The Unexpected Change

A Quarter of Love

I was walking home from school on a chilly winter wearing the jacket that my father left me 2 years ago. That was before he left me for good without giving me a reason to believe in. I was 12 then. My mother died right after I was born, not even long enough to carry her daughter in her arms. I've heard rumors that I had a sister who was 4 years older than me but they said she died or was it she got lost. I'm not really sure.

Now... I have nothing but a mean aunt I has to get along with just to have someone I can call family, my cousin who treats me worse than a maid and my classmates who make my life in school a terrible experience. 

But despite everything. I have this friend who haven't left me. My friend who stayed by my side after the loss and the longing I had experienced. His name is Lee Howon. But I call him by his nickname, "Hoya".

We were friends as long as I could remember. Hoya is a son of a rich business man who moved next door when we were both 5. Like me, Hoya does not have a mother. I was told that his mother died in a car accident but rumors said that his mother left his father for another guy. I don't care though. From then, our fathers became business partners and the best of friends. But that was before my father lost all his money to a con-man. 

Hoya's father forgave my father but Dad cannot take the embarassment of what happened and decided to leave everything behind, including me. I'm not really sure if I hated him or I've been numb from the pain.

But I wasn't that sad. At least, I was happy enough to stay alive and breathe. I am brave enough to keep going without everything I was supposed to have. People might hate me but I really don't care. I know someday I'll be free from this situation. I just do not know when.

"Yeonnie!", I heard a voice called me and a smiling boy running towards me. My name's Park Jiyeon. People call me Jiyeon but this guy calls me Yeonnie. He's the only one who calls me that and I like it. 

"What do you want Hoya?"

"Ow, are you in a bad mood? I'm just saying hello to my bestfriend."

"Back it off before everybody sees you and my classmates might hate you as well for talking to a loser like me."

But he just laughed it out and said,"I don't care. Nobody would hate an intelligent and handsome kid like me."

It was intimidating but he was saying the truth. He is very intelligent and well, I must admit, handsome. He's like a prince out of a story book. He's got everything a prince is supposed to have: looks, wealth, intelligence, a palace, lots of guards, a royal dog... What more can you ask for?

But well, he doesn't have a princess. And I have no intention of finding him one. I was afraid that I might lose him too. 

After the silence, he finally spoke, "And I do not care. I know you better than them. Well, so much for daydreaming Yeonnie. Let's go home!"

I was surprised with what he said but I am very happy to have him as my friend.

We talked and talked until we finally reached his house which was exactly 55 steps from ours. Yes, we were silly enough to count it when we were younger. I was supposed to say goodbye when he said, "Ya, next week's a special day. Be sure to prepare for it. Bye!"

I just smiled to myself, of course I know what next week's celebration will be... It's his 15th birthday...

 

I finally reached home when I saw a limousine parked outside my aunt's house. "What it is this time? Is it a drug dealer?" Without even thinking about it, I ran towards the house fearing that it could be someone whom my aunt owes. And that she might finally sell me, like she always warned that she'll do once the situation requires it.

I entered the house fearing for my life. And then I heard a familiar voice, the voice that sang to me each night when I missed Mom, the same voice that reprimands me for being too playful or disobedient or noisy. It was the voice that I haven't heard for two years.

And when the voice finally had a face, he smiled, hugged me and said, "Jiyeon, it's been a long time. I have returned."

 

Just a while ago, I was wondering when will I be free from this unwanted situation I am in. I did not expect it would come too soon. But the question is, AM I READY FOR IT?

 

A/N: I hope you'll like it. Please comment! :) If you want more characters, please feel free to suggest. Thanks. Happy reading!