”

 

Joonmyeon’s smug smile fades away. Of course she noticed, he thinks.

 

“That’s what gets votes,” he frankly informs Nara. “No one wants to hear about all the hard work you’ve done, or what you’ve accomplished for the school. They just want to laugh.”

 

Nara is quiet. She looks down at her high heels. After a moment, she mumbles, “It’s not fair, though. A bunch of students out there still think you’re a good-for-nothing handsome face who hasn’t helped anyone in any way.”

 

Joonmyeon’s eyes widen. Then, he breaks out into soft chuckles.

 

“Well, it’s nice to know that you think I’m handsome,” he teases, and Nara looks up in irritation. “But really, Nara. It’s okay. I’m fine with being President without getting recognition.”

 

Nara’s expression softens. “Okay,” she sighs. “Hey... I’m sorry. For calling you useless before. Because you’re not.”

 

“Thanks,” Joonmyeon smiles. “I’m happy that you think that.”

 

“Yeah,” Nara murmurs, her eyes locking with Joonmyeon’s. The two gaze at each other, seemingly oblivious to their surroundings. Nara and Joonmyeon have enthralled the other, drawing them closer and closer.

 

Almost unconsciously, Joonmyeon slides a hand down Nara’s back, lessening the distance between them.

 

“I’m happy that you did your speech well,” Joonmyeon whispers. The scent of his minty breath wafts into Nara’s nose. “I told you that you could do it.”

 

“Thanks for the support,” Nara murmurs, and Joonmyeon is about to bend his head towards Nara, close in on her lips-

 

A door bangs open. “What are you doing?” Hyosung gasps.

 

Nara and Joonmyeon throw themselves away from each other so quickly that Joonmyeon ends up toppling over a chair and falling to the floor.

 

“H-hey,” Nara stutters nervously, standing up. She brushes her hair to the side, trying to cover her flaming cheeks. “Sorry, I- I’m coming.”

 

Hyosung glares at Joonmyeon suspiciously. “Um, okay,” she says, and walks away. Nara follows hurriedly, not looking back.

 

What just happened?, she asks herself.

 


 

Election Day.

 

“Vote Nara for Student Council President!” Soo Jin exclaims, handing out a sticker to a passing student. The student smiles and puts on the sticker. Soo Jin, Hyosung, and Nara are in the cafeteria, trying to encourage students to vote for Nara.

 

“We’re doing great,” Hyosung says. “A lot of people have said they’re going to vote for you, and put on the sticker, too. Nara, I really think you’re going to win.”

 

“Thanks,” Nara smiles apprehensively. She is very nervous. What if I don’t win?, Nara wonders. Then I’ll let the A.A. down. I’ll let everyone down. And Joonmyeon will be president again...

 

Joonmyeon...

 

Nara looks over to the other side of the cafeteria, where Joonmyeon and his other friends handing out “Vote 4 Joonmyeon” stickers. Her stomach turns queasily. Ever since that day, Joonmyeon hasn’t spared a single glance towards Nara. He hasn’t even or made condescending remarks towards her. Nara can’t help but be a little... sad.

 

“Hello? Are you listening?” Hyosung snaps her fingers in front of Nara’s face. “I said, you should go around the cafeteria and make people wear the stickers. I don’t care what you have to do to get them to wear them.”

 

“I don’t think that’s necessary,” Nara frowns. “The stickers are important, so we should focus on handing them out to people walking by. They’re more likely to head straight for the voting booth.”

 

Hyosung huffs in frustration. “Oh my god, can you listen to me for once? I’m telling you to hand them out to people sitting down!”

 

“Hyosung-,”

 

Shut up!” Hyosung screeches, and everyone in the cafeteria goes quiet. “Nara, do what I tell you! You cannot lose this election. Think of how many people are depending on you!”

 

“Whoa, whoa,” Soo Jin says, placing a hand on Hyosung’s shoulder. “Calm down. What are you doing?”

 

“Nara, you might think you’re all smart or whatever, but you’re useless. I know what’s best!” Hyosung shouts, oblivious to the deafening silence in the cafeteria. “Are you trying to lose?”

 

Nara blinks rapidly. feels like there is something lodged in it. “I- no, of course not-,”

 

“Oh, I get why you’re trying to lose on purpose,” Hyosung says, crossing her arms. “It’s because you like Joonmyeon! You want him to win because you like him!”

 

Everyone freezes.

 

It is so quiet, you could hear a pin drop in the cafeteria.

 

Nara’s face is burning in shame, indignation, anger, embarrassment. Tears are welling in her eyes as she stumbles backwards, away from Hyosung. Is this what everyone thought of me the whole time? That I couldn’t win, and I would fail them? Is this what the A.A. really thinks? I’m a failure. I’m actually a failure, I can’t do anything, I can’t win-

 

Suddenly, a firm arm wraps around Nara’s waist.

 

“What the hell,” Joonmyeon says angrily, glaring daggers into Hyosung, “is wrong with you?”

