A Day at the Circus

Little Miss 1565

Contrary to popular belief, Kim Myungsoo was never able to easily get what he wanted. Sure, there were those times when a new Pokémon game came out, and he just so happened to receive it a month before its actual release. He didn’t expect the game to actually come, he was just testing his limits. But it was the unattainable things that attracted him, like when a baby sees a shiny object on their crib mobile. Their gooey little fingers reach higher and higher, but since their backs are so weak, it’s always unattainable.

So when his father showed up with two tickets to a circus far, far away in Cheongju, the unattainable thing was for once, within his grasp.

It was a childish wish, because those were the only wishes eight year-olds had at the time. Myungsoo didn’t know it then, but his childish wish was in actuality, a deeper yearning for a wholesome family relationship.

“That one!” his hands poked at the shiny glass concealing the cold air.

The cheerful ice cream lady scooped a perfect sphere of vanilla in a fresh sugar cone, bending over the small cart to reach his tiny hands.

Little Kim Myungsoo smiled, his eyes glowing at the treat. The cart spelt ‘homemade’ in swirly letters, and the fact that there was a person behind the lady churning cream in a machine proved to be true. He took a , smiling in satisfaction to his dad. “It’s good.”

His father smiled, his eyes crinkling at the ends. He wasn’t an old man, however years of hard work in managing his company has aged him farther than any other man of his time. “Great. The show starts soon, we should find our seats.”

Myungsoo nodded eagerly, bouncing after his dad. He was informed that this was a very popular circus that traveled during the summers in the countryside. It felt surreal, like the traditional children’s books of English children in red big top canvas tents.

He jumped up on the bleachers as close as possible to the sand pit where the performances were held, just a few rows away from the front. The metal stands were cold and uncomfortable, but he had ice cream and his dad, that was all he needed.

“This is nice, right dad?” he said gleefully, swinging his legs back and forth.

His father nodded, his hands reaching over to ruffle his fuzzy black hair. “It’s different, isn’t it? A break is good every now and then—oh.” his phone started to buzz, and Myungsoo could easily detect the ringtone like it was happy birthday.

Breaks didn’t exist for them. He smiled with a stiff nod, “Just for a few minutes. I’ll be back before the show starts.” before Myungsoo could utter a reply his dad had opened his phone, talking adult things with his adult business partners.

It wasn’t long before Myungsoo got annoyed of the cacophonous noise of the arena combined with his dad's smart talk, and walked outside.

He sighed, looking down at all the happy families spending their quality time tighter. Bitter, he took a harsh bite of his cone, glaring like the jealous child he was. His eyes were not only sharp-looking, but observant as well. He noticed a flash of black circling the perimeter like a mild breeze, wearing an ornate, but subtle earpiece.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, of course they wouldn't have left without any protection. Silly of him, thinking he could avoid his father's overbearing life for just a couple of hours.

"Hey, do you have change?" Someone tapped on his shoulder.

It was a girl, unfortunately slightly taller than him, asking for money. Did it look like a kid like him had money? Did he have ‘future business leader of the Republic of Korea’ tattooed on his forehead?

She had a round, clean face with eyes that resembled of dark chocolate. He noticed how white her dress was, made of silk and intricate lace tucked underneath. With material that expensive, she looked like she came from wealth. And from experience, Kim Myungsoo did not like little rich girls. Why would she need money then? Unless her family knew who he was and told her to blindly speak to him.

"No, why would I?" He replied. "Why don't you ask your parents?"

Her face exemplified shock, and within half a second genuine disgust. This baffled him.  "There's a well over there." As if to prove her point, she pointed to a wooden well off the grass terrace. "I was going to ask if you wanted to make a wish."

Myungsoo made a face, half from embarrassment and half from attempting to play it off coolly. "Oh." He frowned deeper.

"And you look like an idiot, come here." She reached for his stiff, starched polo sleeve and rolled up his one arm. Pearls of melted vanilla ice cream—oh yeah, he still had ice cream—swirled around his wrist and narrowly missed his dress shirt. “You eat like you’re two.”

“I’m eight and a half, for your information.” he said apprehensively, backing away.

“I’m turning seven next month.” she replied gleefully, “So, that well?”

Oh yes, the well. At least she wasn’t a catty girl, those got ugly. She seemed to brush things off easily, so he shrugged, throwing the ice cream which was now more like soup, in the trash. “Alright.”

“Wait! The show starts soon, will you have time to go after?” the little girl realized, flailing her arms around.

Myungsoo nodded, although he wasn’t entirely sure. His father’s schedule was tight as it is, and even in his free time, he was still doing work. “You should go find your parents.”

The little girl smiled ruefully, and her eager display of emotions was almost cute. “No, they’re at home. I was the only one who wanted to go, so they dropped me off.”

“You can sit with me.” He said before he even thought it. It must’ve been his subconscious understanding her wish for family compassion, just as he.

Her whole face lit up, glowing whiter than normal. Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile at her happiness, as she ran up to link arms with him. “Then what are we waiting for, let’s go!”

The duo made it in the knick of time, jogging down the steps to find Myungsoo’s dad who was half-whispering his rushed goodbyes into his phone. They bunched together because it got even more congested, but they didn’t care. The show had it’s happy moments, and it’s frightening ones. Everyone laughed when the clowns tripped over some dirty water, and there were collective gasps when a gymnast soared across the stands like a flying squirrel. People ‘ooh’ed and ‘ahh’ed when the beautiful ballerina dressed in layers of rose tulle performed a song with her submissive pet fox.

“Hey, do you wanna go outside?” Myungsoo asked once intermission was called.

“No,” she replied, almost in a dream-like state. Her eyes were still glued to the ballerina down below, kindly helping the fox back into her cage. “I’m going to move down and get a closer look, maybe she’ll say hi to me!” she hopped off the bleachers, her white dress bouncing in syncopation.

“Alright, come back soon so no one takes our seats.”

“We’ll be okay.” She flashed Myungsoo a smile, her black mary janes padding against the metal stairs.

“Hey, let’s go buy your girlfriend something.” his dad whispered in his ear once they stepped outside.

“She’s not my girlfriend!” he retorted, his face blushing furiously. “I just met her, and I don’t even know her name!”

And Myungsoo liked it that way. Keeping it for the sake of anonymity. He didn’t have to worry about being an heir to his father’s company someday, he could just be a kid with a new friend, just for today.  

“Fine, fine. But we should be polite and share.” his father insisted, eyeing a sweet potato cart. “Go back inside and ask what she likes, okay?”

“Yes, father.”

Myungsoo made a beeline for the tent, running as fast as his tiny legs could carry. However, he slowed his pace once he realized so many, many people were coming out of the tent at the same time. Finally, his feet stilled, his body feeling numb. He started running faster, realizing that there was grey smoke seeping out of the tent.

Fire!

Faster, faster. He willed himself, his small body being able to weave through the congregation of people. His little arms impulsively reached for the canvas tent, willing it open. But for him, it was too late. By the time he was inside, he only reached the third row from the top, before his whole vision was blurred out. His ears were ringing from the hysteria, crying, and yelling, begging for mercy. People were toppling over each other, doing more bad than good.

The entire half of the tent was eaten by flames, ash and cinders tornadoing around Myungsoo’s hair and eyelashes. His throat felt like fire itself.

But where was she?

Bodies were piling up, falling over each other like dominoes. Some were so hot, they melted into brown tar. It wasn’t long before his father’s bodyguard swiftly scooped up Myungsoo’s body, finding him before the tent collapsed altogether, thrashing in his arms.

“Dad!” he cried, his bodyguard rushing to his father, his noise overpowered by the people and sirens.

“Are you alright?” he asked, reaching over to rub the soot from Myungsoo’s eyes. He held him in his arms, swinging back and forth. “By the time I realized people started trampling over each other and I couldn’t get pass the barricaded passages. God, thank you.” he kissed his forehead.

“Dad, we need to go back!” Myungsoo continued, his feet itching to move. “She’s still in there!” he said, taking his dad’s arms.

But his father was stronger, not moving a muscle. “Her family will protect her.”

“Her family left her here! She’s all alone!” Myungsoo tried to reason, holding back tears.

His father sighed, his heart aching as well. He gave a nod to their bodyguard, “Clear my afternoon tomorrow.”


 

“Dad, why are we here?”

“You know I’m not the strongest person out there. I can’t lift or run very fast.” his dad willed a smile, but it was hard to in a place like this. “But at the very least we should contribute what the company has earned.”

He had an envelope between his palm, given in confidentiality to the secretary, who bowed graciously. “The hospital thanks you for your generous help.”

“Dad, I don’t like this place.” The overbearing scent of antiseptic started to burn Myungsoo’s nose, and the moans and groans of people in pain were a raging symphony he wanted to turn off. He tugged harder at his father’s blazer, trying to get him to move faster.

The hospital was now a makeshift morgue. Bodies were still being discovered, dead or alive, and injuries would be treated through home if allotted. They needed all the space they could get.

Outside, canvas rectangles were lined up on the grass like picnic blankets, but Myungsoo knew they were in a location far from a happy picnic. There were messily scrawled numbers in black marker on each patch of burlap. He held his father’s hand tighter as they walked along, however the tarps were continuing as far as the parking lot.

A wind picked up in front of a particular patch of rectangles, as if fate wanted to slap this poor boy in the face. Nurses scattered like ants trying to cover up the faces of the dead, some corpses burnt beyond recognition.

But it was too late, because by then, Kim Myungsoo knew who was under blanket 1565.

 


 


 

 

(a/n) Before anything. I must apologize. This in fact, was a Myungsoo/OC story, your eyes are not fooling you. For all the people eager for this update and wanting an OC story, I do sincerely apologize for this misconception. If you remove your upvote/subscription, go ahead. But I do suggest you try this out, because either way I have high hopes. But I have a good reason for this change in leading lady.

I have written six Myungsoo/OC stories. Six! I needed to break the habit sometime, and that sometime is now. However, Permafrost is still my first priority. This one is third. And I know I said I wouldn't update this until I was done with Permafrost, but I wanted to at least leave you guys with the prologue. My first Myungsoo/Suji story. Is no one pumped like I am!? 

I'm looking forward to this journey!

-sendohime