 

Nara’s eyes widen. “J-Joonmyeon,” she whispers, looking up at him, but Joonmyeon’s eyes are firmly planted on Hyosung.

 

“Wh-what are you doing here?” Hyosung asks in a high, nervous voice.

 

“No, what are you doing here?” Joonmyeon growls. “How dare someone this rude and disrespectful try to talk to Nara like that? You think she’s useless? The Nara I know is smart, driven, and definitely not useless.”

 

Hyosung slowly walks backwards, her palms outstretched in a “don’t blame me” gesture. “I- I didn’t mean it-,”

 

“Nara would never give up her hard work just because she liked someone,” Joonmyeon continues. “And if she actually does like me? Well, that’s great, because I like her too.”

 

Nara’s jaw drops, along with the other 100 students in the cafeteria. Out of the corner of his eye, Joonmyeon can see his friends gaping at him with their hands slapped over their mouths.

 

Nara looks up at Joonmyeon. Despite his seemingly confident exterior, she can see a hint of doubt, hesitance, anxiousness in Joonmyeon’s eyes. He’s waiting for you reply, a voice inside Nara’s head says, and within the next moment, Nara’s arm is wrapped around Joonmyeon’s waist as well. If possible, everyone in the cafeteria is even more shocked.

 

“Hyosung, I really appreciate everything that you’ve done for me on the campaign,” Nara says softly. “I know you’re probably stressed right now, and really nervous. But please, don’t lash out at me.”

 

Hyosung grits her teeth, lowers her head. Nara can see Hyosung’s face darkening in shame.

 

“I’m sorry,” Hyosung whispers, and she turns and bolts out the cafeteria. Nara bites her lip, watching Hyosung’s retreating back get smaller and smaller.

 

Then, she turns to Joonmyeon.

 

“If I were you, I would’ve spit in her face,” Joonmyeon says incredulously. “How’re you so nice?”

 

“I feel bad,” Nara replies, smiling up at Joonmyeon. “She did help me a lot, you know.”

 

“Yeah?” Joonmyeon chuckles. “So... do I get a thank you for backing you up?”

 

Nara pretends to tilt her head and ponder the question. “Hmm...,” she says. “Can I thank you like this?”

 

And she reaches up and kisses Joonmyeon on the lips.

 

Screams fill the cafeteria.

 


 

“Yo! Presidents!” Jihae shouts, scurrying over to the round white desk in the center of the room. “I have the files you two requested!”

 

“Good,” Joonmyeon says, tilting back in his chair. “We need to calculate these costs. President Nara, how do you think we should do this?”

 

“Hmm, I don’t know, President Joonmyeon,” Nara responds playfully. “Maybe we could use- oh, I don’t know- a calculator?”

 

“You’re so smart, President Nara,” Joonmyeon grins, and leans over and kisses Nara. She hums with delight and kisses him back, wrapped her arms around Joonmyeon’s neck.

 

“Ugh, will you two stop?” Jihae scoffs. “You’re going to make me vomit.”

 

Joonmyeon and Nara lazily detach from each other. “Oh, sorry,” Joonmyeon says lazily. “Uh, Jihae, why don’t you go... take notes on the staff meeting?”

 

“Uh, no thanks,” Jihae bites back. “Otherwise you two will probably have on the table. I have to monitor you.” Her comment causes Nara to blush furiously; on the other hand, Joonmyeon is grinning like an idiot.

 

It has been 4 months since the Student Council elections. After Nara and Joomyeon’s romantic display in the cafeteria, the entire school almost unanimously voted both of them to be President. Therefore, Nara and Joonmyeon are now Student Council Co-Presidents.

 

“They make such a cute couple,” one girl giggles dreamily.

 

“They’re, like, Romeo and Juliet or something. Joonmyeon is all jock-y and Nara’s a nerd,” another girl preens.

 

When Nara entered office, she made a few important reforms to the Student Council. First, she required the other officers to actually do work, lessening the burden on Joonmyeon’s shoulders (“I haven’t felt this free since middle school,” Joonmyeon told his girlfriend).

 

Second, Nara created a “Congress of Students”, comprised of various students from the school who wanted a chance to participate in school decisions. The leader of the Congress of Students ended up being-

 

“Nara!” Hyosung exclaims, bursting into the room. “The Congress has passed a decision to abolish all packaged snacks that contain MSG in the cafeteria. We advise you to enact this decree.”

 

“Let me take a look,” Nara says, poring over the details of the plan. Joonmyeon looks over her shoulder.

 

“This plan isn’t feasible,” he remarks. “Removing packaged snacks containing MSG would cause a steep decline in cafeteria income, and school income as a whole. I reject this plan.”
 

“Joonmyeon brings up a good point,” Nara says apologetically. “It’s a good concept, but needs more practical revision.”

 

Hyosung sighs dramatically and marches out of the room.

 

Of all the reforms Nara has made, however, there is one which is especially important to her heart (and the A.A., who has, for some reason, not disbanded):

 

Nara fixed the budget.

 


A/N: Daaaang this was so long